Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Exiled - First Impressions - TheHiveLeader - The Exiled Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageThe Exiled - First Impressions - TheHiveLeader - The Exiled Videos - MMORPG.com

The Exiled, formerly Das Tal, has just hit Early Access on Steam. The Exiled is an open world PvP sandbox with full loot and territory control. TheHiveLeader is on the scene to report on his findings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    For free I will check it out for sure even though I am not a fan of top down play.
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    "I definitely liked this more than some of the other games I've done recently..."

Was'nt "Ever, Jane" the last one you did?
    Minesweeper and Solitaire would also feel great after that one! ;)
  • TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234

"I definitely liked this more than some of the other games I've done recently..."

Was'nt "Ever, Jane" the last one you did?

Minesweeper and Solitaire would also feel great after that one! ;)

Hey... I wasn't lying :-)
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    I thought this was horrible. Even for free I could only bring myself to play it for one night.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

I thought this was horrible. Even for free I could only bring myself to play it for one night.

This looks to be the worst developed game of the recent batch of worst developed games. Movement, Combat Mechanics, and....heck everything else looks simply terrible.
    I can't believe Hive played this a couple of years ago, as it looks to have the development time of a week - worked on by the new office apprentice still hung over from their enrollment party.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Looks cheesey to me. Not impressed, but I don't like top down games......

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Not trying to say this in a rude way but this game made want to play Albion Online. I played this game for the entire 7 days but to me there were too many questionable design choices like the 28 day seasons that wipe all progress. You spend a few weeks leveling everything up then the following week the progress is erased. I thought MMO's have persistent worlds and ARPG's have seasons? Also the way everything is set up unless you have a few friends to always play with you will get ganked over and over. There aren't even tiered zones like in Albion so it's a gank zone right outside the starting area. I had high hopes for this game but masking poor design choices behind excuses like "It's a hardcore pvp game meant to be played with friends and we're still making changes etc etc" prevented me from spending any money on it. I did really like the classes, spells and combat though and if all progress wasn't erased every month would've probably bought one of the packs.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Played it for an hour or 2. Couldn't get into the feel, graphics, gameplay. About as meh as it gets.

Joined - July 2004

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    DMKano said:
    Yeah these are the devs who threw poo at ArcheAge saying how Das Tal (before they changed the name to The Exiled) was going to be a much better game etc.. etc...

Anyone remember that?

Hopefully a lesson learned for them.

I was just thinking about that. It's funny how the biggest smack talkers always seem to get their comeuppance.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

Kaneth said:

DMKano said:

Yeah these are the devs who threw poo at ArcheAge saying how Das Tal (before they changed the name to The Exiled) was going to be a much better game etc.. etc...

Anyone remember that?

I was just thinking about that. It's funny how the biggest smack talkers always seem to get their comeuppance.

It's good fun when they do get it. The very best fun is watching them deflate.

• InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited March 2017
    You wanna know something funny? They get their skill icons from a free game icon site I visit regurally :) http://game-icons.net
  • lashlashlashlash Member UncommonPosts: 32

DMKano said:

Anyone remember that?

I looked into that, didn't know about it. The Das Tal (The Exiled) devs did reply to that though, I found this: https://www.engadget.com/2015/01/21/das-tal-devs-we-dont-even-own-a-gauntlet/

Basically, he said as a game designer he was supposed to point out flaws in other games to learn from them, and that their game won't be perfect either.

While The Exiled isn't a perfect game, far from it at this stage, it does try something different. I've been enjoying the game for what it is, a PvP MMO (Social) Sandbox with limited RPG and PvE elements. There are "catch up mode" mechanics for the leveling where the longer the game world has been running, the larger multiplier you have on XP. You get levels extraordinarily quickly now, after the game world being around for 2 weeks.

There are some persistent elements for vanity items which apparently carry over after the game worlds end (at the moment 28 days is the game world lifetime, but they said it can be longer in the future), but it looks like the devs are doing sandbox experiments with the game worlds.

It's also a game which is perfectly fine to play a couple of hours here and there after work, and you won't be behind at all, especially if you're working with a clan. The solo player experience and new player experience especially need a lot of work, but it's a bit refreshing for someone who has been gaming in all forms for 25+ years and has other responsibilities in life. This game might flounder, in fact there is a big risk for that to happen, but at least they tried something different.
  • nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 166
    edited March 2017
    Nice review, yea seem like it will only appeal to a certain group
    Post edited by nhat on
  • DareberryDareberry Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Horrible game, looks outdated, feels outdated and lacks of complexity