Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online still one of the most popular mmorpgs

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
edited March 2017 in Black Desert Online
Its that time of the month again.  =)

World Of Warcraft of course still ranks as #1 but after that Black Desert is far ahead of everything else. The game is actually more popular now than it has ever been. Great job Kakou. 

Taken for Twich.com March 1 2017

BDO By the Numbers Year 1 Complete - Black Desert Online - MMORPGcom
Post edited by Mikeha on

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited March 2017
    Still boggles me that people watch video games being played....just don't get it.

Think I'd rather watch professional bowling. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Kyleran said:
    Still boggles me that people watch video games being played....just don't get it.

Watching MMOs being played lets you see the end game without having to grind to reach it, yourself.  Or lets you see raids without having to gather up a truckton of other people to do it first.  Or lets you see a boss fight without having to camp for it or go through a tedious dungeon first.  Or lets you see high end PvP amongst two high end players instead of trying it yourself and being curbstomped.

Or for those hardcore enough to do all of that already, it lets them see how others do it.  Or what it's like to do any of those with a different class without having to grind that class up yourself, etc.

All of that is a lot more interesting than bowling, IMHO.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    DMKano said:
    umm Dark Knight just launched today - so of course there's a bump in twitch viewership.

There are games that are far more popular but are not streamed at all - like Lineage 1 for example. 

This is not the first of these threads I have posted so this is nothing new for Black Desert. It is constantly in the same spot every month. You know this already. 

Everybody knows Lineage is a more  popular game and you know that is not what this thread is about. 

Just take a good look at what I posted. Its the same every time. ;)
    DMKano said:
    Recore said:
    DMKano said:
    umm Dark Knight just launched today - so of course there's a bump in twitch viewership.

There are games that are far more popular but are not streamed at all - like Lineage 1 for example. 

This is not the first of these threads I have posted so this is nothing new for Black Desert. It is constantly in the same spot every month. You know this already. 

Everybody knows Lineage is a more  popular game and you know that is not what this thread is about. 

Nah Black Desert dropped out of top 50 on twitch for months prior to the "winback" event with +100 Olvia channels.

So no - it's not been in the same spot every month - that is complete bull - and you know it

This is always only to show how Black Desert ranks on Twitch compared to other mmos. 

Take it for what ever you think its worth.  =)

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Recore said:
    DMKano said:
    Recore said:
    DMKano said:

Nah Black Desert dropped out of top 50 on twitch for months prior to the "winback" event with +100 Olvia channels.

So no - it's not been in the same spot every month - that is complete bull - and you know it

This is always only to show how Black Desert ranks on Twitch compared to other mmos. 

Take it for what ever you think its worth.  =)

You love Twitch you love BDO.... some of us don't care for either. 

I don't like watching folks playing video games i'd rather play them and I don't like hit 2-4 keys to get on skill off it's not intuitive or groundbreaking it's garbage. NO I DON'T WANT TO SIT THERE AND FUCKING AFK FISH.  
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Recore said:

Not according to the title of this topic...
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited March 2017
    Its ok, but not popular. 

Im waiting for the youtube vids, why im leaving again in 2017 lol

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Recore said:
    DMKano said:

While Lineage 1 is popular, its popularity is mainly centered in Korea, the other games listed have a more 'global' appeal, which is likely why they have a higher viewership on Twitch. :o
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Phry said:
    Recore said:
    DMKano said:

While Lineage 1 is popular, its popularity is mainly centered in Korea, the other games listed have a more 'global' appeal, which is likely why they have a higher viewership on Twitch. :o
    Fun fact that Korean BDO streamers apparently like Twitch for some reason since BDO's viewer counts clearly show that 2/3 of its viewers watch Eastern streamers. Just check the language preferences above the channel list to filter different languages. English is containing just a handful of streamers with mostly 1 viewer each and only three of them are above 100 viewers at the moment while the overall viewer count is being at 3.3k.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Didn't BDO merge it's servers recently? I don't understand this stream meme. Why watch someone else play the game when you could play the game? I understand people who fuck with streamers in BDO, but that's about it.

That's like using Steam to measure FFXIV population, no one would do that because steam-XIV is terrible.

That being said is it fun to watch people mindlessly grind practically inanimate npcs for hours on end?

This thread is baseless advertisement at best, though I'm having a harder time understanding how that many people still watch legion streams.

I'm voting a sub 50k population in NA.
  • PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited March 2017
    OP, your title is misleading.  It makes a definitive statement about popularity rankings based on Twitch views alone for one single day.  So if another title had more concurrent users or made more revenue on this single day of March 1, 2017 they aren't more popular?

Fake news.

What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited March 2017
    Lol twitch is hardly any indicator of which mmos are the most popular.  But I know you are a big black desert fan so it fits your narrative perfectly.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Some in this thread act like they have an investment in BDO falling on its face.

I don't have any definitive proof. I log in and play the game. With DK launch I was server hopping like mad and every level group, every server had multiple groups leveling Dark Knight. The game is alive and well.
    edited March 2017
    So much salt.  :p

These kinds of replies shows just how far some have fallen. 
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited March 2017
    Kyleran said:

It's more interactive than TV.  Plus I have something in common with the streamers.  Twtich is great.

As for the popularity of the game, it's mostly carried by BladeBoques in English.  He's a former salesman (and my former guild leader, so I know a little about him) and a very charasmatic guy.  Like many things on Twitch, the popularity of his channel is because of his personality.  He makes tons of youtube videos instructing people how to make money, organizes pvp tournaments, and plays the game basically 24/7 as well as apparently spending thousands of dollars on it.

Look at the numbers on the streamers and it's a few asian guys and him.  That's it.  That doesn't indicate to me the game is very popular in the West.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    free2play said:
    Some in this thread act like they have an investment in BDO falling on its face.

I don't have any definitive proof. I log in and play the game. With DK launch I was server hopping like mad and every level group, every server had multiple groups leveling Dark Knight. The game is alive and well.
    Yep, I noticed. I was there to see the swarm of DKs falling upon the lands the moment the servers went live. And that was even during a time where a good deal of the player base was at work.

But, shhh... it's a dying game. No one likes it. Because everyone shares the opinion of these few guys that hang around on these boards all day long to complain about the (many) games they don't like. ;)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    With all the horses and wagons parked everywhere in towns i would swear its the most popular game ever.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2017
    So because it has hits on twitch, its obviously popular...huh?
    edited March 2017
    Phry said:
    Recore said:
    DMKano said:

Post edited by Kyleran on

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

It's more interactive than TV.  Plus I have something in common with the streamers.  Twtich is great.

I see your point, since I don't watch anything as I pretty much fill any idle time actually playing games, no time to watch others do so.

Is OK, yesterday coming off an elevator yesterday a young coworker saw me holding a newspaper and could not understand how I could read "old news."

None of my rational explanations could persuade her of its value, apparently only fresh news was of any use. (and she thought my view that little of it really mattered to be terribly cynical, motivational speaker apparently I'm not.)

After we parted ways I thought perhaps I should have shared the fact I really only read it for the comics these days. ;)

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    While I agree BDO is quite populated, measuring games off their twitch viewership is not a way to see anything. Streamers have followings, that will watch even if they no longer play said game, or ever did in the first place. Plus usually one or two streamers host most of the viewership for a game (excluding behemoths like LoL and CSGO). The game is very populated, but alot of people are AFK since the game allows you to be AFK and do some things.
  • ThexReporterThexReporter Member UncommonPosts: 124
    LMAO... Twitch is still a thing?
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I'm surprised to see B&S above ESO.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I am not sure twitch is a great way to measure things but BDO still are rather popular, keeping the players far better then most Korean games (remember AION? It was huge for 2 months and then lost almost all western players).

But you certainly can't put it in place 2 based on Twitch, it do proves that there is some interest for the game but you need far better statistics to say anything more then that. It could of course be number 2 but it could just as well be number 5 or 7.

Not that it matter that much, there is interest for the game so there will be plenty of people to play with and new content, that is what really is important.
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    I really like how BDO lets me whip out my credit card and instantly become a "leet PvPer".  Gosh there's just so much "skill" involved!
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote