Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are people still playing Guild Wars 1?

EstherOpalEstherOpal Member UncommonPosts: 19
been thirsty for a classic mmorpg, i played GW1 back in the day and loved it, are people still playing it? im sure there isnt any new content but im just curious if the game still have a player base. 

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    its not a mmo. and the population was dead last time I tried.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• EstherOpalEstherOpal Member UncommonPosts: 19
    thats what i figured, i just think its funny they are still charging for it on Steam haha
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    edited March 2017
    I play random arena still... its still fun but I don't get glued for hours or anything anymore.

It sucks though because theres no way any new person is willing to catch up with the pros so no new people coming in.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    It's been on automated support for 2-3 yrs now if I remember. I logged into the game about a year ago and it was NPC's only in every major city. It's completely dead which is sad since it's still a great game to play.
    Joreel said:
    It's been on automated support for 2-3 yrs now if I remember. I logged into the game about a year ago and it was NPC's only in every major city. It's completely dead which is sad since it's still a great game to play.
    i liked it waaaaaay more than GW2, it had a cozy charming atmosphere and a great combat system, can we all just go back to the early 2000s? haha
  • seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    EstherOpal said:
    can we all just go back to the early 2000s? haha
    I wish, but then we'd be playing even better MMORPG's like Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Asherons Call and Final Fantasy XI  ;)

Guild Wars was totally a mid-2000's MMO, and played like it. It was a good game though.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

edited March 2017
    EstherOpal said:
    I wish, but then we'd be playing even better MMORPG's like Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Asherons Call and Final Fantasy XI  ;)

Guild Wars was totally a mid-2000's MMO, and played like it. It was a good game though.
    OH GOD SWG DX i miss the good ol days Q.Q though youre right i guess it came out in 08, you named all of my childhood mmorpgs *cries*
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    EstherOpal said:

Except GW (1) was NEVER an MMO.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Gruug said:
    EstherOpal said:

it was a massively multiplayer online role playing game, im confused as to what else it would be if not an mmo >.> i know it was heavy on the pvp but its still an mmo. 
    Gruug said:
    EstherOpal said:

True! But it's easier to talk about it that way. We all know what's up.

is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

edited March 2017
    though youre right i guess it came out in 08, you named all of my childhood mmorpgs *cries*
    I think it came out in 2005.

though youre right i guess it came out in 08, you named all of my childhood mmorpgs *cries*
    I think it came out in 2005 actualy.
    oh damn my dates are off XD 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Gruug said:

it was a massively multiplayer online role playing game, im confused as to what else it would be if not an mmo >.> i know it was heavy on the pvp but its still an mmo. 
    Well, to be fair did the ANET FAQ say it wasn't a MMO but a CORPG, like DDO and STO to mention 2 other (well, the FAQ didn't mention that they were CORPGs as well but they basically use the same system).

Then again, GW was far more of a MMO then many games considered MMOs today (like Destiny and Planetside).

But the PvE in it sucked since they nerfed it, was actually rather fun to play with a few friends before that, challenging without being very time consuming (particularly the vanilla game). Now it seems like there are some PvPers there still but not much else. Of course the arenastyled PvP is still the best of that type I played so maybe it isn't so strange.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    edited March 2017
    So yeah... this post inspired me to play for an hour last night. Still really fun!

Its impossible to get 25 consecutive wins anymore it seems like... doesn't take the losers long enough to figure out how to face you next round as scissors when they lose as rock.

Playing half-ass and being carried by the team doesn't work anymore at all. Getting 5 wins is good enough accomplishment but your team will be wiped as soon as people roll a team with the intention on crushing yours, which is what most people do everytime they lose a battle (since they know what class will be most likely to beat you the next match).

So yeah... going against the same people over and over again.. who half are typically g6-g11... much harder than it used to be.

On the bright side, if you know how to play, its easy to switch a class to beat a team that you had just lost to because you will probably have a rematch if you keep playing. So preventing another team from getting 25 is easy to do too.
    Post edited by Sid_Vicious on

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    thats what i figured, i just think its funny they are still charging for it on Steam haha
    Well, Anet have to maintain the server and its cost. It is generous enough of them because they don't close the server already.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Well, Anet have to maintain the server and its cost. It is generous enough of them because they don't close the server already.
    The server-structure is made so it is very cheap to run so it is more of a fan service then something exceptional. Still, they of course should charge for it as long as they have the servers up and running.

Guildwars was made for a very low initial cost while still being a huge success, something companies with low budget should consider, you can make a hit online multiplayer RPG that is popular for a relatively small sum and without making the game super easy. 

I am not sure why no-one kickstarted something similar, there certainly is room for a game like it, ANET did earn a rather large sumwithout making it pay2win (they did eventually add a small cashshop with a few skins in but they kept it running for several years with just the box prices).

GW is hard (or the PvE used to be at least, they nerfed it alot) but not time consuming, you can easily jump in an hour and make a difference either in PvE or PvP as many players with little time enjoy but they did all that and still made it challenging.

I would pledge something similar.