Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF MMO that gives you freedom

siliencysiliency Member UncommonPosts: 3

Hello. I'm looking for a MMO that gives you freedom to do or be what you want. I'm playing WoW and I'm kinda tired of being the "hero who saves Azeroth and defeated the Legion".

My sister started to playing ESO and sometimes I can watch her playing it a bit, but I dunno if ESO have the features I'm looking for.

For example, lets say I don't wanna do end game raids and dungeons, but instead I wanna be a bounty hunter that hunts criminals (players or NPC), recover a specific rare item, etc.

Or I'm a criminal and other players and guards who reconize me and will try to kill me to get money or exp.

Or maybe I just wanna be the said hero and that kinda of thing.

Also a skill system that works like ESO (the part that sword skill increase while using swords, staves while using staves and so on) If possible a game that is set in a world with swords, armor, magic, mythical creatures etc. nothing like too much futuristic (again, if possible).

Anyway I'm a bit tired, let me know if I forgot any important information.

Oh, also doesn't matter if its not released yet, a game that will be releaded this year its fine too.

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited February 2017
    UO is the only game that offers all that
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Age Of Wulin European version. 

http://www.ageofwushu.com/news/view/81

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited February 2017
    BDO doesn't really have End Game, and it doesn't have Dungeons or Raids.
    But iIt has lots of side activities apart from combat, it's kind of sandbox-ish.
    It has a 7 day trial, you might want to give it a go.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    DMKano said:
    Check out ArcheAge and BDO.

In AA you can use any armor and weapon and learn all skills in game all on the same character. You can be a criminal hated by all, you can be a peacful farmer if you wish, or a treasure hunter recovering lost underwater artifacts etc...

Black Desert has set classes but lots of non-combat systemsx like horse breeding, node and trade managment, aquiring knowledge frol NPCs etc...

There are cons to both games - if you want to be in elite top 1%, the gear upgrade systems might give you cancer
    Would agree, if you play both games casually and dont care about being at the top, they are both very enjoyable games. You can make a car in AA for crying outloud.
  • siliencysiliency Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited February 2017
    Gorwe said:
    Why not give Tabletop gaming a chance? I believe DnD PnP has what you are looking for. Also various NWN servers.

An MMO though? I'll have to consider that one.
    Well, to be honest I had think of that but I for while I want to play a MMO really.

Scorchien said:
    UO is the only game that offers all that
    Yea, a friend told me about UO (I never played it). It doesn't really need to have all that but anything close to that would be really cool, I just want one that is more recent that UO.

DMKano said:
    Check out ArcheAge and BDO.

In AA you can use any armor and weapon and learn all skills in game all on the same character. You can be a criminal hated by all, you can be a peacful farmer if you wish, or a treasure hunter recovering lost underwater artifacts etc...

Black Desert has set classes but lots of non-combat systemsx like horse breeding, node and trade managment, aquiring knowledge frol NPCs etc...

There are cons to both games - if you want to be in elite top 1%, the gear upgrade systems might give you cancer
    I played it few months after it was released and I thought it was a bit P2W, might take a look again.
    About BDO I'm waiting for it to be released on my country, till there I can only play using VPN.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll keep looking for more and check ArcheAge again. Also, my sister is telling me that ESO is a good MMO that has some of those stuff I've said, might play it a bit to see.

EDIT:

A friend just told me that they released the BDO site (teaser for while) in my language and region. Might come really soon.
    He also said that Chronicles of Elyria might be close to what I'm looking for.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Uncharted Waters Online likely has the broadest variety of things to do of any MMORPG ever made.  There's too much out there for anyone to do everything, so you're pretty much forced to choose what you want to do--and different players commonly make wildly different choices.  While the game has combat (and both land and sea combat as totally different things), most of the activities aren't combat, though.  Your examples are all combat, combat, and more combat, so it might not be what you're after.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Sounds like Darkfall may be your cup of tea.. Rise of Agon and New Dawn have closed beta access right now. Best game that I've played! Can't wait for launch!

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63
    I'm not going to comment on UO as I never played it enough when it was a top MMO.  If you don't case about graphical presentation, as it's very dated, take a look.  Most of what you hear about UO is nostalgia and the player base limits it.

Stay away from AA and BDO.  Neither are true sandboxes. AA is a dailies grind fest.  End game is you literally do the same thing (CR, GR, Halcy, MM) like a hampster on a habitrail day in and out.  Think of the dailies grind from WoW's past expacs.  BDO is less dailies on rails and is more open ended but as others have said there is no "End Game" just an infinite mob grind for xp with no hard level cap.  Both have plenty of side activities like fishing, horse breeding, farming, crafting; but at the end of the day you need to do the main end game activity: dailies or mob grind ad nauseum.  Neither has much of a compelling backstory or lore.

Both also have strong Pay For Advantage offerings where the more you pay the better your opportunities to advance.

ESO is the most polished and is considered a top AAA MMO.  It's not a sandbox and has a main storyline to follow with a ton of side quests.  The unique feature of ESO is that there are no level zones.  You can do any zone in any order as the content levels to you. So no more outlevelling the content and then facerolling PvE including group bosses.  ESO works hard to make you feel like the hero, but there are two DLCs which take a different spin on being a hero. One can be a heroic thief or a heroic assassin.

ESO also has the "use skills to level" approach and while there are classes, gear choice and skill choice on a limited hotbar make for many different class builds.  Lots of flexibility too, as you can swap gear and skills hot bars.

ESO PvP is best described as RvR with 3 sides involved in a constant tug-o-war of keep seiges in a specific zone (Cyrodiil) until the "season" ends.  I think the original days of AV might be the best analogy.  

Chronicles of Elyria is a long ways off, if the project succeeds, and is hotly debated when it comes to Pay For Advantage features.  It's too soon for anyone, even the developers, to tell you if their game will meet your described needs.  They are still in the formative state and so much can change that right now people are buying into vision, not product.

ESO is the only one of those mentioned that doesn't have a strong Pay For Advantage.  There are two monetization approaches they take.  One is a sub model called ESO+ which gives access to all base game and DLC content.  The other is F2P where you need to purchase the DLC you want to play.  The cash shop contains mounts, pets, skins, inventory upgrades, mount stat upgrades and consumables.  The two areas that border on an advantage are the mount stat and consumables.  I believe it would take ~90 days to completely grow your mount in terms of speed/stamina/carrying capacity.  This can be greatly accelerated through upgrades.  The consumables are not any stronger than what can be crafted and exist for those who either don't want to buy off the AH or skill up crafting.

I don't think ESO will satisfy 100% of your interests, but of those mentioned it will satisfy the most.
    What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Going to recommend EVE if you really want something different and the freedom to be who you want.

But there's a cost few are willing to pay.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon