Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Worthy Successor to PlaneScape & Then Some - Torment: Tides of Numenera Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageA Worthy Successor to PlaneScape & Then Some - Torment: Tides of Numenera Review - MMORPG.com

While several well-known cRPGs have been released over the preceding few years, none has bigger shoes to fill than Torment: Tides of Numenera. As the spiritual successor to the much acclaimed Planescape: Torment, fans will come flocking to the title for nostalgia’s sake. They will be rewarded with an experience that feels familiar and yet completely new in a genre that has been brought forward to a new generation.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

I was not a fan of the ending and the game was too short ( 21 hours) but otherwise a fine companion piece to the prior entry.

20 hours? After that long in development that kind of suprises me. Did you critical path it or does that include side content too?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2017

Grakulen said:

I was not a fan of the ending and the game was too short ( 21 hours) but otherwise a fine companion piece to the prior entry.

20 hours? After that long in development that kind of suprises me. Did you critical path it or does that include side content too?

@Grakulen I'm 16 hours in and pursuing all side quests and am only in the 3rd area. Unless I suddenly hit a greased roller coaster, I can't even begin to imagine finishing the game in 5 hours. I'll need to look up the reference, but I swear I read somewhere that a completionist journey would be in the realm of 70-80 hours -- and that doesn't include the huge replayability factor because I can truly see every replay being utterly different than the first.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Content locus in a cRPG confirmed?

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    First off, there is no “difficulty” slider. There is one difficulty and it’s a doozy. Additionally, there are no quest markers, no map indicators, no hints in the log as to where to go or to whom to return, etc.

Damn, I was looking forward to this game. Now I'm going to pass until they offer a patch where we have the option to have those things.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    60€ is too much.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Have they changed this since EA then? Cuz EA was boring as hell. Your sub title of a slowly unravelling story should have a huge emphasis on the SLOW.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2017
    Stuka1000 said:
    Have they changed this since EA then? Cuz EA was boring as hell. Your sub title of a slowly unravelling story should have a huge emphasis on the SLOW.
    Well, that's sort of the point of old-school cRPGs, isn't it? With over a MILLION words of conversation and description, it isn't going to be Diablo 3. :P

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

SBFord said:

Stuka1000 said:

Well, that's sort of the point of old-school cRPGs, isn't it? With over a MILLION words of conversation and description, it isn't going to be Diablo 3. :P

There is a well thought out, written and paced story and then there is one that is long winded and tediously slow, I found this game an example of the latter. Everyone to their own.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Stuka1000 said:

SBFord said:

Stuka1000 said:

There is a well thought out, written and paced story and then there is one that is long winded and tediously slow, I found this game an example of the latter. Everyone to their own.

How would you compare it to Pillars? I mean I get where you're coming from. I felt the same way with Pillars at first. Then again, I actually have a list of games that I keep in a text document on my phone that I'm planning on playing and how long each takes to beat, so I can schedule them. I don't remember doing that when I was younger. 

That being said, I don't think this is that dissimilar to older CRPGs is it? Like Baulder's Gate and Neverwinter Nights all seemed to unfold relatively slowly. I think that it's maybe that we just didn't have that many great games to play back then, so we didn't mind the investment. I haven't gone back to baulders gate or neverwinter nights, though, because I did replay FF1 a year or so ago and it almost ruined my childhood, so I'd rather leave the nostalgia where it is. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Nyctelios said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Stuka1000 said:

SBFord said:

Stuka1000 said:

[snip]
    [snip]
    [snip]
    [snip], because I did replay FF1 a year or so ago and it almost ruined my childhood, so I'd rather leave the nostalgia where it is. [snip] 
    I recently did a replay of every Final Fantasy title ever... Oh boy, it was a pain. "I don't remember it being this bad" was shouted out many times. With exception of 6. I really like 6.

Right???? I must have had waaaaay too much time as a kid because I could remember wanting to try to get to level 99, but when I replayed it, I don't think I made it past level 20 before I gave up.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------