Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you go about finding a guild now days?

ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
I'm curious, for anyone that has found themselves without a guild in a new or older MMO lately.  How did you go about finding friends, and a guild, to play with?  Did you look through forum posts?  Group with people for a dungeon, and found you liked them?  Or just answer a spam message in general chat?

Lately I've found myself without a tight knit guild, kind of bouncing around, feeling quite listless.  Usually I find that the people I'm playing with tie me down to an MMO more than the MMO it's self.  Granted the MMO still needs to be decent, but if you have a really good group of players, you often times will find yourself playing a game long past it's expiration date just to play with "friends".

Comments

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    I usually find a guild using the guild finder; most MMO's seem to have them.  Like most MMO's that I have played, finding a new friend to play with is not as easy. I usually convince my bf and RL friends to play the games that I enjoy with me. If I wanted to find people to do a dungeon with me, I use instance matching. I know MMO's can sometimes seem to be a lonely place if you don't have RL friends that are willing to play the same games with you.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • redneckgamerredneckgamer Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Yeah, I look on forums or use guild finder.  But honestly, it's really hard to find a good close knit guild these days.  Guilds don't seem the same as they used to be.
  • sneakerz007sneakerz007 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I usually look at the chat or shout that your looking for a guild specifying what kind you looking for e.g. casual, hardcore and like Allerleirauh was saying most have guild finding within the game or you can also go to forums they usually have looking for group or guild categories.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    unless i'm playing an mmo with my friends and join their guilds, then i just accept one of the random invitations. With that said, i only join if they dont require mandatory voice chat and a website guild application. I'm playing a game, not applying for a job.

• TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    I like to chit chat with people at random. Sometimes I stumble into somebody with a nice mount, nice looking gear, compliment them and if the conversation goes in the direction of guild talk, I may join their guild or listen to their suggestions about other guilds. Also works for me when people stumble into me and ask if I am interested in a guild project of theirs.

The decade I raided I checked out guild forums a lot, would spend days finding the right match and then proceed to pick up conversations with people from said guilds ingame, get a feel for the members and guild management.

In new games I pick a guild from nice guild advertisements in public chats. It can take a day or a month before I see an advertisement I think clicks with me, but when new in a game I like to just pick up the ropes slowly on my own anyway, find out if I actually like the game first before I commit to a guild. No rush.

But mostly its been pure coincidence. Meet a player here and there, continue to bump into them, share views on a bit of this and that and often I end up getting invited to really great guilds.

Guilds just often are on a set timer, they perish over time, then I move on. Usually with relative ease, because I dont stop mingling with people outside the guilds, while I am in them. So a word to a friend, that a guild turned inactive and the doors are often open to new places.

I am in really great guilds now in the games I play, but I have a feeling once these guilds perish I am probably mostly done with being in guilds at all.
    My gametime have become more and more limited over the years and investing myself in people, getting to know so many people, only to watch them move on eventually, it is a bit draining honestly.

But mingling with people, playing the game itself and just stumbling into nice folks, seems to have been my way of doing things.

So a bit of every suggestion you made.

Gl on your adventures!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I usually go browse the forums for a game I'm about to play if I'm looking to join a guild in that game. I'll go into recruitment forums until I find a guild that suits what I'm looking for, and doesn't have an application process since I really hate doing those. But usually it turns out pretty good.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I mostly don't.  It's been quite a while since I've played a game where guilds mattered.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I find guilds mostly irrelevant in the games I play.  I do spend time talking in chat and over time find friends that way.  When I did join a guild in the past I would find guilds by talking in chat and grouping and either I would be asked if I was interested in joining a guild or I would ask If I could join.  
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited February 2017
    The last few times I joined a guild I was playing group content with a bunch of people and we all got along so I joined.  I've also joined random guilds who were spamming in chat but playing with a few guild members and joining if you get along seems to be the best way.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    This is why I like the newbie guild that many titles use; provided a common thread between newcomers until they find a more permanent spot through grouping up with folks. :+1:

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    The last few games I've played have either not had guild finders, or the guild finders are un-monitored.  So guilds that are inactive, or only have 1 member playing are still listed.  Traditionally I've always found guilds by doing pick up groups for group oriented content, but with the new trend of soloist friendly MMO's, I'm finding it harder and harder to meet people in this manor.  When group content is done in these games, it's usually done via a group finder, and people join, do the content and leave without saying a single word to each other.

Really bummer, as an old school MMORPG player from the days of UO, EQ1, etc I look back and remember what the genre used to be like, how social and active the communities were.  Then I look at what we have now, and I am saddened. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2017
    First you need to find a game worth having a guild.So a long term game with meaningful guild options.

Someone in a thread the other day posted a similar concern i have with gaming..."guild hopping".To me it is like saying ok today you are my friends because i need something from you but tomorrow i have different friends because now i need to USE them and forget you.
    I don't like it one bit and says a lot about the developer's who allow this crap.I feel EQ2 did the best job of creating a guild atmosphere.

So this is yet another hurdle in trying to find a quality developer behind a quality game.Just seems so many bad ideas in gaming right now,idk who started it all but i can surely see most like to copy all these bad ideas.

One of the best ideas i got a hint from was EQ2.They used to have this idea where your guild could go out on a sort of guild quest to kill some elite Boss.I don't remember all the details or rewards but something like that could be improved on in a similar fashion or spur other similar ideas.There is definitely a lot of ideas out there to bring about some meaningful guild ideas but  developers are just so dam cheap and lazy when comes to actual content,aside from xp quests and instances.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    I don't really know what to suggest in modern MMOs. 

Admittedly, I have only ever been in three guilds. One guild I have been in since 2007 and I joined because my real life boss was in it, my first guild was in SWG but I was very casual, then I had 2 months in WAR as a returning player where I needed a guild. However, I have been a guild leader for years, so I can offer some advice. 

1) Determine what you want from the guild first. Then start searching. 

No point joining a RP guild if all you want to do is raid, or joining a PvP guild if you love dungeons. If all you want is people to be sociable with, keep thinking. Being social is facilitated by content - shared experiences - so make sure the content you want to do matches the guild. 

2) Never join new guilds

In my experience, they are the least stable, usually set up because the guild leader got kicked from a previous guild and is on an ego trip. There are exceptions, but they are rare. Better to go for an established guild - chances are they've worked out the kinks and established some good working practices. It can make it a bit harder to break into the cliques but I think it's worth it. 

3) PUGs

There is nothing quite like doing dungeons with people to get to know them. This used to be my favourite recruiting tool, but with the solofication of MMOs this has become harder. In LotRO as guild leader, I would make a point of PUGing a lot. The dungeons were 6 man, so I'd get 2-4 from the guild and pug the rest. The game had built in voice chat, so it meant you could take on much harder content than if you were just using text chat, but you also got a better feel for people. The pugs would hear the friendly banter from me and my guildies, combined with seeing a successful run, and we'd get to know them. 

That said, this same strategy failed miserably in SW:TOR. Without built in chat, most pugs were unwilling down download vent and connect to our server, so PUGing just became unbearable steamrolling of content with no chatting. It was dull and boring for everyone. Combined with the lack of challenge that game had, there was no way to really judge the skill of the player either. 

4) Research

I am an endgame focused player - I get my fun from PvP and challenging group PvE - so I would need to know that the guild I want to join can handle it. This means I want a dedicated voice chat system (vent or equivalent, not skype), a dedicated website with forum (not just facebook) so we can discuss builds and strategies, as well as a robust scheduling and loot system. 

Without these things, I know the guild is going to run into serious problems when tackling my favourite content. So, I do my research. I speak to existing members, read their forum posts and check out their website. 

5) Find that personal connection

Granted, as I've basically only ever been in one guild, this has been easier, yet it is the personal connections that make guilds special. When I start LotRO, I joined my guild because my boss was it in, yet we weren't necessarily friends. However, various people "clicked" with me over the coming months and each one made the guild seem special. Over time we formed our own cliques within the guild. 

Before joining a guild, I'd try to find someone to click with first. This makes integration within the guild much easier once you do join, but even if the rest of the guild sucks, at least you'll have that one person and chances are, if you then left, they'd come with you. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Payola of course, I buy my friends. :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

heh Lately I've been playing SWTOR & ESO.  SWTOR you don't need a guild what so ever for... ESO.. maybe
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    These days? I just wait for a random recruitment invite and if the guild looks like one worth joining I join.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

I don't really know what to suggest in modern MMOs. 

Admittedly, I have only ever been in three guilds. One guild I have been in since 2007 and I joined because my real life boss was in it, my first guild was in SWG but I was very casual, then I had 2 months in WAR as a returning player where I needed a guild. However, I have been a guild leader for years, so I can offer some advice. 

1) Determine what you want from the guild first. Then start searching. 

No point joining a RP guild if all you want to do is raid, or joining a PvP guild if you love dungeons. If all you want is people to be sociable with, keep thinking. Being social is facilitated by content - shared experiences - so make sure the content you want to do matches the guild. 

2) Never join new guilds

In my experience, they are the least stable, usually set up because the guild leader got kicked from a previous guild and is on an ego trip. There are exceptions, but they are rare. Better to go for an established guild - chances are they've worked out the kinks and established some good working practices. It can make it a bit harder to break into the cliques but I think it's worth it. 

3) PUGs

There is nothing quite like doing dungeons with people to get to know them. This used to be my favourite recruiting tool, but with the solofication of MMOs this has become harder. In LotRO as guild leader, I would make a point of PUGing a lot. The dungeons were 6 man, so I'd get 2-4 from the guild and pug the rest. The game had built in voice chat, so it meant you could take on much harder content than if you were just using text chat, but you also got a better feel for people. The pugs would hear the friendly banter from me and my guildies, combined with seeing a successful run, and we'd get to know them. 

That said, this same strategy failed miserably in SW:TOR. Without built in chat, most pugs were unwilling down download vent and connect to our server, so PUGing just became unbearable steamrolling of content with no chatting. It was dull and boring for everyone. Combined with the lack of challenge that game had, there was no way to really judge the skill of the player either. 

4) Research

I am an endgame focused player - I get my fun from PvP and challenging group PvE - so I would need to know that the guild I want to join can handle it. This means I want a dedicated voice chat system (vent or equivalent, not skype), a dedicated website with forum (not just facebook) so we can discuss builds and strategies, as well as a robust scheduling and loot system. 

Without these things, I know the guild is going to run into serious problems when tackling my favourite content. So, I do my research. I speak to existing members, read their forum posts and check out their website. 

5) Find that personal connection

Granted, as I've basically only ever been in one guild, this has been easier, yet it is the personal connections that make guilds special. When I start LotRO, I joined my guild because my boss was it in, yet we weren't necessarily friends. However, various people "clicked" with me over the coming months and each one made the guild seem special. Over time we formed our own cliques within the guild. 

Before joining a guild, I'd try to find someone to click with first. This makes integration within the guild much easier once you do join, but even if the rest of the guild sucks, at least you'll have that one person and chances are, if you then left, they'd come with you. 
    You're guild sounds like the type I would enjoy.  It's a shame LoTRo is pretty much dead.  :(
    Wizardry said:
    First you need to find a game worth having a guild.So a long term game with meaningful guild options.

Someone in a thread the other day posted a similar concern i have with gaming..."guild hopping".To me it is like saying ok today you are my friends because i need something from you but tomorrow i have different friends because now i need to USE them and forget you.
    I don't like it one bit and says a lot about the developer's who allow this crap.I feel EQ2 did the best job of creating a guild atmosphere.

So this is yet another hurdle in trying to find a quality developer behind a quality game.Just seems so many bad ideas in gaming right now,idk who started it all but i can surely see most like to copy all these bad ideas.

One of the best ideas i got a hint from was EQ2.They used to have this idea where your guild could go out on a sort of guild quest to kill some elite Boss.I don't remember all the details or rewards but something like that could be improved on in a similar fashion or spur other similar ideas.There is definitely a lot of ideas out there to bring about some meaningful guild ideas but  developers are just so dam cheap and lazy when comes to actual content,aside from xp quests and instances.

This brings up a really valid point.  Moderns games don't really include anything that give incentives to guilds to actually work together.  A few games like SWTOR have guild goals... but those goals can be completed 100% by everyone in the guild doing their own solo thing, and not really doing anything together.

WoW has raiding, which is something that brings the guild together to accomplish a goal.  But 1) a lot of people hate raiding for one reason or another 2) the other 5-6 days of the week, often times no one is even online in that WoW guild, or they do nothing together.  So this is also a flawed system.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Guilds joined through meeting a person seem to work best for me. That's opposed to finding a guild as an "institution" and only then getting to know the members.

Meeting someone while playing the game feels natural. Chances are you met them during an activity you both like, meaning you are likely to meet them again. This shared connection with at least a few members have always allowed me to feel like part of the guild. This does not necessarily need to be true when you join a guild through an advert or a global post.

There is a psychological concept called the propinquity effect. People tend to be friends with who they meet most often. If you meet the same person on your morning way to the office, chances are you'll become friends eventually, just because you meet them daily. A lot of games don't really support meeting people anymore - the zones are instanced, combat groups are randomly matched, sometimes you even group across servers. If you eliminate the possibility of repeatedly meeting the same stranger, it's going to be very hard to make any long term relationships at all.
  • Jackson_LeeJackson_Lee Member CommonPosts: 14
    For what purpose that I am looking for a guild is to get help from the members/other players. Therefore, I am simply apply for any guild that looks active and willing to help mostly through guild finders. After familiar with the game mechanics, I will look for the guild that more suitable for myself because usually the first guild I entered is not the kind of environment I wanted such as friendly regardless your level and gear, willing to accept new members for dungeon party, and most importantly trust between each other. 
  • EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91
    have bis gear and tell them you parsing x numbers and show them screenies

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    I would not bother to play a MMO unless I was in a guild, been that way for me from the beginning. But I can start a MMO for a couple of months before I make a choice, I do try to get one from day one if possible.

Start with their forums, if they don't have one scratch the guild off your list. If they are using social media or some such instead of a forum, same thing. If the guild has no place for meaningful discussion about anything why join it?

If you are uncertain about the guild you might want to create an alt to test the water for you.  But these days many MMOs allow you to see a players alts, social media profile and lifestyle details. Ok they are not that bad yet but you get the idea.

Good luck, their are still great guilds out there, in fact its one of the few MMO elements that  modern MMO "innovation" has not yet removed or diluted down to such an extent it becomes meaningless.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    laxie said:
    Guilds joined through meeting a person seem to work best for me. That's opposed to finding a guild as an "institution" and only then getting to know the members.

Meeting someone while playing the game feels natural. Chances are you met them during an activity you both like, meaning you are likely to meet them again. This shared connection with at least a few members have always allowed me to feel like part of the guild. This does not necessarily need to be true when you join a guild through an advert or a global post.

There is a psychological concept called the propinquity effect. People tend to be friends with who they meet most often. If you meet the same person on your morning way to the office, chances are you'll become friends eventually, just because you meet them daily. A lot of games don't really support meeting people anymore - the zones are instanced, combat groups are randomly matched, sometimes you even group across servers. If you eliminate the possibility of repeatedly meeting the same stranger, it's going to be very hard to make any long term relationships at all.
    I like the last point, and can vouch for it.  I'm playing a server which cannot be named in this section of the forums..  But it's a very group-focused game that doesn't use queues and megaserver tech.  At level 18, I was already running into the same folks enough to recognize one another by name.  This is the type of thing that people reference when they mention modern MMORPGs designing in a way that actively defeats the purpose of grouping.

laxie said:

I like the last point, and can vouch for it.  I'm playing a server which cannot be named in this section of the forums..  But it's a very group-focused game that doesn't use queues and megaserver tech.  At level 18, I was already running into the same folks enough to recognize one another by name.  This is the type of thing that people reference when they mention modern MMORPGs designing in a way that actively defeats the purpose of grouping.
    LoL now I'm dying to know what you are playing.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I don't even bother with guilds these days.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.