Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2017 'Relaunch' Announced at Investor's Meeting - The Secret World - MMORPG.com

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    We expect to learn more at PAX East. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Yeah, good luck with that combat. They'll need to fly a team in from Japan or Korea to fix that mess. The combat and aesthetics that go with it are goofy as hell. Looks like a bunch of geeks larp'ing about.

The strong points for The Secret World = the lore, the amazing quests + puzzles, skill building, and dungeons.

-Refine all the above
    -Graphical overhaul.
    -Animation overhaul
    -Combat overhaul
    -New side quests, that delve into the narrative that people love
    -Fix the GOT damn crap PVP

Anything less that this is a waste of money and time IMO. TSW is the type of game where I would not mind a properly done "clone".

FUncom just fishing about for some new cash IMO. Nothing genuine to see here.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I've always had a soft spot for TSW and I would love to see a complete revamp. The horrid combat and PvP were a huge turnoff. I'd give 'er another go.
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Fun game, let's hope they make if better.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I hope they bring back lifetime sub packs... I really regret not getting one and its the reason I dont play it anymore.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This a very old trick used by many a developer from days of old.It does work to infuse new blood,reinvigorate servers but NEVER lasts more than a couple months.By LAST i mean populated.

Oops i said never but forgot the one game that could FFXIV that is imo for different reasons and in all honestly not much changed in that game at all,people were simply looking for a reason to jump back into a famous IP.

TSW is not a famous ip,it will have no such success.

It is possible for games to rebound but the problem is quite simple.If the system guys never got it right the first time,they obviously are not in touch with gaming,so what makes anyone think their brains had an insurgence of thought?Of course never say something is impossible because there is always a chance but having seen their thought process on the original design,i will have to say this team does not have it in them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    hopefully my lifetime sub will actually become valuable again

I played for a year, so almost got my monies worth
  • redneckgamerredneckgamer Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Spaced76 said:
    Just NO . No No no and WHY oh WHY? what next re-release every bad game? pretend it new and different. No. MMOs are going to hell. First with this pre-pay, crowdfunding , green-lighting scam garbage ...Now lets re-release every other bad MMO . What game is next City of Heroes ? Wait Ship of heroes.. thats not ...it cant be....wait... it is the same game.  I will predict the future here. The next game to be Re Released will be ....Dungeons and Dragons. 
    not everyone thinks its a "bad game"  there are plenty of people that enjoy the game and are excited to see it get some love.  its not a bad idea just because YOU don't enjoy the game.  
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    While I have not really played The Secret World, nothing makes me happier in the world of MMOs than seeing one get a new lease on life.. I just hope that creative minds are behind the revamp decision and not greedy ones.. Thats probably hoping for too much, but I still do.. :)

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    THey'd have to completely redo the game...The combat and animations were just awful...Even if they'd have jsut went with AoC combat and animations it would have been better...Heck AO has better combat
  • OzBuzzardOzBuzzard Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Remove the stupid tree to travel between locations, that alone turned me off
  • prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109

OzBuzzard said:

agartha made me quit and i have a lifetime sub also

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Krynt0k said:

JeroKane said:

I never had that much problem with the combat personally. Animations could have been better, but never a gamer breaker for me.

It really required a lot of time Investment to find the right synergies and create the right build for the right zone.

The one thing that made me quit though, was Tokyo. That was a too huge wall to overcome for me.

I hated it! The Whole Aegis system..... it was bad designed and implemented from the start. It really threw off a lot of people and I saw my heavily active Cabal disintegrating before my eyes at a rapid speed. It really made a lot of people quit!

If there is something they really need to overhaul to protect player retention, even with this relaunch, then it's the whole Tokyo experience!

Without addressing Tokyo, they can relaunch all they want. New and returning players will hit that huge wall again and quit.

I enjoyed the game up until I spent a day in tokyo.
    I loved this game and really enjoyed the stories, I even accepted the holiday lag fests.  but Tokyo and that idiotic Aegis system drove me away.  If they don't do away with that then I agree with JeroKane. this will not make a difference.  But I will be following the updates with hopeful anticipation.

I wonder though if today's gamers have the patience for Secret World, the puzzles, the research, the mysteries?  (Sigh, I really miss the game).
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited February 2017
    Torval said:
    OzBuzzard said:
    They could still have a social hub too like Marvel Heroes hubs, but get rid of the tree or rework that area. Travel through it is clunky.
    I'd rather they encourage the social hubs to be the main cities and if they want they can just add global chats there instead (also all of them, not just London). I love the way the cities are designed. They're so cool to run around in and then of course there's the convenience of having everything you need. The tree is a neat idea and I think should stay in the game because it fits with the lore, but make it literally just a travel hub. Don't give people any reason to hang around in there, so remove chats other than a local chat and whatever else is needed.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited February 2017
    Interesting... I really enjoyed the story and general idea of TSW, but the combat was visually clunky and un-appealing, mechanically it was sort of OK if hidouesly unbalanced (at launch at least).

The thing that stopped me playing though was the steep vertical progression, for a game with so much horizontal progression it sure did force you into getting the latest gear (or having a specific OP build; Shotgun > Pistols) just to be able to do the basic content.

If they can pull an FFXIV:ARR with this I'm in... otherwise I feel like I got my monies worth the first time around, and a few tweaks aren't going to be enough to warrent a second.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kyleran said:
    Well we are talking about Funcom here so making the wrong move is pretty much par for the course.

Just a cash grab exercise taking advantage of a slow market, Exiles proved to them it would work.

Gamers buy prit near anything these days, they'll buy a tired retread too.

Exiles works for one simple reason IMO. It's setting, it's not like it is a retread for folks who didn't play ARK, RUST, etc.... I got Life Is Feudal which plays nothing like exiles. . I don't regret either purchase as I've had fun with both thus far. I'm not really sure why people talk so down on Survival games TBH. Which always seems to be people who don't play them (haven't).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    edited February 2017
    honestly, i think changes that they mean is rather things like rewards, access, and maybe difficulty or balancing or some boosts for new players.... i HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt they will completly overhaul combat as this would require long term serious work on animations, systems, mechanics etc. lots of people, lots of time, lots of investment - if youre expecting that youre gonna be seriously disappointed... besides that, relaunching in the same year as morrowind for eso is coming out is not optimal...at least theyre starting a bit before eso (i hope they were not forced to rush it because of eso...could be tough)...you could argue that they don't have the same player base - but there's certainly some overlap...(me for example) honestly, while the sw retained some core population this sounds like a last attempt to squeeze some last money out of it for the next 1-2 years before its done...i hope it works, i really lik the game and if it had TERA's combat i'd probably never look at another game... why can't i make any breaks in my text????
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Perfect! This game needs a proper introduction!11
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    seriously how the hell can i do a paragraph??
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

lahnmir said:

Curious what this adjustment to the business model means for people with a lifetime sub like me. I adore TSW and played it religiously for 8 months straight. Looking forward to what Funcom is planning to do. Thanks for the post!

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

Me too. x.x
    I tend to spend a little money here and there when I'm actively playing it, just to support the game... but I can't imagine us lifetime subbers being all that profitable for them. =/
    So this news has me half going "Uh oh, goodbye perks..."

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    If they had spent more time on improving combat rather than making cut scenes I might've stuck with the game longer.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

We expect to learn more at PAX East. :)

Well hammer them hard on the stupid Aegis system! If they want any retention, they need to address the Tokyo experience! It's crap and made so many people quit (me included), it's not even funny.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I know my post was harsh but I actually like TSW.
    It's just that I don't expect Funcom to put much effort into this.

Maybe they should do the same as SWTOR and focus on the strong sides of this title.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    The gear / crafting system is what threw me off this game :-/ I actually loved the story and gameplay.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited February 2017
    Bad news the game is closing down is what they are likely going to say lol.

And its Fun Com what can you expect?