Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Versus the WoW?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
If you take WoW as the standard almost everyone knows...  what are this games strengths and weaknesses compared to the venerable WoW?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Graphics + Storyline + unrestricted classes.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited February 2017
    Weaknesses: World is very instanced and zone design more linear. World is far smaller overall. PvP was essentially non-existent at launch and is now a tacked on feature at best but gaining at least in popularity (which doesn't say much). No diversity in class builds or gear choices. Combat is much slower paced.

Pros: Class and skill design is better (but still could use more build choices), graphics are better. I disagree on the story being better - I think WoW wins here but the FF series does have it's fans. Housing is done well. Crafting is very in depth with it's own classes. Caters well to both casual and hardcore themepark fans with a wide variety of progression activites that are easy to get into with little downtime, both in the game world and in instanced content (but this is nearly all PvE stuff).
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    FF14ARR pro:

- Low level zones stay relevant due to leveling other jobs/classes
    - You can do everything on 1 character
    - Dungeons stay relevant due to dungeon roulette
    - Public events called Fates
    -The FF brand
    -Proper crafting
    -Old mechanics don't go obsolete on an update/expansion. Its my biggest plus when it comes to FF14ARR. Remember your farm in Pandaria? It got useless with WoD. Remember your Garrison in WoD? It got useless in Legion. Remember your class hall in Legion? Pretty sure it will get useless in the next expansion. It really killed any feeling of structural progress for me in WoW, they just hit the reset button every time.
    -Housing

WoW Pro:

-Very few loading screens/a seamless world
    -A massive world
    -Better PVP
    -Runs on a 1984 Amiga
    -Pet battling

From this list it seems like FF14ARR is a clear winner but in reality I keep going back and forth between the 2. WoW looks, feels and moves so organically it is insane. Not even FF14ARR, a game I think is looking absolutely stunning and is animated beautifully, can touch that feeling.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• LordareonLordareon Member UncommonPosts: 3
    lahnmir said:
    -Pet battling
    There's Minion Battling and an in-game card game available at the Manderville Gold Saucer.
  • LordareonLordareon Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I didn't play wow very far, i can only say for the base game content after cataclysm.

I think if you like wow model of things but are sick of Wow, then you should give a FFXIV a try. I does many things very a like, but some other things very different. 
    The multiclass stuff is just stellar. that whole wall-gap of having to create another character if you want to do something else is just gone. Hence you level up each class separately, you gain bonus XP for the other classes you choose to level.
    Crafting and Gathering done in a very cleaver way using the classes system where you switch to say "Miner" class to gather ores, where the set you wear gives bonus to gathering, also helps on the immersion. 
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    A lot of people that have played WoW think the GCD in FFXIV is too slow.  Unless you play a MNK or NIN at the higher levels, most actions take 2+ seconds to execute, but you do get abilities to use in between on occasion to fill in the gaps.

As a long time Final Fantasy fan, I continue to play this game for the story mostly.  It sucks that the main story content is usually completed within a few hours and then you're waiting three months for it, but as a new player you'll have a LOT of story to go through if you actually like the storytelling part of MMORPGs.  There's also plenty of sidequests that shine some light into the lives of some of the supporting characters in the game.

There is a ton of things to do in the game, like you could literally not play another game and spend all of your free time in this game if you did everything it has to offer.  That's not to say you'll actually like all of the content in the game, but there is no lack of it.