Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This could very well be an amazing MMO

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
If the world actually IS dynamic, this is an MMO I've been waiting for for decades

I thought GW2 was going to be dynamic, they said how the events change the world and how dynamic everything else. But every event is timed, and all the events don't change the world. WoW is more dynamic than GW2, because I permanently see the effects of my choices and they don't just reset all the time. Plus, everyone puts GW2 bosses on a timer, that is NOT dynamic, that is a timed event.

I hope they aren't overhyping the part of cities growing and races/people being replaced. If its like GW2, its gonna be crap. If its actually dynamic, that is a breathtaking new feature for MMOs and could really open the door up to future MMOs to do something similar.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Always sounds great to the press and on paper but as you stated,tough to actually pull off.
    I have been wondering the same things and to be frank ,i just don't see it.

Example how is this change going to happen,right before our eyes?

You see what happens in gaming is a massive influx of people all in the same area at the same time.This wears off after a few weeks when the mad rush is gone but in the beginning it will be crazy.So how does this technology/node changing going to handle a massive amount of people but only in that zone/node for maybe 1-2 days?
    It would look rather silly if 90% of the population forced a node up then 2 days later they are all gone and the node resorts back to barren wasteland.Then the other area of concern is once that population is gone,starting nodes will become obsolete of players.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I've been to many auto shows and yet to see a concept car actually gets made. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    "This could very well be an amazing MMO"

Same could be said of virtually any MMO at a similar stage of incompleteness.   

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2017
    "This could very well be an amazing MMO"

Same could be said of virtually any MMO at a similar stage of incompleteness.   
    They always sound great on paper.
    Post edited by Kyleran on

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Theosis78Theosis78 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    interesting
    I'm seeking a firefly type game. If anyone knows a place in the verse were I can be a big damned hero let me know.
  • ThorrikThorrik Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I got high hopes for this game.
    But, I had that for Warhammer, GW2 and ESO as well . *Sigh*
    But I believe in the team... until we see otherwise. As always, I suppose.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited February 2017
    Thorrik said:
    You need to look at things realistically. Everyone does, but don't go in the other direction and exaggerate the negatives, or make up negatives out of thin air, to avoid having any hopes at all. I see a lot of people taking one of those two extreme approaches to any new game.

I wasn't excited for any of those three games honestly. I was watching them and tried them out when they released (and I think beta too), but didn't care either way. The fact that ESO and GW2 are fun in spurts when I need something new to play is enough. For two games I had no opinions on pre-release, I sure have spent a lot of time and money on both.

I'm not sure that I have "high hopes" for any other games in development, either. I've been keeping an eye on Crowfall but only spent $5 to post on their forums. I'm hoping it does well but everything I've seen from the start to today has shown me that they had great ideas, but lack in developer talent and willingness to adjust their vision to make it happen, even when faced with unified feedback from the testers to the contrary. So I'm not expecting much and as time goes on, I'm not even sure I want that style of game anymore as my tastes change. CU on the other hand was one I wrote off early for it's combat primarily, and now I'm giving it another chance based on some new info I found. Good thing I didn't get super hyped about either of those or shell out a ton of cash!

And let's take this game for example. They have a lot of great ideas, have more money and developer talent than many others, which means so far it's good. However my main concern personally is with combat. It's probably my number one concern in any MMO so I'm hoping they'll adjust it, but not expecting perfection. I'm not sure other things about the game really concern me right now like other people, but that's a pretty big if for me.

So I'd recommend people take a similar course. Be proactive about researching any game you're interested in, find out everything you can, participate in the community, but at the end of the day look at the facts. Don't distort things to hype yourself up or hype yourself down. Just try to view the facts without forcing feelings on yourself either way and see where it takes you. In the meantime, find a game - or a few - that you really enjoy so you can truly not care if a new game succeeds or not. If you hang all your gaming happiness on what if's, you'll always be disappointed. It's like looking for someone to date with a list of must-haves - you're never going to find someone that fits all of your criteria. And when you finally give a game a real chance that doesn't meet a few items on your list, maybe you'll discover you didn't really care much about those items to begin with and you'll have some fun with something new and cool.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Thorrik said:
    I looked up their team and am definitely NOT impressed.  Guess we will have to see if they can deliver.
  • BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    nah it's crap
    Leiloni said:
    Thorrik said:
    You need to look at things realistically. 
    Umm yeah I think you should...

Leiloni said:
     I've been keeping an eye on Crowfall but only spent $5 to post on their forums. I'm hoping it does well but everything I've seen from the start to today has shown me that they had great ideas, but lack in developer talent...
    Compare the resumes of the guys on the CF team to the AoC team.  They aren't guys that created a model that was used on EQ2 or did a voice over for an EQ2 expansion.  They are industry vets that have been leaders on delivered mmorpgs before.  

Please name ONE person on the AoC staff that was the lead developer on a shipped MMORPG  in the lead up to launch.  The guy currently listed as the LEAD GAME DESIGNER was in Customer Service until 2013.  His last job as "game Designer" at SoE lasted 1 year and 9 months.   I'm sure the guy is good and don't mean to pick on him but I just have to bring what you are saying back to REALITY.

You can not like the game or aspects of it, but to disparage the CF developer talent while hyping a game made by a "mmo gamer" and cast-off talent from SoE/Daybreak is silly.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited February 2017
    Leiloni said:
    Thorrik said:

Leiloni said:
     I've been keeping an eye on Crowfall but only spent $5 to post on their forums. I'm hoping it does well but everything I've seen from the start to today has shown me that they had great ideas, but lack in developer talent...
    Compare the resumes of the guys on the CF team to the AoC team.  They aren't guys that created a model that was used on EQ2 or did a voice over for an EQ2 expansion.  They are industry vets that have been leaders on delivered mmorpgs before.  

Please name ONE person on the AoC staff that was the lead developer on a shipped MMORPG  in the lead up to launch.  The guy currently listed as the LEAD GAME DESIGNER was in Customer Service until 2013.  His last job as "game Designer" at SoE lasted 1 year and 9 months.   I'm sure the guy is good and don't mean to pick on him but I just have to bring what you are saying back to REALITY.

You can not like the game or aspects of it, but to disparage the CF developer talent while hyping a game made by a "mmo gamer" and cast-off talent from SoE/Daybreak is silly.

You have to kind of figure Smed took the best of SOE/Daybreaks staff to Amazon with him.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Leiloni said:
    Thorrik said:

Leiloni said:

I'm not interested in resume's, I'm interested in results. My point with Crowfall is the process thus far has let me down based on what I'm actually seeing. For me, actions speak louder than words.
    edited February 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Leiloni said:
    Thorrik said:

Leiloni said:

You have to kind of figure Smed took the best of SOE/Daybreaks staff to Amazon with him.
    Honestly based on what I've read on Glassdoor about SoE, I highly doubt that. The criticism is pretty unanimous and on nearly every review. Most people said that the biggest failures were at a management level - so people like Smed and Georgeson who didn't know how to run a business of any kind, and also made bad decisions about game design. You should sign up for a temporary account (you can just use an email and nothing else) to read beyond the first page. It's pretty nuts and not at all surprising. I'm sure they had some lackluster employees but that appears to be more down to bad hiring and management practices. Based on what I've read, I suspect that anyone half decent left and is never looking back.
    edited February 2017
    Leiloni said:
    Leiloni said:
    Thorrik said:

Leiloni said:

I'm not interested in resume's, I'm interested in results. My point with Crowfall is the process thus far has let me down based on what I'm actually seeing. For me, actions speak louder than words.
    Yet you continue to stress the "developer talent" of the AoC team.  What "actions" are you basing that on?  Is it purely based on forum messages and 2 minute video clips? Isn't that kind of like praising the talent of an unproven movie director based on a 30 second trailer and 2 interviews his boss gave to a newspaper?   Doesn't seem very much based on "action" to me.

edited February 2017
    Leiloni said:
    Leiloni said:
    Thorrik said:

Leiloni said:

Yet you continue to stress the "developer talent" of the AoC team.  What "actions" are you basing that on?  Is it purely based on forum messages and 2 minute video clips? Isn't that kind of like praising the talent of an unproven movie director based on a 30 second trailer and 2 interviews his boss gave to a newspaper?   Doesn't seem very much based on "action" to me.
    I didn't say I'd buy it, but from everything I've seen thus far it looks good. That can change as I see more but what's wrong with saying it's starting out pretty well? For the record Crowfall started out pretty bad and I was saying that too at the time.
    You are answering questions that were not posed.  Multiple times you have written about the level of developer talent while disparaging other teams.  I have no issue with the disparaging part but I am looking for you to back up your claim that you are basing your evaluation on ACTIONS.  So please do share what actions have proven the talent level of the AoC devs.

• ScottB2JScottB2J Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Why is slap shot so negative? Is he a shill for another game? I'm getting that feeling. 

All anybody is is saying is "It's looking good"

and you're trying so hard to find some smoking gun or red flag. Give it a rest, and watch the development. 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    To soon to call this in any direction. They have given us so little info, the people following it dont even know how the combat system works. To many I heard this, I heard that. Unless you know the combat system they are using, you cant even judge if its your play style. Watching for now but all we got is good looking graphics. 
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    Not going to hold my breath. I know that much at least. People looking at every single MMO and thinking it's going to be the second coming of games, great man, keep at it. Chances are you're also going to be disappointed.
    I like to complain about games.
  • ScottB2JScottB2J Member UncommonPosts: 26
    They just revealed their development 8 weeks ago. Of course it's too early. But it's also too early for the constant negativity. 

Give them a break, and a chance to perform. 
    edited February 2017
    ScottB2J said:
    They just revealed their development 8 weeks ago. Of course it's too early. But it's also too early for the constant negativity. 

The "constant negativity' on these forums will have near zero impact on the success or failure of this game.

It lies entirely on the Devs performance and delivery, nothing else.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    ScottB2J said:

The "constant negativity' on these forums will have near zero impact on the success or failure of this game.

It lies entirely on the Devs performance and delivery, nothing else.
    Yeah we're just making ourselves miserable. We're entitled to that if nothing! ^^
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    ScottB2J said:

Remember that any publicity is good publicity. This game may get more mentions this week than Star Citizen, which would be a feat in itself. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

ScottB2J said:
    Why is slap shot so negative? Is he a shill for another game? 
    LOL

if you hung around here at all you'd know how silly that sounds.   I treat all games skeptically, even those I play.

ScottB2J said:
    Why is slap shot so negative? Is he a shill for another game? 
    LOL

if you hung around here at all you'd know how silly that sounds.   I treat all games skeptically, even those I play.
    You even back half of the KSers you critique. ;)