Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Do you prefer PvP? PvE? Both?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited February 2017 in Polls
What type of content do you typically seek in an MMO? PvP? PvE? PvX (Both)? Cast your vote and share your thoughts on why in the comments below!

Comments

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    I need both. I switch between them as I feel like it in a game so I feel very limited and eventually bored if a game doesn't do both well and give them both enough developer attention.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I dont want to do the same things everyday, I like variety.  Sometimes I just want to gather resources or explore the game world without worrying about getting ganked. Other times I want the excitement of looking over my shoulder.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    edited February 2017
    Leiloni said:
    I need both. I switch between them as I feel like it in a game so I feel very limited and eventually bored if a game doesn't do both well and give them both enough developer attention.
    I lean towards PvP, but I definitely seek both out as well. For me, it's more about having some good PvE content on the way up. I'm not hugely concerned about endgame PvE such as dungeons or raids; that's typically when I'll switch into PvP mode.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Always preferred PvE in MMO's. Mostly because the majority are class based and class balance is a nightmare and nobody gets it right. Then there's the old tab targetting. I play MMO's to relax so slow combat suits me.

For the adrenelin rush I play FPS games. PvP has always been done better with FPS in my book anyway. Or it was when it was a level playing field. Now they done fucked those up too, what with levels and items and P2W and fucking X-ray vision. Seriously, X-ray vision - we used to call that a WALL HACK FFS!
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Pretty much what jmcdermott said. I love pvp both in "rusher" quake-style or in tactical shooters like CS, I love pvp in board or strategy games (not the rtcraps though), measuring yourself against other players is fun.
    This however, has nothing to do with MMOs which the question was :wink:  there you measure yourself to others' gear, or level, or time investment, which is dumb and pointless. Not to mention I always was a story player in RPGs, both at p'n'p and in cRPGs, and RPG is about cooperation and not competition.
    So yep, in MMOs I just PvE.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I do a lot of PVE as long as it's in support of PVP activities and goals

Can't have one without the other in my book, at least not in the virtual worlds I like to inhabit. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    PVP is why mmo game balance is always an issue. Its ruined PVE gameplay in many mmo's.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    I think a game needs both but I spend more time PvE than PvP.
  • BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I only consider PvP if it's in big groups and well organized.
  • ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
    My time is split about 50/50.

And the sad state of PvP is the reason why I'm unsubbed from WoW atm. That, and the multiple layers of RNG surrounding the game and my 2 main classes x specs (MM Hunter and Affli Warlock, it's all about RNG and it makes for poor PvP AND PvE D:)
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    I voted both, even though I prefer PvE about 90% of the time.. PvP just has to be included for the game to feel well-rounded enough to me..

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I use to be both. Now just more into PVE as long it has a great story around it. PvP is fun but today it seems like way too many cheats for a lot of those games today. 
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    @natpick the hero. The sole PvP vote. TELL US WHY! :P
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I am 99% PvE. Rarely will I take part in any PvP. 
  • PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Both although PvP is highly dependent on the community.  One can only take so much toxicity when seeking entertainment.  Or is that an oxymoron?
    What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I would pick PvX if the latter wouldn't be forced to the other crowd.

So I vote PvE.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I prefer both but not in the same game.I was a pvp'r long before i was a pve'r.

I do not like rpg pvp at all,i want 100% balanced game play with pvp,meaning i prefer the Quake/Unreal/Cod type pvp where the only unbalance is latency.I do not want locked levels or different gear,different levels i do not want to ruin a game design to cater to pvp,i want pve in a rpg to be the best it can be and with pvp it will not be as such.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I understand both sides of the argument and if you are as i am one looking for true real immersion then both in the same game appears to make sense.However in a game it just doesn't work and either or will be ruined by the developer trying to make both work together.

The most common acceptance is if the game only allows those flagged for pvp or in some pvp zone but that ruins real immersion.It is like some dude walking downtown 209 at 2 am and gets mugged by 5 thugs then says,oh you can't mug me i am not flagged for pvp lol.Point being there is a fine line we cannot cross when comes to game design and aiming for the best immersion,we will never have 100% immersion in a game or 100% balance nor will every player be happy in he same game with the same ideals.

A developer "pretending" they can cater to everyone is fooling themselves.IMO aim for one or the other and make it the best you can and keep that one  target audience really happy.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2017
    I voted for both, though I probably tend to lean more to the PvE side with a sprinkling of PvP thrown in for variety. I think any game that is solely one or the other is missing something. The more variety of players in a game, the healthier the community, I believe. No one should, however, EVER be forced to PvP or PvE if that's not their choice. WoW used to do a good job at that...until Legion showed up with its abysmal PvEvP "Warden Towers" and OP "world PvP".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I am 50 / 50 on both PVP and PVP.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    I like both, but I like PvP when I want to PvP, not forced. Flagging system like SWG was preference.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I thought I had the both one highlighted, but apparently I only had PvP. Oh well I do tend to enjoy PvP the most out of anything else but if there is the option for both then I usually will enjoy PvE if it's good.
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    I chose PvE because despite my  best efforts I usually get my butt served to me.  Don't mind going into very LARGE group PvP , since I feel my sucking wont bring my side down that much, plus I might find an opponent who is about as bad as me and therefore be evenly matched.

• ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    I enjoy both and expect equal effort in both types of mmo gameplay, not interested in 90 percent pvp 10 percent pve or 90 percent pve and 10 percent pvp.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    I don't care for PvP anymore as I have found at the end of the contest there is little to be gained or celebrated. It might be instant gratification for some but if there is no lasting meaning to it why bother.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file