Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things are not good :(

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited February 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I regard this site as an accurate representation of the populations feeling of mmo players.  Sure it's .01 of the overall population, but the best source none the less.  No where else can data be gathered but here to be analyzed.  Believe me or not please prove me wrong, however if you do, I kindly ask for a good detailed source and a breakdown of how someone else came to their conclusion. 

Recently a poll was conducted on how our mmo enthusiast view the entire state of this industry...... The results were not good !

Now before I go on, I have to say something VERY IMPORTANT.  The situation is much worst than the facts below. Most enthusiast are so disgusted they move on from sites like this, never to think of an mmo again.  They simply don't stick around to argue, it's not important to them. 

31 to 5 say something is drastically wrong.  Along with the poll, enthusiast gave a written statement as to why in their beliefs.  Without going into deep detail the answerers were for the most part the same. 

This is how I break it down in a general way:

" Developers are not giving the player base what they want.  But what they perceive as people want, AS LONG AS ITS SHORT TIRM, SMALL, AND COST EFFECTIVE FOR THEMSELVES "

Everything above are facts.  Now I would like to give my opinion:

Video games and movies both have something unique and deeper than any other type of entertainment.

" Features catch the eye of intrigue "  If advertised well this could draw massive groups into their product, key word " intrigue ".  This word can be tricky because often it's a temporary feeling.  Marketing knows this, ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS CATCH THE LARGE POPULATION FOR  SHORT TERM.  This is the goal !

Again this is my opinion from many years of experience:
" They don't care if you stay "     " The big money is up front "

I say to this, an mmo can't be an mmo with this way of development, hence we don't have mmo's anymore  !

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Guess someone found another piece of sky. :p
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I should be more worried that only 37 people even deigned to participate in your poll. You know that as polls go that is an extremely small representation of anything you are trying to advance. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2017
    1st line, fallacy:
    I regard this site as an accurate representation of the populations feeling of mmo players.
    2nd line, the reason why 1st line is a fallacy:
    Sure it's .01 of the overall population,
    ...that just leads to more fallacies to follow:
    but the best source none the less.

Your typical thread...well, not just yours, most threads here follow same pattern :-P
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    There is probably a considerable number of people who just avoid your threads . 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    cheyane said:
    I should be more worried that only 37 people even deigned to participate in your poll. You know that as polls go that is an extremely small representation of anything you are trying to advance. 

I follow you on this Chevane,

37 is not much.......However, in the years I've noticed many people don't vote on this site for ALL POLES, not just mine.  Not sure why, maybe because they can't for login reasons ?

37 votes for 232 views is about right, add that views can be the same people over ?...Not sure.

As far as an extremely small representation, Yes, your right !

However, their is no other source other than this site, and a pole on it other than written text from the millions of topics and replies.  And many are very negative, It really is not just me, I'm just blunt.

• TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    edited February 2017
    Any chance the 15% that are happy with what ever current MMORPG they play, can be allowed to have their fun?

Or do companies have to do summersalts and try and please the 85% whom internally can not agree what makes a good MMORPG anyway? Which ultimately would probably after a so called real MMORPGs creation, would end up with just another 15% content people?

You have 100s of MMORPGs available, but insists that there has to be made one game above them all that pleases all? Or at least the 85% whom you think will suddenly will be able to agree that one game is good, once its made and they play it through?

There are some really nice MMORPGs out there and more will be made.

Can these games be improved? Sure, but improvement is subjective to each player.

There is not a fat chance the 85% that you try to establish group identity with, will all agree with you, once the game you! like, will be made.

Things evolve, you might not like the way things and games evolve, but they do.

Some will like the changes, some will not, but my guess is, that almost no matter what you do and how you try to switch the happy and unhappy people around in different games, it might be a pretty constant 15% that are happy.

One day a game will be made that will allow you to be in that 15% group, maybe, and if you will somehow be able to be comfortable being in the minority. 

You can do that now already if you want, but I have a feeling its not so much about the subject, as much as its about making threads, of this kind, for a bit of pass time discussion.
    Which is also fine. You do what you have to do.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
     I don't think I took the original poll, I come here less and less because there are less MMORPGs that show any promise of being anything but garbage.

I can only provide anecdotal evidence to support your post. The people that got me into MMORPGs don't play MMORPGs anymore. I don't play MMORPGs anymore. The reasons are the same,  WE don't like the changes in existing products and WE don't like new products. WE don't like the direction the industry has taken the genre.

Vanilla WoW brought new players into the genre expanding the marketplace for MMORPGs.  The real question is this, Is the market for MMORPGs growing or shrinking? 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited February 2017
    TENTING said:
    Any chance the 15% that are happy with what ever current MMORPG they play, can be allowed to have their fun?
    Yep, this is why I was among those who've red the poll and not voted. I'm happy with the games I play, and don't give a rat's behind about the hazy concept of "overall happiness" or "future of the genre". Are my main games perfect? Of course not, no game will ever be (but have to admit, TLJ was very, very close :awesome: ). Do I have fun playing them? Absolutely. And that's the only thing matters, that's the whole purpose of games and gaming.
    TENTING said:
    One day a game will be made that will allow you to be in that 15% group, maybe, and if you will somehow be able to be comfortable being in the minority.
    Already here, it's called TSW :lol:  They're focusing on the actual playerbase, and are giving a flying fck about the crowd of "change the combat and I will play" or "give a respec option and I will play" or "change the combat animation and I will play" :lol: 
    (at least that was the case during the past 4 years... who knows what are they planning for 2017 with the big update we still don't know a thing about)

---
    Just a sidenote, don't wanna derail the thread: if you really want to be unhappy with the 'future of the genre', it's pointless to worry about monetization, or buggy releases, or no new games released just re-heated Asian 3-4 years old ones. What you should worry about instead, is mobile.
    Fun story: a couple month ago at a friendly gathering a guy's phone beeped the alarm. "Oops, the raid starting" and he pulled away for 20 minutes, pushing the phone. This guy was the exact anti-thesis of my own playstyle: he's your textbook-case 'living by the raid-calendar' fella, close to 10 years in biggest guilds of wow, etc.
    Turned out he haven't touched PC MMOs since a year, he and his buddies playing mobile MMO now, because it is more convenient, can play any time, from anywhere, so it is more family-time-friendly, it's cheap, the play sessions are short, etc. So yep, if mobiles can turn even a former massively MMO-addict player, the 'future of the genre' is grim indeed.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    TENTING said:

Or do companies have to do summersalts and try and please the 85% whom internally can not agree what makes a good MMORPG anyway? Which ultimately would probably after a so called real MMORPGs creation, would end up with just another 15% content people?

You have 100s of MMORPGs available, but insists that there has to be made one game above them all that pleases all? Or at least the 85% whom you think will suddenly will be able to agree that one game is good, once its made and they play it through?

Can these games be improved? Sure, but improvement is subjective to each player.

There is not a fat chance the 85% that you try to establish group identity with, will all agree with you, once the game you! like, will be made.

Some will like the changes, some will not, but my guess is, that almost no matter what you do and how you try to switch the happy and unhappy people around in different games, it might be a pretty constant 15% that are happy.

You can do that now already if you want, but I have a feeling its not so much about the subject, as much as its about making threads, of this kind, for a bit of pass time discussion.

I do see where your going with this.  You can't please everyone. 
    It's why we have so many choices in the cars.  You need a variety of makes and models. 

However, it seems as the popular opinion is not the style of mmo, but the greed of the companies. 

It would be different if the problem were styles.

• TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    edited February 2017
    TENTING said:

I do see where your going with this.  You can't please everyone. 
    It's why we have so many choices in the cars.  You need a variety of makes and models. 

However, it seems as the popular opinion is not the style of mmo, but the greed of the companies. 

It would be different if the problem were styles.

Gonna put that on a bit of a one end category. So what you are saying is, in theory, if all developers stopped charging money for their products, people will be happy with what ever is produced?

I mean if its only a matter of the "greed" of companies right?

I seem to notice how faithful you are to your own ideas and thoughts on the subject, which is fine, we all have our key views and things we stand passionately up for.

However I would like to suggest that instead of doing everything you can, to avoid taking in different ideas and perceptions, that you try, just briefly, does not have to be always, but just every now and then, just try and do a "hmm, I wonder what this means" moment. 

Just as a suggestion of course. Games evolve by trying out new things now then and companies learn to earn more money, by trying different payment methods now and then. And people evolve by trying different reactions now and then.

Everything can evolve, you can too.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I think very few people would donate the time and effort required to produce a game without some form of money coming back for their efforts.  The ones that did develop such a game would probably produce something with a lot more creative liberty as they wouldn't have to worry about pleasing either the investors or the players.  If could be something like Firefox or the Wikipedia where you donate if you like the product, but it's not made purely for reasons of making a profit.  Perhaps one day that's all games will be like that.  No one will find it worth while to make a game for profit.  All that will be left are enthusiasts.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    cheyane said:

I follow you on this Chevane,

37 is not much.......However, in the years I've noticed many people don't vote on this site for ALL POLES, not just mine.  Not sure why, maybe because they can't for login reasons ?

37 votes for 232 views is about right, add that views can be the same people over ?...Not sure.

As far as an extremely small representation, Yes, your right !

However, their is no other source other than this site, and a pole on it other than written text from the millions of topics and replies.  And many are very negative, It really is not just me, I'm just blunt.

Er...there's Superdata of course, not a source I put much faith in but more so than any individual poll on this site.

Their reports show gamers playing all sorts of games right now, and do confirm MMORPGs aren't as popular as other genres, which has always been the case really, even in its heyday the genre was niche.

Game Devs collect data like this all the time, recently this site had an article from a Blizz lead sharing what drives players to quit and how it isn't often what many here say, changes in design.

CCP conducts exit polls, my friends and I all quit recently leaving the same feedback, changes in mining design. ;) 

But they've shared results before to explain their efforts to improve new player experience as EVE struggles to retain customers.

This site is a place where bitter old MMORPG gamers like me come to bitch our lives away and chase people off of our lawns.

Few in their right minds would create a game based on survey results taken from here.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Internet polls are notoriously unreliable, as they measure the opinions of the people most motivated to vote in Internet polls.  Remember all of those polls that showed Ron Paul getting elected president in a landslide?
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    You're presenting information gleaned from a poll made on the forums of a site with a primary readership of embittered MMO veterans, and a very small sample of said readership at that, as an accurate representation of how people feel about the genre as a whole. 

/facepalm

Move along folks, nothing to see here!

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I realize this is just anecdotal evidence, but I'm fairly positive its true throughout the gaming world:  I don't have a single friend that I game with who comes to these forums, or any other forums and reads about games.

I really enjoy talking about my hobbies; my friends enjoy playing their hobbies.  I have a high degree of certainty that those of us who visit here regularly and participate in polls are not the majority.

Yes, there's statistical evidence showing that MMORPG's are losing ground in the popularity contest war, however, I would venture to guess that it's just as much a factor of "OOOH SHINY!" as it is legitimate gripes with the game mechanics.

I really think that modern gamers are an "OOOH SHINY!"  group of people who hop from one new game to another.  I mean, you hear everyone talk about how great Modern Warfare 1 is... but what are millions of people playing?  Not MW1, but the newest CoD.  They could play MW1 if they wanted, but... *SQUIRREL!*

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    DMKano said:
    A biased poll on a single site with not even a 500 votes is used as a source of truth?

Really now?

Its amazing to what length people will go to reinforce their bias.

If that poll was about what kind of undies Kano wears, you would have gotten much more participation.  Then it would have been a solid source for most peoples bias against tightie whities.

=)
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2017
    " Developers are not giving the player base what they want.  But what they perceive as people want, AS LONG AS ITS SHORT TIRM, SMALL, AND COST EFFECTIVE FOR THEMSELVES "
    "Everything above are facts."

You're saying it's a fact the majority are unhappy, as well as this is the only place that is reliable to find that information? What the figgidy puck?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Aori said:
    I couldn't follow, what is going on?
    Someone having a bad hair day maybe? your guess is as good as mine!

News at 11 MMO's are increasingly niche games, the end of the world is nigh :p
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I regard this site as an accurate representation of the populations feeling of mmo players.  
    I think this is not true at all.

The large majority of MMO players will never visit forums. Those who visit forums are a very specific subset of the population - they will differ from those who don't post and just play. Out of those who do visit forums, only a tiny fraction will visit external forums (such as MMORPG.com). Again, those who come to external forums will differ greatly to whose who visit official game-specific forums.

My guess is most of the MMORPG.com users are players with long MMO experience. People who have played many MMOs and for one reason or another, enjoy talking about either the games in general. That is not say there is not cause for concern - the same dissatisfaction with developers seems to echo throughout the internet, not just here. At the same time, looking at WoW for example, there still seems to be decent interest for whatever WoW is delivering. It's not a social experience, it's not a customer oriented experience, yet people still seem to enjoy it.

In my opinion, the two most important metrics you can look at are player retention and the number of games a single player plays at a time. MMOs do vary in their retention patterns. You will have games that release, get 1M players and lose 90% of the playerbase in a month. This either tells you people are not interested in those ideas, that the ideas were executed poorly, that the game was short-term oriented or that the target market simply plays that way now. It may also mean there is a lot of competition in that sector - the ideas may be good, but there are too many options to choose from. It can also mean overhyping on release, getting the majority of players who are not your target market.

Then you have games that retain most playerbase and whose numbers climb steadily. Similar to EVE on release. This can mean that the idea is good, but not understood by mass market. It may also mean the idea is great, but there are not enough resources for marketing. Or it can mean the players are simply too invested to leave, regardless of how good/bad the game actually is. You sometimes see this with Kickstarter games - once the amount of money crosses a threshold, the founders keep funding the game, regardless of the amount of delivered content.

The point is, it's a complicated market with many factors. You would need to carry out a comprehensive analysis to answer some of your questions. I think there is legitimate cause for concern, but I don't think we will see a mass exodus of any online games. I don't understand the market well enough to tell you what we will see. I'm guessing a shift in the notion of what a MMO is, with a larger variety of MMOs coming out over the next few years.
  • EothasEothas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited February 2017
    Yes, sure. The bitter ex-mmo players that likes to distort everything with their rose colored glasses are right, they for sure know more than all developers and millions of players who still plays different MMOs. Better to spend time in MMO forums complaining about everything, dreaming with something that will never, ever happen.

Your perfect, social, grindy MMO of the 90's and early 00's will never comeback. Not even the grumpy dreamers would play it, they just have an illusion that they will be able to relive their memories when everyone was a newbie lacking information. Those times will never come back, if they do, it won't last more than two weeks.
    Post edited by Eothas on
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited February 2017
    hmm haven't played an mmorpg in a year... Still here.

edit- aah i see farming LOL's
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

not even remotely true.

Heck, I remember going to a PAX event and talking with people and they barely knew most MMO's though they Played Star Wars the Old Republic and World of Warcraft.

But then again would you consider them mmo players? I mean those are two of the most popular Western mmo's.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    So many posters on this site have played MMOs for more than ten years, I think that skews our thinking. If you have only played them for a few years, today's "MMOs" must seem great. We don't represent the MMO community, because there is no community. The only community you will find is separate ones for MMOs and this site, maybe there are others but nothing that represents MMO players as a whole.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited February 2017
    It's not just the size. It's the specific area that's being targeted. Do those people represent the general population. This site does not.

So small sample size in an area with a skewed bias is not representative of the market.

Here we have a subset of the MMO market (those that predominantly like older style games) a subset of that market (that that know about the forums) a subset of that market (that that post on forums) a subset of that market (those that bothered to post in this poll).

There is nothing in this that represents the market.

In good stat measurement they target several different areas or have an area with a good mix so that it is more representative of the wider market.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    If anything there are too many good games available now.  I have a hard time not getting side-tracked.  I know what game/games I love and want to play but there's so many others that are so different and well made that I always find myself interested and downloading another lol.
    Now, I'm not saying theyre all perfect games but theres a fuckload of variety.