Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The staggering size of Star Citizen, visualised

Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
edited February 2017 in Star Citizen
Here's a good info graphic that popped up on my Google app about the amount of money CR is taking in with Star Citizen.
http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331846115570/star-citizen-infographic-red-bull-games

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited February 2017
    Found the edit icon.  :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited February 2017
    All that money does draw attention and puts a lot of pressure on them to succeed.  I'm still amazed at the amount of income people have to spend on gaming.  Also, the graph doesn't take into account any other income sources.

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Not sure if this infographic is positive or negative. Its hard to tell these days.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Thank you for that infografic. 

Have fun
  • Radar11xRadar11x Member UncommonPosts: 118
    neat, hope 42 comes out by summer
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Wow, that's a pretty awful infographic

1.7 million backers? We know that's not true.

The game will be considerably larger than 100 sextillion km3 because it is currently 100 sextillion km3... (which is 200,000 km * 200,000km * whatever) a puny 3.5ls * 3.5ls * whatever...

If it only takes 2 days to visit all 77 (?) systems that's going to be pretty lame.

A script 1/3rd of the size is comparable? what is this guy smoking?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

If it only takes 2 days to visit all 77 (?) systems that's going to be pretty lame.

So 48 hours of continuous flying just to "visit" all the systems is "pretty lame" ? 

Sounds like you're complaining that SC's game world is "too big" ! :lol:

How many hours of travel would it take to "visit" all of WoW's zones ?
    edited February 2017
    So 48 hours of continuous flying just to "visit" all the systems is "pretty lame" ? 

Where does it say 2 days of continuous play? They could be talking about 4 hours on day 1 and 4 hours on day 2 for all we know.

The point being, it's a completely made up metric for something that doesn't even exist.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    They forgot to mention the most impressive number of all.
    The 2028 release date.

..Cake..

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Where does it say 2 days of continuous play? They could be talking about 4 hours on day 1 and 4 hours on day 2 for all we know.

The point being, it's a completely made up metric for something that doesn't even exist.

So, by your own admission it's a "completely made up metric for something that doesn't even exist"...

Yet you wasted no time in condemning this "made-up metric" as "pretty lame" ?

Never pass up an opportunity to run down anything related to SC, eh ? :lol:
    You go gurl! Move those goal posts around like there's no tomorrow!!

..Cake..

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    You can argue about some of the numbers. But anyway, I think probably everyone agrees when I say that the SC numbers are impressive. But the main question still is: Will there be a game in the end and will it be fun to play ? That is still uncertain and you don't get that info from these numbers.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    So, , When's it coming out?
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    So, , When's it coming out?
    @sgel says 2028, but that seems too optimistic.

edited February 2017
    So, by your own admission it's a "completely made up metric for something that doesn't even exist"...

Yet you wasted no time in condemning this "made-up metric" as "pretty lame" ?

Never pass up an opportunity to run down anything related to SC, eh ? :lol:

Haha, WTF man :D

A completely made up metric that's being reported as though it's factual... do you not see the problem with that?
    Do you really want people buying into the game based on bullshit "alternative facts"?

Of course it deserves to be called out.

What's stupid is that you think this is an attack on SC, that shows how biased you are about any "negativity", this has nothing to do with SC, it's about the misrepresentation and poor due diligence of what's contained in the article.

The only problem here is you trying to defend such practices... never pass up an opportunity to defend SC eh? lol
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Kind of wondering how long it would take to visit all the systems in Eve Online, i think there were around 8000 systems or so, and it can take 1 or 2 minutes (sometimes more!)  to go from one system to another in a standard shuttle, but say it takes on average 2 minutes, it would take only 16000 minutes to visit all the systems, or about 11 days. O.o
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited February 2017
    A fight over numbers?! Coooount me... out xD

Phry said:
    Kind of wondering how long it would take to visit all the systems in Eve Online, i think there were around 8000 systems or so, and it can take 1 or 2 minutes (sometimes more!)  to go from one system to another in a standard shuttle, but say it takes on average 2 minutes, it would take only 16000 minutes to visit all the systems, or about 11 days. O.o
    SC systems from what I hear will be big enough, obviously like EvE or Elite most space will be empty space so I hope SC is more contained than that.

Having one Elite experience on SC when it comes to traveling times is that sort of "realism" they can cut for gameplay instead.

But as confirmed there's no fast travel what is a good thing to make, makes the reality of trading interesting, and inputs the costs of continuously exploring.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2017
    Phry said:

I know one person visited all known (k space) systems, took him 7 real life years, but of course not in continuous play. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=320236 Still to go, wormhole space.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

MaxBacon said:

Phry said:
    SC systems from what I hear will be big enough, obviously like EvE or Elite most space will be empty space so I hope SC is more contained than that.

Having one Elite experience on SC when it comes to traveling times is that sort of "realism" they can cut for gameplay instead.

But as confirmed there's no fast travel what is a good thing to make, makes the reality of trading interesting, and inputs the costs of continuously exploring.
    What's the difference in exploring when having a huge world with fast travel than having a much smaller world with no fast travel?

It's just down to time spent. If you plan to make a small universe then you can't have fast travel.

..Cake..

edited February 2017
    sgel said:
    What's the difference in exploring when having a huge world with fast travel than having a much smaller world with no fast travel?

It's just down to time spent. If you plan to make a small universe then you can't have fast travel.
    For me bigger doesn't mean better.

After playing some other games that have the scale factor I'm totally for their plans of scaling down the universe and play field because in terms of space, most of it will be empty space and with high travel times everywhere; it's not where the gameplay directly is.

So even scaling down as they do, it's still hell big, but it will come to how much content will exist on a single system and how much hours of play it will provide to a normal player.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2017
    MaxBacon said:

Phry said:

The thing is, EVE has so many systems because there is up to 45K players online in the same universe at the same time.

As I understand it SC is not of same design so I can't see a purpose to making a similarly large universe.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    The thing is, EVE has so many systems because there is up to 45K players online in the same universe at the same time. As I understand it SC is not of same design so I can't see a purpose to making a similarly large universe.
    SC purposedly goes against that design yes, it doesn't make it small it's just the different design. It's more focused into put as much content inside a single solar system instead.

It's like PG Planets, they could go 1:1 scale but they don't want to, like Sean Tracy says, it's not about the size, it's about the travel speeds. Black Desert Online follows this for example, it's big and small at the same time.
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:

For me bigger doesn't mean better.

After playing some other games that have the scale factor I'm totally for their plans of scaling down the universe and play field because in terms of space, most of it will be empty space and with high travel times everywhere; it's not where the gameplay directly is.

So even scaling down as they do, it's still hell big, but it will come to how much content will exist on a single system and how much hours of play it will provide to a normal player.
    I never said bigger meant better.
    But smaller doesn't mean better either.

All that empty space you talk about does have it's purpose.
    I mean Columbus had to go through months of "empty space" to discover America.
    It wouldn't be the same if he had to go down the road for a stroll to explore now would it.

..Cake..

edited February 2017
    sgel said:
    I never said bigger meant better.
    But smaller doesn't mean better either.

All that empty space you talk about does have it's purpose.
    I mean Columbus had to go through months of "empty space" to discover America.
    It wouldn't be the same if he had to go down the road for a stroll to explore now would it.
    They have the ability to do both, this that sort of balancing that will fall a lot on traveling speeds and/or costs, will determine how fast will you move through the game space. So it's to be seen, and what will be the feedback on it.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited February 2017
    Better chug a red bull and donate some more!

/s

On a serious note, will Star Citizen have "exploration" type gameplay?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that this was in the cards.  Specifically, I mean visiting uncharted systems and planets.

edit: I found this after some brief Googling.  Is this more or less still accurate?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/38624/exploring-exploration-in-star-citizen-what-we-know-so-far

Apparently, in an interview Chris indicated they are aiming for '70% unexplored' at launch, with the ability to share charts with friends.  How long will that unexplored space last?  Two days?  A week?

This brings me back to a question I have about SC that still hasn't been answered, years later; will this game be a MMO or not?  General hype seems to indicate "yes", but there are some things about its design that are either unclear or indicate the opposite.

Case in point: exploration.  So if 70% of space begins unexplored, what happens when all that space turns into 'explored' space?

They are either going to have to go with something that changes over time (non-persistent), back away from the exploration mechanics, make it part of the 'singleplayer' experience...

This game is a mess from a design perspective; it's going to be a miracle if they can pull it off.  Best of luck to them.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance