Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively just copying stories from this site?

MorpayneMorpayne Member UncommonPosts: 21
So I've noticed almost, not always, but alot  of the time when an article pops up on this site it very shortly thereafter pops up on Massively. Is there some reservoir of articles from some mysterious source all online gaming blog sites go to to account for the similarity in content? Am I reading too much into this or? 

Comments

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    I've never felt like they copy but they are just really slow to post things. 
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Papers have been doing this for decades. Was bound to happen in gaming forums.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I think because MMO's don't have extreme amounts of news coming out, most sites will have similar articles that come out. Some might be later than others, if they come out in the same order every day maybe it would be copying but I don't think it's always like that.
  • Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326
    This is how the media has been operating for years now. Its also why there is a large spread of misinformation in this day and age.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I usually look at my Google app before going to bed.  I have it focused on gaming and a lot of good gaming news pops up on it, as it scans a lot of gaming sites.  It would be pretty easy to create a site or YouTube channel just based on regurgitating that information alone.  If a new game makes a big announcement, who won't cover it.  

I wonder what the percentage is of information received directly from game companies verses information posted from other sites.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Very often it is actually Massively that are first with news, and then for in depth and good discussions I come here. Since mmorpg and massively covers the same games, it is no surprise news are the same and articales within a short timeframe.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    In fairness to both sites, we do share a limited pool of news about MMOs -- there are only so many  out there and so many updating at any given time. In addition, we all, I am quite sure, receive press announcements from companies that want to have us cover their game's news and so on. In addition, we all use similar sources in apps like Feed.ly and what not so it's not a huge surprise that we have much of the same information at any given time of the day. With embargo times, seemingly simultaneous stories will crop up as well.

If I see a story at MassivelyOP first, I will always credit them with the find. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    kjempff said:
    Very often it is actually Massively that are first with news, and then for in depth and good discussions I come here. Since mmorpg and massively covers the same games, it is no surprise news are the same and articales within a short timeframe.
    Agreed. Massively has always been my go-to source for mmo news, since back when they were under Joystiq. They're usually the first to run stories. MMORPG.com has stepped up their news game a lot lately though. There's significantly more news stories than there used to be and the stories come out fast.