Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Pantheon FAQ up

Comments

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Nanfoodle said:
    Latest FAQ update. 

2.5 Tell me more about spells. Can you move while casting a spell?

Most spells can be cast when you are moving, however they will more often than not slow down your movement speed. Some spells will require you to stand and not move; likewise, some spells may not slow your movement speed. Additionally, while most spells are spoken, some are gestured, the latter being very handy when an area is silenced by a player or NPC.

My guess is gestured spells maybe insta cast? Just a guess. 

Hmm... Maybe songs are different? I guess we don't know yet because the Bard is not in. But as to what is described there, then Fear Kiting would still be in? As a Necormancer, you don't move. Still, the Necromancer is not in yet... 

Alot more information is needed! haha :)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Nanfoodle said:
    Latest FAQ update. 

Most spells can be cast when you are moving, however they will more often than not slow down your movement speed. Some spells will require you to stand and not move; likewise, some spells may not slow your movement speed. Additionally, while most spells are spoken, some are gestured, the latter being very handy when an area is silenced by a player or NPC.

Hmm... Maybe songs are different? I guess we don't know yet because the Bard is not in. But as to what is described there, then Fear Kiting would still be in? As a Necormancer, you don't move. Still, the Necromancer is not in yet... 

Alpha starts soon, not sure if we will get more info then or if it will be under a NDA.
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Latest FAQ update. 

Alpha starts soon, not sure if we will get more info then or if it will be under a NDA.
    There will probably be an NDA stamp on it. It's ok though, I'm in it and I will find out then. :)

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Latest FAQ update. 

Are you sure it's starting soon?  I think alpha is still a bit off from what I've seen.
  • ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Latest FAQ update. 

There will probably be an NDA stamp on it. It's ok though, I'm in it and I will find out then. :)

Technically pre-alpha starts soon, which is only for the $1,000+ backers. Alpha starts after pre-alpha phase. But don't worry pre-alpha is a really skeleton-like testing phase - it'll be like "log on during these hours and test this task" and these conditions may further even be race/class/zone specific. It won't be a free-roaming experience in any way (assuming they stick to traditional pre-alpha and alpha protocols games follow).
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited February 2017
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    How did they nerf kiting?  Or are you referring to the statement that some mobs will have anti-kiting mechanisms (just like eq).
    I have no clue, just seen it said many times kiting wont be an option in this game.
    Can you give a cite for that?
    edit: or are you saying "people have said many times or so I have heard".  Where have I heard THAT before?
    edit2: Thats an unfortunate assumption on your part that just because you heard a rumor that there would be no kiting that justified you claiming that they nerfed it, imo.
    Zuldan1 said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Latest FAQ update. 

Technically pre-alpha starts soon, which is only for the $1,000+ backers. Alpha starts after pre-alpha phase. But don't worry pre-alpha is a really skeleton-like testing phase - it'll be like "log on during these hours and test this task" and these conditions may further even be race/class/zone specific. It won't be a free-roaming experience in any way (assuming they stick to traditional pre-alpha and alpha protocols games follow).
    They have stated a few places that Alpha should start 1Q or 2Q this year and that they plan to be in beta for a year. When Beta starts who knows. 
    Nanfoodle said:
    Zuldan1 said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Latest FAQ update. 

They have stated a few places that Alpha should start 1Q or 2Q this year and that they plan to be in beta for a year. When Beta starts who knows. 
    All I'm saying is I'm not sure it's safe for us to get at the edge of our seat for alpha when pre-alpha has obviously yet to begin.
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    svann said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    How did they nerf kiting?  Or are you referring to the statement that some mobs will have anti-kiting mechanisms (just like eq).
    I have no clue, just seen it said many times kiting wont be an option in this game.
    edit: or are you saying "people have said many times or so I have heard".  Where have I heard THAT before?
    edit2: Thats an unfortunate assumption on your part that just because you heard a rumor that there would be no kiting that justified you claiming that they nerfed it, imo.
    Maybe one of the official people will comment again on the kiting thing. But I remember them saying maybe in a video or somewhere that mobs will vary some will root or stun you if you try to kite, some will just go back home, some will call friends, some will stop and cast range spells or abilities on you and a few will follow you forever. Of those that follow you some will be as fast as you are, some maybe faster and I guess some slower. I guess the slower ones you will be able to kite if you have spells or abilities that you can use while moving.
    edited February 2017
    Mylan12 said:
    svann said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    Maybe one of the official people will comment again on the kiting thing. But I remember them saying maybe in a video or somewhere that mobs will vary some will root or stun you if you try to kite, some will just go back home, some will call friends, some will stop and cast range spells or abilities on you and a few will follow you forever. Of those that follow you some will be as fast as you are, some maybe faster and I guess some slower. I guess the slower ones you will be able to kite if you have spells or abilities that you can use while moving.
    I remember that too, but it wasnt mobs in general but just "some mobs" that they didnt want soloed.  They didnt say or mean all mobs and they certainly didnt say that kiting itself was nerfed.
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    svann said:
    Mylan12 said:
    svann said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    I remember that too, but it wasnt mobs in general but just "some mobs" that they didnt want soloed.  They didnt say or mean all mobs and they certainly didnt say that kiting itself was nerfed.
    Yeah maybe so, guess we shall see. I not sure why people want to kite in a MMORPG anyway but guess it must be fun to some people? 
    edited February 2017
    Mylan12 said:
    svann said:
    Mylan12 said:
    svann said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    Yeah maybe so, guess we shall see. I not sure why people want to kite in a MMORPG anyway but guess it must be fun to some people? 
    Kilsin just responded to this very question 10 minutes ago on the official forums. Brad confirms aforementioned details about moving while casting, standing still while casting, etc then goes on to finish by saying "It's I guess a mixture of EQ & VG, although that may be an over-simplification." So yeah, there will be kiting
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Lol why do we waste so much time on pre-alpha games?
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    DMKano said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    DMKano said:
    GladDog said:
    One thing that was stated is that it is quite possible to solo the game, although a lot of content requires teams.  I'm glad.  With my whacky work schedule there are often times I am logging on when few people are on, no matter what the game.  So it is nice to have soloing as an option.

Of course, I want to team up!  That is when MMORPGs should shine!  But if I log in and start seeing tumbleweeds rolling by, it is nice to know I can still progress.

Soloability in Pantheon will highly depend on class - they have said that some classes will be much better at soloing than others.

so choose your class wisely ;)
    They also said the majority of the content will be teamed but if you figure out a way to do it solo. They are happy for you. Also Pantheon has removed kiting. So there is that. 

Nothing is set in stone, currently kiting is nerfed to hell.

The game is years away from launch and as they've stated - FAQ can be changed at any time.

The current supporters are all about team play so at this juncture its obvious that Visionary Realms will focus on team based featueres.

As they get closer to launch, they will look to expand their playerbase so expect "loosening up" of some hardcore team aspects near launch.

Player feedback during betas will change some features in ways the dev team might not even anticipate at this time.

but if they started to talk now about possible changes to kiting and other more solo friendly features , theyd atart to lose early backers - which would be bad.

So no - i dont expect the game to stay nearly as hard core as originally promised - will it still be group centric - of course, but dont expect things to not get more friendly and less hardcore as years pass and launch nears.

Bottom line - when a MMO is years away from launch, dont take everything devs say as gospel, as during developement things change, and sometimes in drastic ways.

Your interpretation of comments about kiting aren't really accurate. The comments on kiting at this point suggest that kiting won't be easy in that mobs will run as fast as players in some cases. That was also the case in EQ, yet kiting still existed.

I personally hope they do nerf kiting to hell, but nothing they've said suggest that. I hope every time you get out of range on a mob that is aggro'd on you, it attempts to a) dispel your run speed if you run faster, b) snare, root or stun you (whichever ability it has), c) ranged attack you with spells, bows, throwing weapons, rocks or anything nearby, or d) flee from the player if they cannot hope to kill you.

Kiting was fun back when mmos were new. Now it's laughably easy and has no place in it's infantile form.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Zuldan1 said:
    All I'm saying is I'm not sure it's safe for us to get at the edge of our seat for alpha when pre-alpha has obviously yet to begin.
    I read this and thought of this Dilbert strip: http://dilbert.com/strip/1996-07-05

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Zuldan1 said:
    I read this and thought of this Dilbert strip: http://dilbert.com/strip/1996-07-05
    Hahahah - that is so frighteningly-accurate to this discussion. :) :)
    Mylan12 said:
    svann said:
    Mylan12 said:
    svann said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    It can be more of a challenge than other types of fights.  I remember aoe kiting on my sorc in vanguard.  You had to time it just right because
    1 there was a cast time
    2 you had to face the mob as the cast began (or was it as it ended?)
    3 casting slowed your movement. 
    So you would have this great mass of mobs coming right at you and the cast would go off just before they got to you.  And yea - it hit unlimited targets.

svann said:
    Mylan12 said:
    svann said:
    Mylan12 said:
    svann said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    It can be more of a challenge than other types of fights.  I remember aoe kiting on my sorc in vanguard.  You had to time it just right because
    1 there was a cast time
    2 you had to face the mob as the cast began (or was it as it ended?)
    3 casting slowed your movement. 
    So you would have this great mass of mobs coming right at you and the cast would go off just before they got to you.  And yea - it hit unlimited targets.

One other, deeper dimension of kiting, is in EQ (I can't even remember if they did it in WoW, VG, or the 10 other MMOs I played along the way), they had resist checks, akin to D and D. What I mean by this, is you cast a snare, mezz, etc on target, there's an initial mathematical roll to see if your target resists the spell, but then, every "tick" of the dot or every few seconds of the "mezz," there is another roll (by this I mean an RNG'd number based off of the caster and defenders stats) to see if that dot, snare, or mezz will again deal damage OR instead be resisted, or in the case of a Mezz, the mezz breaks and wears off early, resulting in a mob wiping your group.

What I'm getting at, is the "roll" system EQ has forces you as a player to constantly be aware of so many variables. You HAVE to know when that snare rolls fails and the mob sprints after you, when the dot stops ticking or fades early so you need to reapply, or the mezz breaks etc. You have to be so alert, it forces you to be an honest, active player. Kiting adds this added fear/adrenaline rush, and even moreso since you are alone and don't have someone to back you. Heart really gets pounding in these games, because death means a lot of lost time, money, etc, but on the contrary, the reward feeling you get is just as equivalent.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I liked most of the answers in the old FAQ and as well the new one.

However each individual topic is just way too big to dissect into one paragraph.

Bottom line is it is nice to see a good direction in a game design but to actually pull it of well is the problem.

I could basically point to FFXI to almost every single topic that is in the FAQ.

I will choose one area that covers a lot of areas in the game...grouping.

In FFXI you got that BONUS for grouping with people,but it did not completely alienate those that wanted to solo and yet the game did not have ANY cheesy or free ways to xp.IMO it should be VERY obvious the benefits of grouping,yet all the negative Nancy's like to ONLY look at the negative...downtime,people they don't know etc etc.
    One area that scares me is the notion of "more than one way to level".IDK of more than 2-3 games that ever did this correctly.handing out xp for quests is just 100% wrong,unless they are related to your class or skills.

So i am a bit worried that Brad and team might add in some real cheesy BAD idea for gaining xp that is NOT related to class or makes sense.Examples i have seen....DISCO's VERY bad idea for xp because it has absolutely NOTHING to do with ANY class design unless we are  role playing a Cartographer.Basically i want to see Visionary stick to their word and design the game in a way that "makes sense" because that is all i ask.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2017
    The real question is, why do folks bother saying stuff like this?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Rhoklaw said:
    Distopia said:
    The real question is, why do folks bother saying stuff like this?
    Because times have changed and being a tester of any phase is now based on your pocketbook instead of your qualifications as a tester.
    News for you, high end testers with cred still get into alpha and beta programs. Just now common gamers get to enjoy this as well, over hit F5 on their email 20 times a day. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well the answer is usually WE don't but it is the marketing that does.These games and the media/websites are all feeding each other so the news never ends.

These games now a days feel they need to stay in the know or gamer's forget about them and spend their money elsewhere.

Besides the other obvious is 99% of the games now are crowd funded ,so they are constantly advertising their products.

Just when i thought we might see some daylight in game development,along came KS and CF games to ruin everything.Developers used to have to struggle to find investors and create a good product,now just make some promises,use naive people's money and start profiting before you even have a game.

What is the worst scenario...These projects create jobs for the studios and as long as naive people are willing to keep paying their wages,they are more than happy to keep taking your money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    As gamers though, we need to take a stand and say "You give us a good game and we will give you the money".......We've been burned more than a 10 time divorcee and yet many still keep blindly throwing money at these companies.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited February 2017
    As gamers though, we need to take a stand and say "You give us a good game and we will give you the money".......We've been burned more than a 10 time divorcee and yet many still keep blindly throwing money at these companies.
    If that's your requirement and you were waiting for a game like Pantheon, you'd likely never see that game in your lifetime.

People don't seem to understand that the investment money in gaming, particularly MMOs, is gone. Even the investment money Pantheon has received, were it not for progress due directly to crowdfunding, would have never been invested.
    Post edited by Dullahan on

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    If you're being burned that much you need to rethink your impulsive buys. With the regular access to betas, beta weekends, multitude of videos and lets plays, etc... There's no real excuse for getting burned. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson