Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you play on a PvE or PvP server ?

12346»

Comments

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Zuldan1 said:
    zzax said:
    Mylan12 said:
    zzax said:
    If game has servers split into PvP and PvE I won't play it. One type of servers or nothing, no workarounds.
    Guess you will not be playing it then. 
    Why? Theres huge chance that it will be PvE only.
    They explicitly said multiple times PvP and PvE servers will be in at release along with RP (role playing)
    I think maybe zzax was misunderstood in his post? I took it as he meant that all the servers should be pvp or all should be pve.  I "think" he really meant that they should be either only pvp or pve but not all mixed pve/pvp servers. I am not really sure though but it has lead to a chain of confusing posts. :p
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    The only PvP on PvE servers would be duels and maybe arenas. Arenas like EQ where it's an actual area in the open world where you can fight, not to be confused with instanced arena competitions.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    PVP and PVE servers will be separate, anyone thinking that this game is going to put equal resources into both play styles is delusional. 

This game is a PVE mmo first and foremost, make no mistake on that. 

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    PVE if I play. I am currently playing  fallout 4 because my current job and life don't allow me the time for an MMO. I will have to wait and see the finished game before even thinking about it.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Pantheon FAQ also says they have a way of balancing classes for PvP without it effecting PvE balance. So PvPers wont be snubbed, they are important to the devs as well. 
  • ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123
    PVP and PVE servers will be separate, anyone thinking that this game is going to put equal resources into both play styles is delusional. 

This game is a PVE mmo first and foremost, make no mistake on that. 
    True there will be separate servers, but even the traditional PvE servers will have PvP elements, areas, arenas etc. In EQ1 there was a gladiator arena behind the bazaar trading area, the GMs had tournaments with the winner getting a special title before their name you couldn't get anywhere else and special things like that.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    They should just make the game PVE only and focus on that...Quit trying to please the minority PVPers in every single game

I don't really care if they have some PvP servers, as long as they're not making design decisions and balance decisions based on PvP.  If you want PvP go for a game designed for that like Camelot Unchained.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited February 2017
    Hrimnir said:
    They should just make the game PVE only and focus on that...Quit trying to please the minority PVPers in every single game

I don't really care if they have some PvP servers, as long as they're not making design decisions and balance decisions based on PvP.  If you want PvP go for a game designed for that like Camelot Unchained.

Yes, I agree with both.

Even if PvP is 10% of the game, do you know how many people will judge the entire game by PvP and it's problems ?

Everyone !

Post edited by delete5230 on
    Hrimnir said:

Yes, I agree with both.

Even if PvP is 10% of the game, do you know how many people will judge the entire game by PvP and it's problems ?

Everyone !

From thier FAQ...

16.1 Many games struggle to create unique classes because of the balancing issues that PvP creates. How do you prevent PvP from affecting PvE?

The issue with balance and PvP vs PvE is not one that is that difficult to solve but it does require planning: you just use different formulas and data - you don't cross your streams. That way, if we need to make Paladins in PvE more powerful, we can do that without disrupting PvP balance. And vice versa.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Always been a PvE guy myself.  Personally, I'd rather not see Pantheon expend development efforts on PvP servers if the vast majority attracted to this game are PvE'ers.
  • boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    boojiboy said:
    Always been a PvE guy myself.  Personally, I'd rather not see Pantheon expend development efforts on PvP servers if the vast majority attracted to this game are PvE'ers.
    LOL..oops

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Nanfoodle said:
    Hrimnir said:

Yes, I agree with both.

Everyone !

From thier FAQ...

16.1 Many games struggle to create unique classes because of the balancing issues that PvP creates. How do you prevent PvP from affecting PvE?

The issue with balance and PvP vs PvE is not one that is that difficult to solve but it does require planning: you just use different formulas and data - you don't cross your streams. That way, if we need to make Paladins in PvE more powerful, we can do that without disrupting PvP balance. And vice versa.

I think that would imply a completely separate spellset for pvp.  You could call them the same names but each one would need to be crafted anew.
    svann said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Hrimnir said:

Yes, I agree with both.

Everyone !

From thier FAQ...

I think that would imply a completely separate spellset for pvp.  You could call them the same names but each one would need to be crafted anew.
    Not really. Same spells that say snares could have description of:

Snare

NPC Target: Snares movement 75% for up to 60 seconds

Player Target: Snares movement 40% for up to 20 seconds

Same skills different effect on a different target. 
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    what info is known about pvp?

are there racial wars? city capturing and so fort?

edited February 2017
    what info is known about pvp?

are there racial wars? city capturing and so fort?

It hasn't been determined yet which ruleset the PvP server(s) will have, or even how many there will be. If by launch there is enough interest shown by the community, there could be more than one.

All we know at this point is that they have assured us there will be a PvP server. That may just be a free for all server, or it could be some sort of teams set up based on races or factions.

My personal preference would be that faction plays a part in any PvP server, and killing players of your own race or allied races results in a faction hit. That would discourage senseless ganking and encourage teamwork and rivalry against hostile peoples determined by the world lore.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Strictly PvE

I have, and have never had, any interest in PvP.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299

This IS NOT AND WILL NOT BE A PVP GAME. MMORPGs were designed at the heart to be PVE centric. 98% of the people interested in this game HATE PVP!!!!

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    PvP

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    bentrim said:

This IS NOT AND WILL NOT BE A PVP GAME. MMORPGs were designed at the heart to be PVE centric. 98% of the people interested in this game HATE PVP!!!!

actually, it will be a pvp game too because it will feature pvp servers just like everquest did. 

no, all mmorpg's are not and were not designed to be pve-centric. your made up statistic isn't accurate either and caps lock doesn't make it true.

Considering very few "pvp" players will even open a thread on Pantheon, the fact that 17% in this very poll are interested in a PvP server speaks volumes. Also, the fact that nearly half of WoW servers were PvP confirms the same.

The demand for PvP in online games is only increasing. The fact that thus far, PvP focused games have done so poorly is almost entirely due to the fact that those games have totally neglected the non-PvP aspect of the game, and it doesn't make for a very interesting MMORPG for the majority of players - regardless of whether they enjoy PvP.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited March 2017
    Dullahan said:
    Considering very few "pvp" players will even open a thread on Pantheon, the fact that 17% in this very poll are interested in a PvP server speaks volumes. Also, the fact that nearly half of WoW servers were PvP confirms the same.

The demand for PvP in online games is only increasing. The fact that thus far, PvP focused games have done so poorly is almost entirely due to the fact that those games have totally neglected the non-PvP aspect of the game, and it doesn't make for a very interesting MMORPG for the majority of players - regardless of whether they enjoy PvP.

I agree and disagree,

The problem with having any PvP if you like PvP or not, is all the threads will focus on the negativity of the problems with it !

Lets say we have 50 servers of PvE only and 5 servers of PvP.......EVERYONE will be talking about the PvP........PvP is a bad idea, at least for now.

Your right about games totally neglected the non-PvP aspect of the game.

In order for PvP to work, it has to be natural.  To have natural the world has to be extremely large for encounters now and then by chance " or " the need to search the large world for it.....WoW did this !
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    After Eve I will never pay a monthly fee to be ganked.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Well the poll says it all. 

In an indie game with a very targeted audience, the twelve people PvPing should have a blast.  :p