Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - Morrowind is the Culmination of the First Three Years of ESO’s Life - MMORPG.

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageElder Scrolls Online - Morrowind is the Culmination of the First Three Years of ESO’s Life - MMORPG.com

The Elder Scrolls Online has become one of the premiere MMORPGs in North America and Europe. Really, when you think about it, there are just four big earning traditional MMOs in the West: World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XIV, SWTOR, and ESO. Zenimax’s flagship MMO has come a long way since launch to dominate the charts, and this June its first big Chapter will be the culmination of everything the team has learned since 2014’s original release.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    All this added and they still can't fix the server lag and disconnects that have plagued the game since beta.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    When I've played I have never experienced server lag or disconnects. At least not since like 6 months into the game releasing. I don't play much anymore, but still pop in from time to time. I love the 1st person view and the questing experience. A lot of this MMO is what I feel MMOs should be. It's too bad I don't have any IRL friends who will play this with me, so instead i'm stuck playing FFXIV if I want to engage in a game with them. Even so, I took about 8 months and said screw them and played by myself through the storyline because I felt the game was THAT DARN GOOD. Reached Veteran Ranks and all so I've seen at least to the base game ending and I loved it. highly Recommended.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Same, I've had zero lag and maybe one disconnect I can remember in the 3 months I've been playing. Game's great and I've really enjoyed it. I'm REALLY looking forward to the Warden class.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    want to return to ESO and enjoy it...  But I just hate the class/skill system.  Specifically (though not exclusively), the weapon swapping mechanic.

I also kind of lost the sense of progression when they introduced mob scaling throughout the game.  I don't feel there's anything to work towards when the game caters every mob everywhere directly to whatever power level my character is at that time.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Same, I've had zero lag and maybe one disconnect I can remember in the 3 months I've been playing. Game's great and I've really enjoyed it. I'm REALLY looking forward to the Warden class.
    It happens and comes and goes usually after a major patch. Every since Homestaed launched there have been many problems with people not being able to log in to their characters in some of the busier zones.

They even had a patch to address that but had to revert it when that patch caused level scaling to break. Many are still having issues.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/323483/fix-for-recent-issue-with-character-stats#latest

"After today’s incremental patch on PC/Mac, we identified an issue where character stats were not properly scaling in certain zones. This was ultimately caused by a fix we implemented with today’s patch to address long loading screens in zones with high player density. At this time, we have reverted this fix. However, we have applied a temporary fix for the loading screen issue until we have a more solid fix for it."
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Stuka1000 said:
    All this added and they still can't fix the server lag and disconnects that have plagued the game since beta.
    While there was a bit of this in beta, I don't have disconnects now. I do sometimes get lag but I suspect that's my own internet situation.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    want to return to ESO and enjoy it...  But I just hate the class/skill system.  Specifically (though not exclusively), the weapon swapping mechanic.

I also kind of lost the sense of progression when they introduced mob scaling throughout the game.  I don't feel there's anything to work towards when the game caters every mob everywhere directly to whatever power level my character is at that time.
    I know some find it hard to believe, but even with level scaling, you still definitely feel a sense of progression as you level and/or unlock and use better skills. The progression is not as obviously vertical as it used to be when mobs had levels but it's still there.

The weapon swapping thing is just an ESO oddity you get used to. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they love it but you can play with it. The part I personally hate about it is that certain toggle skills and the sorcerer pets need to use a slot on both bars cutting down even further on your build options.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They have a history of new patches breaking stuff which is why I usually wait a short while before playing after a big patch.  I've had no problems with disconnects or lag, during beta and first month of launch it was terrible with long loading screens added on to that.

I get a sense of progression from all the cp and skill advancement notifications.  Pets should be separated from skill bars.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Well, the trailer does show Vivec and Seyda Neen and they look like "Vivec and Seyda Neen" so i'm excited!
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    So psyched
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Stuka1000 said:

What is it with people who think because they have the issue, everyone does?

I've never had a single issue with lag and I've been playing since day one.

The problem is on your end.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

Sovrath said:

Well, the trailer does show Vivec and Seyda Neen and they look like "Vivec and Seyda Neen" so i'm excited!

Me too!
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Stuka1000 said:
    I play on the EU server instead of the US server (  even though I live in Texas  )  simply because I feel it is  smoother and more stable and doesn't hang up  while loading into zones.
    @BillMurphy

Not to continue flogging the same dead horse Bill, but I think this quote from your article below only addresses one part of the concern:

"I think if there’s any real problem with the pricing, it’s that it takes a DLC away from the ESO Plus members. Yes, even ESO Plus folks have to pay for Morrowind. This is something I expressed to the team while I was there, and Brian, Matt, and Rich each said they’re already looking at ways to increase the value of the ESO Plus membership to make up for the Chapter-Every-Year taking away one of the “Free DLCs” from the membership."

It's not just a matter of taking away one free DLC per year. The more concerning part of this is that this new chapter mega DLC per year may very well create a natural tendency to "batch" important yearly changes into that one chapter leaving the remaining 3 DLC per year rather thin by comparison to what was expected from DLC previously.

That has the potential to devalue the sub much more than the removal of one.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    If they don't have the Morrowind theme as the new menu music...
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    They need to give pc players a proper ui, not this minimalist clumsiness with it's godawful potion wheel.
    Add on's are there, but cannot really make up for the lack of functionality that the dev's decided on 'as it's eso'. They're also open to the creators just stopping doing them.
    The limited ability slots with the clumsy skill swapping is just a poor work around to accommodate controllers. But there's no real need for that level of reduction for the pc. Other games that have a wide range of skills manage it far better.

Introduce a decent ui for the pc- these players shouldn't be limited by other less capable input devices. Include the feature where elements can be individually removed if the player insists on the blank screen look.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Jimmy562 said:

If they don't have the Morrowind theme as the new menu music...

The video ended with it so that is cool.
    Zenislav said:
    Hopefully one day they will make better combat and not this sorry excuse, introduce normal inventory, have proper auction system for selling things and than it will be half decent problem.
    And this class system is good idea and it would work if you could choose if class spell morph will be based on stamina or magicka.
    There are many morphs that do have a stamina or magicka option these days. Enough so that stamina or magicka versions of all classes are and have been viable for quite a while now. It's nothing like it was at release in that respect.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Sovrath said:
    It's also worth noting there seemed to be a lot of new models, which should alleviate a lot of those concerns that Morrowind will be full of recycled bits. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Zenislav said:

Iselin said:

Zenislav said:

Hopefully one day they will make better combat and not this sorry excuse, introduce normal inventory, have proper auction system for selling things and than it will be half decent problem.

And this class system is good idea and it would work if you could choose if class spell morph will be based on stamina or magicka.

There are many morphs that do have a stamina or magicka option these days. Enough so that stamina or magicka versions of all classes are and have been viable for quite a while now. It's nothing like it was at release in that respect.

Except that this choice is actually illusion. Lets say you play stamina Nightblade and you are going to morph Veiled Strike you will have to choose stamina one regardless if you wanted other morph that gives you stealth movement speed.

Giving player choice to make morph be based of stamina or magicka for all or most of class skills will actually give you options and will be close to play as you like what they were saying from start.

I've actually been proposing a different solution for quite a while: have all skills use magicka - maybe even rename magicka to "energy" - and reserve stamina just for blocking, bashing, dodging, sprinting, etc.

I mean... it's sort of silly as it is now in that it takes magicka as sorcerer to conjure an electric field around you but it takes stamina to do the same with a hurricane; or it takes stamina to give yourself a major brutality buff and heal yourself with a 2HD weapon but you can do the same with magicka abilities if you're a sorcerer or a DK. From a lore perspective those distinctions are nonsensical. 

Using one pool for all abilities would allow a lot more build diversity.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Iselin said:
    Zenislav said:

Iselin said:

Zenislav said:

Except that this choice is actually illusion. Lets say you play stamina Nightblade and you are going to morph Veiled Strike you will have to choose stamina one regardless if you wanted other morph that gives you stealth movement speed.

Giving player choice to make morph be based of stamina or magicka for all or most of class skills will actually give you options and will be close to play as you like what they were saying from start.

I've actually been proposing a different solution for quite a while: have all skills use magicka - maybe even rename magicka to "energy" - and reserve stamina just for blocking, bashing, dodging, sprinting, etc.

I mean... it's sort of silly as it is now in that it takes magicka as sorcerer to conjure an electric field around you but it takes stamina to do the same with a hurricane; or it takes stamina to give yourself a major brutality buff and heal yourself with a 2HD weapon but you can do the same with magicka abilities if you're a sorcerer or a DK. From a lore perspective those distinctions are nonsensical. 

This.  Wildstar goes a step further and has two separate mobility pools, two dodge rolls that recharge with time and a sprint bar.  ESO would do well with just what you've suggested though.
  • Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Iselin said:
    Zenislav said:

Iselin said:

Zenislav said:

I think the main culprit was having attack and damage scale off either Max Stamina or Max Magicka. It would have originally made sense for all "Class Abilities" to function off Magicka, and all Weapon Abilities to Function off Stamina, but that would have drastically favored Magicka as a stat, so they tried to split them up. With the One Tamriel expansion, I've been trying to decide if its even necessary to scale attack anymore.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Why do subscribers HAVE TO PAY EXTRA   for this content ?  You pay a subscription to support the game.....and yet that is not enough ?  You must pay  even more  for this content. NOT GOOD.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Iselin said:
    Zenislav said:

Iselin said:

Zenislav said:

I think the main culprit was having attack and damage scale off either Max Stamina or Max Magicka. It would have originally made sense for all "Class Abilities" to function off Magicka, and all Weapon Abilities to Function off Stamina, but that would have drastically favored Magicka as a stat, so they tried to split them up. With the One Tamriel expansion, I've been trying to decide if its even necessary to scale attack anymore.

This is definitely the other large issue with the ESO resource/combat system.  No idea why they decided that resource pools should also determine damage calculations.
    Iselin said:
    Zenislav said:

Iselin said:

Zenislav said:

This is definitely the other large issue with the ESO resource/combat system.  No idea why they decided that resource pools should also determine damage calculations.
    Especially since damage scaling coefficients are all over the place and hidden on top of having some abilities that benefit a lot from weapon or spell damage and very little from max stamina or magicka and others that are affected quite a bit.

Back in the old days they also had hard caps that encouraged more mixing of stamina and magicka but when they removed the caps everyone just started stacking one or the other.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED