Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Pantheon FAQ up

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/

Pretty comprehensive FAQ.

No cash shop (topic 15)
Lots of other good stuff.

Thoughts?

Comments

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited February 2017
    Generally sounds good... but I do wonder about group size(s) and the need for certain classes / combinations of classes.

For example, they say most of it will be group content (which is good), but does that mean most content requires a group of 6 (TBD) consisting of a Tank, Healer, 2 DPS, CC + Other? Or is it going to be more open than that with content for 2, 3, and 4 player groups of various compositions? And if it is more open, what stops (or disincentivises) groups from min-maxing / taking additional players to trivialise the content while also keeping it accessable to smaller and / or more casual groups?

Another example they gave is a Druid to change the environment and negate an ice shield... Does this mean that content has to be done with a Druid? Or will there always be other ways of doing it, maybe a special item? Or is that sort of content going to be something only Druids care about (e.g. a class quest)?

Maybe I am worried about nothing... my first MMO was WoW, and most I have played since have had fairly strictly structured group content (Tank, Healer, X DPS)... but I have this horrible vision of spending hours looking for 'the right group' just to get a Prime Scroll that is 'required*' to do additional content.

*Note: It may not strictly be required by the game, but it could still be seen as required by the general community... i.e. if you don't have it, and the group wipes, it is automatically your fault.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    My educated guess is that outdoor content will be for groups of 2-4 and dungeons for 5-6 with harder dungeons requiring certain classes/conditions be met. 
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I am looking forward to this allot, happy with the style, happy with the EQ1 vibe............However the game engine does worry me, its been a bit hit and miss in other titles, I know some of it is down to those that work with it, but I cant help shake the bargain bin game engine choice due to cash restrictions.

How much of a job is it to change to different engine later if cash gets better? I have no idea myself to be honest, but I presume it will be allot of work.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    One thing that was stated is that it is quite possible to solo the game, although a lot of content requires teams.  I'm glad.  With my whacky work schedule there are often times I am logging on when few people are on, no matter what the game.  So it is nice to have soloing as an option.

Of course, I want to team up!  That is when MMORPGs should shine!  But if I log in and start seeing tumbleweeds rolling by, it is nice to know I can still progress.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Is anyone only wanting there to be at the most 2 modes for instanced content? Personally, I'm getting tired of seeing 4-5 different modes for a single instance. I miss the days of there being one thing and you were good enough to clear it or got better in order to do it.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Albatroes said:
    Is anyone only wanting there to be at the most 2 modes for instanced content? Personally, I'm getting tired of seeing 4-5 different modes for a single instance. I miss the days of there being one thing and you were good enough to clear it or got better in order to do it.
    No instances in Pantheon.... so this is a non issue. But yes, hardmode, nightmare mode.... garbage mode...have to go
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited February 2017
    "1.12 Will there be different ruleset servers?

We are definitely fans of alternate ruleset servers, be they PvP, role-playing focused, hard-core focused, etc. That said, our ability to offer alternate ruleset servers will depend, at least at launch, on how many servers we need and can support in total."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that sounds to me like they are saying they might not have it at launch

Post edited by svann on
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited February 2017
    svann said:

We are definitely fans of alternate ruleset servers, be they PvP, role-playing focused, hard-core focused, etc. That said, our ability to offer alternate ruleset servers will depend, at least at launch, on how many servers we need and can support in total."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess they realize/know that having multiple servers if you end up only having enough playerbase for one server in a game that intends to be group focused (and thus needs adequate population on each server) would be unwise.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    One thing I'm surprised by from the FAQ, is that they're considering the possibility of changing the business model away from subscription based. 

Almost all of the pledge tiers have subscription time built into them, and some come with a lifetime subscription. Seems a little late to change your mind after you've started selling it one way. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    DMKano said:
    GladDog said:
    One thing that was stated is that it is quite possible to solo the game, although a lot of content requires teams.  I'm glad.  With my whacky work schedule there are often times I am logging on when few people are on, no matter what the game.  So it is nice to have soloing as an option.

Of course, I want to team up!  That is when MMORPGs should shine!  But if I log in and start seeing tumbleweeds rolling by, it is nice to know I can still progress.

Soloability in Pantheon will highly depend on class - they have said that some classes will be much better at soloing than others.

so choose your class wisely ;)
    They also said the majority of the content will be teamed but if you figure out a way to do it solo. They are happy for you. Also Pantheon has removed kiting. So there is that. 
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Hmm, removed kiting? Well, it's gonna suck for the 2 kiting classes, Bard and Necromancer IF they make it to launch. IF they're in at launch, the kiting will problably be reconsidered. I hope! :)
  • ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Tiamat64 said:
    svann said:

Guess they realize/know that having multiple servers if you end up only having enough playerbase for one server in a game that intends to be group focused (and thus needs adequate population on each server) would be unwise.

svann said:

Lol it kills me. An FAQ comes out and people still don't bother to read..Point number 16.0 on the FAQ: "WE WILL LAUNCH WITH AT LEAST ONE PVP SHARD."
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The thing that bothers me with the new FAQ was how they "introduced" the possibility of them changing the game in the future.  All of the sections on "The Pantheon Difference" (and others) were not expressly pointed out in the FAQ, rather there were links for these.  That's a very curious web design decision.  Did their copy&paste mysteriously stop functioning?  There seemed to be no difficulty in discussing older, previously-implemented-in-other-MMORPG ideas.

I'll wait and see, but it won't surprise me when "The Pantheon Difference" and many of the new features simply disappear from future versions of the FAQ.  Without the new features promised, how much of this project ends up being "EQ with modern graphics" is anyone's guess.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Hmm, removed kiting? Well, it's gonna suck for the 2 kiting classes, Bard and Necromancer IF they make it to launch. IF they're in at launch, the kiting will problably be reconsidered. I hope! :)
    Haha DMKano is your garden variety troll talking nonsense like he always does. Game is obviously not years away (as stated in FAQ), removing kiting would obviously in the end make this game MORE hardcore, not less, for it forces you to group more often than quading, soloing, not camp place/mobs as easily/often etc...and furthermore kiting and combat in general is completely in the balancing phase to say the least...Safe to compartmentalize him to the troll bin for future reference ;)
  • WindamereWindamere Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I wanted to get hyped about this game....then looked at the website and cost of absolutely everything...from houses up to forts/castles...ummm PASS.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited February 2017
    Windamere said:
    I wanted to get hyped about this game....then looked at the website and cost of absolutely everything...from houses up to forts/castles...ummm PASS.
    LOL I think you looked at the wrong website...
    --------------------------------------------
    DMKano said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    DMKano said:
    GladDog said:

Soloability in Pantheon will highly depend on class - they have said that some classes will be much better at soloing than others.

so choose your class wisely ;)
    They also said the majority of the content will be teamed but if you figure out a way to do it solo. They are happy for you. Also Pantheon has removed kiting. So there is that. 

Nothing is set in stone, currently kiting is nerfed to hell.

The game is years away from launch and as they've stated - FAQ can be changed at any time.

The current supporters are all about team play so at this juncture its obvious that Visionary Realms will focus on team based featueres.

As they get closer to launch, they will look to expand their playerbase so expect "loosening up" of some hardcore team aspects near launch.

Player feedback during betas will change some features in ways the dev team might not even anticipate at this time.

but if they started to talk now about possible changes to kiting and other more solo friendly features , theyd atart to lose early backers - which would be bad.

So no - i dont expect the game to stay nearly as hard core as originally promised - will it still be group centric - of course, but dont expect things to not get more friendly and less hardcore as years pass and launch nears.

Bottom line - when a MMO is years away from launch, dont take everything devs say as gospel, as during developement things change, and sometimes in drastic ways.

I guess your guess counts for something but at this point I take the devs words at their word. Its also what they have put in their FAQ, said on the forums and in streams. Seems a solid direction of the game. Some solo content, most team based. 
    kruler said:
    I am looking forward to this allot, happy with the style, happy with the EQ1 vibe............However the game engine does worry me, its been a bit hit and miss in other titles, I know some of it is down to those that work with it, but I cant help shake the bargain bin game engine choice due to cash restrictions.

How much of a job is it to change to different engine later if cash gets better? I have no idea myself to be honest, but I presume it will be allot of work.
    This is also one of literally two things that concern me about the game so far; however, from the research I've done, there is NOTHING I can find indicating any weakness in Unity as an engine (it's the best at certain things and the things it doesn't "do well" other engines do better, but can still be accomplished with Unity just via 3rd party programs for textures etc). I can't find anything that says otherwise, but this isn't my area of expertise, so I could have just somehow coincidentally read 4 articles all saying the above, but that is highly unlikely. Furthermore, I feel better knowing they have a "personal relationship" with Unity as stated in the FAQ, so I wouldn't be shocked to find out aspects of Unity were completely improved/customized, specifically for this game (cool they go on to list the other programs they use, though this isn't my field so I'm not really sure how efficient those texture and shadow programs/writes they made are).
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I did fine with my Bard in EQ with little kiting (other than a few trains) as it was an extremely boring to me. Was no trouble getting a group with a bard anyway and was a lot more fun. Leveling was faster in a groups in EQ and better loot also. I assume this game will be the same as far as experience and loot goes to encourage group play.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    How did they nerf kiting?  Or are you referring to the statement that some mobs will have anti-kiting mechanisms (just like eq).
    svann said:
    How did they nerf kiting?  Or are you referring to the statement that some mobs will have anti-kiting mechanisms (just like eq).
    I have no clue, just seen it said many times kiting wont be an option in this game. I think the VIP members have solidified the stance this should be a teaming game and solo options should be minimal. Will it stay this way after launch? Who knows. All I know at this point, kiting is not in the game. 
    edited February 2017
    I found this post on the Pantheon forums. Maybe the rumor no kiting is not true. 

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1938/kiting-and-moving-while-casting/view/post_id/95616

Brad says in this thread.

"Here is the plan -- more details to follow as we approach/start beta:

1. Some spells will allow you to move at normal speed when casting

2. Some spells will slow you down when casting, but you are still moving

3. Some spells will require you to stay in one spot while casting.

It's the how many, what are the percentages of each, and which ones, etc. that probably won't be answerable until beta because that's when we'll have people in testing.

It's I guess a mixture of EQ & VG, although that may be an over-simplification."

But that was back in 2015. =-\

edited February 2017
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    I have no clue, just seen it said many times kiting wont be an option in this game. I think the VIP members have solidified the stance this should be a teaming game and solo options should be minimal. Will it stay this way after launch? Who knows. All I know at this point, kiting is not in the game. 
    There is no nerf to kiting lol. I've specifically read through kiting forums on the website. Devs have commented on those threads. There is no such claim or anything even hinting at the idea of there not being any kiting. I would say evidence pointed to the opposite. They're including spells that are instant, some you can be stnading/moving while casting but will slow your movespeed down during this, there are certain spells you can move full speed but the more you move the more you risk that spell fizzling/not casting, and then most recently I saw an FAQ update about certain spells being hand motioned and not spoken, so they can't be silenced/interrupted the way tradition casters can be (my best guess is this will be one advantage of the Shaman as a healer to encourage players to diversify and not just pick the time-worn Cleric for healer Warrior for tank combo). But yeah, ultimately, no such evidence of no kiting.
    edited February 2017
    Latest FAQ update. 

2.5 Tell me more about spells. Can you move while casting a spell?

Most spells can be cast when you are moving, however they will more often than not slow down your movement speed. Some spells will require you to stand and not move; likewise, some spells may not slow your movement speed. Additionally, while most spells are spoken, some are gestured, the latter being very handy when an area is silenced by a player or NPC.

My guess is gestured spells maybe insta cast? Just a guess. 

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Mylan12 said:
    I did fine with my Bard in EQ with little kiting (other than a few trains) as it was an extremely boring to me. Was no trouble getting a group with a bard anyway and was a lot more fun. Leveling was faster in a groups in EQ and better loot also. I assume this game will be the same as far as experience and loot goes to encourage group play.
    I love playing in a group! It's my nr 1 fun in an MMO, but sometimes, I just don't have the time for any grouping, then, fear kiting is what I do. That's why it's sad if kiting would not be part of the game. I think many bards feel the same way, those that are professionals in doing just that. We'll see though, things may change. :)