Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back to it - long time gone

xenoclixxenoclix Member UncommonPosts: 298
Hey all,

So i finally setup the PC again after years of isolation - 5 years to be exact due to moving, family and all sorts of stuff.

Im in complete limbo, i have time now to play (casually now though) and have nooo idea where to go, what to look at or what.

I ended my gaming with SW:TOR and that was that. 

I think what i am asking is what is out there this year that is popular, fun and dosnt involve 100s of hours to get anywhere (im willing to put in the hours if the game is great over the long term though).

Ive browsed a few games but just confused by what available and the vast amount of games out there, copy cats, low population and so forth i see aswell what makes it harder to choose.

Can some point me in the right direction - im moreso casual gamer now with possibly couple hours a day to play if that few times a week. I enjoy any type of genre honestly as long it provides me joy and entertainment. Prefer free but ill pay if thats the quality i am going to get. 

Let me know your suggestions please!

Comments

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    I would really recomend GW2. I just got back into it myself and im having a blast. 
    Its one of those games you can either play solo or play as a group. Raiding is not esential and neither is PVP so you have a lot of fredom to play how you want to play.
    The lore is amazing and will give you countless hours of enjoyment if you like that sort of thing. 
    The music and ambience make the zones very imersive as well. 
    I think its currently 50% off as well, so there's no better time to try it ;)

• shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I can't get into GW2 simply due to the performance. Good game but as soon as you enter a city or a world boss, goodbye 60fps and hello 10-15fps. Regardless of your machine too which is a shame.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    xenoclix said:
    I ended my gaming with SW:TOR and that was that. 

I think what i am asking is what is out there this year that is popular, fun and dosnt involve 100s of hours to get anywhere (im willing to put in the hours if the game is great over the long term though).

Ive browsed a few games but just confused by what available and the vast amount of games out there, copy cats, low population and so forth i see aswell what makes it harder to choose.

Can some point me in the right direction - im moreso casual gamer now with possibly couple hours a day to play if that few times a week. I enjoy any type of genre honestly as long it provides me joy and entertainment. Prefer free but ill pay if thats the quality i am going to get. 

Let me know your suggestions please!
    Two options in my mind.
    1. Lord of the rings online. Yes, one with Gandalf, Frodo, Nazguls, Minas Tirith etc.
    Popular: I think, yes
    Fun: depends what you describe of being fun. Fancy Minstrel that has ranged nukes (AoE) or can become healing machine? Maybe a Champion that makes AoE melee havoc? Or Warden that can be ranged or melee unit, tank or healer? Runekeeper that has superb lightnings (so that some call them "Sith lords"?). Meet iconic characters (Gandalf, Frodo, Aragor)? Engage in roleplay?
    Doesn't involve 100s of hours to get anywhere: well, games does involver time to level up or grind reputation. Amount of time becomes long at endgame: to get that best gear and weapons.
    Free: yes. One note: starter regions are free, epic quests are free. Rest are to purchase as wella s some restrictions must be removed with subscription OR by paying Lotro points. You gain Lotro points by doing deeds, like killing NN monsters, using your skills, visiting certain locations - and metadeeds (finish NN quests, complete all deeds within region).

2. Istaria
    Popular: nope. Little, but loyal and helpful population.
    Fun: Yes. Ever wanted to become a Dragon and fly the skies? Here is your chance to be one, have your own lair and hoard treasures. Choose on of two Dragon paths (Helian/Lunus), grow from baby Dragon to Ancient one. Own land with structures you can choose from - be it garden or crafting facility. Also, Istaria features multiclassing: if you start Warrior and finish it (vl.100), feel free to take Cleric, get to lvl.100, then take one combat school after another...same with crafting.  You can also help others with their buildings: add those materials for your own xp or even for some money (paradise for secret helpers).
    There are festivals, both game and player organized.
    Doesn't involve 100s of hours to get anywhere: world is open, no restrictions about getting anywhere. Of course, if you are lvl.20 and get into lvl.99 territory, expect some minor troubles...
    Free: basically yes. Free players can be Humans only and cannot own land. Paying customers have no restrictions + receive some tokens of loyalty they could exchange into usefull stuff.
  • jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I find GW2 to be too Asian, just don't care for the style.  Never could "get into" the world.  Immersion factor was never there for me.
    Spent seven years with LOTRO (save for a year, back and forth with SWTOR), am now without a MMO for the first time since 2009, and I must confess it feels very odd.

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    nothing has changed since your 5 years of absense

wow still best game too play