Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Surge - 14 Minutes of Game Play Action - General Gameplay Footage

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageThe Surge - 14 Minutes of Game Play Action - General Gameplay Footage

Deck 13 devs have sent out a new game play trailer for The Surge. In addition, Game Designer Adam Hetenyi offers commentary on what is being seen on screen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Billr00Billr00 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Really liking the world .. agree with the lack of ranged being odd .. seems slower paced than your average pvp game today
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I guess Dark Souls (or Demon Souls) has kind of created a new sub-genre now. I'm all for that and I like the sci-fi theme.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

DMKano said:

From Trove to this - not bad. Good luck Adam.

The game doesnt look too bad, just the whole futuristic setting without ranged weapons seems odd.

It mentions and shows in the video that you can get drones that are ranged. I know it's like a pet system and not actual weapons.. but it's in there I guess.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Another dark souls clone from deck13 and it looks like they are falling short once again.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    DMKano said:
    Shaigh said:
    Another dark souls clone from deck13 and it looks like they are falling short once again.

What makes Souls games compelling is the challenge factor combined with combat.

Also the aesthetics in DS are sort of a trademark, they really nailed it.

The surge doesn't have instantly recognizable aesthetic - the combat seems on the slower side, which might be OK, still would have to play this first hand to get a feel for it.
    Its about how tight the controls feels, that's what I liked about Souls game and what I couldn't stand about LOTF. Having a glance at the video I notice things that could lead to the same kinds of issues. Maybe they could work some magic but for now I don't have any expectations.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    LOl there is no sub genre,Unreal,Half life,Quake,Doom have been around years before 99% of the games on the market.
    Don't like the combat at all.The game overall design could be ok but with me combat is the most important of a game and it has to be really good since yeah i come from Quake/Unreal/HL ,i expect cool weapons and cool combat.
    I also NEED to see well designed maps supporting combat,ranged,zaxis, splash,something that is like a Shock Rifle that can serve multiple purposes like splash/shoot around corners and even as a sniper.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I will also make note that if this goes pvp it is completely ruined by rpg mechanics like leveling and improving because it alienates players with less time and that join later.

Yes i see the ranged module but i want REAL ranged weapons not modules.This seems like simply a corner cutting idea.Modules are quite ok but the weapon needs to be ranged first then you migth have modules that allow for various types of firing like split missiles or flame thrower or a bomb that explodes etc etc.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Thoth_MosheThoth_Moshe Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Bloodborne got me hooked on to these type of games but this seems slower.  But I like bloodbornes setting the most and HP Lovecraft type story with demonic celestial beings and such.