Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats better Guild Wars 2 or Black Desert Online?

2»

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited February 2017
    I was much more invested in BDO than I ever was in GW2. GW2 is a great game but I found that when I was playing in BDO because of the activities I chose to spend my time on the world in BDO became more engaging as a result.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    For me it's Black Desert but Guild Wars 2 is a good game. They are just so different and will probably speak to different players in different ways.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Leon1e said:
    I'm not voting because my actual vote, to anyone in doubt, is to check out both games. I think they both have pros and cons and both are overall tons of fun. At one point I actually played both games concurrently. Did raids in gw2 and events and story and whatnot, grinded here and there, and when i get tired i launch BDO and have tons of fun there. Both games are buy to play but not full pricetag, so they are cheap. And totally worth it.
    That's  true, both are good games worth checking out. My personal opinion is that GW2 is the better but both are worth trying.
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited February 2017

I've played both and, while I enjoyed my time with both, I've spent the most time in GW2 (so far).
    I have'nt played GW2 since a bit before HoT, so I can't comment on the current state of the game.

GW2 is a bit more traditional. It has zones (decently sized  and if you are an OCD like me, clearing them all out to 100% is something you will probably enjoy).
    Note: If you are an explorer at heart, first thing to do is go in your map and disable all markers. This way you will have to find the "hearts" and POI by yourself, which, to me, was a lot more fun! It adds to the immersion a lot, and you will take the time to smell the roses and see/listen to what the NPCs do/say, etc. (which can lead to interesting things and events) instead of simply running from one to the other just to complete the zone..

Combat is still close to tab-targeting, but there is a need for dodging and managing your position. You have limited action bar, but you can switch weapon which give you more options.  You won't fight large packs of mobs, unless in a group or with a crowd doing epic dynamic events. 

If you are into "platforming", the jumping puzzle can also be a lot of fun (and rewarding).

End game was very traditional (dungeon/fractals/dynamic events grinding to get token for better gear, though mostly for cosmetic reasons since most exotics were the same as far as stats were concerned). I don't know if it's still the case since HoT.

While it had enough "new things" to make it feel fresh, it also felt "comfortable" from the start (opposite of BDO).

--

For BDO, if you like discovering new game mechanic, scratching your head a bit wondering "how to do this" or "how to get that", BDO can be a blast (especially if you go at it "a virgin" and don't go check online guides and the likes).  That's what I liked most about MMO back then (feeling of being completely lost, discovering new game mechanics every time I play, etc.), and BDO surely brought that feeling back.
    It can also discourage players that are not into that though (but google/youtube can help if you are not into figuring stuff by yourself).

Combat is a lot more action in BDO. It's done via key combinations and combos, and you don't fear large crowd of mobs. In fact, you will mostly run around gathering as much as you can before they leash and turn back and destroy them with a few combos.

Where BDO shines to me, is in the life skills. If you are into that kind of things, you can completely get lost and forget about the combat completely.  Cooking, harvesting, trading goods between towns, managing workers that will harvest and build stuff for you, farming, catching and breeding horses, fishing, hunting whales, etc. are all activities that can be fun if that's your thing.

There are no real dungeons (there are a few zones with "harder" mobs that could be considered as such I guess), and no real need to group with others.

End game is.. is... well, there is none, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, unless all you care about is getting to level cap and getting the best gear for PvP.  BDO has a lot of diverse activities to do that all demand a considerable amount of time if you want to reach the top.  One month you could be all in horse breeding until you get yourself a top tiered horse, and the next month, you can decide to put it on the side and completly change your activities to something completely different like reorganizing your "empire" to produce wagons and wagon parts in order to get into trading, or ships for fishing, or upgrading your weapons, etc.  BDO gives you lots of options to chose from aside from combat.

If all you care is getting to the cap to PvP though, I hope you are not afraid of "The Grinding".

Anyways.. I've probably already wrote too much... and forgot lots of other +/- for each.. 

I liked both games for what they were, but in the end, it really depends on what you like!
    And since we don't have much to go for, you would need to try them both to make your own idea!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    I didn't really get into BDO.. I did get a trial for it and played for a bit.. but in all honesty I've been off and on with GW2 since launch.  I can't say that it's a better game.. I don't have that much experience in BDO to succinctly say that with any certainty. 

What I can say is that I'm more invested in GW2.  If I have free time to play something and it's an MMO, it's better for me to go back to GW2 and keep progressing in my opinion.... there aren't a lot of games where you can progress bit by bit without it taking extremely long to achieve anything, or of course, you have to play very hardcore.  GW2 is great for me just an hour a day or so. 

• ChaosbaneChaosbane Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited January 16
    I’ve played both games and they are completely different especially in terms of combat, pve and pvp. GW2 was a nice experience and you can feel the classic mmo but I like BDO’s combat better and it’s a lot more engaging. Controlling your character fast-paced with cool skills is nice. GW2 combat is just too boring IMO and don’t get me wrong, I’m a classic mmo player but hey.. everyone’s gotta move on to experience new stuff, right? I just don’t feel the combat and BDO has better combat in graphics and action.

When it comes to endgame content though, GW2 is really fun and the raids are nice. BDO is a lot of grind but you’ll still enjoy it with a lot of things.

I strongly believe it is a matter of personal preference so there’s that. 

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file