Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Smed's Hero's Song Be Revived by Amazon? - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageWill Smed's Hero's Song Be Revived by Amazon? - MMORPG.com News

It appears that Amazon not only picked up John Smedley, but also most of the team from Pixelmage Games, the studio that recently folded after funding of Hero's Song didn't pan out. In a new blog, Smedley posted a photo of the team members that are working on what is called "an ambitious new project" and many of the faces are familiar ones from Pixelmage days.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Now let's sit around and wonder why the gaming industry, and MMORPG's especially, are so boring and stale over the past decade. We can't keep recycling these same people with the same ideas and expect anything to change. Past success is not a predictor of future success in the gaming world, as we have seen time and time again with all these failed games made by these aging former titans of the industry. Is it really that hard to find some new people with some new ideas?
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Certainly seems like a possibility. Which could also be one of the reasons why Amazon decided to take Smed on board along with his team. Amazon might have liked what he was doing on paper, but didn't like what was going on in reality, isometric gameplay, old school look, etc.

Could be a similar situation as Blizzard with Titan being scrapped and it being morphed into what Overwatch eventually became.

While it might not be Hero Song directly, many of the ideas behind Hero Song, I would think, will be present in the new game.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Some points to consider http://massivelyop.com/2017/02/13/five-reasons-behind-the-failure-of-heros-song/ and while 3, 4, and 5 may not be an issue since they'll have the backing of Amazon now, points 1 and 2 may still be relevant.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Forgrimm said:

Some points to consider http://massivelyop.com/2017/02/13/five-reasons-behind-the-failure-of-heros-song/ and while 3, 4, and 5 may not be an issue since they'll have the backing of Amazon now, points 1 and 2 may still be relevant.

I actually think 3 is just as much as issue. I just think a game like this needs a persistent server with more people occupying the world. While multiplayer may be better than single player in that respect, you can only spend so much time in games like that before it starts to feel pointless.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Dullahan said:

Forgrimm said:

I actually think 3 is just as much as issue. I just think a game like this needs a persistent server with more people occupying the world. While multiplayer may be better than single player in that respect, you can only spend so much time in games like that before it starts to feel pointless.
    True, but I would imagine that with Amazon on their side now, they'd at least have dedicated servers and would be able to handle more players in the game world.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Ask Daybreak games what they think about Smedley.Off the record they likely call him a con artist.

He is constantly trying to con someone.That hero's song looks like some upstart indie game done in 1990.

In comparison,two young kids formed Naughty Dog productions.The work they did 20-25 years ago is better than what Smedley can achieve now a days and likely why SOE took on Naughty dog ,licensed to SOE and has never let them go.
    Even the EQ series which many of us loved was imo never Smedley,he just so happened to be the guy that could get SOE to fund it.
    Even though i loved the EQ franchise,imo i saw it dwindle down and ruined month by month.After a number of years i really got a better idea of where Smedley was coming from and headed.IMo the guy is a con artist.
    I first got an indication i did not like Smedley when he started up his so called TESTING servers to test out his new cash shop ideas.Then he claimed he would run both,then of course forced all out cash shop on the entire franchise,he ruined everything.Then i noticed he managed to turn a suepr popular kids game that was doing incredibly well into dust and folded up shop.
    Then Smedley had another great idea,the CCG game,great concept but was very apparent,had no clue how to run it and was full of bugs that he did not want to devote a team to fix,so he just folded up shop yet again.

Then ask people what they think about SWG and you get a LONG standing idea of how Smedley does NOTHING right.Fast forward to Next and Landmark and the trend continues,the guy cannot be trusted to do any justice to any game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited February 2017
    So Amazon kills two three birds with one stone: 1) bring in lot of experience, talent and media exposure with John and his team, and the database built for Hero's Song 2) show how Lumberyard and AWS are easy and effective solutions 3) get a solid / simple first AGS game working asap

Basically turning this:

into that:

But then he wouldn't be working on New World?  :( Or maybe he will work on both?
    Post edited by francis_baud on
    JamesGoblin
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    edited February 2017
    I agree with you Wizardry. While I do respect John for his early work on EQ, he has done nothing of merit since then. As the CEO of SOE he was a disaster:

1. He alienated a large player base with what happened to SWG.

2. He earned very little in profit despite having some of the best industry people cycle through his organization while also having the financial backing of Sony.

3. He consistently overhyped/overpromised like when he said H1Z1 would be the place for SWG vets to "come home" to.

4. His DC Hero game was so bad, it went F2P in record time.

5. He consistently blamed others for his issues. When moving over to Daybreak his excuse was how Sony tied his hands by not allowing his games on the XBox and how this would really help them at DayBreak. Spoiler - it did not help Daybreak and they gave him the boot.

You dont sell off your profitable divisions, SOE was sold off due to poor performance while John was at the helm. At no time did John EVER admit to doing anything wrong or take responsibility for any of his disasters. For SWG he blamed Lucus Arts, for poor performance at SOE he blamed not being able to launch on XBox.

The guy helped make the original EQ back in the 90's. That is his only claim to fame. Everything he has done since then has been average or below average which says a lot when he had access to some of the industries best talent and an almost unlimited amount of money behind him at SOE.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    edited February 2017
    Thought that photo was a trailer for the next Expendables movie. That's Jason Statham in the cap right?
    Talonsin said:
    At no time did John EVER admit to doing anything wrong or take responsibility for any of his disasters.
    "sure. Stupid decisions. Complete and utter fail and I am very sorry."
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/xlir0/iama_john_smedley_22_year_game_industry_veteran/c5neak6/
    JamesGoblin
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I don't think that even Amazon would be that dumb!
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    edited February 2017

donger56 said:

Now let's sit around and wonder why the gaming industry, and MMORPG's especially, are so boring and stale over the past decade. We can't keep recycling these same people with the same ideas and expect anything to change. Past success is not a predictor of future success in the gaming world, as we have seen time and time again with all these failed games made by these aging former titans of the industry. Is it really that hard to find some new people with some new ideas?

Smed is the thomas eddison of mmorpgs.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Why would Amazon want Hero's Song...?
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I hope so. Hero Song had a lot of potential.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    It seems in this business it is true...it is not what you know, but who.

Once you get a " Name" in the business, you have to run around naked, barking at the moon every month, to ever lose that appeal to some.

I was never impressed with this name, but then again, i was never on the inside at the places that he worked at either. So my knowledge is purely personal, from a gamer's perspective. 

Just have to say i will have low expectations, but high hopes.  And yes that is possible:P I hope we get some good games from all the cash Amazon is throwing around, despite some of the issues i may think there are.

Time will tell. Like them or not, Amazon is not known for throwing away cash, or not performing in business.

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    2 failed crowd funding campaigns and a dev team that had so little confidence in the project that they didn't bother funding it themselves. Amazon would be crazy to fund Hero's Song.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Talonsin said:
    I agree with you Wizardry. While I do respect John for his early work on EQ, he has done nothing of merit since then. As the CEO of SOE he was a disaster:

1. He alienated a large player base with what happened to SWG.

2. He earned very little in profit despite having some of the best industry people cycle through his organization while also having the financial backing of Sony.

3. He consistently overhyped/overpromised like when he said H1Z1 would be the place for SWG vets to "come home" to.

4. His DC Hero game was so bad, it went F2P in record time.

5. He consistently blamed others for his issues. When moving over to Daybreak his excuse was how Sony tied his hands by not allowing his games on the XBox and how this would really help them at DayBreak. Spoiler - it did not help Daybreak and they gave him the boot.

You dont sell off your profitable divisions, SOE was sold off due to poor performance while John was at the helm. At no time did John EVER admit to doing anything wrong or take responsibility for any of his disasters. For SWG he blamed Lucus Arts, for poor performance at SOE he blamed not being able to launch on XBox.

The guy helped make the original EQ back in the 90's. That is his only claim to fame. Everything he has done since then has been average or below average which says a lot when he had access to some of the industries best talent and an almost unlimited amount of money behind him at SOE.
    He did take the blame for SWG actually along with the two lead devs of the NGE. You also can't speak to what drove Sony's decisions, how do you know the lack of profit wasn't directly a result of creating MMORPGs? Long dev time, huge cost, long waits on returns?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It's also worth noting that LucasArts are the main push behind SWG's dumb NGE and CU. Not John alone. The studio was basically forced to act according to the will of the IP holders. I expect Disney may have been more forgiving, but that ship has sailed.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• sedatedkarmasedatedkarma Member UncommonPosts: 181
    I'll be watching Amazon gaming with a little less enthusiasm now.
    Happily playing Vanilla and BC WoW, again, since September 2016.

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Kind of funny how he's hiding in the back :D 

Kunai_Vax said:
    lol I didn't even notice he was on that pic
    JamesGoblin
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    It's also worth noting that LucasArts are the main push behind SWG's dumb NGE and CU. Not John alone. The studio was basically forced to act according to the will of the IP holders. I expect Disney may have been more forgiving, but that ship has sailed.
    That is just not true.  Yes Lucas Arts was pushing it, but John had the last say, not the other way around.  I was there, I worked in the same building, talked to some of the SOE people at lunch often.  John was just as much for it as the Lucas people.  He thought a themepark would bring in lots of new players.  He was really jealous of the Wow numbers.  Trying to take the blame off of Smedley is just misplaced, he was the primary push for it.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Talonsin said:
    At no time did John EVER admit to doing anything wrong or take responsibility for any of his disasters.
    "sure. Stupid decisions. Complete and utter fail and I am very sorry."
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/xlir0/iama_john_smedley_22_year_game_industry_veteran/c5neak6/
    I concede that point.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Kunai_Vax said:
    lol I didn't even notice he was on that pic
    He's a sneaky sneaky guy. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Well here's to hope.

Say what you want about Smed. But Hero Song was game i really wanted to play