Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats better Guild Wars 2 or Black Desert Online?

SeaWavesSeaWaves Member UncommonPosts: 8
edited February 2017 in Polls
wanting to play a MMO and curious what you guys think.

Comments

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    2 different games, bu ti love BDO

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    GW2 of course! 
    Dibdabs

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    edited February 2017
    GW2 by far.

Dibdabs
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    I'd say GW2. No controversial potential P2W mechanics. From the sound of things, BDO doesn't have an endgame outside of endless grind. GW2 has fractals, raiding, pvp, wvw, along with open world meta events to keep you entertained.

There are grind mechanics in GW2, especially if working on Legendary weapons or armor, but they are purely optional. The power spike between exotic gear, to ascended gear to legendary is pretty trivial.
    Dibdabs
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SeaWavesSeaWaves Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Kaneth said:
    I'd say GW2. No controversial potential P2W mechanics. From the sound of things, BDO doesn't have an endgame outside of endless grind. GW2 has fractals, raiding, pvp, wvw, along with open world meta events to keep you entertained.

There are grind mechanics in GW2, especially if working on Legendary weapons or armor, but they are purely optional. The power spike between exotic gear, to ascended gear to legendary is pretty trivial.
    Is there guilds and mounts in GW2?
  • SeaWavesSeaWaves Member UncommonPosts: 8
    BDO and GW2 are two completely different kinds of MMOs.

I like the strategy game of Node Management and worker management along with real estate so I will go with BDO.

So are you able to build your own house in BDO also are there guilds?
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    GW2 is a fantastic game if you have the time to play.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    I would have said GW2 before HoT. The expansion pretty much ruined PvP and WvW, and took all skill out of playing the game replacing it with passives and mindless spam.

BDO offers a lot of freedom to play the way you want. You can do quests to take the guided tour, find a grind spot you like and just smash mobs for days, explore the world and just fight things as you come across them, take up life skills, run trade routes, tame/train/breed mounts, explore the oceans for sunken treasure, or just go on a relaxing fishing trip. It's a game with something for almost everyone.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    SeaWaves said:

I like the strategy game of Node Management and worker management along with real estate so I will go with BDO.

No, you rent existing buildings/apartments.

There is a pretty deep guild system with guild wars, territory control and PvE guild missions.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    The combat systems for each game are so different that I 'd find it hard to believe that wouldn't be the deciding factor for many players. GW2 is closer to tradition MMORPG combat, though more mobile and with a limited action bar. BDO is very hyper action combat where the combat is more about herding mobs.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    SeaWaves said:

No, you rent existing buildings/apartments.

Which you can decorate.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited February 2017
    SeaWaves said:
    BDO comes with XingCode which violates European law given its not listed in TOS, and installed without asking.

BDO, also comes with heavy RNG Later, on Top of Grinding every week same thing for ancient coins.

BDO, 192 Cash Shop Inventory Limit Whales cant enjoy the game.

Over - All I would say GW2, or go with ESO.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    I'm not voting because my actual vote, to anyone in doubt, is to check out both games. I think they both have pros and cons and both are overall tons of fun. At one point I actually played both games concurrently. Did raids in gw2 and events and story and whatnot, grinded here and there, and when i get tired i launch BDO and have tons of fun there. Both games are buy to play but not full pricetag, so they are cheap. And totally worth it.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The game has a lot of features that i like, despite the game having PVP, its not the main focus of the game, there is far more to the game than that, the recent introduction of sailing and guild ships etc. definitely adds more things to do in the game. Graphically, BDO is a much better looking game than GW2 is, though given the age of GW2 that is hardly surprising, BDO is a 'newer' game.
  • GalerunnerGalerunner Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Well do you want shit thrown into your face and rubbed around? ->BDO

Do you want to see how every promise ever will be broken at some point? ->GW2

In all honesty it depends on what you like.
    Heavy grind hack and slash with a "hidden" 30eaxtra bucks entry fee for pets. (so it's still 60bucks overall)
    oneshot gear pvp. that's basicly BDO

I haven't played gw2 since shortly before the expansion came out. I heard they added more pve with it mainly.
    I am utterly disappointed by the constant lack of class balance, and I'm not even talking from class to class, but the lack of balance inside a class between different paths. They never achieved anything even remotly balanced. You basicly had 1 week of content and 1 month of downtime to wait for the next chapter.. bored the shit out of me.
    I don't want to bash on those games. I was simply disappointed in both for different reasons and dropped them. I won't recommend either, in my eyes both utterly failed.
  • xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116
    bdo by far (for me :))
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Heavy grind hack and slash with a "hidden" 30eaxtra bucks entry fee for pets. (so it's still 60bucks overall)

I haven't played gw2 since shortly before the expansion came out. I heard they added more pve with it mainly.
    I am utterly disappointed by the constant lack of class balance, and I'm not even talking from class to class, but the lack of balance inside a class between different paths. They never achieved anything even remotly balanced. You basicly had 1 week of content and 1 month of downtime to wait for the next chapter.. bored the shit out of me.
    I don't want to bash on those games. I was simply disappointed in both for different reasons and dropped them. I won't recommend either, in my eyes both utterly failed.
    I never understood how people can play a PC game for 200 hours and say its a great game.  Then play a mmo for 1k hours and say its crap.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    filmoret said:

I never understood how people can play a PC game for 200 hours and say its a great game.  Then play a mmo for 1k hours and say its crap.
    I noticed this recently a lot. I think after a certain point of X amount of hours spent in the game, the opinion drastically changes because little things (or big things) finally get annoying to the point of extreme irritation and the opinion on the game changes. My girlfriend has close to 1.2k hours on ARK but she is always complaining about how awful the game is when some bug happens or a broken game mechanic gets in the way. I noticed I do the same thing with games I have dumped a lot of time into, where I finally hit the breaking point with something and HATE the game. With games you play a smaller amount, 100 to 300 hours, you enjoy the entire experience and deal with the bugs you don't hit that breaking point.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Renoaku said:
    SeaWaves said:
    BDO comes with XingCode which violates European law given its not listed in TOS, and installed without asking.

BDO, also comes with heavy RNG Later, on Top of Grinding every week same thing for ancient coins.

BDO, 192 Cash Shop Inventory Limit Whales cant enjoy the game.

Over - All I would say GW2, or go with ESO.
    Eh, between loyalty rewards and the free slots they've given away with attendance rewards... I've gotten enough inventory slots on my main character to go around.

And I'm pretty sure BDO mentions XingCode will be installed during the installation. It's not snuck in there.

The RNG and the grind, those you most definitely have a point with. But I've accepted that no MMO is perfect, and I could never get into GW2 myself, unfortunately.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    For me, Guild Wars 2 is an easy winner as I absolutely hate BDO. This is just my opinion though. I bought BDO and was initially very impressed by the look and feel of the game and world. My issue is the combat. For me, it's god-awful. I mean real bad. It feels like a very very very Asain style over the top hack and slash. I addition, I never really feel like I'm exploring, just fighting packs of mobs by smashing buttons. I just really don't enjoy the combat. Which sucks as I bought a 1070 to play this lol. 

I was never really a fan of GW2 and you'll even find post I've made in the past where I've said as much. I recently reinstalled and purchased HoT. To my surprise, I'm addicted. Just running around the starting zones, I've already spoken to and made more friends then I can remember in a recent Mmo. I've had complete strangers save my ass (instead of killing my ass like BDO) and then we end up grouping and plating for hours. I really love the exploration and how you're rewarded for seeing the zone and completing the different events. I really feel like I'm not blowing through the content to get to end level as much as I'm taking time to enjoy the world. The ability to use different weapons and skills is pretty awesome too. Reminds me more of ff14 where if I was finding a class bland, I could switch. Overall, my opinion is that there is currently more value in GW2, for me at least. I would say to watch a shit ton of videos, I watched the lazypeon play which gives you a pretty good look at the game, and then make your call. Good luck!
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    BDO felt like another 13-in-a-dozen type of Asian heavy mindless grinder with a heavy cash shop, both which I don't like at all.

In GW2 they have a shop, but it's mostly fluff gear which does not give any edge ingame.

Personally I go for GW2 each time. But I haven't played BDO recently, mainly because my hardware cried to me to please uninstall it.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• starstorm777starstorm777 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I play both and like both, so hope I didn't make either game mad lolz ;) but some things get confusing on BDO... GW2 is self explanatory....I just don't understand the node system yet on BDO.... I'm working on it, I don't play enough yet to "get it yet" I guess....I play TOO many other MMOs...lolz.. ;)  Raptr Gamercard
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    SeaWaves said:
    Kaneth said:

Is there guilds and mounts in GW2?
    Guilds yes, mounts no. There's been discussion of a supposed leak of the next expansion detail. Supposedly the new areas are huge with few waypoints and there's a mount mastery line. All rumors though, nothing official.
  • sasa777sasa777 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited February 2018
    Well, I have to say, having 11 years of experience in pure mmo-genre gave me only one reason to say. THESE things are incomparable. BDO is not a MMORPG, it does not have any diversity system and if you ever Pick a Class, there is only ONE BUILD to play with. well yea depends u can play more ''def'' or ''atk''  WHICH ARE LIKE MOST BASIC BUILDING blocks whatsoever. MMORPG makes mmorpg for creative content with diverse spell and builds made by players. that makes a mmorpg a real thing. BDO is more like long-time-Fighter game (lol) so it makes no sense to even compare it to games like guild wars 2, Elder scrolls-online, which are seemingly having TONS MORE diverse combinations of pve(casual, leveling, competitive) and pvp(casual and competitive) builds in comparison to BDO AND Hear my words people. The main reason why (mmo)RPG's came to existence whatsoever, is because creative nerds played Dungeons and dragons in their parents-basements, the game isn't to be played in linear-progression-with-others style. pure nonsense. Rules can be made inside of game, but not to take away the creative control of one's play-style in combat. or making not possible to switch to a different build inside of game is clearly making it non linear in terms of combat style progression. Literally more like Overwatch with different characters but just long term. Meh, i'll skip this one.. 
    Post edited by sasa777 on

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file