Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just tried the new F2P version of EVE.

Comments

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I have to admit this is the best tutorial Eve has come out with yet, they finally put some excitement into their tutorial 
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    45k again right now, no big deal.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Malcanis said:

Very soon there will be games that capsure that essence better than Eve Online...
    Yeah i know, Star Citizen is due it in late 2014. I hope CCP have got an answer ready for that.
    It's not just Star Citizen, you also have Elite which is live and expanding as we speak. EVE has it's loyalists for sure, yet to think it doesn't have an exclusive market covered (that may not be so exclusive in the coming years) is a bit naive. EVE has a lot of space sim fans playing and has for years. For one good reason, there haven't been that many notable offerings in that genre, EVE is one of the better options for that right now. It expands, it has been updated to keep the visuals somewhat fresh, and has little competition in the space sim genre (especially multi-player). What's next in line? X? Most everything else is extremely dated, indie/gimmicky, or pure trash... 

If Elite comes into it's own and SC is close to what's promised, both are going to turn a lot of heads in the space sim world... The dire hards never want to leave anything, that's a given. Everyone else who wants a game like that has few other options, which is likely to change sooner rather than later. 

Hence I have to agree with Mors there... 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    edited November 2016
    Talonsin said:
    F2P is not the answer for Eve.  Most people have already tried it and dont like it while younger gamers dont care much for games that require thought...

If CCP really wanted to bring new life to Eve, they would let people play for free but only as NPC factions like the Angel Cartel or as a whole new invading faction.  Imagine if there were ten systems randomly placed in null that F2P players were allowed to spawn in that were restricted to the F2P faction only and had a station where they could resupply, they were given free ships of crusier and lower and they were given the mission to take over null space.  The regular null alliances would have to really coordinate things to fight back this new invading hoard...

Fun for F2P players and new targets for the paying players.  I have often wondered why no game does this.  Make the F2P people weaker like orcs and paying players stronger like space marines.  One on one the paying player would always win but in packs or hoards, the F2P people could actually win. If the free players side gets too big, introduce "limited time" special weapons for the paying players to restore the balance.  The players would make their own content just like in Eve and all you would have to worry about as developers is not letting one side totally dominate the other.
    The scenario that you suggested for F2P was the scenario that Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade had pitched for their game.  Of course the game that they pitched never came to be.  It's a horrible shooter now instead of what they pitched but that is beside the point.   They had suggested they were going to make the Orc faction a F2P faction where grouping up made up for the fact that the Orc's were going to be less powerful.  Subs would have access to all the other races.  It could have been great and a good way to draw in players.  But the game they ended up delivering didn't look anything like the game they started out planning. 

Overall the idea is a very good one and one day someone smart enough might just pull it off.

Back over 50k logged in again

nice to see

k61977 said:
    Talonsin said:
    F2P is not the answer for Eve.  Most people have already tried it and dont like it while younger gamers dont care much for games that require thought...

If CCP really wanted to bring new life to Eve, they would let people play for free but only as NPC factions like the Angel Cartel or as a whole new invading faction.  Imagine if there were ten systems randomly placed in null that F2P players were allowed to spawn in that were restricted to the F2P faction only and had a station where they could resupply, they were given free ships of crusier and lower and they were given the mission to take over null space.  The regular null alliances would have to really coordinate things to fight back this new invading hoard...

Fun for F2P players and new targets for the paying players.  I have often wondered why no game does this.  Make the F2P people weaker like orcs and paying players stronger like space marines.  One on one the paying player would always win but in packs or hoards, the F2P people could actually win. If the free players side gets too big, introduce "limited time" special weapons for the paying players to restore the balance.  The players would make their own content just like in Eve and all you would have to worry about as developers is not letting one side totally dominate the other.
    The scenario that you suggested for F2P was the scenario that Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade had pitched for their game.  Of course the game that they pitched never came to be.  It's a horrible shooter now instead of what they pitched but that is beside the point.   They had suggested they were going to make the Orc faction a F2P faction where grouping up made up for the fact that the Orc's were going to be less powerful.  Subs would have access to all the other races.  It could have been great and a good way to draw in players.  But the game they ended up delivering didn't look anything like the game they started out planning. 

Overall the idea is a very good one and one day someone smart enough might just pull it off.
    Yea I thought that was a pretty neat way to do the F2P/Sub thing, it was a real shame that GW did what they always do with 3rd part devs

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Malcanis said:

nice to see
    Apparently word is spreading.  Just last evening we had a small fleet of alpha clone pilots wandering through our space in null (came in through a WH apparently), they got sent home pretty quickly.

Welcome to EVE....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I have tried though I won't continue playing again; had a bit too much :chuffed:
    Kyleran said:
    Malcanis said:

nice to see
    Apparently word is spreading.  Just last evening we had a small fleet of alpha clone pilots wandering through our space in null (came in through a WH apparently), they got sent home pretty quickly.

Welcome to EVE....
      Nice to see new players using wormholes and checking out nullsec though

I hope you sent them a nice evemail

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Eve in its 13 year long history never managed to build any serious MMO size player base. It seems to generate enough profit to keep the studio alive but it's very niche game. IMO subscription isn't an issue here and the game's core principle of time based skill training doesn't play in it's favor.

Majority of APLHAs will just uninstall after first killmail 
    Eve in its 13 year long history never managed to build any serious MMO size player base. It seems to generate enough profit to keep the studio alive but it's very niche game. IMO subscription isn't an issue here and the game's core principle of time based skill training doesn't play in it's favor.

Majority of APLHAs will just uninstall after first killmail 
    All depends on what you consider "serious" player size.  

As for player retention, won't be much worse than most other MMOs, if they keep 5 to 10% probably a win.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Talonsin said:

Could you imagine the P2W screaming, I can hear it already. 
    Yeah nah I like the version we have better. And remember, EVE has time-based skilling. Telling the F2P guys that they have to start over if they want to sub up probably isn't the best hook.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    yeah. what sane person would like to support a company that has been supporting its product for +10 years with about some hard earned 12$? Freaking noobs that dont know that game development is made for fun and for the fans! 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    mymmo said:
    Freaking noobs that dont know that game development is made for fun and for the fans!
    ...you are making fun of it but people on these boards honestly believe it.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    If this alpha deal only brings in 100 new players, players that wouldnt have gone past the previous trial, id say its already a success.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Distopia said:
    Malcanis said:

Very soon there will be games that capsure that essence better than Eve Online...
    Yeah i know, Star Citizen is due it in late 2014. I hope CCP have got an answer ready for that.
    It's not just Star Citizen, you also have Elite which is live and expanding as we speak. EVE has it's loyalists for sure, yet to think it doesn't have an exclusive market covered (that may not be so exclusive in the coming years) is a bit naive. EVE has a lot of space sim fans playing and has for years. For one good reason, there haven't been that many notable offerings in that genre, EVE is one of the better options for that right now. It expands, it has been updated to keep the visuals somewhat fresh, and has little competition in the space sim genre (especially multi-player). What's next in line? X? Most everything else is extremely dated, indie/gimmicky, or pure trash... 

If Elite comes into it's own and SC is close to what's promised, both are going to turn a lot of heads in the space sim world... The dire hards never want to leave anything, that's a given. Everyone else who wants a game like that has few other options, which is likely to change sooner rather than later. 

Hence I have to agree with Mors there... 
    Every time I see posts like this I feel the need to link the following:

http://www.mmobro.com/vendetta-online-eves-unsung-competitor/

I do intend to try EVE at some point.  I'm already 1.6 hours in, does that count?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Eve Online is the only game where I cannot see a F2P model working. Be it limited, or .. FULL access to every aspect of the game. 

Eve Online is the only game I think it deserves to stay P2P .  Those who keeps saying they want full F2P access to Eve , 90% will just leave after few days , or hours ?

So keep the game P2P ! Those who like and enjoy Eve, will gladly pay the subscription. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited February 2017
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    I have 3 accounts that I haven't seen for a while I subbed to one before the F2P launch. My thoughts are that it is heavily restricted like the trial. Will this be enough to get more people into EVE ? or no different than playing the trial. I would like to have seen less restrictions and maybe more bonus for subbing players. Thoughts ?
    No its not gonna get more people to play eve. It would be equal to trying to get some one who hates the taste of coffee, addicted to coffee, by saying here I will let you have this spoon full of coffee for free, but than you have to pay me 20 bucks a month. Also if you want sugar and creme, that is in the cash shop, so you gotta pay more. 

Every one who wanted to play eve has played eve, and either liked it or disliked it. Having a free trial, is not going to make some one go play it. BTW, by play it, I mean actually buy a game account, and sub, for more than a month. 

I can tell you what though, which will scare the majority of people off is. Once they learn that in order to compete with every one, they either a have to play 20 accounts, b spend a bunch of money in the cash shop, c scam a bunch of people, d just ignore everything in the game doing your own little thing not caring what other people do. That kinda just ruins it for most people, esp the part where if they die they can lose everything. 

So to sum up, I am utterly confused as to why you think, that making this game f2p would some how attract more people. Eve is a game for a very tiny group of people, specifically people who like to abuse people, and people who dont mind being abused. That is why there are only something like 10k people playing it. 

Just like everquest orginal, is for a very small group of people, those who like to sit for 100 hours a week, grinding monsters, to get a fancy pixel sword, with a group of friends, and put valve in that grind, which equals about 1000 people. Even if i went out of my spent a shit ton, announced to the majority of the world about eq 1 the population of eq might get large for a month or so, but in the end it would be the same 1000 people. Why because not every one wants to sit for 100 hours a week, grinding monsters for a pixel sword. 

If you want a game that is going to have lots of players you have to pick something that would appeal to lots of players, which would equal something along the lines of foot ball. So your looking for a game that is first off easy as shit, but has some minute complexities that make it interesting. Second you gotta look for something that has almost no punishment for doing something wrong, such as hitting the wrong button, and wiping your whole group, and then every one has to spend 100 hours getting their shit back. So 0 death pen, or if there is one its so minor it doesnt mean anything. You are also gonna need to find one with a cash shop, because the majority of people want to have cool stuff in the game but dont want to take the time to earn it. So they need to feel important, and people have a lot of extra cash around to feel important with. AND BAM you have a popular game.

Eve online no matter if they go, the whole game is totally free for every one, is ever going to get much bigger than it is. Not many people want to abuse people, or be abused by people, or sit in the corner doing their own thing, and never be apart of the bigger in game picture. 

Eve online equals in foot ball terms, if once you bought your foot ball ticket, and went in, they said, hey listen there is no seating arrangement, and there are almost not rules, its every man for him self to find the seat you want. How many people you think would end up going to the foot ball game? Or eve only is equal to if you turned on the tv, it said well since you slipped, and hit the wrong button, we are going to make you re watch the last 50 mins of the movie, cause you done messed up. 
    edited February 2017
    filmoret said:
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    filmoret said:
    Its simple really.  You play with the f2p for a few weeks then buy some apex and now you are considered a subscriber.  Some of you who had a bunch of ships they cannot now fly... You telling me that you don't have enough isk to buy some apex?  But somehow you have a bunch of t3 ships.
    I don't have any T3 ships. The only ships I can fly are a handful of T1 ships. I don't mind subbing, my post was about the F2P being too restrictive to hold new players. To buy a plex last time I looked was 1.2 billion isk which would take months for a F2P player to earn.
    If he's smart he can do it in 5 days.
    Let me sum something up for you. Being a total ass hole, and having no remorse for stealing or scamming people, does not = intelligence. Which is the only way some one in eve could make 1.2 billion in 5 days. I suppose you might be referring to, which i highly doubt. You could mask your ips, and make 20 ftp accounts, and go mine them all, which may equal 1.2 billion if you played them all day, or automated it. Because there is no legit, smart, or other method to rake in 1.2 billion in 5 days on a ftp account. 
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    I have 3 accounts that I haven't seen for a while I subbed to one before the F2P launch. My thoughts are that it is heavily restricted like the trial. Will this be enough to get more people into EVE ? or no different than playing the trial. I would like to have seen less restrictions and maybe more bonus for subbing players. Thoughts ?
    No its not gonna get more people to play eve. It would be equal to trying to get some one who hates the taste of coffee, addicted to coffee, by saying here I will let you have this spoon full of coffee for free, but than you have to pay me 20 bucks a month. Also if you want sugar and creme, that is in the cash shop, so you gotta pay more. 

Every one who wanted to play eve has played eve, and either liked it or disliked it. Having a free trial, is not going to make some one go play it. BTW, by play it, I mean actually buy a game account, and sub, for more than a month. 

I can tell you what though, which will scare the majority of people off is. Once they learn that in order to compete with every one, they either a have to play 20 accounts, b spend a bunch of money in the cash shop, c scam a bunch of people, d just ignore everything in the game doing your own little thing not caring what other people do. That kinda just ruins it for most people, esp the part where if they die they can lose everything. 

So to sum up, I am utterly confused as to why you think, that making this game f2p would some how attract more people. Eve is a game for a very tiny group of people, specifically people who like to abuse people, and people who dont mind being abused. That is why there are only something like 10k people playing it. 

Just like everquest orginal, is for a very small group of people, those who like to sit for 100 hours a week, grinding monsters, to get a fancy pixel sword, with a group of friends, and put valve in that grind, which equals about 1000 people. Even if i went out of my spent a shit ton, announced to the majority of the world about eq 1 the population of eq might get large for a month or so, but in the end it would be the same 1000 people. Why because not every one wants to sit for 100 hours a week, grinding monsters for a pixel sword. 

If you want a game that is going to have lots of players you have to pick something that would appeal to lots of players, which would equal something along the lines of foot ball. So your looking for a game that is first off easy as shit, but has some minute complexities that make it interesting. Second you gotta look for something that has almost no punishment for doing something wrong, such as hitting the wrong button, and wiping your whole group, and then every one has to spend 100 hours getting their shit back. So 0 death pen, or if there is one its so minor it doesnt mean anything. You are also gonna need to find one with a cash shop, because the majority of people want to have cool stuff in the game but dont want to take the time to earn it. So they need to feel important, and people have a lot of extra cash around to feel important with. AND BAM you have a popular game.

Eve online no matter if they go, the whole game is totally free for every one, is ever going to get much bigger than it is. Not many people want to abuse people, or be abused by people, or sit in the corner doing their own thing, and never be apart of the bigger in game picture. 

Eve online equals in foot ball terms, if once you bought your foot ball ticket, and went in, they said, hey listen there is no seating arrangement, and there are almost not rules, its every man for him self to find the seat you want. How many people you think would end up going to the foot ball game? Or eve only is equal to if you turned on the tv, it said well since you slipped, and hit the wrong button, we are going to make you re watch the last 50 mins of the movie, cause you done messed up. 
    Wow, you so do not understand the appeal of EVE nor the many ways it can be enjoyed, or what the playerbase is really like.

You should just stop now before you hurt yourself.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited February 2017
    Kyleran said:
    I think there should be a middle tier of sorts, with a reduced price sub.

It would let players take their playing experience further but still have limitations on the powerful stuff.

I think CCP went a little too cautious, wanting to make sure no subbed player would be tempted to downgrade, but perhaps at the same time limited the new player exp too much.

Time will tell.
    The hype is done. People wanted to check it out and found all the restrictions and left already. Most of the free players now are sub. players with a new account. 
    Hariken said:
    Kyleran said:
    I think there should be a middle tier of sorts, with a reduced price sub.

It would let players take their playing experience further but still have limitations on the powerful stuff.

I think CCP went a little too cautious, wanting to make sure no subbed player would be tempted to downgrade, but perhaps at the same time limited the new player exp too much.

Time will tell.
    The hype is done. People wanted to check it out and found all the restrictions and left already. Most of the free players now are sub. players with a new account. 
    You are probably right.

How are the concurrent online figures these days? Still up from pre-release figures or did they subside back?

While I still have a few accounts active till the sub runs out I haven't logged in since December.

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited February 2017
    It was the best game that captured the essence of films such as Star Wars.
    LOL. Not sure if you are trolling mate. Couldn't be more wrong IMO. I've  always seen EVE more like a cutthroat cyberpunkish corporation warfare. Cold, unforgiving and far more realistic than Star Wars universe can ever be. Star Wars stories good as well but totally different genre.
    IceAge said:
    Eve Online is the only game where I cannot see a F2P model working. Be it limited, or .. FULL access to every aspect of the game. 

Eve Online is the only game I think it deserves to stay P2P .  Those who keeps saying they want full F2P access to Eve , 90% will just leave after few days , or hours ?

So keep the game P2P ! Those who like and enjoy Eve, will gladly pay the subscription. 
    Well EVE has had a F2P model since the beginning, and a FULL ACCESS one at that. But now it has one for new customers as well as old ones.