Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

John Smedley Opens Amazon Game Studio in San Diego - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 314
    hope for the best. in the end, its just about games and not about the american president or an alien invasion.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member UncommonPosts: 593
    amazon shitton of money to produce a game..

lead by the most retarded guy in game history.

great combo...

critical strike?
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,934
    Xodic said:
    According to these posts you would think that Amazon doesn't know what they're doing by hiring one of the most experienced names in the business.
    It's kind of like hiring Bernard Madoff to run your business for you because he is one of the most experienced and well known investors in the United States.
    Not at all. Bernie Madoff was a criminal.

What are they going to look at for Smedley? He ran some studios, he made some hard decisions regarding Star Wars Galaxies, he kept the Everquest franchise going, released games, which for game development seems to be a big deal. If you can release a game then you are already a star.

I think people in game development know the trials and tribulations of their industry and what it takes to cut it.

As far as I'm concerned if he can be hired then he has something to offer for whichever company hires him.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I guess Amazon values Smed's connection to Daybreak.

Perhaps they hope that Daybreak buys "Breakaway" after it failed.

• Username_takenUsername_taken Member UncommonPosts: 18
    All I have to say is this:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Does Amazon even know who they're dealing with?
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,511
    Leiloni said:
    Distopia said:
    Nyctelios said:
    "Some people never learn" was never this alive.
    As a SWG vet I'd like to know what is there to learn? I mean I already knew companies put profit above feelings, I already knew companies expect certain performance from high profile IPs. I already knew MMO's can drastically change. I knew all of this before ever touching SWG in 2003. I also know different work as well as budget conditions can have drastically different results. So who's to say anything will be the same with Smed in charge under Amazon? 
    If they put profit first they wouldn't have hired Smed. They also wouldn't have hired him if they wanted to put creativity first. There's really no reason to hire him other than he's a big name, but he's a big name for all the wrong reasons.
    Smedley was behind H1Z1 which is arguably DBGs more profitable game right now and doing okay in its own right.

EQ2 was in a lot better shape under both Smedley and Georgeson. Longdale has driven that one into the ground, her choice or not, it's still on her.

So what is there for anyone to learn here?
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

Torval said:
    Jaiml said:
    Did the refunds for Hero Song get issued? I haven't seen mine yet. Was I supposed to fill out some form?

**edit spelling
    They sent out emails. I got and cashed my check. I still have the check for a souvenir.
    My refund through steam went through as well. Would've rather played the finished game though... :anguished:
    I still have it on my computer and it runs. I archived it off on another folder just in case Steam does that thing it does when it decides to remove a game randomly every once in a long while.

༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

Torval said:
    Leiloni said:
    Distopia said:
    Nyctelios said:
    As a SWG vet I'd like to know what is there to learn? I mean I already knew companies put profit above feelings, I already knew companies expect certain performance from high profile IPs. I already knew MMO's can drastically change. I knew all of this before ever touching SWG in 2003. I also know different work as well as budget conditions can have drastically different results. So who's to say anything will be the same with Smed in charge under Amazon? 
    If they put profit first they wouldn't have hired Smed. They also wouldn't have hired him if they wanted to put creativity first. There's really no reason to hire him other than he's a big name, but he's a big name for all the wrong reasons.
    Smedley was behind H1Z1 which is arguably DBGs more profitable game right now and doing okay in its own right.

EQ2 was in a lot better shape under both Smedley and Georgeson. Longdale has driven that one into the ground, her choice or not, it's still on her.

Dunno, I just boarded the hate train.. :confused:

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,154
    Smed kicked my dog

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Torval said:
    Leiloni said:
    Distopia said:
    Nyctelios said:

lol STAHP with your endearing honesty! It makes it so much harder to be indignant. :chuffed:

༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    And he won't listen to the community, it'll be released way too early and will be dead by day 2.
  • XodicXodic Member RarePosts: 940
    Xodic said:
    According to these posts you would think that Amazon doesn't know what they're doing by hiring one of the most experienced names in the business.
    It's kind of like hiring Bernard Madoff to run your business for you because he is one of the most experienced and well known investors in the United States.

It's more like hiring someone who has had a positive impact. John is one of only a few that have proven they can delve into the unknown and implement completely original designs, that kind of experience is extremely rare. If you were Amazon and wanted to break the mold, why would you not want him working a project?

I mean, I personally can't stand to see Tom Brady's face, but ask me who I would pick first on the play ground.
    laserit said:
    Smed kicked my dog
    Damn that Smed! It was supposed to be my turn to kick your dog!

• bennylongbennylong Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Wphoo
    Nge
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,232
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:

It's more like hiring someone who has had a positive impact. John is one of only a few that have proven they can delve into the unknown and implement completely original designs, that kind of experience is extremely rare. If you were Amazon and wanted to break the mold, why would you not want him working a project?

I mean, I personally can't stand to see Tom Brady's face, but ask me who I would pick first on the play ground.
    I sure wouldn't pick Smedley. It's been a long time since he has come up with anything original. Hell, I'd probably think Tom Brady would be a better pick for the Amazon job.
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 158
    The fuck? I still haven't gotten my hero's song refund yet....this fuckin guy....
  • MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited February 2017
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Come on all.  Give em a chance.
    I'd much rather /ragequit now, before I sink any money (or time) into whatever they're planning.  I was in EQ1 from the beginning and stayed for years, and it seemed back then that every bad game design choice that ruffled my feathers could be traced back to the name Smedley.
  • noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Torval said:
    I knew there would be butthurt and gnashing of teeth. This thread has not disappointed.
    Post reg'd, Smed, you round-faced Charlie Brown-looking muthafucka.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,831
    "Smedley!" He said aloud while punching his fist on his desk. Sounds of light clinking could be heard as empty soda cans rained across the floor and papers fluttering while being shifted around from the force of the punch. There was a dryness in the air and he was parched as heard by the crackle in his voice. "When will you stop ruining lives!" He proceeded to sit back down and forget about the entire thing 10 minutes later.
    I'm a simple man spoiled from MMOs of the old age.  Looking for a home but deserted.  My heart and time is not worthy for the MMOs of the new age.
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,044
    That guy just doesn't know when to quit...so I guess he'll be the first to punch right through the wall with his thick head.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,971
    Next headline: Amazon game studio lead by John Smedley signs on as publisher of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.   ;) 
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Don't think I will be providing and kick-starter or advance beta money to play what is produced on first thought.  Will also be saying a prayer for those that get jobs there that things do not go badly for them.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited February 2017
    I'm just here to hear exploding heads ;)