Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

John Smedley Opens Amazon Game Studio in San Diego - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    laserit said:
    Smed kicked my dog
    Damn that Smed! It was supposed to be my turn to kick your dog!

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • bennylongbennylong Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Wphoo
    Nge
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:
    According to these posts you would think that Amazon doesn't know what they're doing by hiring one of the most experienced names in the business.
    It's kind of like hiring Bernard Madoff to run your business for you because he is one of the most experienced and well known investors in the United States.

It's more like hiring someone who has had a positive impact. John is one of only a few that have proven they can delve into the unknown and implement completely original designs, that kind of experience is extremely rare. If you were Amazon and wanted to break the mold, why would you not want him working a project?

I mean, I personally can't stand to see Tom Brady's face, but ask me who I would pick first on the play ground.
    I sure wouldn't pick Smedley. It's been a long time since he has come up with anything original. Hell, I'd probably think Tom Brady would be a better pick for the Amazon job.
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    The fuck? I still haven't gotten my hero's song refund yet....this fuckin guy....
  • MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited February 2017
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Come on all.  Give em a chance.
    I'd much rather /ragequit now, before I sink any money (or time) into whatever they're planning.  I was in EQ1 from the beginning and stayed for years, and it seemed back then that every bad game design choice that ruffled my feathers could be traced back to the name Smedley.
  • noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Torval said:
    I knew there would be butthurt and gnashing of teeth. This thread has not disappointed.
    Post reg'd, Smed, you round-faced Charlie Brown-looking muthafucka.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    "Smedley!" He said aloud while punching his fist on his desk. Sounds of light clinking could be heard as empty soda cans rained across the floor and papers fluttering while being shifted around from the force of the punch. There was a dryness in the air and he was parched as heard by the crackle in his voice. "When will you stop ruining lives!" He proceeded to sit back down and forget about the entire thing 10 minutes later.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Next headline: Amazon game studio lead by John Smedley signs on as publisher of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.   ;) 
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Don't think I will be providing and kick-starter or advance beta money to play what is produced on first thought.  Will also be saying a prayer for those that get jobs there that things do not go badly for them.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited February 2017
    I'm just here to hear exploding heads ;)
    Forgrimm said:
    Next headline: Amazon game studio lead by John Smedley signs on as publisher of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.   ;) 
    John: Hey Brad!

Brad: Hey John, you miss the old time?

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    Why would they give this man a game studio, when there are likely thousands of actually competent developers who don't get shit? -_-
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    goozmania said:
    Why would they give this man a game studio, when there are likely thousands of actually competent developers who don't get shit? -_-
    Most probably because he isn't a game developer ?

He is a studio manager with over 15 years' experience, and he's obviously well regarded in the industry, otherwise Amazon wouldn't have hired him to manage this new studio of theirs. Amazon have bought a good deal of other top talent as well, it seems they know what they're doing.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Leiloni said:
    I'm sorry but this is a failure before it's even began. Smedley doesn't exactly have a track record that gamers trust.
    Speak for yourself, while smedley may not have a super solid track record, I'm  greatful to him for putting things like planetside 2 on the map.  

I'm not saying hes flawless, but i dont think we should dismiss him outright, i was enjoying the first iterations of hero's song and was sad to see it go.  
  • Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited February 2017
    I am quite sure he is aware of the mistakes he has made in the past and hopefully he has learned from them.  Wish him the best of luck!
  • Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Would be funny if Amazon's new game is Hero's Song...lol
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Maybe they'll put him on the New World project.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Daikuru said:

John who?

I think he made Doom.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• IRandomIRandom Member UncommonPosts: 15
    RIP Amazon's MMORPG... Can't wait until this sorry excuse for a CEO (yes, I know his history at SOE very, very well) will also try to bring another failure who used to have "Aradune Mithara" nickname with him and see both of them kicked out yet again after this Amazon's game will lose 90% of active players within first few months of its release  :p 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    wow. I don't know what to say....... <shocked>

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Torval said:
    goozmania said:
    Most probably because he isn't a game developer ?

He is a studio manager with over 15 years' experience, and he's obviously well regarded in the industry, otherwise Amazon wouldn't have hired him to manage this new studio of theirs. Amazon have bought a good deal of other top talent as well, it seems they know what they're doing.

They obviously feel he has the potential. Anyone that can't live up to what Bezos expects is out regardless. May sound a bit trite but it's all about Bezos.
    Smedley is not the hero we need, he is the one we deserve.

Well...

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    rofl. Yeah well, I won't be playing any of his stuff. 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited February 2017
    Tokken said:
    wow. I don't know what to say....... <shocked>
    I found my words. I am still hopeful that he will make a version of hero's song again.  I will give Smed another chance and see what the future brings.  I'm still an Amazon Fan!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86
    So, what's the over under on how long this lasts?
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited February 2017
    THE CEO OF DAYBREAK GAMES?
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What have we, gamers, did to deserve such? Why... WHY?!?!
    #RIPGaming2K17