Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

John Smedley Opens Amazon Game Studio in San Diego - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'm not normally one who is going to wish failure on someone by name, but in Smedley's case, I'll make an exception.  Now, if I can only figure out which name brings the greatest shame to this collaboration, Smedley or Amazon.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Well, there goes whatever game that might have been.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Oh god, no.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Well, Amazon called their engine "Lumberyard". Given that connotation, hiring Smed is a sound decision.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Nyctelios said:
    "Some people never learn" was never this alive.
    As a SWG vet I'd like to know what is there to learn? I mean I already knew companies put profit above feelings, I already knew companies expect certain performance from high profile IPs. I already knew MMO's can drastically change. I knew all of this before ever touching SWG in 2003. I also know different work as well as budget conditions can have drastically different results. So who's to say anything will be the same with Smed in charge under Amazon? 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    Well I can say one thing Smed did honor the total refunds for everyone for hero song.  Actually got my check yesterday.  They didn't have to issue any refunds for indiegogo backers but they did.  To me that says a lot. 
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Distopia said:
    Nyctelios said:
    As a SWG vet I'd like to know what is there to learn? I mean I already knew companies put profit above feelings, I already knew companies expect certain performance from high profile IPs. I already knew MMO's can drastically change. I knew all of this before ever touching SWG in 2003. I also know different work as well as budget conditions can have drastically different results. So who's to say anything will be the same with Smed in charge under Amazon? 
    If they put profit first they wouldn't have hired Smed. They also wouldn't have hired him if they wanted to put creativity first. There's really no reason to hire him other than he's a big name, but he's a big name for all the wrong reasons.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This pretty much tells us what Amazon is all about.I'll be sure not to buy anything from Amazon.

Well he managed to talk that Russian business into buying a sub par SOE gaming business so i guess he can smooth talk his way into anything.

I wouldn't trust Smedley to run a washer n Dryer,he would likely jimmy rig the coin slots so you have to pay double.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    k61977 said:
    Well I can say one thing Smed did honor the total refunds for everyone for hero song.  Actually got my check yesterday.  They didn't have to issue any refunds for indiegogo backers but they did.  To me that says a lot. 
    People will do almost anything to pull their careers out of self dug holes.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Torval said:
    Jaiml said:
    Did the refunds for Hero Song get issued? I haven't seen mine yet. Was I supposed to fill out some form?

**edit spelling
    They sent out emails. I got and cashed my check. I still have the check for a souvenir.
    My refund through steam went through as well. Would've rather played the finished game though... :anguished:
    --------------------------------------------
  • thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Oh boy...
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Good luck John, I for one will support your projects. 

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    This is like giving cancer to a lab animal and trying to sell it at a pet store. Who in their right mind would hire this guy? I know Amazon is new to the whole gaming thing, but good lord do at least 5 mins or research before you just hire someone based on a resume that I'm sure is mostly lies. Smed hasn't done anything positive in the gaming industry since he gave EQ the green light back in the 90's. His career is mostly taking great games and destroying them with his terrible ideas and bad business models. I bet this lasts as long as his job at Daybreak did or maybe almost as long as his kickstarter did. 
  • joxxer22joxxer22 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Its amazing a guy actually gives refunds for a failed project and people still feel the need to bash.  These people must really be miserable individuals.  By tearing down others you will build yourself up and become king. NOT.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Xodic said:
    According to these posts you would think that Amazon doesn't know what they're doing by hiring one of the most experienced names in the business.
    It's kind of like hiring Bernard Madoff to run your business for you because he is one of the most experienced and well known investors in the United States.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    hope for the best. in the end, its just about games and not about the american president or an alien invasion.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    amazon shitton of money to produce a game..

lead by the most retarded guy in game history.

great combo...

critical strike?
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Xodic said:
    According to these posts you would think that Amazon doesn't know what they're doing by hiring one of the most experienced names in the business.
    It's kind of like hiring Bernard Madoff to run your business for you because he is one of the most experienced and well known investors in the United States.
    Not at all. Bernie Madoff was a criminal.

What are they going to look at for Smedley? He ran some studios, he made some hard decisions regarding Star Wars Galaxies, he kept the Everquest franchise going, released games, which for game development seems to be a big deal. If you can release a game then you are already a star.

I think people in game development know the trials and tribulations of their industry and what it takes to cut it.

As far as I'm concerned if he can be hired then he has something to offer for whichever company hires him.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I guess Amazon values Smed's connection to Daybreak.

Perhaps they hope that Daybreak buys "Breakaway" after it failed.

• Username_takenUsername_taken Member UncommonPosts: 19
    All I have to say is this:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Does Amazon even know who they're dealing with?
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Torval said:
    Leiloni said:
    Distopia said:
    Nyctelios said:
    If they put profit first they wouldn't have hired Smed. They also wouldn't have hired him if they wanted to put creativity first. There's really no reason to hire him other than he's a big name, but he's a big name for all the wrong reasons.
    Smedley was behind H1Z1 which is arguably DBGs more profitable game right now and doing okay in its own right.

EQ2 was in a lot better shape under both Smedley and Georgeson. Longdale has driven that one into the ground, her choice or not, it's still on her.

So what is there for anyone to learn here?
    Dunno, I just boarded the hate train.. :confused:

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Smed kicked my dog

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Dunno, I just boarded the hate train.. :confused:

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    And he won't listen to the community, it'll be released way too early and will be dead by day 2.