Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

John Smedley Opens Amazon Game Studio in San Diego - MMORPG.com News

GFullsGFulls Member Posts: 478
edited February 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageJohn Smedley Opens Amazon Game Studio in San Diego - MMORPG.com News

We're excited to announce an all-new Amazon Games Studio based in San Diego and led by industry veteran John Smedley.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Sometimes, there are no words...
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Good luck to John and the new studio.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    I'm sorry but this is a failure before it's even began. Smedley doesn't exactly have a track record that gamers trust.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I hope this means hero song will come back at some point
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I could see why you would be excited to make this announcement. Dumpster fires of this scale are rare and glorious to behold. 
  • JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    RIP
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    The cat came back the very next day, thought he was a goner, but he just couldn't stay away........
  • MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    What on earth are they thinking? Did smedley just say "well the studio was crashing and burning so i did what i could and lied my ass off to customers. I know it completely destroyed any trust consumers had in the company but you know consumers are stupid and don't blame the people who run things." Thank goodness the games are looking to be free to play i am disappointed and not looking to throw any money in amazons game studio direction for awhile.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2017
    Well now we know why he closed down his previous venture and likely where he got the money to issue full refunds.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    https://games.amazon.com/games The concepts do look decent but wonder what the actual game would be like.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Kyleran said:
    Well now we know why he closed down his previous venture and likely where he got the money to issue full refunds.
    But he did offer full refunds to everyone. Something that most companies would not have done. Most places would have been a sorry guys we can't keep doing this so we are closing up shop. Good luck everyone and then left with the money.
  • PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Amazon WTF you thinking?   RIP
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Smedley, the touch of death for video game companies...
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I get that Amazon needs experienced talent to make their new games, but hiring Smedley for them is akin to hiring an artist to paint a mural... whose only experience is in finger painting.... with feces.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Good Luck, Smed! You got a bad rap, but I admire persistence.
    Torval said:
    I knew there would be butthurt and gnashing of teeth. This thread has not disappointed.
    Where would these forums be if we didn't have Smed and his games to kick down? 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Renoaku said:
    https://games.amazon.com/games The concepts do look decent but wonder what the actual game would be like.
    Those have been there for months. Whatever Smed is doing hasn't been announced yet.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    John who?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    All I can think to say is ROFL! 
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
    Xodic said:
    According to these posts you would think that Amazon doesn't know what they're doing by hiring one of the most experienced names in the business.
    Nothing gets by you, eh?

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Hahahahaha. I love it. I thought it was over, but looks like there is still a bright future for Smed bashing.

~I am Many~

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    So... does the new studio location mean new projects or will he be working on one of the three announced projects. That is the more interesting question once you get past the name.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    So... does the new studio location mean new projects or will he be working on one of the three announced projects. That is the more interesting question once you get past the name.
    Most likely on a new project. The other projects were announced a while ago and are deep into development with their own teams and team leads already. They wouldn't hire someone to hop into a project midway through, get rid of the existing team lead and team members, just so he can take over. Makes no sense.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2017
    Wondering what role/position he is joining as...
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Leiloni said:
    Iselin said:
    Most likely on a new project. The other projects were announced a while ago and are deep into development with their own teams and team leads already. They wouldn't hire someone to hop into a project midway through, get rid of the existing team lead and team members, just so he can take over. Makes no sense.
    Hero's Song with 2017 graphics would be nice... much better than yet another zombie survival anyway :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED