Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Homestead (Housing) Update launches today!

2»

Comments

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    I am not a great fan of housing but I saw some amazing things on ESO forums.

For example (and no it's not me):

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I like housing and I think a proper house being a long-term thing is a good choice. However, I absolutely loathe and despise cash-shops, simply because it's too easy and convenient to maximise profit through minimal effort - and the suits will almost certainly put pressure on the development team to go that way.

So, you might say I'm of two minds here - but I don't consider housing a "must" like I used to, it's just a nice RP option.

That said, I do think the 40$ for the Morrowind expansion is a bit ridiculous. Ok, there's a new class in there - but the rest could have easily been DLC free for subscribers.

Greed is never pretty, but it's to be expected.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    edited February 2017
    Tarblood said:
    150$ for a house... in a game that only adds functionality to crafters who are also only lucky if they get master writs and then get the tokens to buy the crafting stations.

Yeah, think I'm done with Zenimax. WAY to greedy for me.

Signing off the boat

-The whale
    You can buy houses with in game gold, just ignore the ones in the Crown Store.
    I started playing 1 day later, becouse i had a lot of work and gotta say I had a blast. I only got an Inn room with a candle and a table. I had a blast, it felt like my "good old days" again. Now to roam the world and to find a better located house.

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    lol... I put my little candle right next to the fireplace I bought to complete the quest.  The candle and fireplace now give my little Inn room a feeling of warmth and light.  That's all I've done so far until I figure out what I want to do.  The fireplace cost a trivial 100 gold and that was just to complete the housing quest.  So far I have capitalized on the moment.  I have found a few purple paintings from chests and have sold them at the traders for like 33,000 gold... OMG!!  I am greedy like these game companies!

Sz  :)
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Im doing my job right now and can't stop thinking about my Inn room and looking for furniture and all that stuff... lol

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Last night I got my selection down to Cyrodilic Jungle House, Twin Arches, and Autumn's Gate.

I spent some of my crown stock pile on a furnished Cyrodilic Jungle House and i love the tranquil ambient sounds.

Best house in the game, tranquil, just the right size, perfect location with plenty of amenities right outside your door.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Perhaps I should wait awhile until the bugs are ironed out.  
    Post from a PTU tester.

willlienellson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, I want to congratulate Zos on a wonderful addition to the game. I'm absolutely thrilled with this patch. Both the variety of the homes and the ability to customize them is very exciting. However, there are some pretty obvious flaws that could EASILY be fixed to make the patch so much better.

1) Missing PvP Achievement Furnishings.
    There is no furnishing for the Emperor SLAYER achievement or the Warlord slayer achievement. I know it takes a lot of dedication and effort to get emperor, but some players take great pride in their slayer achievements as well.

2) Surplus Siege Does Not Fire.
    I had this vision of placing a banner of the enemy faction on the far wall of my compound and using it as a target for a bank of ballistas. Except they don't fire. At all.

3) Properties are Lifeless and Dead
    It doesn't take very long before it dawns on you how hauntingly devoid of life these houses are. Nothing moves. Nothing. At all.

4) All Animals are.....Lifeless and Dead
    Okay, this is kinda the same thing, but mounts and pets don't move. Forget “wandering” - they don't so much as lay down, yawn, or shake their heads. Everything looks like taxidermy.

5) Price Too High....w/Limited Functionality
    One argument I've read is that the largest and most expensive homes are going to be most frequently used as guild halls for people pooling their money. Bah! What kind of guild wants a guild hall where you can't even access the guild bank? Can't access the guild trader listing? A place with a merchant that can't even repair armor?
    People are talking about having “auctions” in the manors. How are the leaders going to bank all those bids?

Note on prices: It's not about “having the money”. I can't justify spending 3 million gold on a house when I still need to port to city to access a guild bank, list items for sale, repair armor, etc. There is a big difference between 3 million for a useful, time saving central hub and useless pretty view.

6) Can't Sell Old/Unwanted Real Estate
    I think both new and veteran players would be interested in the option of getting some kind of credit for unwanted housing instead of simply gathering more and more properties. I would think a newer player with 500k in the bank would be more likely to buy several houses and upgrade along the way if they could get some type of credit. Otherwise, I know at least some will simply ignore the feature completely until they save up enough money for their top choice. But this is bad for Zos also, because what happens if they lose interest in ESO between now and then. Zos should want to engage players at all ranges.

7) More Inventory Nightmares
    The last patch made most of the items in the game bound and created an inventory nightmare for many players. Now they are adding 2000+ more items into the game. Dealing with space is a huge problem.

8) Cannot Port From Cyrodiil Wayshrines
    I don't expect to be able to port from anywhere in Cyrodiil, but the actual Wayshrine you use to leave PvP will not let you port to your home. So, you still have to port to a city first. This is such a HUGE PIA. This is exactly what I mean by "obvious" functionality flaws. It's not very convenient to port to a city on the way to home to decon items when I can decon/sell/repair in the "stopover" city.

9) Item Limitations Should Not Be Tied to Home Size Only
    Not only is this a big frustration, but it's also lost revenue for Zos. They miss so many opportunities.
    I'm fine with having a base item cap that corresponds to the size of the home, but there should be ways to upgrade that cap with in-game gold or crowns...or both. Some players prefer a more cluttered look for roleplaying reasons or some people have elaborate plans for landscaping, etc.

10) Hardly Any 'Found Items' Are Furnishings
    I heard a rumor long ago that the stolen items introduced with the Legerdemain skill line would one day be useful for more than fencing, that they would be items we could use to furnish our homes. Pillows, games, paintings, dice, etc. etc.
    Sadly, I've found no stolen items on the PTS that are actual furnishings. Even paintings can't be used as...paintings. Part of me thinks this is just a sad missed "obvious opportunity" and another part of me thinks Zos ACTIVELY REMOVED this feature from these items because they realized it might give someone an alternative to the massive gold sink and crown store push for a few furnishings.

11) Massive Gold Sink and Crown Store Push
    It's just TOO MUCH. I want Zos to make money. I really do. ESO is great. It deserves to make money and I want to pay them, but this is a bridge too far. We've been playing for almost 3 years with almost nothing to buy, and now suddenly things cost so much that the vast majority of players couldn't buy if they had been saving for the whole 3 years! So, if I've blown all my gold for 3 years am I now to grind until 2020 for things that make me exited about housing today?
    I think Zos is making a big bet on player enthusiasm maintaining a grind that I think is going to be enthusiasm CRUSHING. The actual costs of these houses are just the tip of the iceberg, which would be okay if either upfront cost OR the grind gave us additional functionality. Can't repair. Can't list items on a trader. Can't access the guild bank. Can't. Can't. Can't.
    Meanwhile, it feels like functionality has been artificially removed from the game for profit. While we are grinding to make a 100k wine goblet, you will steal and fence 3 of them for 200g each.
    I love this game. I love this update. I love the house I've picked out. But I'm very depressed at how much better this could be than it actually is.
    I can't emphasize this enough. I have some plenty of in-game gold and plenty of crowns to start on the housing adventure, but I won't be buying ANY home when things go live until I truly understand the associated gold sink. If filling my house with items is more expensive and tedious than I can bare, then I'm not interested.

FINAL NOTE: Zos, I believe Homestead offers and opportunity for you to BOTH make tons of money AND make your players love the game for years to come. To take advantage of this opportunity I feel you MUST bring 1 of the 3 following variables more into balance. PRICE. FUNCTIONALITY. GRIND.
    High prices with high functionality is okay. Grinding for things when they are functional is okay. If you would prefer to keep things less functional for some reason, then you must reduce the prices and grinds, or you will squander this opportunity imho.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/313666/11-obvious-flaws-and-11-easy-fixes-housing/p1

This is typical ZOS and why I stopped playing ESO.

They just keep pushing out updates, but don't bother really fixing/updating them and just move on to the next update and so on.

Same will be happening with Housing. They will add some New Furniture to the Crownstore to cash in and that's it.

Now all focus is on the upcoming expansion. /sigh
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Why is everyone excited about the house jumping puzzle?  Rift did better than that YEARS ago.  Just sayin' that it isn't "new" and "exciting".  It's rather old.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Ikeda said:
    Why is everyone excited about the house jumping puzzle?  Rift did better than that YEARS ago.  Just sayin' that it isn't "new" and "exciting".  It's rather old.
    GW2 had jumping puzzles too, i hate it in mmo's.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited February 2017
    It depends, isn't there a quest for a house?  So... I'll start with the free one.
    Yup you get a quest for your free apartment. After that you can purchase any house you like as long as your gain favor (do quests) in the area surrounding it.
    Sadly, they took a very Korean Cash Shop like approach with Homestead.

Your options are:

Buying with in-game gold:
    - Earn the gold, enough to buy the house(s) you want
    - Do the intro quest to get an apartment (which is basically a walk-in closet)
    - Grind out potentially up to 3 Achievements, one per faction area, to buy a house each respective territory. Each achievement is behind a pretty substantial number of quests.

Or... 

Buy from the crown store:
    - Buy the required Crowns and use them to purchase the house you want.  Done.

It's a textbook example of making it as inconvenient as possible to avoid the cash shop, so people will be more open to spending the money and by-passing all the other requirements. Eastern F2P MMOs have been doing this crap for over a decade. It's annoying enough in a F2P game. In a B2P game, especially if you're subbing, it's just plain obnoxious.

Those additional requirements for in-game gold purchases serve no other purpose than to be an obstacle for people to pay their way around. It's ZeniMax trying to get players to loosen their wallets a bit more.

If they eliminated the Achievement Grind for the non-Crown version, that would be fair. Or at the very least, don't require it from subscribers. As it is now, it's very clear who ZeniMax truly were looking to benefit with this addition.. and it wasn't the players.

Shame, 'cause I really enjoy ESO, but I won't support that kind of blatant, abject greed. And yes, I do call that greed. For now, I've unsubbed and have stopped playing. Hopefully they change it down the road, and I can return.
    Post edited by QuarterStack on
  • KcendresKcendres Member CommonPosts: 2
    Hi,

I just test the housing on ESO. First i'd like to say then i was very waiting for this on ESO. There's a lot of games where the promise of housing was made ... waited ... waited again ... So thanks for realise realy the promise made.
    NB : sorry if it's not very clear, english is not my first language.

I heard there's improvements to do, and i things it's normal cause it's not a so easy things to do.

I have some suggestions to do about (probably not the only one =D ) :

1 More place
    Like everyone i'd like to have the possibility to buy extension(s) for more places (more item) in the house. There is a lot of people witch imagination have no limit, and by the way the same than can accept to pay for exprime it.

2 Color and light
    When you are creating your home sweet home, you realy want to have a likely colored one. The big part of the objects are ...insipid. A lot of houses are dark and the grey and brawn items are just invisible. About darkness the solution is simple ; put lights... candles, and chandeliers. But the unique thing a chandelier give light is ... itself. Candles don't give light to a room, so what the interest ?

3 place a item
    In general the way to place and move an item is good but have two lakes. Firt to easely move an item on the z axe (up and dawn). Second to change the size of the item. Example you have found a wonderfull picture, you won't have the same effect if you are in the first chamber you win (where it's bigger than the wall) or in your castle wall (where you ask for the stamp you put on the wall of the hall)

4 guild's hall
    What about a real guild's hall ? A hall that is collective to a guild, and not link to someone, who can possiblily stop to play and then deprive the guild to the its hall. And have fonctionnalities like guild bank, repair npg, oratory...

There's probably others idears, and improvements. I heard about vegetable garden, that make my imagination grown ...

I'd like to know where i can directly post to someone able to report on zenimax developers.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I'm so disappointed in the housing that I won't be playing it. It had the chance to bring me back to the game. I'll stick with EQ2 because ESO's housing is only slightly better than hooks. 
  • KcendresKcendres Member CommonPosts: 2
    There's more 10 years than EQ2 make housing, lets time to zenimax to perfect his job. I come from EQ2 i realy loved this game and its housing. Just a problem for me : EQ2 stop to translate in my language. Like EQ means everquest, i specialy not apreciate to paid 12 euros by month and have to get all hot and bothered about reading a simple quest. And i known some players who where on EQ2 when housing begun, it was not so ... easy.