Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Dungeon Mini Interview with David Lee

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : Dungeon Mini Interview with David Lee

MMORPG.com is the leading destination for MMORPG games, news and exclusive coverage of the MMO gaming space. Our free MMO games list and discussion forums are the best site for gamers in search of a gaming community.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    That combat looks horrendous.

It's Skylanders with you literally swiping your character across your tablet screen to swing your axe. And it looks like the base is one figurine and a second would cost an extra $30.

UGH.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JinhJinh Member UncommonPosts: 12
    have to resist on my urge to laugh.... I can do it...

Interesting idea, would need a bigger screen and perhaps turn based, because the combat mechanics seem a bit off. If not I might see people go Fruit Ninja on the screen XD

GL though
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Cool concept but... yeah.
  • DarkagesDarkages Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Would have been so much better if it was used side by side for your table top game. Allowing each of your party members to place their mini on the tablet as well. That way the DM can see where everyone is in the dungeon.

Also allow us to update the stats of the mini while your character levels up in your tabletop game.

Get rid of the combat and just let us roll dice and the DM can remove mobs
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    The Kickstarter goal is the equivalent of $87,260. Not sure how far that amount of money will go, especially considering the fact that the game has both digital and physical production costs associated with it. And they also plan on using those funds to add on to what they already have:

With this Kickstarter campaign and the help of the community we will get to create an even better version of the game with new graphics and the finalized level design of the game, with more weapons, more RPG elements, more quests and hopefully more monsters and puzzles.

• revcasyrevcasy Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I like the concept. I think there is something to this idea. However, the video doesn't look very promising.

The miniatures need to be smaller scale (half the current size or smaller), or else the tablet is going to have to be huge.

Worst of all, the combat looks stupid.
  • storagstorag Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Peole just never learn =| The whole idea of merging table top games with video games is kinda useless because you have to sacrifice best parts of both and for what?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Once again cool ideas gone cheap.
    Everyone is aiming at mobile not for better gaming platform but for a bigger market,so $$$ over quality gaming.

What are these developers thinking,they figure we want to support lesser platforms,less quality games?I personally feel they are not thinking but instead just keep seeing mobile make so much money everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    As to combining table top with video,i disagree what is so good about board that video cannot 100% completely copy?The only difference being one form is paper/cardboard one is pixels.As to miniatures,i am not so sold on it being a best option because again it is lesser quality,i would much rather have full animated miniatures rather than board pieces.

The board is too small and i see their whole thought is marketing the miniatures,so make a cheap game with potential for a huge cash shop.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Need to transfer this thought to a VTT like roll20 or Fantasy Grounds.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• storagstorag Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Wizardry said:
    As to combining table top with video,i disagree what is so good about board that video cannot 100% completely copy?The only difference being one form is paper/cardboard one is pixels.As to miniatures,i am not so sold on it being a best option because again it is lesser quality,i would much rather have full animated miniatures rather than board pieces.

The board is too small and i see their whole thought is marketing the miniatures,so make a cheap game with potential for a huge cash shop.
    Then you clearly arn't a tabletop hobbyist. There are multiple psychologically relevant aspects that involve interacting with physical objects and live comunication that are crucial for tabletop enthusiasts.
    I.E. you can not effectivly pain and/or customise miniatures in from this project because no paint/glue/epoxy putty will hold when all gamplay is set around aggressively grabbing the figurine. 
    On video gaming part it's downright ridiculous when small screen is constantly blocked by large miniature, your hand and interface elements. I can only wonder how one's supposed to enjoy the visual aspects of the game =|
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    What are they kidding?This almost looks like some kind of joke.... If you were intrigued by the title check out a game called Might & Magic Showdown much better than this mess
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    i hear apple is coming out with a 12 foot tablet- looks like these guys are excited....
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The idea is cool, especially if they could Bluetooth with the figure cross checking their database to save character progression. That said the combat should be turn based, have a section devoted to swipe-rolling dice. Movement can be physical with figure but should count down as you move, based on race/weight.

With these features and the ability to play with friends over the net would have me buy it. Hey, Discord integration? Not like this though. Maybe pitch to Wizards of the Coast as a new wave D&D with an optional dungeon maker and DM tools.