Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lol this forum still exists

Comments

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    i actually shocked this website exists still...and still has an insanely massive game list of mostly dead games with no forums just like when there were actually mmorpgs coming out.

wish they clean their list of games up so i could actually pop in here and see whats going on in mmorpg land...even if its a few indy games, a handful of AAA's still chugging on, and not much else.

As for EQN...im shocked some eastern game company hasn't bought it to pick its bones yet...for me...EQN was the last hope for mmorpgs.  Blizzard cancelling Titan though was the first sign that mmorpgs were on the decline.

EQ Not! was vaporware and alwys was. EQ2Wire has a good write up on the whole sorry story.

http://eq2wire.com/2017/01/05/closing-the-book-on-everquest-next-and-landmark/
    Wow good read. Developers controlling NPC's to give the illusion they were automated is despicable. That project deserved to tank.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    This thread made this forum more active than it ever was when the game was still alive.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I think Pantheon will be the spiritual successor to EQ II, if it gets finished that is. But the way the mmo industry is right now, I don't know if we'll actually get an EQ III.
  • MexenlivesMexenlives Member UncommonPosts: 42
    The only shred of hope is if some other developer buys the IP.   

All that lore to build on.
    Baemir
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2017
    Well yes it was a good read,a change from the constant reads here that sound more like advertising promos than articles.
    I'll tell you this,idk how many years ago it was,but i distinctly remember saying i did not like that Georgeson guy one bit.I eluded to his constant FAKE smiling,like a salesmen BS'ing you all the way to the bank.

Having said that,i highly doubt so much blame can be put on him,i see Smed as the guy at the top,he was in charge,he makes the decisions,not Smokejumper.All we need to do is look at what Smed tried to pull just recently,some complete garbage pile of crap and he tried to sell it to us.You know what i thought of that game,he couldn't pay me to own the thing let alone play it.

Pantheon,i know what to expect,been around a long time and even if it turns out better than what i figure,that is a good thing,i love to be surprised,sort of like opening Christmas presents lol.

I also disagree with that article talking about really brilliant people at SOE.All i saw time after time was bugs bugs and more bugs.I saw more bugs in a SOE game than every other game i have seen in my 35+ years put together and that is really sad.

I strongly disagree that there is still hope for a return to EQ land.DB owns the rights now,i cannot see them sinking in a ton of money on a IP they know nothing about when even Smedley knew it was not going to pan out.I fully expect Pantheon to be somewhere between EQ1>EQ2,i'll call it EQ 1.5.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Maybe they will open a companion sub-forum for UO2.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Well why not?...So many expand so much energy on things that may never come to pass why not discuss how great EQN would have been? lol
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Well why not?...So many expand so much energy on things that may never come to pass why not discuss how great EQN would have been? lol

Or leave it open as a place where dreams can go and die, and then be discussed about for years and years.
    OH hang on that's already occurring.

• RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Did they already sign the Executive Order to bring this back to life? 
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    That EQ2 article mentioned above is excellent, and it confirmed what I suspected shortly after I started reading.  Working for a software company as I do now; I can say the non programmers totally screw things up.  

And voila, "Ponytail" as he's known, who is not a programmer, used brute force to drag the development of EQN into the direction he wanted to go; turning Landmark into a game, instead of creating EQN.  The consensus among devs seems to be that Ponytail killed EQN. 

This is why games suck today; because non programmers are idolized in software firms; paper pushers who kiss ass are elevated and the programmer, no matter how genius, is treated as replaceable. 

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Here's the blurb I'm referencing in that article:

Landmark began as nothing more than the tools to make EQN. Then ponytail got a wild hair up his ass to make it a game, which ultimately killed EQN. Developmentally, Landmark and EQN were the same on the engineering side for a long time because they had obstacles to overcome which applied to both. Ponytail is the main reason EQN never happened because he refused to let go of Landmark as a game and wasted years of resources in trying to brute force it into being. The designers on EQN wrote hundreds and hundreds of design docs, often rewriting them as goals changed because they had no actual tools to make the game ye

In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Finally,  "Let’s be clear too.. Landmark was Dave’s obsession, and there simply was no way to convince him otherwise about it being a game. I believe this ultimately killed EQN."

• IsariiIsarii Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Seeing this made me sad, lol.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Isarii said:
    Seeing this made me sad, lol.
    Yup, Me too.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited February 2017
    I was waiting for this game, then it was canceled, but I wasn't surprised. Smed/SOE/Daybreak...where games go to die. I will never buy a game from Smed or Daybreak that's for sure.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Ramajama said:
    Did they already sign the Executive Order to bring this back to life? 
    Maybe Amazon could buy the IP ;)

Wow I can't believe it..good thing they kept this forum up.

https://tinyurl.com/2fcpre6

Looks like EQN has a chance afterall.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    EQN, the game that never was. kind of a fitting epitaph really.
  • InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Wow I can't believe it..good thing they kept this forum up.

https://tinyurl.com/2fcpre6

Looks like EQN has a chance afterall.
    I... I can't believe I fell for that...

Rick Rolled in 2017, who woulda thunk it?
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    hahahah

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Related image

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Related image
    Hey!!!!
    Still more legit than Star Citizen.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Still more legit than Star Citizen.
    Welllll... one definitely does NOT exist and the other one has a chance to not exist. Your legit meter is malfunctioning.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 111
    I'm excited to see Pantheon's development progressing nicely.  Appears to be a good sequel to EQ1 type gameplay.
    UproarBaemir