Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Matt Firor: 8.5 Million ESO Players Right Now Based On Sales - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

Comments

• LoudWisperLoudWisper Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I loved the single player part of it but what I missed the most was raiding strangely enough.  That is what has drawn me back to WoW.  Late nights raiding with people.  I only found that in pvp in eso  
  • DrisdaneDrisdane Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Hmmm.... Does this count purchases on a "per account basis?" Because I own the PC Version, the PS4 version, and the XBOne version. Does that count as 3 of the 8.5M or as 1?
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Bought the PS4 version a couple of weeks ago and the starter areas were rammed with players. Seems like a good game from the few hours i spent on it (before i broke my hand in an accident haha - gaming on hold!)
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I re-subscribed...played a LOT for two weeks...then un-subscribed. Game was fun for a bit then poorly designed mandatory quests reminded my why I left two years ago.....and I unsubscribed. Now...i don't play at all.
    Still hoping I live long enough to see Camelot Unchained  launch...even if it is only beta.
  • TehhiTehhi Member UncommonPosts: 26
    OMG, again this bullshit! Who even cares?.. Sold copies =! active players! I have two copies and I'm not a player anymore, you counted me twice :D
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    I got a level 6 char on my account that's like a year and a half old... I'd say it's safe to say that you can subtract 1 account from that number :D
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2017
    Since they are talking about 8.5 million units sold and not active players, i wonder how many of these are from people like me who purchased the game on PC at launch and then paid the $20 to transfer to the console version. There is a chance that we count for 2.

• gamer2025gamer2025 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    yeah I probably would get included in this count since I bought the game on sale, but I only played it for like 3 days
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Horusra said:
    Phry said:
    It sounds like total box sales over all 3 platforms, its a pity they didn't give out any figures for concurrent users, though perhaps not unsurprising given Zenimax's history.
    It goes without saying however, that the number of boxes sold has no bearing on existing player base numbers, not the first time Zenimax has used this tactic however. :o

Is there really in upside for a company to give out those numbers unless they are the best in the market.  Seems others have learned from Blizzard that numbers can be used against you easily.
    True ..... but boxes sold is one of the key facts; better than "minutes played" or "monthly active users" - both of which could rise and fall like a yo-yo and lead to accusations of cherry picking.

Essentially what this tells us is that since last summer - so c. 6 months ago - they have sold about 1.5M copies. Not so shabby.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Drisdane said:
    Hmmm.... Does this count purchases on a "per account basis?" Because I own the PC Version, the PS4 version, and the XBOne version. Does that count as 3 of the 8.5M or as 1?
    Good point, I was just thinking a lot of crafter's on pc probably have multiple accounts for storage because buying the game on discount just for the extra storage space makes it worth it.  I just don't gather or craft.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Which means what about 850k are actually playing?
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    mistmaker said:
    the combat is really a bit boring. especially the delay between skills or animation make it feel clunky. doesnt feel responsive. and i am not into that weapon swapping games. oh, i exchanged my bow with 2 axes in zero time....
    @mistmaker , @guizica11  , @VulcanSith :

You don't have to wait for the animation to finish.

Try using an a light attack followed (right away) by a weapon swap.
    Or a Light Attack followed by a skill followed by a weapon swap
    Or a Light Attack, a skill, a weapon swap and then a bash.  

It is called "Animation Cancelling". It is not an exploit and MF has said he likes it.

You don't have to use this approach - mobs should still go down. If you really want to pick up the pace however ESO will let you. I think you will "re-evaluate" your view.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    gervaise1 said:
    mistmaker said:
    the combat is really a bit boring. especially the delay between skills or animation make it feel clunky. doesnt feel responsive. and i am not into that weapon swapping games. oh, i exchanged my bow with 2 axes in zero time....
    @mistmaker , @guizica11  , @VulcanSith :

You don't have to wait for the animation to finish.

Try using an a light attack followed (right away) by a weapon swap.
    Or a Light Attack followed by a skill followed by a weapon swap
    Or a Light Attack, a skill, a weapon swap and then a bash.  

It is called "Animation Cancelling". It is not an exploit and MF has said he likes it.

You don't have to use this approach - mobs should still go down. If you really want to pick up the pace however ESO will let you. I think you will "re-evaluate" your view.

The animations are god-awful, especially in third person where it looks so stiff and awkward it's kind of hilarious. 

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    8.5M sold != 8.5M players right now.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Phry said:
    It sounds like total box sales over all 3 platforms, its a pity they didn't give out any figures for concurrent users, though perhaps not unsurprising given Zenimax's history.
    It goes without saying however, that the number of boxes sold has no bearing on existing player base numbers, not the first time Zenimax has used this tactic however. :o
    tactic?  Sometimes I misread things on the internet, but your statement seems to imply that in actuality, they aren't doing so well.  Am I reading you right?  Otherwise why would this be a tactic?  I cannot verify numbers, but purely anecdotally that the zones are full at various times and locations.  It seems to be doing well regardless of the tactic.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    The headline should be 8.5M boxes sold not players right now, what a joke.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Drisdane said:

That would be 3.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    edited February 2017

Rich84 said:

8.5 MM units sold for any video game is a big deal. To act like that should be a joke is fool hardy. It's absolutely not 8.5 MM current active players but it's something worth sharing. Especially the fact that they have sold 1.5 MM in the past few months. That's great growth for a game that's a few years old at this point.
  • IsariiIsarii Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Phry said:
    baphamet said:
    i always see people complain about the boring combat but IMO for an MMO there really are few games better and compared to other elder scrolls titles it's by far the best combat.

I think you will struggle to find many (any?) Elder Scrolls fans that will even remotely agree with that statement, though it might be better than the combat in Daggerfall, but hey, the game is likely over a decade old at this point. :p
    I don't know man. Elder Scrolls fans are well aware that all the games in the series have pretty garbage combat. That's not what attracts them to the franchise.

I agree with Baphamet, but I do think saying TESO has the best combat in a TES title is a massively backhanded compliment. The bar for that is pretty low.
  • R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Wonder how many 'players' WoW 'has' by now if you count boxes sold. 
    edited February 2017
    Grakulen said:

Rich84 said:

8.5 MM units sold for any video game is a big deal. To act like that should be a joke is fool hardy. It's absolutely not 8.5 MM current active players but it's something worth sharing. Especially the fact that they have sold 1.5 MM in the past few months. That's great growth for a game that's a few years old at this point.
    It doesn't sound like you're entirely disagreeing with the sentiment there :wink:. I think it's fair to characterize this article's title as a little bit misleading (though there's no need to be rude about it).
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Phry said:
    tactic?  Sometimes I misread things on the internet, but your statement seems to imply that in actuality, they aren't doing so well.  Am I reading you right?  Otherwise why would this be a tactic?  I cannot verify numbers, but purely anecdotally that the zones are full at various times and locations.  It seems to be doing well regardless of the tactic.
    We won't see it, but if Zenimax told us how many Morrowind expacs they sell, i would be impressed.
    As for the zones, it means little, megaservers never look empty, if they did it would be a very, very, bad sign.
    Are Zenimax doing badly, no idea as they don't publish figures, of course it also means there is no way of telling if they are doing well either.
    Of course, publishing overall box sales does imply they are doing well, but its anybody's guess if they are or not. :o
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Yeah I gotta agree with some, the combat is a drag for me. Personally I prefer tab target over action based, but the combat is lack luster for me. No skills have a cool down which makes me wonder what the hell I should be using. I'm sure I will get flack for this but that's my stand point on the game. If it was a Tab targeting mmo then I would have found my new home because I love the Elder Scrolls lore. They just added player housing, the world is beautiful and there are legit quests, but the combat kills it for me.

edited February 2017
    Yeah I gotta agree with some, the combat is a drag for me. Personally I prefer tab target over action based, but the combat is lack luster for me. No skills have a cool down which makes me wonder what the hell I should be using. I'm sure I will get flack for this but that's my stand point on the game. If it was a Tab targeting mmo then I would have found my new home because I love the Elder Scrolls lore. They just added player housing, the world is beautiful and there are legit quests, but the combat kills it for me.
    So this complaint is usually, in my experience, a bit of not getting very far in the leveling curve and a bit of a learn-to-play type thing in most players. 

Due to lack of cooldowns, ESO's combat is all about status effect management. Between that and how much extra you can squeeze in with animation cancelling, it's a reasonably engaging combat system once you've got a proper build and are playing correctly.

Part of the blame for people missing this is, admittedly, that the UI design is stupid. You can't design a game around status effect management and then not include buff/debuff timers in the stock UI, but somehow that little bit of dissonance never occurred to ZeniMax.

You wouldn't think it from the first few levels, but ESO has a pretty enormous skill cap. I'd say the average player does less than 25% of the DPS of the people who are actually good.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited February 2017
    SBFord said:
    UPDATE: This is based on units sold NOT registered accounts.
    Those two are the same thing. You need one account for each unit bought. The only possible difference between those two would be the very rare case where someone buys it but never logs in even once.

ESO+ accounts would be the more interesting detail since that would be the sub number and more indicative of current activity.

Still... going from 7 to 8.5 mil in less than a year indicates an ability to continue attracting new players. And that is never a bad thing especially for a 3 year old MMO.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED