Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Matt Firor: 8.5 Million ESO Players Right Now Based On Sales - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMatt Firor: 8.5 Million ESO Players Right Now - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

At an Elder Scrolls Online press event, Matt Firor confirmed to our own Bill Murphy that the game is sporting 8.5 million players. At E3 2016, ESO had 7 million players and has grown by 1.5 million since then. This number is based off of units sold and is not simply a tally of registered accounts.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Just curious, because I play the game. Active players or purchases?
  • IsariiIsarii Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I'm never really impressed by total accounts as a metric - subscriber numbers and log-in based activity can be a lot more telling - but that's some serious growth in accounts being created since E3 only a few months ago. Between that and a massively hyped expansion coming in the next few months, I think The Elder Scrolls Online is going to be doing just fine for awhile.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    UPDATE: This is based on units sold NOT registered accounts.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DvalinDKDvalinDK Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Keep comming back to this game, but after 1-2 hours gameplay... the combat is just so bad/Boring sorry to say
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They did a good job with bots as I seldom see them. In the beginning they were all over the place.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Those are impressive numbers for a B2P title.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Would be interesting to know the breakdown for PC and console.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I'm an active player on PC. =)
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

Keep comming back to this game, but after 1-2 hours gameplay... the combat is just so bad/Boring sorry to say

I feel the same. Plus my controller stopped working and this game is not as appealing with mouse and keyboard.

Good for them though. The work they've put in since One Tamriel is paying off.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Just starting playing and so far am impressed.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    My wife asked me to get this game for her for valentines day. Not sure if that'd be a homer gift or not. Excited that she's going to play it with me. Woohoo!
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited February 2017
    It is impressive even if they don't have that many playing now they sold a lot. Very good for the game and Zenimax.
    Chamber of Chains
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Bought it as well when it was dirt cheap for pc and ps4 but after 2 days it becomes boring.
  • redneckgamerredneckgamer Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I've been back playing ESO lately as well.  they have really turned this game around since launch.  it took me a bit to find a class that I was enjoying but now that I have one that I enjoy the combat , the rest of the game is just great. 
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    the combat is really a bit boring. especially the delay between skills or animation make it feel clunky. doesnt feel responsive. and i am not into that weapon swapping games. oh, i exchanged my bow with 2 axes in zero time....
  • RomeoRomeoRomeoRomeo Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I've recently returned to ESO on the Xbox One. I'm stunned at how good it is now. Completely different to when I left it on PC at launch. The immersion is unbelievable now.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    That's an exceptional number for an MMO. Especially considering they probably get a lot more money of their crown store, DLCs and even the optional subscription.

They have probably already funded themselves either for ESO2 or any other multiplayer game they'll want to develop in the future. That is when they'll want to move on from ESO, however based on the recent reports, this game is not going anywhere for a long time, it's a huge cash cow for ZOS at this point. Well deserved too.

With Morrowind expansion on the horizon, I'm really looking forward to the future of ESO. It really is by far the best MMO on the market right now, and has been for the last 2 years.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    It sounds like total box sales over all 3 platforms, its a pity they didn't give out any figures for concurrent users, though perhaps not unsurprising given Zenimax's history.
    It goes without saying however, that the number of boxes sold has no bearing on existing player base numbers, not the first time Zenimax has used this tactic however. :o
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Phry said:
    It sounds like total box sales over all 3 platforms, its a pity they didn't give out any figures for concurrent users, though perhaps not unsurprising given Zenimax's history.
    It goes without saying however, that the number of boxes sold has no bearing on existing player base numbers, not the first time Zenimax has used this tactic however. :o

Is there really in upside for a company to give out those numbers unless they are the best in the market.  Seems others have learned from Blizzard that numbers can be used against you easily.
    Horusra said:
    Phry said:

Is there really in upside for a company to give out those numbers unless they are the best in the market.  Seems others have learned from Blizzard that numbers can be used against you easily.
    Of course there is, positive numbers are good PR, which is why they gave out the box sales numbers, if they had other numbers that looked good to give out, likely they would have used them.
    There is of course, no up side for a company to give out numbers that are, lets say, less than encouraging. :o
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    i always see people complain about the boring combat but IMO for an MMO there really are few games better and compared to other elder scrolls titles it's by far the best combat.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Margrave said:
    I'm an active player on PC. =)
    Pretty active PS4 ESO player and loving it, but bought my PS4 only 2 weeks ago ;)
    SBFord said:
    UPDATE: This is based on units sold NOT registered accounts.
    Big deal! Aside from those 8.5M sold boxes, how many different players logged on last month, or last 3 months? I'm pretty sure that the ESO servers would not be able to handle 8.5M active players a month. Also not saying the game is dead or something - I see enough players around me, even during odd hours.
    baphamet said:
    i always see people complain about the boring combat but IMO for an MMO there really are few games better and compared to other elder scrolls titles it's by far the best combat.

I think you will struggle to find many (any?) Elder Scrolls fans that will even remotely agree with that statement, though it might be better than the combat in Daggerfall, but hey, the game is likely over a decade old at this point. :p
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Phry said:
    Horusra said:
    Phry said:

Of course there is, positive numbers are good PR, which is why they gave out the box sales numbers, if they had other numbers that looked good to give out, likely they would have used them.
    There is of course, no up side for a company to give out numbers that are, lets say, less than encouraging. :o

With box sales that number will never go down.  While sales for a time period might the number of sold will not.  Concurrent users can go down and fast.  Once reported they will always be compaired to that number.  Look at WoW.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Phry said:
    baphamet said:

I think you will struggle to find many (any?) Elder Scrolls fans that will even remotely agree with that statement, though it might be better than the combat in Daggerfall, but hey, the game is likely over a decade old at this point. :p
    are you kidding me? you want to talk about clunky? i tried to play skyrim again and couldn't do it because the combat was so clunky compared to ESO and other games.

you also do nothing but right and left click most of the time. people that disagree with me are probably just biased or they have not played ESO extensively.

i have hundreds of hours in skyrim and think it's a great game but combat never has and never will be one of it's strong suits.