Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goodbye LOTRO

jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
After the recent Producer's letter, I was truly elated, nay, overjoyed.  I couldn't believe - a new race !  Mordor coming in form of a new expansion this summer !  Incredible !  Then, it all came crashing down when I logged in and my launcher DLed the necessary recent updates that SSG has pushed out.  The first time I logged in to North Ithilien, I noticed immediately the background sound and music cutting in and out, constantly.  I checked my latency, it was very good, so lag wasn't the issue.  I tried other lower levels toons in differing areas of ME -- same sound issue.  On top of this, I never received my VIP gift.  I logged separate support tickets for both issues.  Was told that I had to go to SSG's external site and log *another* ticket for the sound issue on their *technical support* area of their support site.  Nothing was ever followed up on.  My sub came up for renewal on Feb 12th, suffice it to say that after almost 9 years with LOTRO, I am now gone from Middle-Earth because of these unfortunate issues.

I do *not* believe that the product has improved since SSG has taken over.  Since the last few updates were pushed out, I have noticed marked instability in the client, much more so than when Turbine was in charge.  I have rarely had CTDs with this game, but since SSG has taken charge they have risen dramatically.

Like I said, it is all quite unfortunate.

Comments

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Game runs fine for me. 
    TheScavenger
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Game runs fine for me as well.

@OP: Can you call customer support?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Wouldnt this be more contructive on their forums?

• jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    @Sovrath :  there is no phone support for SSG

• jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    edited February 2017
    @Kunai_Vax
    just posted on their forums, thanks

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    I've noticed no issues with my account or client.
    Works fine.

..Cake..

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    not a LOTRO player but maybe it is just new company growing pains?  Giving up 9 years of loyalty is sad... kinda... unless you are coming to the awesome world of ESO?

Sz  :)
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    No issues running game either. In fact, I can say Ive had less crashes last few months than almost ever before. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    +1 to the above, no issues for me either.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Nyctelios said:
    The only known issue is the bug on the auction bids not giving you the proper money (sometimes no money at all) for your sales. 

But that is known and they are addressing it.
    That's a rather inauspicious start for SSG's run.  They appear to be addressing a duplicate mail issue and only a duplicate mail issue, but haven't acknowledged that new characters with absolutely no history of AH activity are getting the missing money PMs.  I've just decided to hold all AH sales until this is resolved.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited March 2017
    I just played it for like 2 hours.  It ran ok, but during that time I saw about 7 players.  Nearly every time I completed something a window popped up with links to the cash shop prompting me to buy something.
    Furiant

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• LucienReneLucienRene Member UncommonPosts: 77
    No issues for me either....
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Sorry to see a loyal fan leave.  I hop back and forth into this one a couple times a year normally.  Just finished my last round with it a month ago.  The only problems I ever experience was not being able to buy in the store through steam which I worked around and used the actual launcher instead of steam to do.  But this was when they were in the transition phase so not sure if it is still a problem.  Overall the people working on the game now are the ones that had been working on it at turbine for the most part so it isn't like this is some novice crew picking up the game.  Overall game has ran smooth for me though so can't complain.  Hope you get a response and it is fixed, got a feeling it could also be something hardware related to though.   I have had something similar problems before myself with other things and it turned out to be connectors on my sound card.
  • MM037MM037 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Have you tried updating your graphics and sound drivers?  Worth a shot.  Sometimes that's all it takes.  There may have been something in that patch to conflict with your current ones.  Hope it helps.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    flizzer said:
    No issues running game either. In fact, I can say Ive had less crashes last few months than almost ever before. 

The so called awesome world of ESO has no soul. It isn't in the same league as Lotro when it comes to world feeling and involvement. The atmosphere in Lotro kicks ESO ass time and again, ESO is boring as hell.

They story mode in Lotro is imo the best in any mmo to date unless you are an avid star wars fan I guess. 

But there is no way eso can even claim to be a mmo RPG when you put it side by side with eso. Yeah you have grinding just like any other mmo, hell anyone fancy grinding from 160 cp to 600 cp is a serious head fuck. 

Since one tam the game is practically lifeless and holds no mystery, mobs in every area con the same, it's fucking boring. Gone is the feeling of hitting a new area and thinking 'am I going to have a hard time with these higher level mobs' nope because every mob is the fucking same lol, except in dungeons. 

edited March 2017
    SaunZ said:
    not a LOTRO player but maybe it is just new company growing pains?  Giving up 9 years of loyalty is sad... kinda... unless you are coming to the awesome world of ESO?

The so called awesome world of ESO has no soul. It isn't in the same league as Lotro when it comes to world feeling and involvement. The atmosphere in Lotro kicks ESO ass time and again, ESO is boring as hell.

They story mode in Lotro is imo the best in any mmo to date unless you are an avid star wars fan I guess. 

But there is no way eso can even claim to be a mmo RPG when you put it side by side with lotro. Yeah, you have grinding just like any other mmo, hell anyone fancy grinding from 160 cp to 600 cp is a serious head fuck. 

Since one tam the game is practically lifeless and holds no mystery, mobs in every area con the same, it's fucking boring. Gone is the feeling of hitting a new area and thinking 'am I going to have a hard time with these higher level mobs' nope because every mob is the fucking same lol, except in dungeons. 

ESO awesome lol, perhaps you should come to middle earth. 

• SerMedievalSerMedieval Member UncommonPosts: 99
    edited March 2017
    Only a man with "Savage" in his name could say something like this.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    They story mode in Lotro is imo the best in any mmo to date 
    *cough* secret world *cough* *cough*
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Have to disagree with @SavageHorizon on this one. LOTRO world feels lifeless compared to ESO.

ESO worlds is far more interactive than LOTRO, it's more fun to go and explore, and interact with NPCs. Hell, I can even enter most buildings in ESO which I can't do in LOTRO.

World design is far better in ESO, hands down.

And when it comes to lore interest I'm more of a LOTR fan than ES.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited March 2017
    I had this issue it was the sound drivers from Nvidia I went back to an older driver for just the sound and used the actual drivers from my sound card from the sound card site and it solved it. Mind you this was years and years ago.
    Chamber of Chains
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    SaunZ said:

It is the "same company" - jusy split off from (what was) Turbine and given independence by WarnerBros with two "exceptions":

a) support is now handled by WarnerBros, so probably by a "bigger team" even if the support people who worked on it before (however many of them there were) are part of that bigger team
    b) DBG were signed up as "publishers".

As far as @SaunZ 's comment this was simply a suggestion that the OP might want to come to ESO.

And in reality both games are, imo,"worthy". The comparison is tricky though.

For example LotR can feel more "homely" based on world chat - as well as feeling very cold since you may not see many people. With a lower population - especially pre-merger - bonds were made, people would and do, help others. And this quite often plays out in world chat.

World chat in ESO will not give you this feel. Guild chat however can be like LotR's world chat. If you are not in the guild though you won't see this. If you are not in the guild though - same as being on a different server on LotR. 

Both games have grind - LotR's is more old fashioned - and you have to do it to fully develop your character even if subscribed. Both have scaling dungeons! (Not the same mechanism.) Both have features the other doesn't have.

At the end of the day both are worth trying. And both can be tried - and played - relatively inexpensively/ Both can also come across as "cold" and uninviting - but that is arguably true of many games.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    LOTRO has an actual world, Rohan itself actually has about 20 villages each with dozens of buildings, and thats just Rohan. The world is represented much more realistically, whereas ESO has towns made of several buildings, and the entire world is more like a Disney Land with an "attraction" on every step. The distinction is clear and no doubt LOTRO world design is far -- far more realistic and immersive.

REALITY CHECK

edited March 2017
    Only a man with "Savage" in his name could say something like this.

Only someone with "kazin" in his name would talk shit, is that some sort of pain killer. 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    You sure must have a strong hatred for ESO to copy paste your response in 2 consecutive posts. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258
    I just returned to LOTRO and have had no technical issues outside of rubber-banding a few times while in mounted combat.

After ESO made everything scale-able to your level, I managed to complete some new zones but ultimately everything started to feel very stale and merit-less. No more stealthing higher level craft nodes or risking the more dangerous path. No more running carelessly through older zones either.

There is a lot I enjoy about ESO, especially the dynamic quests, but with LOTRO I feel much more immersed.

I submitted a ticket to SSG yesterday and got a response in under 20 minutes which I thought was pretty good.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO.