Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: THE MOST WANTED MMO OF 2017, did you or want to pledge now?

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    I would pledge a reasonable amount if I had instant access to alpha/beta.  $50 max
    Soon there will be no beta slots left. If you really want beta it's get in soon or not at all. 
    That's the thinking that has lead us into this Early Access/Crowdfunding mess...

EA crap has unlimited beta slots. Pantheon has limited access. See how that works? 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    I would pledge a reasonable amount if I had instant access to alpha/beta.  $50 max
    Soon there will be no beta slots left. If you really want beta it's get in soon or not at all. 
    That's the thinking that has lead us into this Early Access/Crowdfunding mess...

EA crap has unlimited beta slots. Pantheon has limited access. See how that works? 
    I have to buy this to get ____ perk!

See how that works?

If you want to donate to something, knock yourself out.   The mentality of "buying perks" has brought us here.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    No.  If the only deal is "trust us - pay now and in a year you will have a slot if we are still functioning", then no.  It has to be a beta slot that I can pay, download, and test the play right now.  Im not tempted at all with future promises.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Torval said:
    svann said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    No.  If the only deal is "trust us - pay now and in a year you will have a slot if we are still functioning", then no.  It has to be a beta slot that I can pay, download, and test the play right now.  Im not tempted at all with future promises.
    It does send off warning signals that they're not prepared for a larger alpha or beta testing base. The excuse that they want a quality limited test bed sounds great on paper or in an integrity PR spot, but not so much in reality for anyone who's been part of mmo player testing.

At best they're setting up an echo chamber of players who feel entitled to drive game development decisions and that can end up horribly. At worst they're setting up an echo chamber of players who feel entitled to drive game development decisions.

None of the players here should throw stones at Star Citizen for selling jpeg ships when they're paying for forum access. Glass houses and all.
    Lol, glass house. Massive false equivalence. Paying to access a private development forum is nothing like paying for the stuff in an MMO that you would normally be playing the game to achieve. Not only is that pay to win, it's just an awful short-sighted decision.

You may not remember back before games used "testing" and early access to sell unfinished games, but testing phases were once controlled and limited to so many players. That is what Pantheon intends to have. It's not as if they couldn't throw up additional test servers if that is what they wanted. And really, the alpha access was available for $100 for two years, so it's not like it's some super exclusive thing.

There's also no telling how big the beta will be considering it's still available for $100.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Scott23 said:
    The only beta I am interested in is the open beta right before release so I can judge whether to buy the game.  I am a horrible beta tester - I just play the game and report any bugs I run across.  I don't go actively looking for bugs or try to test all systems.

Having beta or alpha access in pledge packages is actually a deterrent to me :)  Not that I pledge anymore - Pathfinder taught me that lesson, lol.
    You don't actually have to participate in the beta, the reason I pledged were because I want the game to be made. I will certainly try the closed beta a bit but I don't think I will spend that much time in it unless I suddenly get a lot more spare time on my hands.

Then again, you do have a point of course. If you read up on the game and still is unsure waiting a while until you are sure might be the best. It isn't good for anyone with a bunch of people that wanted something very different demanding their money back, we seen that in other games.

For me, what I seen so far is good enough for me to put some money in, each of you folks need to make your own judgment. But if it seems like the game you have been waiting for you should consider pledging, making a good MMO is expensive and it would be a huge shame if they had to cancel or release the game too soon.
  • TulerezzerTulerezzer Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Mendel said:
    Dullahan said:
    Mendel said:
    I have no interest in giving a developer money before they are ready to give me a product.  If I want to invest in something, I'll stick to traditional means, i.e., the stock market.  At least there, there are laws to protect me (and my money) from shenanigans.
    Yeah, but it won't stop you from losing your money.

I see them to be one in the same. You invest in the stock market to hopefully get something you want: money. You invest in a game to hopefully get a game you want. Either way there's a chance of things not working out.

It all depends on how satisfied one is in the current offerings of the genre, and the importance of a good mmo be made. For me, it's worth the risk of a few bucks. Should it be successful, the money I put into the game will be worth more to me than the same amount invested in any stock.
    No, laws won't prevent people from losing money in the stock market.  Law do protect investors from fraud and misappropriation of funds, or at least provide legal recourse to the investor.  I don't see an equivalent in the crowd-funding arena.

Investing in a game via crowd-funding doesn't provide anything -- there's no ownership, no sharing of profits, not even a copy of the game.  All of these are dependent on the individual fund-raising project, not a regulated, standard set of agreements.  It has yet to be proven that there is any form of protection for the investor in any crowd-funded effort.  There have already been cases of misappropriations and suspect financial activity in several projects, including Pantheon.

Crowd-funding is new wave, far too out there for me.  I see it as akin to donating to a cause or idea; maybe the vagrant on the side of the street will really use the money for survival and will turn their life around.  Chances are, though, the only one to benefit runs a liquor store.  If you are in a financial position where you can afford such risks, then congratulations to you; you've made it as a philanthropist!   I'm not in a position where I can risk my meager finances on intangible, emotional returns.

I am curious to your source on Pantheon having "misappropriations and suspect financial activity" regarding it's crowd funding.
    Can you provide a link to that info or was it just something you read somewhere one time?
  • sunflamesunflame Member UncommonPosts: 181
    I actually would have loved to pledge (even did during the fail kickstarter campaign) but those horrible pledge tiers on the website are just all around bad. Seems very risky to pledge for very little reward - not worth it IMO (I'll just buy it IF and when it comes out).
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Nanfoodle said:
    Did you pledge after they won? Do you want to but waiting for some reason? Why did you pledge? Why do you not want to pledge? 
    This is pretty much the only PVE-centric game on the market, so I'll keep an eye on it for that reason alone.

As long as Brad McQuaid is involved in it, however, I'm going to go with experience and assume he is lying about everything again and just wants to bs people and sell something that doesn't actually exist.  When there is an actual game to play and if I like it, I'll gladly pay for it - regardless of who made it.   Until then, no money.  Unless they fire him and hire someone that I have had good experiences with (which is just about any major producer).  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    This game even going to come out?
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Heretique said:

With recent history, that could be said of any game, and there my friend is the rabbit hole staring at you, to go down that path would be to deny the actual existence of any game currently being made.

Oh hang on that accounts for around 40% of these forums users so MEH.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Heretique said:
    Maybe.  But definately not in 2017.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    When this game is in open beta/trial I will give it a fair chance and go from there.  I have zero interest in donating to a gamble that might never deliver (no offense, just the reality).
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I pledged long ago, but now regret it.  I detest them locking mobility and resource recovery together.  I'm done with the whole sitting on your ass during combat and after to recover mana.  Some downtime is a good thing, but it doesn't have to be tied to mobility, something melee classes have never had to tolerate throughout the years.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Torval said:
    I know on paper it sounds horrid and I'm halfway there with you. Like MrMel said right above you it's a lot to risk on a big maybe.
    Yea, it's apparent that they got a lot of people to pledge before full details of the game's final design were even out.

....and it's likely that full details of the game still aren't out (or finalized), too.  (...for the sake of the game, it'd probably be bad if the design was already finalized I think).
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I just can't believe anyone would give these people any money before a product is released, based on: past financial misbehavior (and yes, it happened, and yes it matters), that they are running development on charging $15/mo for FORUM ACCESS and want $100 for beta access, and that the game will not be finished, for literally years yet. But then, their entire business model is long on hype and BS to fleece suckers wanting an old school game.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    After what I saw from McQuaid with Vanguard, there is zero chance of me ever investing in anything he's in charge of. It wasn't even that the game failed as much as how everything was handled. The guy literally disappeared and left his employees standing in the parking lot being told they were all out of a job by some manager. Real class act this guy is. Then he followed that up by spending the early crowd funding money from this project on himself and leaving everyone else with nothing after the kickstarter crashed and burned. I can't imagine anyone would ever want to work for this guy. If this game somehow makes any money, you can bet Brad will be the only one getting paid. This guy might have been a good game designer 20 years ago but he's a terrible business manager.  
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    When the game is finished, thats when i will look at all the game reviews and decide whether i want to buy it or not.
    Buy into it before its finished, its not just a no, its a Hell no. :o
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited February 2017
    donger56 said:
    After what I saw from McQuaid with Vanguard, there is zero chance of me ever investing in anything he's in charge of. It wasn't even that the game failed as much as how everything was handled. The guy literally disappeared and left his employees standing in the parking lot being told they were all out of a job by some manager. Real class act this guy is. Then he followed that up by spending the early crowd funding money from this project on himself and leaving everyone else with nothing after the kickstarter crashed and burned. I can't imagine anyone would ever want to work for this guy. If this game somehow makes any money, you can bet Brad will be the only one getting paid. This guy might have been a good game designer 20 years ago but he's a terrible business manager.  

Yawn! Well I guess that counts you out, it will be no lost to people who have stopped flogging the dead horse and moved on. 

But guess what, I bet you will play it once it comes out making some pathetic excuse of why your 'giving the game a chance but I still can't forgive Brad blah, blah, blah' 

I really hope you don't though. 

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Nop

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

I don't understand why any one would kickstart or pledge after all the crap that's gone down over the last few years

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Ishkal said:

I don't understand why any one would kickstart or pledge after all the crap that's gone down over the last few years

Hope springs eternal :)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

arieste said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Did you pledge after they won? Do you want to but waiting for some reason? Why did you pledge? Why do you not want to pledge? 
    This is pretty much the only PVE-centric game on the market, so I'll keep an eye on it for that reason alone.

As long as Brad McQuaid is involved in it, however, I'm going to go with experience and assume he is lying about everything again and just wants to bs people and sell something that doesn't actually exist.  When there is an actual game to play and if I like it, I'll gladly pay for it - regardless of who made it.   Until then, no money.  Unless they fire him and hire someone that I have had good experiences with (which is just about any major producer).  
    Brad has been removed from anything to do with the finances of the company. He is just in charge of the creative direction of the game and nothing more.  
    Heretique said:
    FAQ says Alpha and Beta will be in 2017. They have no set date for the start of testing and no date on when the game will launch. 
  • AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Torval said:
    I pledged long ago, but now regret it.  I detest them locking mobility and resource recovery together.  I'm done with the whole sitting on your ass during combat and after to recover mana.  Some downtime is a good thing, but it doesn't have to be tied to mobility, something melee classes have never had to tolerate throughout the years.
    I know on paper it sounds horrid and I'm halfway there with you. Like MrMel said right above you it's a lot to risk on a big maybe.

I'll wait to give combat a fair shake when it's playable, unless some huge deal breaker comes up. They've said there will be a trial/demo period. I should be able to figure it out in that time. But if it's just sit on your ass so the needy extroverts can gab at you then screw that.
    Actually, they are looking into it. So nothing is set in stone as to resource recovery. That doesnt mean there wont be some down time. But they are looking into it. So I suggest a wait and see approach until its official.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited February 2017
    They are looking at resting and meditation in combat, but if there is no actual resting at any point, it wouldn't be "down time", now would it.