Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skeptimistically Impressed - Ashes of Creation Columns

Comments

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited February 2017
    Leiloni said:

There's something about that on their website. Basically they said Unreal 4 is very customizable so that's something they think they can adjust.

Unreal Engine 4 is designed to create small, fully-functional projects right out of the box. Since an MMO is a literal culmination of every extreme in game design, one might, quite understandably, balk at the idea of using UE4 for such a project. Fortunately, UE4 is easily modified at a source code level to allow for custom or extensive divergences from the default, small project functionality. We have identified what we need to change – most notably, the network communication and level loading code – in order to get the gaming experience that is expected of a modern MMO.

Thanks for posting this.

"UE4 is easily modified at a source code level to allow for custom or extensive divergences from the default, small project functionality."

I think it's inaccurate. Modifying multi-purpose engines is extremely time consuming, especially if the goal is to make the engine do something it's not intended for.

We can just think about all those Unreal and Unity games that lag with 50 people on screen, even though many engineers, millions of bucks and years of programming were thrown at the engine.

No game on Unity or Unreal 4 can support +100 players on screen with decent performances afaik. I doubt Ashes of Creation will succeed easily where multitudes failed.

Miracles happen from time to time though.

Post edited by francis_baud on
    JamesGoblin
  • PhaenPhaen Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Game looks very interesting, but flagging system will likely break it as Western PvP is largely a gankfest unless it organised faction based something like ESO. BDO was just a mess unless you were constantly with a group, because you were just randomly ganked because other players just felt like it. I see this being a similar system although possibly a more purposed game rather than a grind. Rift flagging was better as at least you had the choice to be free from attacks unless you want to PvP.
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145

DMKano said:

AoC is Age of Conan

Cant use AoC for this.. maybe AshoC or something like it

Need to burn down that little personal corner and get with the program yo ;)

Can't use AC either (Asheron's Call I believe). I think simply 'ASH' works nicely. 'ACT' would be a second choice.
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Don't be picking on my Schilling lol.

He was not and never will be a developer,he was merely the money guy with a passion for gaming.He and his team were let down by what i call a thief,his financial advisor who handled all his money affairs.

These are actual game developers,even McFarlane is not a game developer,so yeah there is no comparison there.I really feel sorry for Schilling ,he was one the few with a passion and not for the business side of it like most developers.

If we look at Chris Roberts,look at how much money he has spent,the equal of more than any other game ever made and still no game.Robert's himself,NOT me but him,said CF money is worth 5x,so at around 120 mil he has spent 600 million and he is a so called experienced game developer.

Then if we want to keep pointing fingers,how often has Blizzard scrapped ideas/projects?
    Point being that anybody can fail in this industry,it is also why i don't like people pointing a finger at Brad as he also has passion for gaming more so than just business and imo more so than MOST developers.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SirLornSirLorn Member UncommonPosts: 212

DMKano said:

AoC is Age of Conan

Need to burn down that little personal corner and get with the program yo ;)

ROFL....those are literally it's initials, you seem like the one who needs to burn something down.....who cares.....if the game is awesome, maybe folks will be saying "AoC" with a smile and fond memories this time around....besides, FunCom is busy with Conan Exiles, I don't think they give a frak
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Wizardry's optimism is like the second coming so this game might just have a chance.
    Chamber of Chains
    edited February 2017
    Anybody knows why they have unlisted that video?

JamesGoblin
  • LurchUSALurchUSA Member UncommonPosts: 97
    edited February 2017

DMKano said:

AoC is Age of Conan

You could say AoCF... Ashes of Crowd Funding.

Since that's all that will be left for people who paid cash into the crowd funding campaign... ashes of their cash.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Until we the players actually get to go in and play I remain skeptical
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    I've had good vibes from this game since I found it few months back.
    edited February 2017
    Just a few months ago Ashes of Creation was named The World of Origin, maybe they thought "AoC" would sound better than "tWoO".
    JamesGoblin
  • Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    You can visit fan site if you want to :) http://www.aocsource.com/
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited February 2017
    Leiloni said:

There's something about that on their website. Basically they said Unreal 4 is very customizable so that's something they think they can adjust.

Unreal Engine 4 is designed to create small, fully-functional projects right out of the box. Since an MMO is a literal culmination of every extreme in game design, one might, quite understandably, balk at the idea of using UE4 for such a project. Fortunately, UE4 is easily modified at a source code level to allow for custom or extensive divergences from the default, small project functionality. We have identified what we need to change – most notably, the network communication and level loading code – in order to get the gaming experience that is expected of a modern MMO.

Thanks for posting this.

"UE4 is easily modified at a source code level to allow for custom or extensive divergences from the default, small project functionality."

I think it's inaccurate. Modifying multi-purpose engines is extremely time consuming, especially if the goal is to make the engine do something it's not intended for.

We can just think about all those Unreal and Unity games that lag with 50 people on screen, even though many engineers, millions of bucks and years of programming were thrown at the engine.

No game on Unity or Unreal 4 can support +100 players on screen with decent performances afaik. I doubt Ashes of Creation will succeed easily where multitudes failed.

Unreal 4 is the new one. You're thinking about the old Unreal 3 that older games were using. I'm not sure any big name MMORPG's have come out with this yet. I think a few are using it but they're still in development. Unreal 4 wasn't released to developers until 2014, so I think we have yet to really see what it's capable of doing.

They did an interview on MMORPG.com a few months ago that explains more how they're using it as well if it helps:

http://www.mmorpg.com/ashes-of-creation/interviews/intrepid-studios-aims-to-breathe-new-life-into-the-mmorpg-1000011398

MMORPG
    : You’re using Unreal 4 and there are folks who don’t feel like Unreal can do a massively scaled MMO with sieges, housing, mass PVP and PVE and so forth – how would you respond to them?

SS: 
    We are aware of the concerns with using UE4 for those systems.  We are not using UE4 as an out-of-the-box engine.  There are things that UE4 does very well such as; Animation, playback, editing, graphical fidelity.  The great thing about UE4 is that they give access to the source code which allows us to change what we need when we need it.  UE4's greatest asset is its flexibility for the developer.

MMORPG: 
    So it's more of the front end, while the back end is something of your own creation?

SS: 
    To put it simply, yes.

Anybody knows why they have unlisted that video?

I don't know but I've definitely seen it before. It's an older video and I can't remember if I saw it being used by a Youtuber or if it was also on their website. The mage video is the more recent one though I know that much.
    edited February 2017
    Leiloni said:
    Leiloni said:

Thanks for posting this.

Unreal 4 is the new one. You're thinking about the old Unreal 3 that older games were using. I'm not sure any big name MMORPG's have come out with this yet. I think a few are using it but they're still in development. Unreal 4 wasn't released to developers until 2014, so I think we have yet to really see what it's capable of doing.
    I'm talking about Unreal 4. Unreal 3 was used for some pretty big MMORPGs (DC Universe Online, Bless, B&S, Mortal Online, etc.) and had decent performances. 

edit:

Daylight released in early 2014 and uses Unreal 4, so I guess that the developers had their hands on it a while before that.

For what UE4 is capable of, we can look at how Warhammer 40K: EC and ARK: Survival Evolved are doing performances wise with just a few players around, and imagine how it would look like with 200 players + catapults + the kind of graphics/lighting/VFX shown in the new video + castle walls being destroyed, etc.
    Post edited by francis_baud on
    JamesGoblin
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    edited February 2017
    The problem is every game coming out now is trying to say all the right things... Player choice matters, you shape the world blah blah blah.... Maybe I'm also jaded like some others here but I will believe it when I see it....
  • healboothealboot Member UncommonPosts: 103
    With such ambitious graphics, I have no hope of this ever making it as a mmorpg.
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    healboot said:
    With such ambitious graphics, I have no hope of this ever making it as a mmorpg.
    I have no doubt this will release. Question is will it have everything they are boasting. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    AoC is taken, it's dumb to also call this game by an acronym already used. Ashes is the best option as it's nominally longer then AoC. 
    Kunai_Vax said:
    healboot said:
    I have no doubt this will release. Question is will it have everything they are boasting. 
    Pretty sure the fans of Hailan Rising, Greed Monger, Repopulation, Divergence Online, Landmark, Pathfinder Online, Revival, EQ Next, Hero's Song, etc. believed that too.
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Kunai_Vax said:
    healboot said:
    Pretty sure the fans of Hailan Rising, Greed Monger, Repopulation, Divergence Online, Landmark, Pathfinder Online, Revival, EQ Next, Hero's Song, etc. believed that too.
    Hahaha good point ;)

healboot said:
    There's a lot of games with great graphics. I'm not sure that really affects anything. There's a lot of crap games and unfinished games with crap graphics. It doesn't dictate success or failure lol.
    Leiloni said:
    Leiloni said:

Thanks for posting this.

I'm talking about Unreal 4. Unreal 3 was used for some pretty big MMORPGs (DC Universe Online, Bless, B&S, Mortal Online, etc.) and had decent performances. 

edit:

Daylight released in early 2014 and uses Unreal 4, so I guess that the developers had their hands on it a while before that.

For what UE4 is capable of, we can look at how Warhammer 40K: EC and ARK: Survival Evolved are doing performances wise with just a few players around, and imagine how it would look like with 200 players + catapults + the kind of graphics/lighting/VFX shown in the new video + castle walls being destroyed, etc.
    Did you miss the part where the devs were going to make a ton of changes to the source code? I'm guessing those games used an out of the box version of the engine. They even said in the interview they're only using parts of the engine and essentially customizing a lot of it. I'm not sure why you're so hell bent on wishing failure on a game we know little about. Read the facts and make judgements about how talented you think the team is, but that's all we can do right now.
    Leiloni said:
    healboot said:
    There's a lot of games with great graphics. I'm not sure that really affects anything. There's a lot of crap games and unfinished games with crap graphics. It doesn't dictate success or failure lol.
    Lot of games but very few MMORPGs.

And those that do either lag or have custom built engines (e.g. Pearl Abyss' engine).
    JamesGoblin
    Leiloni said:
    healboot said:
    Lot of games but very few MMORPGs.

And those that do either lag or have custom built engines (e.g. Pearl Abyss' engine).
    Why is there so much hate with some people here for a game and a team they know nothing about? Can't you just say "hmm interesting ideas, I wish them well'? Nothing to lose there. I'm not sure why you insist on hoping for failure and finding desperately for something to dislike. Do you even enjoy gaming? It's supposed to be fun.