Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never thought I will say this - But WoW is so far ahead of any other imaginable MMO right now

1235»

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Horusra said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Horusra said:
    You stated your "data" showed a drop in the last couple months.  I was just stating numbers went up in January.
    Thanks for the recap. 
    But you still havent answered anything i asked or provided a source for your statement. 
    My source was wow census. 

Then you better look at your source again cause Jan '17 is higher than Dec '16. 
    So you're talking about a spike in the month of January, that was probably a result of the new content patch that came out that week. That has nothing to do with my statement that activity numbers have been dropping since Legion and that they are almost back to WoD drought levels.

It has everything to do with the fact that it went up in Jan.  Might be a spike might not as we can not see the future.  The statement that it is continually dropping is false if it went up in January.
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    The population is way smaller than it was a few months ago that is for sure. 
    TheScavenger
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Horusra said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Horusra said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Horusra said:
    You stated your "data" showed a drop in the last couple months.  I was just stating numbers went up in January.
    Thanks for the recap. 
    But you still havent answered anything i asked or provided a source for your statement. 

So you're talking about a spike in the month of January, that was probably a result of the new content patch that came out that week. That has nothing to do with my statement that activity numbers have been dropping since Legion and that they are almost back to WoD drought levels.

It has everything to do with the fact that it went up in Jan.  Might be a spike might not as we can not see the future.  The statement that it is continually dropping is false if it went up in January.
    But you CAN see... it spiked during the content patch and then continued to drop back down again for the remainder of the month. Player activity levels have decresed by around 60% - 70% since Legion launched and as it stands now its almost back to WoD drought levels even though there has just been a content patch. Which is what i said at the start. 

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Horusra said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Horusra said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Horusra said:
    Thanks for the recap. 

But you CAN see... it spiked during the content patch and then continued to drop back down again for the remainder of the month. Player activity levels have decresed by around 60% - 70% since Legion launched and as it stands now its almost back to WoD drought levels even though there has just been a content patch. Which is what i said at the start. 

you treat the spike for the expansion as the norm instead of the "spike".  Look at every game and it spikes with release and then dies back down.  The fact is seems to be higher than before the expansion and has seen a rise in January instead of continual falling to me is more important.
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Horusra said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Horusra said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Horusra said:
    Thanks for the recap. 

You are wasting your breath trying to get this across to current WoW players, they are too blinded by their addiction to see the truth, that the game has slowly been bleeding away its core customer base for years. Sure, some might come back for expansions to see if things have changed, but they never stick around longer than a few months, because the game they loved and had fun with is long dead. What we are left with now, is an  MMO that is an easy single player game basically with some lobby based group content tacked on. 

The Wow devs over the years with all the QOL changes, as well as their crusade to remove social barriers, have sacrificed server identity and community as a whole in order to appeal to a mass audience. What you are left with is a game that plays and feels like a single player RPG with a crappy story, with only a small sprinkle of MMO elements once you hit level cap. 

This is why you see retention issues with modern WoW, the content is so accessible and doesn't require you, for the most part, to form any kind of bonds with players, since the cross server grouping tools give you access to almost an endless pool of players to tackle content. With that said, they removed a lot of social elements from the game, which in my opinion is the main reason a lot of players play MMOs (not all of course). And once you blow through the easy content the only thing left is to repeat the same stuff on a harder difficulty, which unless you actually have friends in the game to do this with, there really isn't much of a reason to bother with this since you seen all the content before. 

TheScavenger
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Horusra said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Horusra said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Horusra said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Horusra said:
    Thanks for the recap. 

you treat the spike for the expansion as the norm instead of the "spike".  Look at every game and it spikes with release and then dies back down.  The fact is seems to be higher than before the expansion and has seen a rise in January instead of continual falling to me is more important.
    I wasnt treating the spike for the expac as the norm, i was pointing out the massive drop in player activity over the last few months despite the content patches and how worrying i viewed that.
    The fact its barely 20% increase in activity compared to a period when WoD had no content for over a year is not somthing to be particularly possitive about, especially when the data hasnt really shown if its finished dropping yet. I guess we will have to see what febuary is like and if it begins to stabalise. 

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I get what the OP is saying.  After being out for so long with so much content and that many full time developers - it should be impossible for anyone to compete.   Some people just want change though or simply don't like the game.  I think they should have made a fresh game years ago.  I look at UO and UO2 being cancelled. . imagine if EQ2 did not get released. . would people still play EQ?  Hard to say.

With the money and talent and experience I think they should be looking at another MMO.  Of course if you love WoW then you are  very happy :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I agree with the others saying its time to move on...Both the players and Blizzard.....Really this game feels like a cash cow that has been ridden for over 12 years now...it had its day but no thanks in 2017......I cant imagine for those that have paid since launch how much money they've wasted on this game.
    Aori said:
    I agree with the others saying its time to move on...Both the players and Blizzard.....Really this game feels like a cash cow that has been ridden for over 12 years now...it had its day but no thanks in 2017......I cant imagine for those that have paid since launch how much money they've wasted on this game.
    If people still want to pay for it, why stop?
    I think if they went back to their roots this game could be good again, at least for me. :awesome:
    TheScavenger
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    WoW's garbage and Im tired of these posts honestly.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Rasiem said:
    WoW's garbage and Im tired of these posts honestly.
    Real shame this site forced you to read it.
    Oh wait..  :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    edited February 2017
    Blizzard is one of the few good MMO developers so I am not shocked WoW craps on most MMOs, even years later.

Daybreak? Aeria? Cryptic, Nexon?

Uh, no?

Anyone can make an MMO now and days, the Indie scene has is a cesspool. I stand correct, the MMO scene is a cesspool imo.

I cannot name 5 great MMO developers, maybe if I pondered long enough but not off the bat.
  • healboothealboot Member UncommonPosts: 103
    danwest58 said:
    WOW in is current form is nothing more than a Massive Single Player game with no community and what there is in the community is so toxic the game is not fun.  

When WOW was a social game where it required you to make friends or screw off the game was the best.  You didnt have a game losing subs left and right because the Core pillar of an MMO was there.  Today people play it for 3 maybe 6 months out of the entire expansion and then leave.  

Why do you think there is a push for classic servers?  Its not nostalgia or rose tinted classes.  Its because the MMO Community not the community that just came to play an MMO because it was the thing to do, is changing.  Look at what the MMO community is asking for in games like Pantheon or, COE, or SOTA, they all want the same thing, players forced to play together at some level and a social aspect to the game.  Why?  Because that is what built the MMO Industry.  WOW Didn't built the industry but it did have an impact, both good and bad.  The Good Impact was making MMOs PRE WOTLK casual but still requiring team work, and social skills.  After that the games became nothing more than lobby based games and while it was popular at first people got board of it now.

Hell I am in Grievance and just the other day people were complaining that use to love the Automated group finder tools that today these group finder tools is what is keeping them from having fun because of all the drama with these thrown together groups.  They also cannot find friends anymore in these games and are tired of the treadmill these tools create.  These people are now trying not to use these tools at all because its become something they no longer like.  While yes there are countless non MMORPG gamers trying to play MMORPGs that want these tools you can see MMORPG gamers not wanting anymore to do with these tools and developers are responding to it.  

WOW could fix their entire problem by having vanilla servers and YES these servers will have large communities and yes they could make retail look like a pile of crap that it is.  The funny thing is you see on the WOW forums people voting down anyone who does not like LFD/LFR yet they are the vocal minority because the large percentage of the player base will never vote on the forums they will be like my wife who just unsubs.  

What is grievance? and what does that have to do with anything? Lots of BLA BLA BLA and my wife un subs?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    healboot said:
    danwest58 said:
    WOW in is current form is nothing more than a Massive Single Player game with no community and what there is in the community is so toxic the game is not fun.  

When WOW was a social game where it required you to make friends or screw off the game was the best.  You didnt have a game losing subs left and right because the Core pillar of an MMO was there.  Today people play it for 3 maybe 6 months out of the entire expansion and then leave.  

Why do you think there is a push for classic servers?  Its not nostalgia or rose tinted classes.  Its because the MMO Community not the community that just came to play an MMO because it was the thing to do, is changing.  Look at what the MMO community is asking for in games like Pantheon or, COE, or SOTA, they all want the same thing, players forced to play together at some level and a social aspect to the game.  Why?  Because that is what built the MMO Industry.  WOW Didn't built the industry but it did have an impact, both good and bad.  The Good Impact was making MMOs PRE WOTLK casual but still requiring team work, and social skills.  After that the games became nothing more than lobby based games and while it was popular at first people got board of it now.

Hell I am in Grievance and just the other day people were complaining that use to love the Automated group finder tools that today these group finder tools is what is keeping them from having fun because of all the drama with these thrown together groups.  They also cannot find friends anymore in these games and are tired of the treadmill these tools create.  These people are now trying not to use these tools at all because its become something they no longer like.  While yes there are countless non MMORPG gamers trying to play MMORPGs that want these tools you can see MMORPG gamers not wanting anymore to do with these tools and developers are responding to it.  

WOW could fix their entire problem by having vanilla servers and YES these servers will have large communities and yes they could make retail look like a pile of crap that it is.  The funny thing is you see on the WOW forums people voting down anyone who does not like LFD/LFR yet they are the vocal minority because the large percentage of the player base will never vote on the forums they will be like my wife who just unsubs.  

What is grievance? and what does that have to do with anything? Lots of BLA BLA BLA and my wife un subs?

Grievance is a very large "corporate" style gaming organization. It's members play together across most major MMOs and he's saying the members there are coming to the realization the costs of recent convenience features may exceed their benefits, and actually done real harm to the genre overall.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I just read random article , some tidbit about what Blizzard learned from last WoW expansion. And one thought blew my mind.

300 developers actively working on WoW. Even now 12 years after.

So its 16 years of continuous content development with team that is 300 people at its smallest - and its all Blizzard quality people.

LOL , how can anything compete ?

( disclaimer , i dont play WoW , neither did I play it since Vanilla )
    Quantity does not always equal quality :)