Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited September 2016
    well, does someone know how they will adress griefing and "kids" in an open world buildable by everyone?

otherwise, all good structurs WILL get destroyed by griefers, and the little ones will build a legion of... johnsons..... ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Leonis26Leonis26 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Hey there, I'm from the DU forum. I see here you don't talk much about it.
    The game is 18+ only, there won't be any child sensed to be playing it.
  • TheFunky1TheFunky1 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    This looks to have some interesting ideas. I like where it's headed and will be keeping an eye on it.
  • SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217
    edited September 2016
    Hey guys I also wanted to drop by and raise awareness of this game.

Its currently being kickstarted and we are still looking for additional pledges. I understand that people are a bit sceptic when it comes to the game because of recent events. Novaqaurk is making some bold claims and naturally people are not sure what to believe. Wich JC the creative director recognises and admits as being healthy.

So I decided to post a few links for people to look at. In the hopes to establish the credibility of NQ.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Christophe_Baillie this is the wiki page of JC. As you can see he is a very respected scientist. He graduated from the french version of MIT. After his 1st succesful compagny he decided to follow his other passion, gaming. In 2011 he first started prototyping the tech that is the foundation for Dual Universe. When he makes claims about the game realise that this is coming from a respected scientist. Not some unknown guy in a basement selling a dream on kickstarter. 

Its only in 2014 when he finished developing his new tech solution that he started Novaquark to develop Dual Universe. Up until the kickstarter the game was funded on his own private budget and the help of a few investors he has worked with before. And given his background in artificial intelligence it is logical that the game would become a sandbox with emergent gameplay.

The kickstarter was initiated to ensure that NQ can stay independant. So that they did not need to compromise on the vision they have for the game.

People wonder how that amount is enough for an mmo. JC explains that they are more of a tech company then a content creating company. Its cheaper to develop tools and systems then develop hours of quests, models, animations etc.

There is a lot more I could write about showing how NQ is a legit company with its background backing up the bold claims. But I will end with posting some interesting links.

this a video of the open door event. Fans who got to play with the game.

this quickly shows how building a ship currently works.

There is a wealth of information on youtube in the form of developer interviews. 

My apologies for this long post but I really care about the company and the game. As mmo players we keep complaining about developers not innovating. Now we have someone who really is doing something that breaks the mold. It would be a shame not to see them succeed.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949863330/dual-universe-civilization-building-sci-fi-mmorpg/description
    Please concider backing.

Thank you for your time.

Ps: I am Falstaf on the DU forum. Feel free to contact me. 
    Post edited by Sabas on
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Thanks for the info. 

French version of MIT? I would rather say european, or all but american, version of MIT. The X is a school internationally renowned, and there is no such kind all over europe.
    Thanks for this long explaining post.
    Still weird to see itself in a youtube video x)
  • SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217
    edited September 2016
    If you want to know a lot more look for the community website and the forum on google, we have wide amount of threads there.
    I understand the veterans are 'rare', but why am I a green 'Uncommon' and @prankster101 a white 'Common'? Mystery of this forum.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Leonis26 said:
    Hey there, I'm from the DU forum. I see here you don't talk much about it.
    The game is 18+ only, there won't be any child sensed to be playing it.
    Griefing has nothing to do with age. People who want to grief are gonna grief. It's not like "well now that I'm 18 I can no longer act like a tool in MMOs" lol.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

I said that because he said 'kids'. I didn't noticed the sarcasm.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Exciting ideas...I've begun to follow the game
  • PangscarPangscar Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Just backed with a $150 Gold package. Don't regret it for a second.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Pangscar said:
    Just backed with a $150 Gold package. Don't regret it for a second.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round. :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• virtuellavirtuella Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Was caught by the NMS hype myself, bought PS4, the game on PS4 and the game on PC.
    100 hours later i put down No mans sky, after having some fun, but felt like something missed.

Along the way came NovaQuark and DualUniverse and it looked really interesting.
    Go nuts building spaceships and buildings in a Voxel generated PvP Universe, and travel to other systems in time.
    Having seen what amazing stuff that can be made with Voxels in Landmarks the game, this Dual Universe sounded like something i would love.

Pledged this with 100 Euro because that NovaQuark seems to have learned from Hello Games mistakes and NovaQuark is open about everything.
    They seems honest about everything and say what they can and can't do.
    They are not afraid to show off their pre alpha engine/content.
    Seems like these guys are legit.

The good thing about pledging is that i get Alpha and beta Acces and then i can see for myself if this is turning into another NMS, and if so then i can calm my hype and save some time getting all worked up over nothing.
    That's 100 Euro worth for me, plus i don't mind try and help some developers on the way to programming a game we hopefully will have a lot of fun in.

Time will tell.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    DMKano said:

Also - the building tools look overly cumbersome to use - which was exactly the problem in Landmark. Not everyone has CAD experience. 

IMO for voxel building to be popular with masses it must be easy and accessible to pretty much anyone (which is one of the reasons why Minecraft is so popular as everyone can do Lego block building)

I'd say they need to provide a "basic" building mode and an "advanced" building mode.

The vast majority of gamers don't have the patience or artistic aptitude to build awesome ships or structures. That will probably be the domain of a handful of players who'll be able to sell their creations to others.

Voxels may even allow the first "true" crafting to be done in MMO's !

But the performance implications will be interesting...
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    DMKano said:

Also - the building tools look overly cumbersome to use - which was exactly the problem in Landmark. Not everyone has CAD experience. 

IMO for voxel building to be popular with masses it must be easy and accessible to pretty much anyone (which is one of the reasons why Minecraft is so popular as everyone can do Lego block building)

This is exactly why I ended up pulling my pledges at the end.   I was just thinking that the idea sounded awesome but it just seemed complicated.  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

DMKano said:
    Since this is not using any instancing or phasing and it allows for theoretically infinite number of players in the same world -

what mechanic is used to prevent 10 thousand players all going to the same spot and crashing the game for everyone?

Finally  voxel games are notoriously bad as far as "player density" in game due to voxel stream overhead - as in all the changes to voxels have to to be sent to the server and back to all the clients.

This severely limits how many players can build/destroy the world without HUGE lag spikes.
    Really to me it looks like building in Second Life, not sure if you have ever worked with building in SL but it's really not that hard to figure out and as intuitive as you expect it to be, but can be as complex as you want it as well.  The building tools aren't far off from most most developers use, no shiny UI for it, but I imagine could add it later to make it look easier on the eyes and less "scary" for those who think it looks like autocad.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    DMKano said:

This is exactly why I ended up pulling my pledges at the end.   I was just thinking that the idea sounded awesome but it just seemed complicated.  
    Some games end up creating a library of pre-made structures and items to start with which you can build on.  Plus encouraged modders would be a good thing.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited October 2016
    DMKano said:

Some games end up creating a library of pre-made structures and items to start with which you can build on.  Plus encouraged modders would be a good thing.
    Exactly, not everyone is gonna want to build, some people will just want to buy and fly so it's nice that there are robust building tools available to creative folks. I don't see this as an accessibility issue at all. You don't have to do the building stuff, it's OK. It's only a small part of the whole game. xD
    SWG Bloodfin vet

Dev dairies

SWG Bloodfin vet