Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New PC maybe, need some help

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
My computer is not 5.5 years old.  I have replaced the drives so I don't need those.  I also don't need monitor/keyboard/mouse.

I will probably be throwing a new drives in my old and passing it down to my kids so I can't get anything out of it but the drives.

I won't be OCing.  I don't need DVD or blu-ray drives.

I think I would like to be between 1k and 1.2k  I would like a video card that has 3-4 HDMI ports.  16 GB ram.  Only special thing I need is a wireless network card.

I am not 100% set on buying now.  I don't have a rush to get a new PC, so if it makes sense to wait for some reason I can.  Build ideas are welcomed. 

lastly, if my budget seems to his, since I don't need drives, I am happy to spend less.

The system will primarily be used for gaming.  I don't need the best graphics in the world.  If a 1k build makes sense there is no reason to get a card $200 more just to spend the 1200. 

Thanks in advance. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    edited February 2017
    $1200 Can get you quite a powerful computer.  One question before I go picking out parts. Are you interested in VR with an a Rift or Vive? Also, what is the max resolution of the monitor you're using?

I ask because if you're not really interested in getting a VR headset and the resolution of your monitor, then I'll recommend a considerably cheaper video card.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I don't think I have seen a video card with more than 1 HDMI port. 3 DisplayPort has been getting common.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    At that budget you could get about GTX 1070 and I7 7700K.

But if you're ready to wait, AMD's new processors should be available in less than 3 months, and new graphic cards in less than 6 months. Even if you don't want AMD, those should bring Intel's and NVidia's high end product prices down a lot.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Raunu said:
    $1200 Can get you quite a powerful computer.  One question before I go picking out parts. Are you interested in VR with an a Rift or Vive? Also, what is the max resolution of the monitor you're using?

I ask because if you're not really interested in getting a VR headset and the resolution of your monitor, then I'll recommend a considerably cheaper video card.
    I am at 1920x1080 now.  Probably don't need anything different. 

VR, no plans at the moment.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Vrika said:

But if you're ready to wait, AMD's new processors should be available in less than 3 months, and new graphic cards in less than 6 months. Even if you don't want AMD, those should bring Intel's and NVidia's high end product prices down a lot.
    I am ok waiting, not sure about 6+ more months though. 

--John Ruskin

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited February 2017
    MMOman101 said:
    Vrika said:

I am ok waiting, not sure about 6+ more months though. 
    AMD's processors should launch early march, and their graphic cards should launch during Q2.

You might not have to wait for 6+ more months. But since we don't know how much supply there will be available at launch and how fast the prices are going to drop I gave you a little pessimistic estimate.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    the big question is, do any of the games you currently play need a new computer or upgrade? if answer is yes, wise to start looking, if answer is no, there is no reason to buy a new PC.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    If you can hold off until the new AMD CPU's and GPU's launch, even if your not after them they will shake up the current pricing of parts a lot.
    ianicus said:
    the big question is, do any of the games you currently play need a new computer or upgrade? if answer is yes, wise to start looking, if answer is no, there is no reason to buy a new PC.
    I completely disagree with your premise. 

I am playing ED now and it could definitely run more smoothly.  I don't want to build a PC for ED. 

--John Ruskin

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Elite Dangerous = ED
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I FOUND A GPU WITH 4 HDMI PORTS! AND IT SUCKS! Only Filmoret would recommend it, so I will dig a bit deeper.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited February 2017
    Why do you want 3-4 HDMI ports?  DisplayPort is the modern standard--which is why there are many video cards with 3+ DisplayPort ports and not so many with that many HDMI ports.  I don't know if this is still the case, but some of AMD's early GPUs that supported more than two monitors could only support at most two non-DisplayPort monitors.  If you're planning to run 3-4 HDMI monitors from a single video card, you'd better make sure that card supports it.
    Quizzical said:
    Why do you want 3-4 HDMI ports?  DisplayPort is the modern standard--which is why there are many video cards with 3+ DisplayPort ports and not so many with that many HDMI ports.  I don't know if this is still the case, but some of AMD's early GPUs that supported more than two monitors could only support at most two non-DisplayPort monitors.  If you're planning to run 3-4 HDMI monitors from a single video card, you'd better make sure that card supports it.
    My 2 monitors are 5+ years old and I have a TV that I want to be able to hook up only  has HDMI.  Both monitors only have HDMI and VGA. 

So my options are buying new monitor, using VGA, or HDMI.  Fomr those options HDMI seems like the best solution.   If someone can present a better alternative I am open minded. 

--John Ruskin

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    You can get cables that convert from Display Port to HDMI, so getting a GPU that has 2+ Display Ports is probably a good idea, particularly if in say a years time you decide you want a better monitor too.
    https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/cables/audiovideocables/hdmi/hdhdport-005-1m.html

Phry said:
    You can get cables that convert from Display Port to HDMI, so getting a GPU that has 2+ Display Ports is probably a good idea, particularly if in say a years time you decide you want a better monitor too.
    https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/cables/audiovideocables/hdmi/hdhdport-005-1m.html

I like that  solution well enough. 

--John Ruskin

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Even with cables, there might be a limit to how many HDMI monitors will work.  In the early days of supporting more than two monitors on AMD GPUs, in order to use a DisplayPort to something else adapter and have it work past two monitors, it had to be an active adapter that costs about $100.  (On Nvidia, it required multiple video cards entirely.)  I don't know if that situation has changed in newer generations, but you'd best look into it if that's your plan.