Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skeptimistically Impressed - Ashes of Creation Columns

Comments

• LoudWisperLoudWisper Member UncommonPosts: 76
    cant wait to see what they come up with. AoC i have my eye on you.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

TimEisen said:

Open world flagging in SWG led to Star Wars like bursts of random action. It was great.

Hated SWG flagging system. Nothing kills it quite like the rebel scum who just killed you and danced on your corpse a few minutes ago now being "covert" and unattackable.

Torval said:

Not a fan of flagging systems. I can't think of a game where flagging couldn't be abused especially to grief those who don't want to flag. That includes Rift, WoW, SWTOR, and a few others. They can be shored up mostly, but it's still a really weak point and it sucks if you get targeted.

Agreed. I'm OK with safe zones or RvR type stuff but I like clean rules of engagement and "flags" are far from that.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Very ambitious on a shoestring budget. Will wait for release to give this any real thought.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Tiller said:

SlyLoK said:

Please have optional PvP or PvE servers.

From the website-

"Our PvP mechanics follow a flagging system, as well as static PvP zones at certain points of interest; fight for control over cities, castles, caravans, or hunting grounds. Our PvP is designed to offer the players a well-balanced and fair world to shape through the pen, or sword should they choose."

Sounds a bit like SWG, which is a plus.

If you can pull off a SWG Flag system as well as Crafting system I am in. I miss the old days of the game taking skill to be the best crafter or PVPer or PVEer. The ONLY thing I dont want from the old days is i n SWG it could take you an hour to hop 3 planets just to get to your friends. I personally like the UO way of travel OR Vanilla WOW Travel which yes you could get on a bird for 5 minutes between zones.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

TimEisen said:

Open world flagging in SWG led to Star Wars like bursts of random action. It was great.

Hated SWG flagging system. Nothing kills it quite like the rebel scum who just killed you and danced on your corpse a few minutes ago now being "covert" and unattackable.

Torval said:

Not a fan of flagging systems. I can't think of a game where flagging couldn't be abused especially to grief those who don't want to flag. That includes Rift, WoW, SWTOR, and a few others. They can be shored up mostly, but it's still a really weak point and it sucks if you get targeted.

Agreed. I'm OK with safe zones or RvR type stuff but I like clean rules of engagement and "flags" are far from that.

Flagging in SWG was rarely abused because the old world PVP happened in the cities or in Player run bases with often 15+ people on both sides so it was hard to keep yourself from flagging PVP when the battle started. Yep If 15 Imps were sitting in a city with 3 Rebels and the rebels wouldnt flag up tough shit, no one in their right mind would flag up in that situation. Often times people bitched that 3 people wouldnt flag up just to die to 15 other people. I PVPed lot in SWG and had little to no problem with people not flagging up until I was dead, if I was going to die that person that flags up at the end honestly didnt matter because that bounty hunter was taking out my commando anyway. But the beast master with an AT-ST was dead in less than 5 seconds.
    danwest58 said:

TimEisen said:

Torval said:

Flagging in SWG was rarely abused because the old world PVP happened in the cities or in Player run bases with often 15+ people on both sides so it was hard to keep yourself from flagging PVP when the battle started. Yep If 15 Imps were sitting in a city with 3 Rebels and the rebels wouldnt flag up tough shit, no one in their right mind would flag up in that situation. Often times people bitched that 3 people wouldnt flag up just to die to 15 other people. I PVPed lot in SWG and had little to no problem with people not flagging up until I was dead, if I was going to die that person that flags up at the end honestly didnt matter because that bounty hunter was taking out my commando anyway. But the beast master with an AT-ST was dead in less than 5 seconds.
    To each their own.  I saw it abused plenty.  I just find it personally to be a bad system.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    ASoC
  • LemureLemure Member UncommonPosts: 24
    You know nothing about their budget. And their team is a nice size for this stage, and I'm sure will grow soon. Less assumptions and more positivity should be afforded to these guys. They are doing this out of passion.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

Unreal 4... I'm not aware of any game using UE4 that can support even medium-scale (~100 players) battles with decent performances. =/

There's something about that on their website. Basically they said Unreal 4 is very customizable so that's something they think they can adjust.

Unreal Engine 4 is designed to create small, fully-functional projects right out of the box. Since an MMO is a literal culmination of every extreme in game design, one might, quite understandably, balk at the idea of using UE4 for such a project. Fortunately, UE4 is easily modified at a source code level to allow for custom or extensive divergences from the default, small project functionality. We have identified what we need to change – most notably, the network communication and level loading code – in order to get the gaming experience that is expected of a modern MMO.
    edited February 2017

Aori said:

Game is way to ambitious for a team and budget so small..

I don't think we know what their budget is honestly. Their website says they have investors and that they'll do a Kickstarter later on. So it's possible they got a decent chunk of cash from elsewhere. I didn't get the impression they were relying on crowdfunding, but merely using it as one tool among many.
    Nanfoodle said:
    What combat system will Ashes have?
    It's more tab-target than Action.
    Apparently they're doing a hybrid of tab target and action. It seems targeting is more tab but it has dodges and things? It's still so early though in development so that can change. From the amount of people on their forums asking for more action combat styled mechanics I'm hoping they'll reconsider. Personally I just really want some Tera style free-aiming. Not hard aiming, can be as easy to aim as Tera, but the freedom of that sort of system is so much fun. I'll be keeping my eye out for any new developments on that front for sure.
    edited February 2017
    TimEisen said:

TimEisen said:

Torval said:

What it did for SWG is it made for SWG like moments where action burst out of a Cantina. That said it was rife with trolling and lame taunting. I'm also not sure it would work in a non Star Wars game. I recall playing another game where people had to flag for PVP and it was incredibly lame and infuriating.
    With some of the language I've seen the devs use in some videos and with how it's described on their website, I get the impression they're going for a more Lineage 2 style flagging and karma system with the purple, white, red, and also green names. So they want to encourage consensual PvP flagging, while still allowing PKing for those who want it. I think it'll work well. BDO has a similar system as well.

This Q&A summed it up pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a33CCtp35tU&t=377s
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited February 2017
    Lemure said:
    You know nothing about their budget. And their team is a nice size for this stage, and I'm sure will grow soon. Less assumptions and more positivity should be afforded to these guys. They are doing this out of passion.
    There are no optimists around here. I have heard stories about a dozen living before the beast NGE pillaged lands of SWG. No clue about their exact philosophy but they are all dead for sure.

Since then optimism equals blasphemy and shall be crucified and vilified. 

We have only pessimists and realists around here. And so far is game is getting an excellent feedback compared to others. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Lemure said:
    Sorry Ozmodan, lineage 2 had open world flagging system and worked just fine
    Not in the west!  They don't seem to mind it so much in the east.  You should be careful of your facts.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I suggest people read their FAQ to get a better idea of the whole game design.
    Obviously i understand no game will ever 100% cater to mine or anyone's needs but we can ask a game to come close.

I know exactly what areas of this game will be a concern to me but i see a lot of good things that it might still hold my interest.
    I don't like scaling having fully experienced it for years and not a fan of pvp.I know their pvp systems seems good but what happens with pvp is it makes a developer have to balance each and every class where a good pve game does NOT need to ever be balanced.

Balancing ,i mean to each other as players,you always need to balance your game per the content.

So really i only see scaling as a bottleneck but we still need to see how grouping/combat will work.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited February 2017
    Well, this is the second of the un-released MMOs I'm actually looking forward to. There is star citizen as well, but this game is a lot more my type from the looks of it (meaning, I kind of like fantasy more than space games). The features sound good on paper though. Star Citizen still looks like it could be awesome though (especially with the ground based combat and planet exploration), so I may end up playing both if they are both good.

Not hyped for either, since I prefer to see how things develop. But, I'll probably kickstart this like I did for Star Citizen (they plan to have one). Does it not release? Does it suck and there is no hope at all? Did they abandon it? DID THEY LIE? well, I won't be bothered by the first three.

Its always annoying though no matter the game if the developer flat out lies (like No Man's Sky)m but luckily I didn't buy that particular game and only played on my friends PC lol

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Lemure said:
    Exactly, let's see some hard numbers about their budgets and build plans.  Less "hope and dreams" and more science behind the development.

We've yet to see a single, indie created, full featured MMORPG launch yet, not even the big money ones like SC.

I reserve the right to be skeptical at this point.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

My biggest concern is, like with every game, combat. If they can get that right they'll be fine. But it's a big if, so we'll see.
  • consacreaufilmconsacreaufilm Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Talking about making a game, and actually being a game are two separate things. Age of Conan is a real game you can play. This is not. AoC = Age of Conan... Of course they don't own the acronym. But at least its a real game.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Its another game that is 3+ years away from full release and there's always a huge change from developers original game concept until it actually becomes a game. At this stage its not more of a game than ultima online 2, lineage 3, the original swg, the original warhammer, project titan, project copernicus, world of darkness and everquest next.

The only thing they really showed is that they know how to make something look good in their game engine. They didn't show anything of the actual game.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • EvilweeblEvilweebl Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited February 2017
    Aori said:
    Sorry to say, but lets squash this dirty little rumour before it kicks in. Steven Sharif, the founder of the company is a multi-millionaire, I highly dout funding is an issue, and have created more of a game than those that have demanded money while only showing concept art. 

While the team has been small since the games original development point they have begun hiring more staff at the start of this year. Not to mention all these staff members have worked on triple AAA titles, making the quality of the team itself way above Indie. 

Now being skeptical is fine. I am a skeptical person myself, but thats also more the reason why you need give such companies time to prove you wrong, and base comments on facts rather than rumours or hersay.

Kyleran said:
    Lemure said:
    Exactly, let's see some hard numbers about their budgets and build plans.  Less "hope and dreams" and more science behind the development.

We've yet to see a single, indie created, full featured MMORPG launch yet, not even the big money ones like SC.

Yep. Its good to be skeptical. And yes you should wait and see some facts and figures.
    http://www.10incomes.com/page/top-250-life-time-earners-in-mlm-1

As you can see, simple one of Steven Sharifs buisness alone generated $7,000,000. He maybe a very avid MMORPG gamer, but he is also an incredibly savvy buisness man. The fact hes chosen to use his millions, and sank it into making his dream MMORPG, I would consider it to be declaration of his passion. This game has alot more funding than other Kickstarter MMO's began with, and they only had concept art to display for their games, the kickstater for this game hasnt even launched yet, and they have already a working pre-alpha copy of the game. Id say thats some impressive stuff so far already. Either way they havent asked anyone to forkover money yet, and most people promoting the game are community members currently.

Best thing you can do to support a game like this is be positive about it, and that positivity doesnt cost you much. Being critical is fine also, Steven surely knows from me already if i think there is something even minorly wrong about the games development he gets some instantanious input from me!  Join the community discord and chat with Steven Sharif himself. Hes an exceptionally nice guy.
    Youtube Channel: yt/DeathsProxy
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    You can use me as your scapegoat lol

How often have i given a game any early thumbs up,this is imo only 1 of 3 games worth keeping an eye on during development.One of the other 2 is too cash shop focused so it will lose me for certain  and the other is well iffy imo.

This game has imo the most potential upside,of course it can still end up disappointing me but for now i have my fingers crossed.

If i NEVER see any yellow markers over npc heads or markers of any kind in the world,i might just give them money out of happiness lmao.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Evilweebl said:
    Aori said:
    Sorry to say, but lets squash this dirty little rumour before it kicks in. Steven Sharif, the founder of the company is a multi-millionaire, I highly dout funding is an issue, and have created more of a game than those that have demanded money while only showing concept art. 

While the team has been small since the games original development point they have begun hiring more staff at the start of this year. Not to mention all these staff members have worked on triple AAA titles, making the quality of the team itself way above Indie. 

Now being skeptical is fine. I am a skeptical person myself, but thats also more the reason why you need give such companies time to prove you wrong, and base comments on facts rather than rumours or hersay.

Kyleran said:
    Lemure said:

Yep. Its good to be skeptical. And yes you should wait and see some facts and figures.

As you can see, simple one of Steven Sharifs buisness alone generated $7,000,000. He maybe a very avid MMORPG gamer, but he is also an incredibly savvy buisness man. The fact hes chosen to use his millions, and sank it into making his dream MMORPG, I would consider it to be declaration of his passion. This game has alot more funding than other Kickstarter MMO's began with, and they only had concept art to display for their games, the kickstater for this game hasnt even launched yet, and they have already a working pre-alpha copy of the game. Id say thats some impressive stuff so far already. Either way they havent asked anyone to forkover money yet, and most people promoting the game are community members currently.

Best thing you can do to support a game like this is be positive about it, and that positivity doesnt cost you much. Being critical is fine also, Steven surely knows from me already if i think there is something even minorly wrong about the games development he gets some instantanious input from me!  Join the community discord and chat with Steven Sharif himself. Hes an exceptionally nice guy.
    I see your Steven Sharif and raise you a Curt Schilling, R.A. Salvatore and a Todd McFarlane. Let's also throw a nice heaping $75M loan guarantee on top as the cherry.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited February 2017
    Evilweebl said:
    Aori said:

While the team has been small since the games original development point they have begun hiring more stafoodff at the start of this year. Not to mention all these staff members have worked on triple AAA titles, making the quality of the team itself way above Indie. 

Kyleran said:
    Lemure said:

I see your Steven Sharif and raise you a Curt Schilling, R.A. Salvatore and a Todd McFarlane. Let's also throw a nice heaping $75M loan guarantee on top as the cherry.
    Exactly the example which came to mind, and Curt didn't even use KS.

If the founder is investing so much into this, the KS is unnecessary.

Yeah yeah, free money and all, but normally its a thimbleful of the total needed to make a MMORPG and would not be worth the hassle of being beholden to the backers if not needed. (unless his goal is $10M, then I'll be impressed)

But it does appear to have a much better chance than most, and Wizardry is optimistic which almost never happens ;) so I will start paying more attention as they reveal more.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Come on, you cannot compare this game to the 38 studios debacle.  Curt Shilling was not a business man and he trusted people he should have never trusted to develop the game.  

This game has possibilities better than some of the other indies.
    Ozmodan said:

This game has possibilities better than some of the other indies.
    So said virtually every other Kickstarter to launch in the last few years.

Sad part is, if they have REASONABLE Kickstarter packages I will probably buy one anyhow, because I never do learn my lesson.