Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Animations!

I am all for oldschool gameplay for sure. The pace of combat group-centric style and progression of older mmorpg's such as EQ is better in my personal opinion... much more rewarding. One thing I have grown accustomed too, and something I think younger generation gamers require, are fluid animations.

Without fluid animations, people won't play, only perhaps some of the oldschool crowd. A lot of non-AAA mmorpg's seem to lack in this department, it is much more important for modern gamers than some people realize. 
Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I am all for oldschool gameplay for sure. The pace of combat group-centric style and progression of older mmorpg's such as EQ is better in my personal opinion... much more rewarding. One thing I have grown accustomed too, and something I think younger generation gamers require, are fluid animations.

Without fluid animations, people won't play, only perhaps some of the oldschool crowd. A lot of non-AAA mmorpg's seem to lack in this department, it is much more important for modern gamers than some people realize. 
    I think it would be great if they had "awesome animations" but I just don't see this happening.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2017
     Yet, there is quite a number of people playing ESO or SWTOR...
  • GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Gdemami said:
     Yet, there is quite a number of people playing ESO or SWTOR...
    I would certainly not say they are 'great', if you think they are actually bad though then you should play some budget mmorpg's. I'm talking animations breaks, no fluidity in the animations between actions and combat, they can be very very static. Budget Mmorpg's are practically renown for having shit animations.
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I'd settle for good animations! Animations are currently a WIP, and what we've seen so far have been said to be placeholders.

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Yeah We have to wait and see how the animations are in later stages of development. Its not something they usually work on much early on. Most games now days I play in 3rd person so I do get to see them.
     In EQ I played my bard in first person because it was more fun that way.  It made it easier to run over zone walls and fall through the world that I did many times in EQ.  I did go back a few years ago to EQ and run around in my bard in 3rd person and his run animation was bad but it didn't really bother me that much.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    For me game play comes first but for Pantheon to take its place as a MMO to play. Animations and graphics are important. It's a fact but all we can do is wait and see how they deliver. 
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I would say that animations are more important than overall graphics, in the end.  Fluidity over flash.
    It won't matter how great the general graphics are if all the movement and combat is jerky and disjointed.

I think WoW is a perfect example of this. Fluid animation, imo, is one of the biggest contributors to the success of WoW.
  • KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    Animations are something that we are working on currently, so you will see some good improvements in the coming months and we hope to have some of the changes implemented for our next stream, which does not currently have an eta ;)
  • EvorasXEvorasX Member UncommonPosts: 6
    For my 2 cents, Gameplay is King.

However, graphics - particularly animations - are rightly considered important since these are what we will notice as we watch our tank forget to taunt! Simple, yet fluid, animations will be more than enough for me!

Cannot wait to see more streams ...
    ... to compare the animations of course!
    Kilsin said:
    Animations are something that we are working on currently, so you will see some good improvements in the coming months and we hope to have some of the changes implemented for our next stream, which does not currently have an eta ;)
    Thats good to get an official word on whats going on. Thanks =-)
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I completely agree with the OP. I am also a die hard Old school MMO player and graphics make no difference to me, BUT..  animations and character feel is crucial.  WoW nailed it for character control and everything just *felt* right.  Daoc had stiffer character movement, but their animations were amazing. 

I think this is a really important aspect to a successful mmo and should not be downplayed or overlooked.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• solochoowookiesolochoowookie Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited February 2017

Agreed. This game can't look like a throwback and get my attention. I am frustrated this game has even made the list as it feels much more like a hobbyist effort than a studio build. I don't long for EQ II at the expense of design.

To be honest this seems very typical of western dev team. Short on staff, short on money, short on vision, yet trying to sell what is basically a niche indie as a AAA title...

When it took ESO years to introduce basic features I lost any faith that western studios are truly committed to making this genre of game anymore.

Camelot Unchained looks like shit as well in all of the play vids or screen shots. I could jump in my way back to 2005 and be super excited about it or Pantheon, but in 2017 this game looks old before it has even left the runway. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Nanfoodle said:
    For me game play comes first but for Pantheon to take its place as a MMO to play. Animations and graphics are important. It's a fact but all we can do is wait and see how they deliver. 
    I would agree to an extent I think. A prime example that comes to mind is Rift. Imo, it has pretty solid gameplay with plenty of versatility per class. The main issue though (again for me) is that the animations look almost the same regardless of what you are doing. So "epic" damaging moves dont really feel that great performing when they look exactly the same as another move. In the long run, for some people that's what kind of keeps them playing. Idk, if Trion re-invested in rift and updated the animations, I'd probably still play more.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited February 2017
    i agree , gameplay is king but the queen is animations no doubt ...if u arent "enjoying" what u see , the game isnt that fun.

Eq2 (outdated as hell) , swtor (albeit improved later on and why Sorc is more popular than Sage by miles) , Eso to some exent , is true that animations are a bit meh ....and dont forget Rift ugh ....

however animations arent everything (b&S , Tera as examples)
    edited February 2017

Agreed. This game can't look like a throwback and get my attention. I am frustrated this game has even made the list as it feels much more like a hobbyist effort than a studio build. I don't long for EQ II at the expense of design.

To be honest this seems very typical of western dev team. Short on staff, short on money, short on vision, yet trying to sell what is basically a niche indie as a AAA title...

When it took ESO years to introduce basic features I lost any faith that western studios are truly committed to making this genre of game anymore.

Camelot Unchained looks like shit as well in all of the play vids or screen shots. I could jump in my way back to 2005 and be super excited about it or Pantheon, but in 2017 this game looks old before it has even left the runway. 
    Its bigger then you think. They have a development team of about 40 people and they were expanding that as well. Also if you read the FAQ, they took what made sense from EQ1 and are adding allot of their own designs on top of that. Lots that will make Pantheon unique. 
  • Raidan_EQRaidan_EQ Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Animations/Graphics are important, but gameplay is king for me.  

Also, in addition to gameplay over graphics, I'd also vote for a smooth, polished game that runs well on machines that don't have to be top-end (not garbage either, but have some sliding scalers for mid-tier machines).

And, the Pantheon developers have continually discussed that they have been optimizing performance at each stage (and have learned the importance of this from VG's launch).  The graphics and animations could be the best, but if the game runs like crap, I'll only be staring at pretty screenshots.