Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never thought I will say this - But WoW is so far ahead of any other imaginable MMO right now

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    ikcin said:
    Forgrimm said:
    ikcin said:
    Forgrimm said:
    ikcin said:

Well, I still keep an old Nokia phone somewhere around, and I think it is working fine ;) As for the Overwatch, it is just an average FPS.

Yup, an average FPS with 25 million registered players..
    As a quality of gameplay it is an average FPS. But it is a product with very good advertising and marketing. Blizzard has a proven and successful marketing models. They just do not make great games anymore.
    Bad games don't get 25 million players in less than a year, regardless of marketing. Your claim was that they have no idea what to do in the future, but recent releases indicate that they're still doing fine and will likely continue to do so. Your opinion on the quality of their games is irrelevant to their massive success.

Your statement is delusional. Any product can get popularity with a good advertising. Do you remember things like Tamagotchi :) The amount of sales is not related with the quality. Also I did not say bad, but average FPS. Check your vocabulary, because bad is unlike average, and average is unlike great. Do you claim Overwatch is a bad game? Because I do not.
    Also see Apple.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited February 2017
    Put the old talent system back in the new one is awful...

Wheres the new character models and graphics...

Wheres the ! and Quests on map (WITHOUT) using add-on for old questing areas...

Its still a awful experience.

** Back in the day I used to love WOW** But blizzard killed the game by changing key things like Talents that did not need to be changed, constant 24/7 arena grind, and Battle Grounds for PVP gear killed the whole game experience for me...

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    DMKano said:
    Because not everyone likes WoW.

example LoL

what he said! i would gladly take just about any unpolished sandbox over WoW any day of the week. but that's my preference just like ppl who love WoW are free to love WoW. also i dont need a quality sandbox to compete with WoW that would kinda defeat the point of why i prefer a non themepark to begin with.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    ikcin said:
    Forgrimm said:
    ikcin said:
    Forgrimm said:
    ikcin said:

Well, I still keep an old Nokia phone somewhere around, and I think it is working fine ;) As for the Overwatch, it is just an average FPS.

As a quality of gameplay it is an average FPS. But it is a product with very good advertising and marketing. Blizzard has a proven and successful marketing models. They just do not make great games anymore.
    Bad games don't get 25 million players in less than a year, regardless of marketing. Your claim was that they have no idea what to do in the future, but recent releases indicate that they're still doing fine and will likely continue to do so. Your opinion on the quality of their games is irrelevant to their massive success.

Your statement is delusional...
    Kind of like your claim that Blizz has no idea what to do in the future? 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    ikcin said:
    Volgore said:
    ikcin said:
    Forgrimm said:
    ikcin said:
    Forgrimm said:
    ikcin said:

Your statement is delusional. Any product can get popularity with a good advertising. Do you remember things like Tamagotchi :) The amount of sales is not related with the quality. Also I did not say bad, but average FPS. Check your vocabulary, because bad is unlike average, and average is unlike great. Do you claim Overwatch is a bad game? Because I do not.
    Also see Apple.
    Samsung sells more phones. So is Samsung making better phones? Another example - do you know what company makes the best monitors? The name is Eizo. Many people never heard about it.

Ok, so you say the quality is average, what are your KPI for that? How are you differentiating it between average, bad, and great? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Forgrimm said:
    ikcin said:
    WoW is a trap for the MMORPG industry and the Blizzard themselves. It became so big, due to many reasons, most of them was not related to the quality of the gameplay. Now Blizzard is like Nokia before the iPhone - a huge company, with many great products in the past, and without any clue what to do in the future. The Titan project made that obvious.
    Their great products from the past are doing just fine in the present. They've had massive success with recent releases as well, Overwatch is huge. The cancellation of one project isn't exactly an indication that they have no clue what to do in the future. I'd say they have a pretty good handle on the formula for success.
    Good call. That cancelled project just turned into something else that is currently dominating the genre its in, so I dont think they are hurting too much. As for the future, its the future. In the gaming industry in general, no one can tell how any game is going to do mainly because the market is becoming more and more over saturated.
    ikcin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    ikcin said:
    Volgore said:
    ikcin said:
    Forgrimm said:
    ikcin said:
    Forgrimm said:
    ikcin said:

Also see Apple.
    Samsung sells more phones. So is Samsung making better phones? Another example - do you know what company makes the best monitors? The name is Eizo. Many people never heard about it.

Ok, so you say the quality is average, what are your KPI for that? How are you differentiating it between average, bad, and great? 
    How Overwatch is better or worse than most other FPS games? There is nothing actually innovative or great about it, but it is well made - average.

So your measurement which carries the most weight is innovation? Cool, just wanted to see where you were coming from. So what's the best of all time for you? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited February 2017
    basically the main complain here is that WoW is singleplayer?

so, how many of you completed the raids yet? and no, i don't mean LFR, but if you play games on easy, that is fine too i guess.
    don't complain it's too easy tho and that you can do everything alone.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    ikcin said:
    Forgrimm said:
    ikcin said:

What are you talking about?  Overwatch is the best game ever created with best content voted best everything with best players and best company with best servers and best socks with the best hairdoes and best guns and best controls and best......best best best

just look how awesome the game is.   
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    300 seems about average for a "Tripple A MMO" game.
    IIRC Warframe has about 170-200, FFXIV is also 300ish

I wonder how many actively work on the bigger earners in the East.

I might give it a go after Holinka and Ian leave the team. Although I heard Blizzard after 10,000 years have learned their lesson about public testing. Aka, don't open your raids to public testing if you want some semblance of challenge. The first few months of legion were hot shit, what other option was there than to drop it.

Personally I miss Warhammer Online, even if it was the textbook example of poor balance and broken promises. Their healer class designs were way ahead of their times. Too ambitious, too few resources, too little time.

Currently I'm messing around on FFXIV, while the combat system is as boring as wow, with extra layers of convoluted rotations that exist only to imitate complexity and intricacy, everything else is pretty good. It's most definitely a much more casual game in comparison, but I never went into with an expectation of anything more. However I do believe that the over pampering of the casual crowd is going to be the game's downfall.

I wish I gigabit fiber and the ability to understand Japanese so I could enjoy DDON, but having the redownload the game every single hotfix and the English Patch breaking simultaneously was not tolerable. Seemed fun for the few days that I played.

Finally as for Overwatch, "MOBAs" exist for people with simple taste and fragile egos.

P.S. Lobo, you make some shit thread m8, keep it up.
  • VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    Blizzard  has done very well diversifying themselves. And have some great titles recently. But when it comes to MMO's they are dressing up the same cow in different clothing. Thats great if you like that cow.  WOW is starting to show its age. I was so sad they gave up on future MMO's.
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    vanilla wow is where it's at.

discuss.
    epoq said:
    vanilla wow was where it was at back in 2004 - 2006.

discuss.
    Agreed
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I just read random article , some tidbit about what Blizzard learned from last WoW expansion. And one thought blew my mind.

300 developers actively working on WoW. Even now 12 years after.

So its 16 years of continuous content development with team that is 300 people at its smallest - and its all Blizzard quality people.

LOL , how can anything compete ?

( disclaimer , i dont play WoW , neither did I play it since Vanilla )
    16 year 300 people later and they can't figure out a way of keeping what they create relavant for more than 3 months.... WoW
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited February 2017
    I just read random article , some tidbit about what Blizzard learned from last WoW expansion. And one thought blew my mind.

So its 16 years of continuous content development with team that is 300 people at its smallest - and its all Blizzard quality people.

I'd say FF:XIV is doing just damn fine at competing... and, although it is just a guess, I would also say FF:XIV is a major reason Blizzard is giving half a s*** about content updates again.

WoW is a fine game for those that enjoy it, and one of the few you can still enjoy without constantly dropping into the cash shop, but to suggest that it is 'so far ahead' of anything (except maybe F2P trash MMOs) is a joke.
  • mrbananasmrbananas Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I just feel like alot of old school mmo'ers need something refreshing with the same excitement we had as kids when we first logged in a mmorpg and felt that overwhelming suspence. But unfortunately I dont think we will ever experience it again with the way mmorpgs are leading. I guess we should be grateful we had 2 amazing mmorpgs, WoW and FFXI, both great classics. Atleast Sqaure enix moved on to XIV, blizzard are still milking their old formula. Don't really blame them. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2017
    mrbananas said:
    I just feel like alot of old school mmo'ers need something refreshing with the same excitement we had as kids when we first logged in a mmorpg and felt that overwhelming suspence. But unfortunately I dont think we will ever experience it again with the way mmorpgs are leading. I guess we should be grateful we had 2 amazing mmorpgs, WoW and FFXI, both great classics. Atleast Sqaure enix moved on to XIV, blizzard are still milking their old formula. Don't really blame them. 
    I was 45 years old when I logged into my first MMORPG.  I consider none of the games you mentioned amazing.

I am re-living past glory with recent launch of an old school DAOC shard, and yes Virginia, you really can go back. So I'm pretty sure we can go forward as well.

WOW is a juggernaut to be sure, so is LOL but I play neither.

Oh yes, because smartphones came up somehow, the past 2 I bought were made by "LG" and I'm likely to buy another this year.  

I'm just an outlier a I guess.

I did play vanilla WOW for a time I don't anymore. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    epoq said:
    vanilla wow is where it's at.

discuss.
    There is a reason that WoW went in a direction far away from Vanilla...  Vanilla is done and belongs to the past... sweet memories, but not nearly as good in real life as we remember..

WoW is where it is, however the community has changed, and its time for WoW to bring back features that definately pull the old timers back in the game, and keep them palying.. Some of those things are in Vanilla, other things need to be fresh and new...

Personally i trust Blizzard will make this happen, as so far it allways moved forward based on player demands..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

ikcin said:
    CrazKanuk said:

So your measurement which carries the most weight is innovation? Cool, just wanted to see where you were coming from. So what's the best of all time for you? 
    Well, to call a game great, or any product, there should be something great and different from all other products - it is obvious. If it is well made - it is just average.

Ahhhhhhh, ok....... Thanks for the clarity. Your post just changed the way the world will review games......

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

I think EQ and EQ2 would have something to say about that. 

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Lol throwing money around, and hiring a bunch of people doesn't = quality. That is equal to saying that since mcdonalds has millions of workers, a guy who starts a quality hamburger joint with 5 people has no chance to compete. Cant forget to mention the comparison to say, a huge government project that has billions and millions of people, and they fail at something, a smaller team of quality people manage. As far as video games go though, which is a highly subjective opinion based stew of nonsensical virtual nothings. Having more people doesnt mean jack. 

I personally think Uthgard, Project 99, and SWG emu beat all modern games. Not because of the game content either, but because they ban you and focus on keeping one account per person, and banning any one who does a real money transaction. That equals much more to me, than a corporation, that would sell their grandma to a player, if it meant getting them more money. Wow is so bad, they said hmmm we arent gonna focus our time on banning cheaters, rmt, people who run 50 accounts, chinese slavers, and the rest. What will will do for you though, is make a cash shop, that has instant level 90s. 
    ikcin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    ikcin said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Well, to call a game great, or any product, there should be something great and different from all other products - it is obvious. If it is well made - it is just average.

Ahhhhhhh, ok....... Thanks for the clarity. Your post just changed the way the world will review games......
    Most of the people who played WoW never played any other MMORPG. Or they played very few.
    Source?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2017
    ikcin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    ikcin said:
    CrazKanuk said:

That is called objectivity. Very few reviews of games are objective. Often the fan boys become haters, when they realize the hype is delusional. Others keep the hype, but it is always delusional. So to call every well made game the best ever, is just stupid, but common behavior. Most of the people who played WoW never played any other MMORPG. Or they played very few. But they call WoW the best game ever. In comparison to what? The thousands of different games you know nothing about. And that ignorant behavior is more common in the US.
    In comparison to every other game they've personally played of course.

No one can be expected to make comparisons to "thousands of different games" they've never played.

Why so much salt bro, having a bad life?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Torval said:
    I never thought I'd say this but there are 3 things you can count on:
    1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. MMO gamers having ridiculous epiphanies they must share
    what is epiphanies i looked it up, and it said something about christ. Are you saying mmo gamers are religious. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Torval said:
    I never thought I'd say this but there are 3 things you can count on:
    1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. MMO gamers having ridiculous epiphanies they must share
    what is epiphanies i looked it up, and it said something about christ. Are you saying mmo gamers are religious. 
    Although it can have religious meaning, here the closest definition would be "a moment of sudden revelation or insight".

I'll say mmo gamers often appear somewhat religious.  So do sport team fans.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance