Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft Earnings Report: WildStar No Longer Mentioned, GW 2 Reaches All-time Low

FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
From MMOs.com:
NCsoft reported their Q4, 2016 earnings report today and the company's headline number was good; sales increased 17% year over year. The company also broke down their sales by game franchise as they normally do, but one game was missing this time around: Wildstar.

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Wildstar is probably lumped into the "other sales," but still, ouch.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    GW2 is low most likely because most people who wanted to buy the expansion have done so, gem items can be purchased by gold conversion so I guess it's time to launch a new expansion. The population is still healthy from what I can see.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited February 2017
    The modal GW2 uses does not allow for a lot of earnings unless they sell expansions. Playing or investing in Wildstar now might not be the best idea all your work could go up in smoke when they shut it down.

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Captain here, GW2 and Wildstar are NCSoft games that are not published outside NA/EU (i.e. NA/EU dedicated servers only), no wonder both games have lower earnings than other NCSoft games.

*Captain flies away*

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    GW2 gated most of their new content.  Many new areas are a maze with multi levels and dead ends.  Some areas can't be accessed until the dynamic event has been done.  It's far from a ghost town and I still see lots of people around but they clobbered the fun factor which is what the original game emphasized.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Captain here, GW2 and Wildstar are NCSoft games that are not published outside NA/EU (i.e. NA/EU dedicated servers only), no wonder both games have lower earnings than other NCSoft games.

*Captain flies away*
    Guild Wars 2 did have a Chinese launch. It just didn't resonate with the eastern market.

WildStar botched its launches and failed to distinguish itself with a poorly designed endgame.

While Guild Wars 2 also has endgame issues, it does manage to distinguish itself with its own dedicated and respectable fanbase. Its main issues in regards to revenue also happen to be among its strengths. It is consumer friendly almost to a fault and all but encourages its users to take a casual leave-and-return approach. 
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    It makes no sense I don't know anyone that plays or played Lineage. 
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    L1 is still the biggest (or one of, more so than L2) MMO in KR.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Yeah its a heavy eastern game just like Silkroad and Cabal Online. Not so big in the west but definitely a few hundred thousand playing in the east. Probably because those games can run on a toaster similar to how so many play wow in the west for the same reason.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Albatroes said:
    Yeah its a heavy eastern game just like Silkroad and Cabal Online. Not so big in the west but definitely a few hundred thousand playing in the east. Probably because those games can run on a toaster similar to how so many play wow in the west for the same reason.
    It's also probably because it's the first mmo they ever played.

I remember visting asia, while back in the days all westeners are plaing wow, all asians are playing lineage.  
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited February 2017
    Lets be honest. A hardcore themepark MMO (Wildstar) is very niche, more niche than even a hardcore sandbox deathmatch MMO and that is saying A LOT.

This is mostly for themeparks...since EVE is pretty hardcore and popular. But themepark players generally aren't into a hardcore experience (except maybe outside of MMORPG.com)

Honestly, WoW proved if you want to be popular, part of the success (not all of it, Blizzard had a lot of other factors) is the game needs to be casual friendly.

Many themepark MMOs are a success, maybe not as much as WoW, but still a success and that is because they are easy to get into and content can be accessed by everyone...not just 1-2% of players who can experience said content.

Maybe people on MMORPG.com like hardcore themepark MMOs (hence why Wildstar was so hyped up here), but most casual gamers aren't going to be into that. Heck, before WoW made endgame raids easier to get into, only 1% of people who played WoW could actually raid. That is a huge problem, got fixed and they saw a huge boost in endgame activites and overall player activity. It did go down over time, but its still a top played MMO.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    People need to stop the " hardcore raid " as being the point of Wildstar's failure.   Broken raids, aka " unfinished gameplay " is what killed Wildstar.   The developers didn't even bother to make their main game mechanic polished so what chance did the game really have?               

At least maybe now people will stop treating GW2 like a special snowflake.  It's not " top anything " and is just an average run-of-the-mill microtransaction game.    
    People need to stop the " hardcore raid " as being the point of Wildstar's failure.   Broken raids, aka " unfinished gameplay " is what killed Wildstar.   The developers didn't even bother to make their main game mechanic polished so what chance did the game really have?               

At least maybe now people will stop treating GW2 like a special snowflake.  It's not " top anything " and is just an average run-of-the-mill microtransaction game.    
    Sure, mate. Guild Wars 2 is exactly like Perfect World, Allods Online, or League of Angels. There are no differences in quality, design philosophy, or consumer-friendliness at all. Righttttt. 
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited February 2017
    It's the most popular MMO in Korea.

Don't expect anything espectacular when they launch GW2 expansion, as for HoT, it will make around 30 billion won, nothing comared to the 100 billion won of the debut.
  • Location-YLocation-Y Member UncommonPosts: 1
    People need to stop the " hardcore raid " as being the point of Wildstar's failure.  
    The fact that the game focused on raids itself probably didn't kill it, that's right. What it indirectly did on the other hand was attract the worst of the worst that the mmo community has to offer and Carbine, oblivious, misguided or just too full of themselves, catered actively towards them.
    From elitist pricks to wannabe tryhards to the most fanatical of fanboys I have ever interacted with. The community during beta and at launch was atrocious, worse than any other I have encountered.  This led to people shouting down and insulting everyone that dared to voice criticism, be it about bugs, broken mechanics or outdated/stupid design decisions. It was a mixture of WoW LFR groups, STO nolifers, star citizen backers and EvE ~elite~ pvpers without any of the redeeming elements of their respective communities.
    If you weren't 100hundredhundredhundred percent on Carbines side on everything you were just a filthy casual that should go back to WoW. Well seems like enough people did exactly that.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited February 2017
    GW 2 so called "WoW killer" is not even "Aion killer". Wildstar was called "WoW 2.0" by some people here as well.
    GW2 is only relevant in west it doesn't have appeal in eastern markets and yet did not do bad, if you take the whole year into consideration it made on par with Lineage 2, 77 billion won. But don't expect that an expansion will make 100 billion like GW2's debut, it will at most make around 30 billion like when HoT launched.

• Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Wildstar has made vast improvements since its original launch and is hardly "Hardcore" anymore. Can you really use that excuse now? I don't believe so. It's had an image problem for a while now, and it is somewhat earned. Though the game seems to always be making improvements in the right way from what I see, its image should have recovered by now.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    B2P is a double edged sword.
    Chamber of Chains
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Phixion13 said:
    Wildstar has made vast improvements since its original launch and is hardly "Hardcore" anymore. Can you really use that excuse now? I don't believe so. It's had an image problem for a while now, and it is somewhat earned. Though the game seems to always be making improvements in the right way from what I see, its image should have recovered by now.
    Exactly this.
    Leveling if anything is way too fast and easy. And since gear is being handed out left and right, raids are being pugged 24/7.

Wildstar has alot of issues, but being too hardcore isn't one of them anymore.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited February 2017
    Phixion13 said:
    The problem then becomes, is exactly like Vanguard Saga of Heroes had.

Very bad first impressions, (Wildstar) at least the initial community for it sucked, perceived as a hardcore game (even though I guess it isn't anymore) and just a terrible launch in general, and sort of re-launch

Vanguard had a terrible launch, very bad first impressions. Even though it got fixed, it was always perceived as a broken game (even though it wasn't anymore) and...like Wildstar...Vanguard as well had a re-launch which didn't help at all.

Both games are pretty much identical in how much they failed, with some differences...like the crappy community Wildstar had (maybe its better now dunno).

But when a launch is just so bad, and the game is perceived in a certain way (Vanguard being broken, and Wildstar being made for the 1% MMO raiders), and at least the (initial) community so terrible...its VERY hard if not impossible to recover from that.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul