Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Homestead (Housing) Update launches today!

sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
edited February 2017 in Elder Scrolls Online
I just rejoined ESO last week after the Morrowind announcement. It's my first time playin the game since beta and ESO has me and my wife hooked! Naturally Weve been super excited for the housing update to drop and it turns out its today!!

Anyone got any idea what kind of house they are going to get? I'm probably going with a Medium sized High Elf house to start, then when Morrowind launches I'll probably get a Manor in the Vvardenfell District.

Im also excited you can mix and match the styles with the type of house, so I'll probably try and make a high elf home furnished with Dark Elf furniture.

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It depends, isn't there a quest for a house?  So... I'll start with the free one.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    It depends, isn't there a quest for a house?  So... I'll start with the free one.
    Yup you get a quest for your free apartment. After that you can purchase any house you like as long as your gain favor (do quests) in the area surrounding it.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    That's cool! I've just started playing ESO on my PS4 and housing is one of the things I was missing (when playing the PC). Too bad I'm pretty low right now, so I guess no housing for me for a while...
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Yup you get a quest for your free apartment. After that you can purchase any house you like as long as your gain favor (do quests) in the area surrounding it.
    I only have rep with Daggerfal Covenant I think. Too depressing to own a house there with all that rain and those boring dark grey houses, so I guess it is time for a vacation.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Housing my pet hobby in games.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    damn this game is quickly turning into the best overall mmo out.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Moxom914 said:
    At launch I thought it sucked balls, but the game has grown a lot since. Heck, I just streamed my gameplay from PS4 (just started with streaming games as well) and I had a peak of 15 viewers, and that at this hour...
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    Reizla said:
    Moxom914 said:
    At launch I thought it sucked balls, but the game has grown a lot since. Heck, I just streamed my gameplay from PS4 (just started with streaming games as well) and I had a peak of 15 viewers, and that at this hour...
    i played on pc at launch and thought it was ok. tried again later on ps4 and loved it. gonna start getting into it again thx to one tamriel. 
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Downloading patch!
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I hope you can live at a friend's place... like real life
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    The server is absolutely packed.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I know... I'm on there now and there are like billions of peepz in Davon's Watch
    Perhaps I should wait awhile until the bugs are ironed out.  
    Post from a PTU tester.

willlienellson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, I want to congratulate Zos on a wonderful addition to the game. I'm absolutely thrilled with this patch. Both the variety of the homes and the ability to customize them is very exciting. However, there are some pretty obvious flaws that could EASILY be fixed to make the patch so much better.

1) Missing PvP Achievement Furnishings.
    There is no furnishing for the Emperor SLAYER achievement or the Warlord slayer achievement. I know it takes a lot of dedication and effort to get emperor, but some players take great pride in their slayer achievements as well.

2) Surplus Siege Does Not Fire.
    I had this vision of placing a banner of the enemy faction on the far wall of my compound and using it as a target for a bank of ballistas. Except they don't fire. At all.

3) Properties are Lifeless and Dead
    It doesn't take very long before it dawns on you how hauntingly devoid of life these houses are. Nothing moves. Nothing. At all.

4) All Animals are.....Lifeless and Dead
    Okay, this is kinda the same thing, but mounts and pets don't move. Forget “wandering” - they don't so much as lay down, yawn, or shake their heads. Everything looks like taxidermy.

5) Price Too High....w/Limited Functionality
    One argument I've read is that the largest and most expensive homes are going to be most frequently used as guild halls for people pooling their money. Bah! What kind of guild wants a guild hall where you can't even access the guild bank? Can't access the guild trader listing? A place with a merchant that can't even repair armor?
    People are talking about having “auctions” in the manors. How are the leaders going to bank all those bids?

Note on prices: It's not about “having the money”. I can't justify spending 3 million gold on a house when I still need to port to city to access a guild bank, list items for sale, repair armor, etc. There is a big difference between 3 million for a useful, time saving central hub and useless pretty view.

6) Can't Sell Old/Unwanted Real Estate
    I think both new and veteran players would be interested in the option of getting some kind of credit for unwanted housing instead of simply gathering more and more properties. I would think a newer player with 500k in the bank would be more likely to buy several houses and upgrade along the way if they could get some type of credit. Otherwise, I know at least some will simply ignore the feature completely until they save up enough money for their top choice. But this is bad for Zos also, because what happens if they lose interest in ESO between now and then. Zos should want to engage players at all ranges.

7) More Inventory Nightmares
    The last patch made most of the items in the game bound and created an inventory nightmare for many players. Now they are adding 2000+ more items into the game. Dealing with space is a huge problem.

8) Cannot Port From Cyrodiil Wayshrines
    I don't expect to be able to port from anywhere in Cyrodiil, but the actual Wayshrine you use to leave PvP will not let you port to your home. So, you still have to port to a city first. This is such a HUGE PIA. This is exactly what I mean by "obvious" functionality flaws. It's not very convenient to port to a city on the way to home to decon items when I can decon/sell/repair in the "stopover" city.

9) Item Limitations Should Not Be Tied to Home Size Only
    Not only is this a big frustration, but it's also lost revenue for Zos. They miss so many opportunities.
    I'm fine with having a base item cap that corresponds to the size of the home, but there should be ways to upgrade that cap with in-game gold or crowns...or both. Some players prefer a more cluttered look for roleplaying reasons or some people have elaborate plans for landscaping, etc.

10) Hardly Any 'Found Items' Are Furnishings
    I heard a rumor long ago that the stolen items introduced with the Legerdemain skill line would one day be useful for more than fencing, that they would be items we could use to furnish our homes. Pillows, games, paintings, dice, etc. etc.
    Sadly, I've found no stolen items on the PTS that are actual furnishings. Even paintings can't be used as...paintings. Part of me thinks this is just a sad missed "obvious opportunity" and another part of me thinks Zos ACTIVELY REMOVED this feature from these items because they realized it might give someone an alternative to the massive gold sink and crown store push for a few furnishings.

11) Massive Gold Sink and Crown Store Push
    It's just TOO MUCH. I want Zos to make money. I really do. ESO is great. It deserves to make money and I want to pay them, but this is a bridge too far. We've been playing for almost 3 years with almost nothing to buy, and now suddenly things cost so much that the vast majority of players couldn't buy if they had been saving for the whole 3 years! So, if I've blown all my gold for 3 years am I now to grind until 2020 for things that make me exited about housing today?
    I think Zos is making a big bet on player enthusiasm maintaining a grind that I think is going to be enthusiasm CRUSHING. The actual costs of these houses are just the tip of the iceberg, which would be okay if either upfront cost OR the grind gave us additional functionality. Can't repair. Can't list items on a trader. Can't access the guild bank. Can't. Can't. Can't.
    Meanwhile, it feels like functionality has been artificially removed from the game for profit. While we are grinding to make a 100k wine goblet, you will steal and fence 3 of them for 200g each.
    I love this game. I love this update. I love the house I've picked out. But I'm very depressed at how much better this could be than it actually is.
    I can't emphasize this enough. I have some plenty of in-game gold and plenty of crowns to start on the housing adventure, but I won't be buying ANY home when things go live until I truly understand the associated gold sink. If filling my house with items is more expensive and tedious than I can bare, then I'm not interested.

FINAL NOTE: Zos, I believe Homestead offers and opportunity for you to BOTH make tons of money AND make your players love the game for years to come. To take advantage of this opportunity I feel you MUST bring 1 of the 3 following variables more into balance. PRICE. FUNCTIONALITY. GRIND.
    High prices with high functionality is okay. Grinding for things when they are functional is okay. If you would prefer to keep things less functional for some reason, then you must reduce the prices and grinds, or you will squander this opportunity imho.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/313666/11-obvious-flaws-and-11-easy-fixes-housing/p1

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    TIP: If you're using the ESO Master Recipe List mod, disable it or you'll get housing UI errors.

I've just got my free room via questing and I must say I've never seen a personal space in a game so small.  It's more like a prison cell.  No windows.  Just four walls and a door.  Oh, and one candle on the floor for a light.  Working on placing the furniture I got and will see how that goes.  

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I've just got my free room via questing and I must say I've never seen a personal space in a game so small.  It's more like a prison cell.  No windows.  Just four walls and a door.  Oh, and one candle on the floor for a light.  Working on placing the furniture I got and will see how that goes.  
    Yeah. "Tiny" doesn't begin to describe it lol. I only bought a cheap stool to place in it since you need to get at least one thing to complete the quest.

But I have to say that I do like the placement editor. It let's you do just about anything. I placed my one stool upside down on the ceiling and it stays there... it's magic! :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

TIP: If you're using the ESO Master Recipe List mod, disable it or you'll get housing UI errors.
    There are several mods that are struggling with this update. The one that gives you extra tabs in your inventory for sorting things, Itemization Browser, makes all housing vendor items invisible.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

I agree the placement editor is pretty easy to use and works great.  I have books floating next to a wall and a candle floating next to another wall.  :-)

Apparently you can only place up to 10 items in your room.  Subscribers get double.  A message popped up telling me if I want to place more stuff then buy a bigger house.  Now I'm starting to remember why I don't play this game that much.

Not a bad start for housing, at least you can actually look around the other properties before you decide to buy and purchase them either unfurnished or furnished if you want.  

I agree the placement editor is pretty easy to use and works great.  I have books floating next to a wall and a candle floating next to another wall.  :-) 
    Did you press 'T' to lock items to a surface instead of allowing them to float when placing?
    Apparently you can only place up to 10 items in your room.  Subscribers get double.  A message popped up telling me if I want to place more stuff then buy a bigger house.  Now I'm starting to remember why I don't play this game that much.
    Small houses are cheap and with sub you get a 200 item limit. If you spend the extra 1000 crowns for afurnished version, you get 80 items in your house to start playing with.

edited February 2017
    Iselin said:
    Yeah. "Tiny" doesn't begin to describe it lol. I only bought a cheap stool to place in it since you need to get at least one thing to complete the quest.

But I have to say that I do like the placement editor. It let's you do just about anything. I placed my one stool upside down on the ceiling and it stays there... it's magic! :)
    My plan is to decorate one of my houses with furniture only on the walls and ceiling to give it that Escher feeling. I may "wallpaper" the ceiling with sweetrolls instead.

Did you press 'T' to lock items to a surface instead of allowing them to float when placing?

I actually like the floating books and candle.  Reminds me of Rift which has floating items you can place around your starter house.

Iselin said:

My plan is to decorate one of my houses with furniture only on the walls and ceiling to give it that Escher feeling. I may "wallpaper" the ceiling with sweetrolls instead.
    You're a nice person. My first thought was "Hmm... I can put mirror on the ceiling over the bed" :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    edited February 2017
    On PC - if you run into any weirdness with anything, skills, w/e, reload your UI first see if that fixes.  If you want to use addons get Minion and set for auto update and keep it running (minus to system tray).  Also there are addons to help with lag:  Shissua's and Votan's.  Shissua you should use if you are running high lua using addons like Master Merchant and AwesomeGuildStore.  You can enable and disable addons easily from on your character does not hurt anything.  Reload UI when do. 

It will be a few days for all this to sort out but I am proud of ZoS developers and addon creators for so much work to make this housing update great.

AdvancedFilters is nice to have.

• TarbloodTarblood Member UncommonPosts: 98
    150$ for a house... in a game that only adds functionality to crafters who are also only lucky if they get master writs and then get the tokens to buy the crafting stations.

Yeah, think I'm done with Zenimax. WAY to greedy for me.

Signing off the boat

-The whale

RAWR

edited February 2017
    Tarblood said:
    150$ for a house... in a game that only adds functionality to crafters who are also only lucky if they get master writs and then get the tokens to buy the crafting stations.

Yeah, think I'm done with Zenimax. WAY to greedy for me.

Signing off the boat

-The whale
    The most expensive house in the game is only 12,000 crowns. That's not even close to $150.

You sound like someone who wants the biggest and the best right out of the gate and doesn't want to work for anything. Now you're butt-hurt about it. Entitlement, pure and simple.

Later...

Oh, and....can I have your stuff?