Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE to release in 2019?

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
Just a note... looks like CoE could actually be a 2019 launch based on the info below. They still have to launch the Kingdoms Game and the Mud Game.  Then after that it's 12-15 months.  Then Exposition runs for 3 months.  Then finally, if all goes well... launch.

Assume best case scenarios.  Domain selection in March.  Kingdoms in April. Mud in May.  Then 12 months development (minimum listed). Then 3 months Exposition puts us at Aug/Sep 2018.  Given their inability to hit ANY date so far...  from my perspective CoE now looks like its 2 years away and a 2019 possible release

Does anyone have newer information that can update/change the timeline above?

Maybe Tim can get some feedback from Caspien for his next CoE article.   I think most folks are under the impression that they were still targeting Sep/Oct this year for the Exposition(3 month no wipe head start).  As far as I can tell the delay from the Kickstarter ETA was only leaked out in this random forum post.  If there is a Dev Journal or some other official update please link!

On one hand that's good because its a MUCH more reasonable timeline... but they really should have made an official announcement if they are not going to hit their Kickstarter ETA (especially if it's such a huge delay).  No wonder they are looking for added funding.  An extra year+ of development is expensive!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Seems like a reasonable assumption

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Should be less focused on a release date and be hopefully that it even gets close to release with how things are going atm.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    I hope for a 2019/2020 release. That way they can polish it more and making it even better. Rushed products (No Mans Sky, Landmark..ect) are examples of "Let's get this released so we can make money fast" failures.
    I don't think CoE will go that route. I have high hopes and confidence in them.
    We'll see. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2017
    Since they are relying on gamer's money,it likely will be rushed but very small team and not sure how much money they have so it could support itself awhile i guess.
    I said it many times before though....You cannot properly make a game based on a phantom income,you just cannot.Trying to wing it as money comes in,well you get a sloppy game.

Dev: "OK to make this work we need to build these features.....Oh wait we don't know if we can afford to build those features ...ok next idea".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Further down in the same thread pictured, someone else brought up basically the same point and Caspian addressed it.

"Don't read too much into the 12-15 month statement. That was a number I threw out to indicate there's a large lapse in time between KoE and Exposition and isn't based on a specific calculation."

Source:
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/12132/ip-spending-your-plans?page=2#post125770

I'm not saying I think you're wrong @Slapshot1188 about them not meeting the original KS date. However, to jump to that conclusion based off of this post and then ask them to make an official announcement of the new date, I don't think is fair.

I think it is too early for them to talk anymore about release dates. Every time they do announce a date (even just the website updates) it gets them into trouble.

--------------------------------------------
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    2020, not before.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Further down in the same thread pictured, someone else brought up basically the same point and Caspian addressed it.

"Don't read too much into the 12-15 month statement. That was a number I threw out to indicate there's a large lapse in time between KoE and Exposition and isn't based on a specific calculation."

Source:
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/12132/ip-spending-your-plans?page=2#post125770

I'm not saying I think you're wrong @Slapshot1188 about them not meeting the original KS date. However, to jump to that conclusion based off of this post and then ask them to make an official announcement of the new date, I don't think is fair.

I think it is too early for them to talk anymore about release dates. Every time they do announce a date (even just the website updates) it gets them into trouble.

Umm...  the only way to hit 2017 is if that 12-15 months is turned into a zero.   Right now as far as I know, the Kickstarter folks still haven't been advised of this new timeline.  When your new timeline is going to miss your ETA by a YEAR of more I think that should merit more than a random forum post.

Like I said, maybe Tim can get a clarification for his next column.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• CostaniusCostanius Member UncommonPosts: 231
    But who cares if it is 2019 or 2020? Delays in MMO development are the norm, not the exception and every experienced MMO player can see and know for himself that their original timeline is highly unrealistic! It is just an estimate anyway.
    So what? I don't care about the time they need. I hope for a fresh wind in the MMO-Sandbox-genre and I hope they can develop what they plan in their design journals. Well worth the wait if we'll see some new innovative MMO!

-----------------------------------
    Life is too short to play bad games.

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Q2 2020
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Costanius said:
    But who cares if it is 2019 or 2020? Delays in MMO development are the norm, not the exception and every experienced MMO player can see and know for himself that their original timeline is highly unrealistic! It is just an estimate anyway.
    So what? I don't care about the time they need. I hope for a fresh wind in the MMO-Sandbox-genre and I hope they can develop what they plan in their design journals. Well worth the wait if we'll see some new innovative MMO!

It's about credibility.  When you have never shipped a game and are collecting millions of dollars on your promises... all you have is your word.  If you really think something is going to take 18 months and instead it takes 30... it's not just bad because it disappoints fans.  It's bad because all that extra time costs money...

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Costanius said:

It's about credibility.  When you have never shipped a game and are collecting millions of dollars on your promises... all you have is your word.  If you really think something is going to take 18 months and instead it takes 30... it's not just bad because it disappoints fans.  It's bad because all that extra time costs money...
    Not to mention these guys probably already tack on a year to what they think is 'reasonable'. However with this one its unlikely. This one was auto hype train from jump street and this cite was completely complicate in it.

I dont think it ever releases or if it does it will be some generic mini map like every other game comes up with just  to release something as not to get sued.
  • VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Costanius said:

Their credibility will suffer more if they quickly deliver a game that is 80% stripped down, than if they delay release by a year+ but the majority of their features are in tact.

Caspian has stated they are continuing to pursue funding and have already been reached out to by some major as-of-yet undisclosed investor, so my take on it is they know they will need to extend the release date and are taking the appropriate measures to make that happen. 

All but the most naive of us already knew that a 2017 release was not going to happen even before Kickstarter, so this isn't all too alarming a conclusion in any case.
  • genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112
    edited February 2017
    Vucar said:
    Their credibility will suffer more if they quickly deliver a game that is 80% stripped down, than if they delay release by a year+ but the majority of their features are in tact.

Caspian has stated they are continuing to pursue funding and have already been reached out to by some major as-of-yet undisclosed investor, so my take on it is they know they will need to extend the release date and are taking the appropriate measures to make that happen. 

All but the most naive of us already knew that a 2017 release was not going to happen even before Kickstarter, so this isn't all too alarming a conclusion in any case.

1. Their credibility with gamers matters with how release goes. Their credibility with potential investors matters based on everything they do up until that point. Making terrible estimates on milestone dates is an indication they don't know what they are doing, which is a bad sign to investors, and if investors do sign up they will probably exert a lot of influence in exchange for their capital in order to protect said investment.

2. Continuing to pursue funding? See #1, and also realize that the Pathfinder Online team said all the same shit about pursuing funding and undisclosed investors being very close to deals - they went on about that s$%^ for almost 2 years, turned into absolutely nothing.

3. All but the most naive knew 2017 wasn't going to happen? Then why did Caspian use that? Either he is a f$%^& moron and his fans know more about software development, or he knows a lot of about software development but s$% about fundraising and managing expectations. 

3.a. Both skill sets are necessary for somebody who is trying to lead a successful MMORPG development project.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Slapshot you are ever the optimist!
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Vucar said:
    The part you are missing is that it is due delays you get "a game that is 80% stripped down"...
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    No major new investor, no release, it is a simple as that. All the money ever spent on this title was to make a tech demo. So right now, the projected release date is: never.
    Burntvet said:
    No major new investor, no release, it is a simple as that. All the money ever spent on this title was to make a tech demo. So right now, the projected release date is: never.
    So the same thing Chris Robert\s did,,hmm quite possible.Funny thing is Chris was called out for that of course by a former employee so people shot that notion down based on lack of credibility by a fired employee.Me personally ,i saw NOTHING and when i did see something it was like 2-3 people could pull if off in a weekend.So i firmly believed he was playing mr.hollywood director both in studio and with his wife and using donated money to do it.

So far all we have seen from this game is pretty much the same...nothing.Just some pictures and concepts,so yeah i could believe the notion that this was simply to build a tech demo to try and sell it to an investor as well as show some promising interest via web clicks.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited March 2017
    I notice all the little things ...lol

I noticed an early poster who showed a lot of interest who seemed odd because i had never seen that poster before has completely disappeared since.Maybe i or we scared the poster off idk but now seems like perhaps was only here for the initial sell job.Might have even been an employee sent here to fake some interest in the game..idk just seemed odd.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    edited March 2017
    Wizardry said:
    Burntvet said:
    So the same thing Chris Robert\s did,,hmm quite possible.Funny thing is Chris was called out for that of course by a former employee so people shot that notion down based on lack of credibility by a fired employee.Me personally ,i saw NOTHING and when i did see something it was like 2-3 people could pull if off in a weekend.So i firmly believed he was playing mr.hollywood director both in studio and with his wife and using donated money to do it.

So far all we have seen from this game is pretty much the same...nothing.Just some pictures and concepts,so yeah i could believe the notion that this was simply to build a tech demo to try and sell it to an investor as well as show some promising interest via web clicks.
    Without taking a position on SC and the fact that it may or may not be a "scam", the money being "donated" was for the purposes of making the actual game (in its various incarnations). The money being raised for CoE was ALWAYS for a tech demo, although the KS was not very clear on that point. And without additional MAJOR funding, the game will never exist. The devs have subsequently admitted this a number of times. That is the difference.
    Post edited by Burntvet on
  • genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Burntvet said:
    Wizardry said:
    Without taking a position on SC and the fact that it may or may not be a "scam", the money being "donated" was for the purposes of making the actual game (in its various incarnations). The money being raised for CoE was ALWAYS for a tech demo, although the KS was not very clear on that point. And without additional MAJOR funding, the game will never exist. The devs have subsequently admitted this a number of times. That is the difference.

Not very clear on that point. It's funny how you phrase that so that it doesn't appear to be what it actually was, which is a "bait and switch". Also funny is it is exactly the same thing Pathfinder Online did, they had a kickstarter but it was "only for the tech demo" they said later, and so did another kickstarter again for the "real" game because they ran out of money. And then they ran out of money again and the game is now dead.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited March 2017
    They should really push their YouTube channel more.  It has a lot of updated info on it.  I've subscribed to the channel, now I should pickup regular updates from them.  

Dungeon speed run: Published on Mar 7, 2017
    Speed Run: PAX East 2017 Demo (Pre-Alpha Build)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I think if we institute a new calendar system, starting with year 1 as 2001, that might be the only way we see some of these games-in-progress by 2019.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.