Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mouse + Keyboard Controversy & 23k Accounts Banned - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited February 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMouse + Keyboard Controversy & 23k Accounts Banned - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

Overwatch News - The Overwatch team has weighed in on the ongoing controversy about console players using converters to attach mouse and keyboard setups to XBox One and PS4, neither of which natively supports this type of configuration. According to Jeff Kaplan, game director of Overwatch, this gives a signigicant advantage over those who use controllers.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    not a surprise, people do what ever they can to get an advantage on others from M/K to flat out hacking. BF1 on there had a dude flying around the map on a torpedo boat and he would kill the entire enemy team with a single shot. The problem is there is no real punishment for hacking/cheating other then having to spend extra money. most who do this have said income to spend.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    We would argue about this subject a lot when i was playing on PS4 with friends. A lot of people claimed it was fair and Blizzard approved of their use, but i guess now we have a defenitive answer.
    The title of this post is a little misleading though, they didnt have their accounts banned for the use of mouse and keyboard attatchments, it was something seperate entirely.
    I'd also add that many sites selling keyboard and mouse attatchments also offer guarantee's that they can not be detected by developers. So unless Playstation work with Blizzard on this, i dont see how they will ever combat it.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited February 2017
    "Significant advantage" or may be signigicant advantage I presume means that so the mouse and keyboard is superior to the controller then  come on admit it. Why not just allow the mouse and keyboard on the console natively and stop the pain.

• MugiMugiMugiMugi Member UncommonPosts: 18
    MugiMugi said:
    Yes but this can be detected by Blizzard. If you look at non playstation made keyboards they use emulators.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited February 2017
    MugiMugi said:
    yeah even ps2 used keyb for some games (EQOA for example)

in ps4 u can use keyb mouse on some games Destiny , FFXIV , ect

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    And the age long argument over M/KB vs Controller comes to an end.. not with bang but a whimper

This have been a good conversation

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    lol
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited February 2017
    While they're at it, they should petition to ban people from playing Fighting games that use a $500 joystick arcade setup.

Oh wait.

That would be stupid.

Honestly, I don't own Overwatch and not even their holiday says interested me in getting it.  But people using a native feature (speaking of Playstation hardware, at least) should not have to be labeled as "bad guys" just because they have a specific way of playing.

This is just like admitting that consoles are a flawed system -- an insult to console players.  Some can only afford consoles versus a computer that can play games on ultra and in high resolution, along with expensive monitors among other things.

I will not be told how to legitimately play my games if a feature is supported by the console manufacturer.  What's next?  Are they going to try to disallow controllers to be used on PCs just because a specific genre is better for it?

Good luck with that.  People make their own computers nowadays.  So you'll have to ask each individual nicely.  That or have even Dell (lol dell) laugh in your face about further handicapping their products versus their competitors.

This is nothing but posturing.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    kitarad said:
    "Significant advantage" or may be signigicant advantage I presume means that so the mouse and keyboard is superior to the controller then  come on admit it. Why not just allow the mouse and keyboard on the console natively and stop the pain.
    I beta tested a a game from Microsoft, one if their first from the 'Games for Windows' initiative.  It was called Shadow somethingoranother.  It was the first cross platform game that I knew of, between Windows and the original Xbox.  I was playing on PC, and we were TRASHING the Xbox players.  They did not stand a chance.  The superiority of KB/M over a controller was so obvious.  However, since MS was trying to build its Xbox audience they kowtow'd to them.  They put a delay on mouse reactions!  But the delay only kicked in if the server was dual platform... so basically you needed to learn two ways to play on PC.

But the worse part of it was the trash talk from the Xbox players once they started winning.  Once they started talking shit, and MS refused to get rid of the delay, most PC players quit.

I am quite sure that this game, whatever it was called, was the source of console players saying a controller was better than KB/M, and it was only after a brutal nerf that made the game almost unplayable for PC gamers.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Kunai_Vax said:
    We would argue about this subject a lot when i was playing on PS4 with friends. A lot of people claimed it was fair and Blizzard approved of their use, but i guess now we have a defenitive answer.
    The title of this post is a little misleading though, they didnt have their accounts banned for the use of mouse and keyboard attatchments, it was something seperate entirely.
    I'd also add that many sites selling keyboard and mouse attatchments also offer guarantee's that they can not be detected by developers. So unless Playstation work with Blizzard on this, i dont see how they will ever combat it.
    The title of the article is clear if you read the entire post. These are two separate things. The bans happened due to Korean internet cafes and the rampant installation of third party software. 

The mouse / keyboard thing is something else entirely.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    DMKano said:
    They should ban people who have much better reflexes and exceptional hand/eye coordination (turns out some people are just much better at it do to genetics) - because its an unfair advantage.

Fast forward into the future when medical nano/cyebertech will allow body upgrades - or even better people can bypass keyboard/mouse for direct brain control.... heh is that cheating?
    Deus Ex ;)
    SBFord said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    The title of the article is clear if you read the entire post. These are two separate things. The bans happened due to Korean internet cafes and the rampant installation of third party software. 

I already said that !  O.o

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I'm a keyboard/Mouse guy and have old man fingers that can't work a controller.  I never understood the problem of allowing both.  If a person chooses to use a controller instead of keyboard/mouse, then he knows he's at a disadvantage.

I would contend that as much comes to skill at the game as there is in the interface.  I'm willing to bet that there are one or two.... maybe less than can beat my keyboard with their silly controllers.  What about the people like me who use a regular  keyboard vs. those ppl who have the keyboards that you can program to do everything for you while you eat your sammich?

I self identify as a monkey.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Well I have a converter on my xbox for mouse/keyboard because I am a real klutz when it comes to using a controller.  I don't play Overwatch on the xbox though, but if I did play it on that system it would not be with the controller.  When I do play multiplayer games on the xbox I do not feel bad about using the mouse giving me an advantage because using a controller would give them a huge advantage.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    This is why I don't even own a console anymore, they kept promising kb and m , but they never delivered.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well i clicked that link and it says absolutely NOTHING other than they do not approve.

It more or less is blaming the manufacturer's for allowing this kind of support.Oh yes Blizzard,perhaps Kaplan should LEARN a thing or two about support rather than ban it.

He is saying ALL or NONE,well what is it exactly he is not happy with,if it was ALL then what,it would be EXACTLY like right now,some using controllers and some using kb/mouse,how would it change anything?

So it sounds more like Kaplan is trying to shift the blame to elsewhere when it is HE and his cohorts that are causing the strife.

When i hear something come from this Kaplan dude that actually makes sense,i will take notice but this makes zero sense because of what i explained,there would still be a mixed bag of users using BOTH.

Even better yet,does this Kaplan dude have ANY proof at all that there is an advantage,did he provide the proof,did he even mention any such proof exists or is he merely making some fabricated claim?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

Kunai_Vax said:

MugiMugi said:

Yes but this can be detected by Blizzard. If you look at non playstation made keyboards they use emulators.

why would someone buy the Official Mouse and Keyboard made by Playstation if they cannot use them in their games ? I realy doubt Playstation would sell said production then restrict its use on the games they are selling.
  • RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

SBFord said:

Kunai_Vax said:

The title is clear missguidance I am sry but this looks like a title from CNN
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Imagine that, Blizzard sucking the fun out of their games.
    TheScavenger
    edited February 2017
    Ringside said:

why would someone buy the Official Mouse and Keyboard made by Playstation if they cannot use them in their games ? I realy doubt Playstation would sell said production then restrict its use on the games they are selling.
    This was a debate we had over and over when i was playing Overwatch. Playstation dont restrict anything, but Blizzard did not make Overwatch natively support this type of configuration and wording they used on tweets and updates implied they considered their use as an exploit.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    LmAo..i missed the part about LAN gaming.
    I am sorry but i just find it really difficult to simply take one sides word for it.

He says it was for cheating and third party software but then immediately goes into talking about cafes and the ability to play without paying for the game.Basically this means the cafe could buy 5/10/20 copies but 20k players could play on those copies.
    Then he goes on to talk about he "possibility or lack of deterrent from cheating.

Here is why i do NOT believe it is actually for cheating but more so they are worried people are playing for free.If it was for CHEATING then why is it ALL Korean accounts,are we saying Blizzard has not caught anyone else except 22k Korean cheats or using 3rd party software?

I can tell you right now for FACT there are MANY players using third party software in Wow and Diablo and have been for years.So since those people continue to cheat easily everyday and any day,is it really the cheating and third party software Blizzard is targeting,i do not think so.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

MugiMugi said:

Yeah I, nor anyone with any sense, is paying $150 for that monstrosity when you can get a Keymander for around $60 like I did or get a better version like Xim for a little more and use your own K/M.

On-topic: So it's official now. About time. I do agree that native K/M support should be built in to all consoles. Get on it Blizzard! You have the power to make it happen!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited February 2017
    As someone who doesn't even like Overwatch and barely even uses his PS4, I have to call this pure idiocy. Mouse and keyboard is so much more efficient that it should be encouraged and made native and affordable to the consoles, not banned.

Controllers are for relaxed casual play of PvE content - not competitive play.
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Ringside said:

This was a debate we had over and over when i was playing Overwatch. Playstation dont restrict anything, but Blizzard did not make Overwatch natively support this type of configuration and wording they used on tweets and updates implied they considered their use as an exploit.

Not accommodating for official hardware is an oversight of development.  Even if it didn't exist, new peripherals could be introduced at a later date.  This is an issue they should have recognized and planned around during the early stages of design.  

I wouldn't be so matter of fact if this were a smaller team. Unfortunately, this is Blizzard, a company who can spend millions studying what makes a gamer tick.  They aren't the victim, they're the aggressor.