Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - How to pick your class

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
edited February 2017 in Guild Wars 2
Nice video from a mmo tuber that I check out from time to time. Made me try the game again and so far I am having fun.

Went with the ranger class. =)

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Good choice, the ranger is probably the easiest class to get into the game with. As long as you learn how to control your pet of course ;).
  • BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Should've played ARK instead.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Loke666 said:
    Good choice, the ranger is probably the easiest class to get into the game with. As long as you learn how to control your pet of course ;).

Really like the dps I am getting from the long bow. My pet bear is tanking everything. 

At what level can I pvp? 
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Recore said:
    Loke666 said:

Really like the dps I am getting from the long bow. My pet bear is tanking everything. 

At what level can I pvp? 
    You should have a loby button (top left of your screen) that teleports you to the PVP instance. You are scaled up to max level, so technically you can just right into pvp as soon as you make a char. 

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I think you can pvp from level 1.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Recore said:
    Loke666 said:
    At what level can I pvp? 
    Personally I use the shortbow more nowadays. The bear is a good pet, my main pet is a wolf though (yeah, that one is a bit riskier to get since you only find it in the main PvP zone, if you are willing to die a few times you will get it already at current level). I also use a sword+knife 

Depends, you can already do 5 Vs 5 PvP well. The WvW PvP do work but only if you stay in a larger group, you basically don't want to go 1 Vs 1 with an 80 before you are close at least. You can still beat an an 80 with a low level character but only if the 80 have no clue how to play.

But, hey. Jump into it and stick with a commander in the beginning, you will certainly be able to make a difference and get some XP while you are at it.

If you like PvP I see no reason to not start with it early. Of course you will get beaten a lot in 5 Vs 5 until you becomes good but that is because it takes some time to learn the ropes.
  • ShyGamerGirlShyGamerGirl Member CommonPosts: 3
    I think that Mesmer is great for newbies.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    edited February 2017
    I think that Mesmer is great for masochist.
    Fixed that for you!

Recore said:
    Loke666 said:

At what level can I pvp? 
    I suggest you to drop the longbow and use shortbow instead, pick gears that will raise your condition damage + precision, use axe/torch for secondary/swap weapon, then googling where to catch a lynx/eagle. Longbow + bear pet is the most boring setup in every classes setup that I've ever tried, as it makes you to be stationary most of the time.

As for PvP, I suggest to level your character to 80 without the experience books (forget the name) so you can know better ins and outs of your setup (how many condi cleansing should I bring, stunbreak, etc, etc). Then you can consider yourself to do full-time PvP.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Yeah, experience is important. I took my insta-leveled 80 thief into wvw and got wiped by another experienced thief as I was just spamming skills. Thief is a tough class to master, I think. 

Easy classes I found are LB/Bear ranger, but can be boring. Also necro is pretty easy.

d_20 said:
    Yeah, experience is important. I took my insta-leveled 80 thief into wvw and got wiped by another experienced thief as I was just spamming skills. Thief is a tough class to master, I think. 

Easy classes I found are LB/Bear ranger, but can be boring. Also necro is pretty easy.
    Thief is arguably harder to master, but when you do master it, you can outsustain a warrior/guardian through your dodge + vigor regeneration.

The bad aspect about thief is it will bring next to nothing of party support.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    usually you want to look around and make sure no one is looking, then do a test run with your non dominant pointer finger, that typically all the further a sane person makes it before they realize it's time to wash their hands.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Ranger and Necro are easy to play.  It's fun collecting Ranger pets all over the place.  Necro with pets for leveling is nice.  Mobs fight your pet giving you a change to regroup if you get in over your head, and Necro has shroud which is a second health bar.  

I like the game because if you've been gone for a while it's easy to jump in and play.  I came back to ESO and had to do homework to find a good build by finding what skills had been nerfed and buffed, which took a while.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Some classes are obviously easier to grasp than others.  Ranger and Necro are arguably the easiest in PvE as they have plenty of pets.  Mesmer also somewhat has pets, but their DPS rotations can get tricky as the pets won't stay out indefinitely.

I think almost any class can have a strong PvE spec,  but once you get into PvP the learning curve shoots up considerably.  I'd say get as comfortable as you can with PvE and maybe a few dungeons so you don't get too discouraged.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    edited February 2017
    Some classes are obviously easier to grasp than others.  Ranger and Necro are arguably the easiest in PvE as they have plenty of pets.  Mesmer also somewhat has pets, but their DPS rotations can get tricky as the pets won't stay out indefinitely.

I think almost any class can have a strong PvE spec,  but once you get into PvP the learning curve shoots up considerably.  I'd say get as comfortable as you can with PvE and maybe a few dungeons so you don't get too discouraged.
    The learning curve shoots up in PvE as well if you intend to do raids. You need to do be somewhat expert in your own rotations, as a lot of the bosses are DPS checks. And those that aren't require some good positioning. And you are still somewhat timegated. So it's very fast paced contrary to the previous pve content. Especially if you are undergeared
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I would not call Necro easy to play I found the class controls clumsy . I suppose with time you get them sorted out but not newbie friendly and neither is Mesmer a newbie friendly class although very rewarding once you get the rotations in hand. Ranger is definitely a great class .

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Im enjoying my Asura engineer. He just looks cool and doesnt really play like any class i've had before.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    He has some really nice armour on his characters.
    Chamber of Chains
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Ok, to get better gear should I buy from the Heart NPCs or Auction House?

Also is crafting a good way to make money and get good gear?
    Recore said:
    Ok, to get better gear should I buy from the Heart NPCs or Auction House?

Also is crafting a good way to make money and get good gear?
    Karma gear should be enough to 80, only touch AH when you wanna do some serious instanced pve like T2 and above fractals (but even this is not mandatory, as people will respect you more when you can timing your dodges accurately rather than wearing ascended gears but suck at dodging).

And no, crafting right now serves as mats sink and achievement grind, you almost can't make any profit from crafting. Only do it when you wanna make your own 80 exotics and above, unless you got full stack of mats that you can throw away.