Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where are the first impressions or reviews?

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
Normally when a new game launches, within a few days (if not hours) there are some folks sharing their thoughts and experiences on it.

I'm not seeing much of anything so far, which seems atypical.

So if you are actually playing it I'd be interested in hearing your initial thoughts.

One day I intend to play a survival game, but not until a fairly polished one finally makes the scene. (I am aware this is EA)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• JackMackJackMack Member UncommonPosts: 21
    edited February 2017
    If you are looking for a co/op  or quasi MMO  survival you may want to wait to see how the server issues play out over the next few days. Single player is ok...no real bugs, but no real  ground-breaking here either. Single player is fun...for now...most because there really is no hand holding (yet). The first bit is a straight road that opens up into an open area of rivers and ponds that you can just sandbox, I did find a cave with some corruption feature that seems to permanently damage health and stamina, but the Imp mobs kept re spawning so I could not see what if any point there was to this cave, nor if there was a cure to the corruption.  For an EA 2 days out the gate it is actually pretty good for single player, but I have not tried the multiplayer servers yet, and have heard a lot of issues with those, so, maybe give it a few weeks unless you are super into Conan, or just super bored with an extra $30 laying around.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:

One day I intend to play a survival game, but not until a fairly polished one finally makes the scene. (I am aware this is EA)

I'm afraid that day is so far into the future that we'd get a real life version of it rather sooner considering the planet's situation. It would have hell of a polish though. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    My initial impression is that I'm having fun.  It isn't really anything that you haven't seen in other survival MMOs, but I enjoy those, so the flavor is what may turn you to or from Conan.  It's a bit rough as most ppl have said, so those who say wait a bit, aren't too far off.  Some of the things they need to improve are their crafting interfaces, server (Big one), and they need to add a lot of things to give the game more depth.  They are aware of many of these things, and when you log on, they say what they still want to do, so it really is early access with all that means.

If you don't mind growing pains, I'd say give it a try.  If you are the type that stresses with these things, I'd avoid it for now.

I self identify as a monkey.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    If I ever dip my toes into the survival genre, then this would be the game.  However, after reading the reviews on Steam, I'm going to wait quite a while longer.

Besides, I'm neck deep working three jobs right now; the survival genre isn't really time efficient for recreational gaming.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    i am interested to play this game ,love Conan universe & lore,but I ll wait until they done it as final product
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    mgilbrtsn said:
    My initial impression is that I'm having fun.  It isn't really anything that you haven't seen in other survival MMOs, but I enjoy those, so the flavor is what may turn you to or from Conan.  It's a bit rough as most ppl have said, so those who say wait a bit, aren't too far off.  Some of the things they need to improve are their crafting interfaces, server (Big one), and they need to add a lot of things to give the game more depth.  They are aware of many of these things, and when you log on, they say what they still want to do, so it really is early access with all that means.

If you don't mind growing pains, I'd say give it a try.  If you are the type that stresses with these things, I'd avoid it for now.
    This is my take as well, I don't usually rage about having issues so I don't mind EA games (SWG exposed me to bugs enough to desensitize me). The only other Survival title I've played is Life i s Feudal.  WHile I like that game, some of it's systems are a bit too much on the realism side (dragging logs,etc). I like CE's approach a little better, it all clicks as soon as you start playing, making it easier to just jump in and start building. 

CE also just has a better setting for my tastes as a huge Conan fanboi. I'd definitely advise most to just wait a few months at least, as by then the game will hopefully be in better shape in terms of stability and things to do. 

Right now it's just fun to explore and die, and die you will if you venture out into the wild.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    So far for me the only thing I would change is toning down how fast you get hungry and must eat, and how fast food spoils. If life was on the same timer you'd be spending about 100 bucks a day and going to the store every four hours to barely keep from starving to death.

I know it can be turned down in the server menu, but that is only valid if you're running your own server. I also understand, and have experienced, that it gets easier later on, but it is a little rough on first impressions and even when it is easier to obtain food you still have to do it crazy often
    Food options also mean every character will probably be suffering from gout or scurvy by the time the game leaves early access so if you haven't gotten it yet you should probably wait and just pick off the weak after release
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    frostymug said:
    So far for me the only thing I would change is toning down how fast you get hungry and must eat, and how fast food spoils. If life was on the same timer you'd be spending about 100 bucks a day and going to the store every four hours to barely keep from starving to death.

I know it can be turned down in the server menu, but that is only valid if you're running your own server. I also understand, and have experienced, that it gets easier later on, but it is a little rough on first impressions and even when it is easier to obtain food you still have to do it crazy often
    If you invest in survival you won't go through water and food so quickly.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited February 2017
    It sounds like it might be in EA for awhile.  Sometimes EA gets you a better price. . but I find that by waiting for a sale shortly after release (for a game long in EA) I get a better game at the same or lower price.  I have enough survival games to keep me going to a long time.  Love Conan though.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Sovrath said:
    frostymug said:

If you invest in survival you won't go through water and food so quickly.
    Second time through I put my first 3 or 4 points into survival. Went better. Still think it needs to be tweaked just a tad, but it's EA so I'm not complaining. Or turn down spoil rate so you can save a little for later after a hunt.

Having fun even when I have to go shopping every few hours.
    Kyleran said:
    Normally when a new game launches, within a few days (if not hours) there are some folks sharing their thoughts and experiences on it.

So if you are actually playing it I'd be interested in hearing your initial thoughts.

Well, I have 8 hours in and I'm enjoying myself. We took off the "lose your stuff on death" and that made the game more palatable.

Especially because combat is a bit wonky at the moment. Cool thing is one of our people discovered a stone under water that gave some back story on the world. Had he not been diving he would never have found it.

At the moment I'm enjoying leveling slowly and building (as one of our people said) "Sov's mansion on a hill".

There are definitely thing to discover but your mileage may vary if you are not an explorer.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• KenrichKenrich Member UncommonPosts: 127
    The Hive leader did one on this site check it out  :o
    o.O

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    One of the best survival games I've played. The art style/world look great, giving the whole experience an authentic feel to it. They also add storytelling into the mix through collectables and voiced NPCs, which is something I have not seen in a survival game before (and something that works great). There is nice focus on roleplay elements, with a good selection of furniture, social features and guilds. The world design is quite interesting, with a nice variety of areas to explore. Graphically, the game is probably at the top, with brilliant light reflections and dynamic physics.

It's extremely buggy at the moment. I am not one to complain about bugs, but this release is incredibly unstable. The servers are laggy, databases get corrupt frequently and there is no Linux server support. And by laggy I don't mean slightly annoying - it's straight up unplayable. Animals don't realise you are hitting them by the time they are dead. Crafting tables can't keep track of the ingredients. Inventories don't get synced up properly.

Bugs aside, monster AI still needs a lot of work. Combat is quite simple and without an increase in XP rates, the game can be quite grindy in the mid-game.

Overall, I love the game. That said, it's mainly because of the potential, not necessarily because of the current state. I'd give it a few months.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Actually now a days with Twitch TV so popular,there is no need for bias reviews,just go watch the plethora of streams.
    The last one i started to watch was an Asian chick "yesterday" and it was lagging so bad and rubber banding every 1-3 seconds i gave up watching and looked like she was frustrated ready to give up.

Aside from the obvious that everyone by now knows,it looks same old but with the silliness of people and the nudity.There was another streamer and she was like "ok nudity is on,now i'll get more viewers"  ..sigh.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    how does multiplayer work

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Well it's had a lot of players way more then they anticipated.  The server company they teamed up with was fired because they couldn't handle the 8000+ servers...I wouldn't put much into the "bad" reviews on steam it's mostly funcom haters and ARK fans. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    If you lower your standards enough you may enjoy it.
    Heh, my standards were lowered by old games like SWG ( as well as the MMO scene itself)..... CE works better than some did in a lot of respects at launch, besides at least this time around they know their game shouldn't be called release quality. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    This is the first "survival" game I've played. I really enjoy it. It's simple and easy enough at the start where I never felt overwhelmed or lost.

The servers suck though. All the official servers were capped on players and if you did get in to create and had to log out for dinner or whatever reason, it would be capped the next time you tried to play and you wouldn't get in. It's very laggy, but honestly I could look past that. The first 2 days I had made about 8 characters. The highest level I got to was 17 on an unofficial server, but that character ended up getting deleted (somehow).

I'm pretty happy with the game. I'm going to take a break on it for a bit but I'll give it another go in a month or 2 when I start to read about more stability.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is not about  standards so much anymore because there are hundreds of thousands of so called game developers now.It is so bad i think if i look over my shoulder,i can see my Goldfish starting up a new game.

So with soooo much competition and choice in every genre,a developer really needs to step it up.
    What i have noticed is that because all genres seem so stale and just clones of clones,people are jumping on every NEW game and just rinse and repeat over and over.

It really baffles me because i would think that any new upstart game would be aiming for something unique rather than compete against hundreds of others.Yet all i see are clones with the odd very small change or gimmick,nothing that ever smells of costly effort just quick implementation.

So having said all i just said,that is why we really should aim a bit more for graphics,since all the games are identical why support a developer spewing out lower quality?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ThaliostThaliost Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I've been playing with some friends so that's always more fun.

Overall, I'm having a lot of fun. There is a lot to level up, items to craft, bases to build, etc. As I am not playing alone, each of us is specializing in different items. I'm focusing on Armor and Interior Decoration for example, where others are specializing in Weapons and in Base Building.

There is some lag, animations aren't the best, semi-bugged crafting system and you there is obviously still a lot missing from the game (loots are uninteresting and generic, etc). But nothing that prevents me from enjoying the game (I only crashed once over the weekend although since yesterday's patch I'm getting an outdated client error and it has become a pain to manage to log in).

In any case, the drive to level up to be able to unlock crafting for more and more stuff, is a great driver in the game.

Also, I can feel more powerful as I level up my skills and improve my damage (I just track it by knowing how many strokes of a weapon I need to kill a mob, which decreases as I level up - yay).

Besides leveling up and base building, the other huge driver of the game is trying to get your religion going as well as capturing thralls (NPCs) which will help defend your base and man your crafting stations.

Exploring and the occasional PvP is also nice.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game a lot and having a great time (although I repeat that I am playing with more people, so it's always more fun). Just by contrast, I hated the Rust building system.

Immortals [EU] - Darkfall Clan: http://immortals-online.eu/

Read my "funny" DF1 blog: http://casualdarkfall.blogspot.com

edited February 2017
    Thaliost said:
    I've been playing with some friends so that's always more fun.

Overall, I'm having a lot of fun. There is a lot to level up, items to craft, bases to build, etc. As I am not playing alone, each of us is specializing in different items. I'm focusing on Armor and Interior Decoration for example, where others are specializing in Weapons and in Base Building.

There is some lag, animations aren't the best, semi-bugged crafting system and you there is obviously still a lot missing from the game (loots are uninteresting and generic, etc). But nothing that prevents me from enjoying the game (I only crashed once over the weekend although since yesterday's patch I'm getting an outdated client error and it has become a pain to manage to log in).

In any case, the drive to level up to be able to unlock crafting for more and more stuff, is a great driver in the game.

Also, I can feel more powerful as I level up my skills and improve my damage (I just track it by knowing how many strokes of a weapon I need to kill a mob, which decreases as I level up - yay).

Besides leveling up and base building, the other huge driver of the game is trying to get your religion going as well as capturing thralls (NPCs) which will help defend your base and man your crafting stations.

Exploring and the occasional PvP is also nice.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game a lot and having a great time (although I repeat that I am playing with more people, so it's always more fun). Just by contrast, I hated the Rust building system.
    I'm sort of with you though in truth I'm actually not looking at the xp bar a lot and instead "just playing".

This whole building thing, especially building where I want, is amazing.

There's definitely work to be done, from combat to animations, to rubber banding but if this was the final release of the game I would say "meh, it's flawed" and still keep playing.

I like that there are things to discover. I was heading to see a friend's new building on the east side of the map when I noticed I was being chased by a gator and a hyena. I then saw a cave and ran for it. As I was inside I saw that I was getting something called corruption. And then the animals got me. Kind of wish they would work on that as it feels like Morrowind again with everything just aggroing you.

In any case, I went back to the cave, went deeper and saw some ancient gates deep inside.

and then a gator got me. Having a blast.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    edited February 2017
    Thank you everyone, really great comments and provided good insight inro the state of the game.

I've never played a survival game so have nothing to really compare it to.

I really am waiting for one to "launch" properly but it seems some like Ark or H1Z1 release expansions or new games altogether rather than finish the original title.

In fact it seems like the Ark team is delivering the upcoming DnL title from recent posts I've read.

Funcom always stumbles out of the gate but in the past they've stuck with it and improved their games so I'm hoping they do so here as well.
    Post edited by Kyleran on

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

Well, I have 8 hours in and I'm enjoying myself. We took off the "lose your stuff on death" and that made the game more palatable.

Especially because combat is a bit wonky at the moment. Cool thing is one of our people discovered a stone under water that gave some back story on the world. Had he not been diving he would never have found it.

At the moment I'm enjoying leveling slowly and building (as one of our people said) "Sov's mansion on a hill".

There are definitely thing to discover but your mileage may vary if you are not an explorer.
    Can single players turn off the lose your stuff at death setting?

I realize its a multiplayer game but I wouldn't mind practicing solo to learn the ropes before going head to head.

It would save a lot of redos.

Kenrich said:
    The Hive leader did one on this site check it out  :o
    Thanks, I normally ignore anything titled "Hiveleader" so I'll go back and give it a read.