Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Years Of Google Search Data Yields US Gamer Preference - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Iselin said:
    The top 10 Google searches for 2016... for perspective:

1. Powerball
    2. Prince
    3. Hurricane Matthew
    4. Pokémon Go
    5. Slither.io
    6. Olympics
    7. David Bowie
    8. Trump
    9. Election
    10. Hillary Clinton

There ARE two games there but not WOW or LOL :)
    And today...

1. travel ban
    2. Alessia Cara
    3. Tomi Lahren
    4. Super Bowl 2017 Time
    5. Rob Stewart
    6. Yao Ming
    7. Dress Like a Woman
    8. John Wick: Chapter 2
    9. South Shore Plaza

Proof positive no one cares about video games on Saturdays but cross-dressing is very popular.

#realnews

Later today I shall give you the top searches without the letter 't' in them...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:

1. Powerball
    2. Prince
    3. Hurricane Matthew
    4. Pokémon Go
    5. Slither.io
    6. Olympics
    7. David Bowie
    8. Trump
    9. Election
    10. Hillary Clinton

And today...

1. travel ban
    2. Alessia Cara
    3. Tomi Lahren
    4. Super Bowl 2017 Time
    5. Rob Stewart
    6. Yao Ming
    7. Dress Like a Woman
    9. South Shore Plaza

Proof positive no one cares about video games on Saturdays but cross-dressing is very popular.

#realnews

I think "Dress Like a Woman" is a new F2P browser MMO :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

mgilbrtsn said:

because no one uses bing , yahoo , duckduckgo hotbot or any other search engine ive personally stopped using google for 2 years now, I hve no account / gmail ect.

THis article is fake news.

It's still a valid source and probably the largest one at that.

According to even Alexa Google.com is the most active and visited website! I would venture to guess 90% of people in the US use Google. I know I do.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    NobleNerd said:

mgilbrtsn said:

because no one uses bing , yahoo , duckduckgo hotbot or any other search engine ive personally stopped using google for 2 years now, I hve no account / gmail ect.

It's still a valid source and probably the largest one at that.

According to even Alexa Google.com is the most active and visited website! I would venture to guess 90% of people in the US use Google. I know I do.
    I use DuckDuckGo because life without ads is preferable, but I don't pretend for a second the information is coming from anywhere but Google, Bing, and Yahoo.

• StormsoneStormsone Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Two games I have never played are the most popular games.... popularity is not everything.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

DMKano said:

I am trying to think last time I googled any of the games I play.

Not something I do.

I Google quest titles and many times character names from MMOs to see their history and background. I usually do not Google say: World of Warcraft or RIFT specifically.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Stop with the fake news crap. Google is the largest search engine used in the world. Enough already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It's a marketing website created by : https://www.linkedin.com/in/toby-sembower-56a84621
     official website : http://www.digitalbrands.com/partnerships

Like I said : FAKE NEWS !

That doesn't make it fake news. It's something you think is useless, but something I think is entertaining. Even if your poll wasn't overwhelmingly YES to remove. I'd still leave it, because you're being ridiculous. Go play a game, it'd be much more productive. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    What I'm understanding as long as the article is prominent to ones views, it is ok. THisis epic in understanding media in general. Targeting those who have already surcomed to the poison to try and pass that poison along. mmorpg.com has did just that
    #wakeup
    Is surcomed something like succumb but on meds at Big Sur?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Nope I don't use any of those lol.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
     Love the new avatar Iselin ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

edgelord
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited February 2017
    League OF Legends, should beat wow any day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    laserit said:
     Love the new avatar Iselin ;)
    Actually I miss that awesome ESO archer :(
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Iselin said:

1. Powerball
    2. Prince
    3. Hurricane Matthew
    4. Pokémon Go
    5. Slither.io
    6. Olympics
    7. David Bowie
    8. Trump
    9. Election
    10. Hillary Clinton

And today...

1. travel ban
    2. Alessia Cara
    3. Tomi Lahren
    4. Super Bowl 2017 Time
    5. Rob Stewart
    6. Yao Ming
    7. Dress Like a Woman
    9. South Shore Plaza

#realnews

I bet whenever a new expansion or major update is announced that search engine goes crazy. I would like to see Youtube's research data.  

Instead of Republicans and Democrats there should be WoW's and LoL's parties.  

And who said violent computer games make people hostile and cynical?  :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is just odd that i have seen this very same numbers posted on other sites as well,did Google send out some memos or something.
    I guess news just spreads like a viral disease with the internet now a days.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2017

edit to add !

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Aelious said:

PeZzy said:

Trump voters play WoW?

Apparently they play both ;)

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/Sacredfool/LoLTrumpGif.gif

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Wizardry said:
    It is just odd that i have seen this very same numbers posted on other sites as well,did Google send out some memos or something.
    I guess news just spreads like a viral disease with the internet now a days.
    It was something sent to news tip lines everywhere. It has NOTHING to do with going "viral". 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Tenaka30Tenaka30 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited February 2017
    So few people commenting on the actual feature subject itself.....

On topic, would the majority of WoW searches actually be along the lines of;

"wow where is mankrik's wife" ?

I'd imagine quest help searches are generating hits by the millisecond.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    They listed fallout 4 as an online game... I wish!

• TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    edited February 2017
    Of course WoW is top dog, the new GMs employed to respond to tickets have to google the answers themselves. That is a looot of googling. 
     Apart from that, Blizzard themselves suggests all their players to use google to figure things out in their game.

In that sense I guess a research such as this, could be considered free PR for Blizzard, relatively speaking, depending on the audience.

As an achievement hunter in WoW, you have to google and WoWhead every single little Panda treasure to figure out its hidden location.
     And this is practically the norm when trying to find anything achievement related, that can not really be sorted out, just by asking another player a brief question.

Then you have the cookie builds that everybody googles, the raidencounter strategies that raiders are forced to read up on, preferably also watch several videos of.

And now Legion, maybe Blizz are aware there is PR in research numbers on google, cause Legion have all its secret quests, secret encounters and secret skins. 
       And what for one might wonder?
     All the so secret secrets are right there on google anyway. So what is the point exactly, apart from bringing more WoW PR traffic around on the internet.
    Is it a deliberate design? I cant say, maybe its just a random happening of events.

But as a WoWer, I think there is a difference between causing high internet traffic about a game and the actual game delivering quality.  

Knowing the game from the inside, Id say WoW is just a googlegame, which is why it is also visible on google searches.

And the game is absolutely shining with an amazing community that way, cause if you ask for help, the answer is:

Google it! 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    because no one uses bing , yahoo , duckduckgo hotbot or any other search engine ive personally stopped using google for 2 years now, I hve no account / gmail ect. THis article is fake news.
    I don't use any of those alternate search engines.

In fact, I reset the browser home pages on all of the family's computers to Google.

As for the article itself, who cares if its fake?

Game I don't play beats out another game I don't play somewhere I don't live?

Excuse me but I really don't care, first world problems are low on my list.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon