Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regional Servers Incoming

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
edited February 2017 in Star Citizen

Star Citizen Newsletter - Regional Servers Inbound February 3rd, 2017

Greetings Citizen.

Across all our studios, work on the upcoming Alpha 2.6.1 patch is progressing nicely. There’s still some UI work to complete and stability issues to iron out, but, as you can see in our updated production schedule report, we’re almost ready to get this latest patch into the players’ hands. In fact, we're happy to announce an addition to this patch. Thanks to the great work by the Live Ops, Backend and UI teams, we're moving up the release of the Regional Servers to 2.6.1, so players will be able to choose which server (North America, Europe, or Australia) they join to ensure the best connection possible. Once these are running, we’ll be able to run more tests to assess whether more locations will be needed.

This week I split my time between Foundry 42 offices in the UK and Germany. I’ll be spending another week in the trenches with the devs at Foundry 42 to oversee our advancement on a number of fronts.

Thanks to everyone who showed their support for Star Citizen last weekend at both PAX South and the community-organized Bar Citizen event in San Antonio, TX. It’s just another example of how dedicated and inspiring our fanbase can be. In fact, we’ve been looking for more ways to to bring the community front and center. That’s why this week we premiered a new show called Citizens of the Stars that focuses on the important part you play in Star Citizen. Give it a watch to see some of the incredible things the community is doing.

-- Chris Roberts

That's pretty cool, I thought it was going to be a reasonable amount of time before this happened.

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    Bah humbug...it's all a scam and there is no game!!!!!!

xD

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    They can thank Amazon for that 100%
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    It takes six hours to fly across North America from one end to the other and I live in Texas.  I sure hope they've considered the placement well.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited February 2017
    Australians are going to be happy with this one, so used to play MMO's with pings of 300 to 500~ because of the lack of aussie servers, cloud has its downs but this is one of its ups.

H0urg1ass said:
    It takes six hours to fly across North America from one end to the other and I live in Texas.  I sure hope they've considered the placement well.
    The platform they're using that is Amazon's AWS will allow placement on any location Amazon has to offer, maybe not at first but they can roll servers within any of these:

Interested to see if they will want to add Asian and South American servers as well.
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Very good thing that they have Amazon onboard to finish their game. AWS is a far better service than GCE. And the Amazon engineers will help to customize the star engine even further (and lumberjack has VR support!)

Here is a GCE vs AWS comparsion
    https://thehftguy.com/2016/06/15/gce-vs-aws-in-2016-why-you-should-never-use-amazon/

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Thank you for the link.

Have fun
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Very good thing that they have Amazon onboard to finish their game. AWS is a far better service than GCE. And the Amazon engineers will help to customize the star engine even further (and lumberjack has VR support!)

https://thehftguy.com/2016/06/15/gce-vs-aws-in-2016-why-you-should-never-use-amazon/
    That was an interesting read.
    I've seen a couple of articles comparing Amazon to other providers and they don't really come out that favourably,  I guess the trade-off is the amount of infrastructure they provide. A joyent vs AWS comparison (by Joyent but all comparisons are listed for reproducability) https://www.joyent.com/blog/docker-bake-off-aws-vs-joyent

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787

That was an interesting read.
    I've seen a couple of articles comparing Amazon to other providers and they don't really come out that favourably,  I guess the trade-off is the amount of infrastructure they provide. A joyent vs AWS comparison (by Joyent but all comparisons are listed for reproducability) https://www.joyent.com/blog/docker-bake-off-aws-vs-joyent

AWS with all its features is made for quick access and many features with the trade off of higher latencies. You can set up and access it in no time but all the features demand its price, and it's got the highest price in CPU rendering costs.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.