Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATED - Layoffs Confirmed at Perfect World & Trion- MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageUPDATED: Layoffs Confirmed at Perfect World & Trion - MMORPG.com News

UPDATE FROM TRION WORLDS:

As we come out of our largest launch season in the company's history, we can confirm that we did eliminate a handful of positions to focus our efforts on game development, publishing, and operation.

We always strive to keep everyone following launches and have done so in recent years.  While we did bring a number of people into game development positions, we regrettably could not bring all of them.  We deeply appreciate their efforts, and their contributions should not in any way be diminished or forgotten.

UPDATE FROM PERFECT WORLD:

This week, Perfect World Entertainment did experience a reduction in staff of under 30 employees. Perfect World employs thousands of people from all over the world and decisions like this are always difficult. However, we are incredibly grateful for the contributions of those individuals impacted and will do our best to help each of them through this transition. This reduction in workforce will not impact any of the games published by Perfect World Entertainment.

Rumors are swirling through Facebook that layoffs are underway at both Perfect World Entertainment and Trion Worlds. The topic has come up on Facebook and on other social media outlets. We have reached out to representatives for more information and we have received confirmation of the layoffs from Perfect World.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    That sucks, but since both companies are very anti-customer and also have terrible P2W games, I can only hope that this might make them realize they should change their stance on both of those.
  • rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    edited February 2017
    LaughingTrendy the community manager confirmed on Twitter that she was let go.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Trion will go down the road and it will become a ... "niche" company ( if it isn't already ) , due to the very bad company .. image. Trion will never see the success they had in the past IF they do not change something ( and they will fail to change , with the current "board of director(s)" ).

PW however , that's kinda another story . They are mediocre in EU/NA , but I believe they keep strong numbers due to the Asia market ( if that's still a "think" ) .

So ! Change or gtfo ...

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2017
    Honestly, it was obvious that Trion was on the decline talent-wise since Rift's NMT expansion.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I wish everyone the best that was laid off. I hope they land on their feet and find something better.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    PWE is laying off people only a day after they posted here about an expansion to PWI?  That just seems peculiar.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Leiloni said:
    That sucks, but since both companies are very anti-customer and also have terrible P2W games, I can only hope that this might make them realize they should change their stance on both of those.
    They are the companies with bad customer service and now they fired people like the community manager.

That doesn't look like they want to change.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    IceAge said:
    Trion will go down the road and it will become a ... "niche" company ( if it isn't already ) , due to the very bad company .. image. Trion will never see the success they had in the past IF they do not change something ( and they will fail to change , with the current "board of director(s)" ).

PW however , that's kinda another story . They are mediocre in EU/NA , but I believe they keep strong numbers due to the Asia market ( if that's still a "think" ) .

So ! Change or gtfo ...

To be completely fair, the Asian market is over double the size of the NA and EU markets combined. I think that a big problem with both PW and Trion, both, is that they are creating games targeted at Western gamers, but there is no evidence that Western gamers are all that interested in the genre, to be honest. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    If Scott Hartsman is still CEO the layoffs won't help at Trino.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    :( I still enjoy Rift.

My customer support experience has been positive so far.

I hope they can come out on top.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    DMKano knew about this weeks ago.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited February 2017
    Community manager seems to be the first to get the axe I would avoid that job in future.
    Post edited by kitarad on

• jbladderjbladder Member UncommonPosts: 36

Maybe if these companies had just hired him in the first place they would all be 1# at the same time...

show us how much you love him/her/it? is it this much?

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Funny because on FEB 1,one of the writers for this site talked to a Trion rep and said all was great  and that we shouldn't be skeptical of a rep because the numbers show he is not lying.

Ok that was a whole 2 days ago ..lmao,so in 2 days Trion went from great all is good to oh no we struggling,better layoff people.

What has been in my little saying under my avatar for quite some time now?.....NEVER trust a company spokesman.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Funny because on FEB 1,one of the writers for this site talked to a Trion rep and said all was great  and that we shouldn't be skeptical of a rep because the numbers show he is not lying.

Ok that was a whole 2 days ago ..lmao,so in 2 days Trion went from great all is good to oh no we struggling,better layoff people.

What has been in my little saying under my avatar for quite some time now?.....NEVER trust a company spokesman.

Pump your brakes for a second, layoffs don't mean impending doom, right? I remember when both SWTOR and ESO performed layoffs relatively soon after release. It was like the sky was falling. Meanwhile, years later, here we are, they're still alive and well. 

It sort of reminds me of 2013 when they apparently let go of 80% of their work force and everything was dying!!!! I would say that this round is rather inconsequential based on how it blew up 3 years ago, lol.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited February 2017

We will probably get something like "Nobody was let go, Trion just made room for an influx of new talent. They are actually hiring". Either from DMKano or in an "interview" from Hartsman on this site.

Which one doesn't actually matter, as both spread the same level of spin about this failing company.

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Good. Garbage companies deserve to fail.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    I'm never happy when people lose their jobs, I understand that pain. But I do enjoy seeing a shitty company fail... So it's a strange feeling seeing these rumors happen.  I guess I can simply hope that Trion fails utterly, right along with Perfect World and that all the people who lose their jobs go off and find their dream position in a far better company.
    I like to complain about games.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I don't know about PWE because the last game I played by them was Star Trek many years ago but as far as Trion goes I can say that IMO the cash shop greed is too strong & many bad decisions were and continue to be made.
    Volgore said:

We will probably get something like "Nobody was let go, Trion just made room for an influx of new talent. They are actually hiring". Either from DMKano or in an "interview" from Hartsman on this site.

Which one doesn't actually matter, as both spread the same level of spin about this failing company.

Ok, ok, ok. Rewind back to 2013 when they apparently laid off 80% of their workforce as reported on NUMEROUS sites. It was completely and utterly untrue and, yet, people continued on with this type of talk. I'm sure that @DMKano probably took the same level of shit back then too, lol. FACT! I don't think that any of the Trion games that were around back in 2013 have shut down and, in fact, they have only added new games. Sooooo, were the press releases "spin" back then too? 

Listen, I'm not going to say that they are rolling in cash, but if you did some research or were around in 2013 then I'd also be a little hesitant to go around calling everyone spin doctors, unless that's your thing and you just hate for the sake of hating instead of actual factual evidence. I mean at SOME point you'll be right, so just stick to your guns. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    CrazKanuk said:
    IceAge said:

So ! Change or gtfo ...

To be completely fair, the Asian market is over double the size of the NA and EU markets combined. I think that a big problem with both PW and Trion, both, is that they are creating games targeted at Western gamers, but there is no evidence that Western gamers are all that interested in the genre, to be honest. 
    Judging at the amount of money people seem to be willing to throw at kickstarters, early releases and the like I'd say there's strong evidence western gamers are looking for new titles in the genre, just not crappy bad ones as made by these two houses.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Well deserved for Trion. Their products are P2W garbage.
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

UPDATE FROM PERFECT WORLD:

This week, Perfect World Entertainment did experience a reduction in staff of under 30 employees. Perfect World employs thousands of people from all over the world and decisions like this are always difficult. However, we are incredibly grateful for the contributions of those individuals impacted and will do our best to help each of them through this transition. This reduction in workforce will not impact any of the games published by Perfect World Entertainment.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    CrazKanuk said:
    Wizardry said:

Pump your brakes for a second, layoffs don't mean impending doom, right? I remember when both SWTOR and ESO performed layoffs relatively soon after release. It was like the sky was falling. Meanwhile, years later, here we are, they're still alive and well. 

It sort of reminds me of 2013 when they apparently let go of 80% of their work force and everything was dying!!!! I would say that this round is rather inconsequential based on how it blew up 3 years ago, lol.
    Not even close in ESO's case. They laid off foreign call center support 6 months after launch! Lol Swotor was closer it was in deep shit almost empty. Still, it's not like EA was laying off. Trion is laying for a number of reasons including several under performing games and titles that were scrapped.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Leiloni said:

Lets be real, the people that get the punishment here arent the people that do consumers dirty. Usually the hard working people at these companies are the sacrifices. The greedy corrupt people on top that treat consumers like shit, are still going to keep their job. I hate that

Philosophy of MMO Game Design