Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Race - Class Combo Matrix & Looking for Odd Ones - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageRace - Class Combo Matrix & Looking for Odd Ones - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - MMORPG.com

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen News - The Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Facebook page has been updated with a new look at how race-class combinations will work in the game, including such odd ones as Ogre Druids. It's a fascinating look inside how players will have a variety of choices to create the right characters for themselves.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KxelemKxelem Member UncommonPosts: 27
    There is one thing that I want to humbly put forward: we are making a brand new world. Pantheon has no direct predecessor, it is not a sequel. While it may not come naturally at first, try to let this new world set your expectations of itself. Of course it’s understandable that each of us bring in expectations from our favorite games and experiences. We devs do it as much as anyone. Nevertheless I invite you all to look at these races and classes as familiar in some cases but new and distinct. It’s a practice that has helped us a lot internally, as we push ourselves to think beyond what we might assume “Must fill Box A, B or C” in any given design situation.

One more thing: we wanted to leave ourselves room to grow within each race down the line, be that with new story lines emerging or in expansions or live events. So even if these combos stayed the same through launch, there’s no reason to think they won’t be added to thereafter.

Thank you for explaining this VR ! Great Job on mixing it up :)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't see a lot of creativity there on classes and races,very little.
    I won't be checking out FB because i would burn FB out of existence if i had a choice.
    Summoner should be interesting,nobody has ever matched FF's Summoner class.
    In general though,i notice aside from FFXI and why i loved FFXi so much,pet classes tend to be always the same and just bad.
    What devs tend to do with pet classes is make the combined total the same as any other specific class,which kind of makes pet classes boring then.Hopefully they get it right.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I know most think otherwise,but i don't speak of "other" games because that si what i want,i merely point at other games and the way they did the IDEA.I naturally want EVERY game to be unique on it;s own,but when i point to ideas,i simply want them to MAKE SenSE and not be done the way i have seen the past 30 years.

I am not one of those people that just says "ok we have done it like this since forever,it is acceptable" nope notta ,don't want it.
    Point being ,as long as design ideas in this game make sense,i likely will love it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

A few ideas for the the CLASS designs.

Gnomes:Specific to magic and alchemy,they do the best work in imbues and creating certain potions for good.

Elves:Dwellers of the forest,therefor specific to making wood things that other races would not,example higher end bows/arrows,Staves with SOME magical abilities to imbue for the better good.Example imbue a Bow with some healing abilities.

Dwarves:The stout warrior type,specific to strong blade weapons and shields made of steel.iron.So only Dwarves can make the very best in those areas.

Ogres:Big powerful beings.Specific to eating raw meats and specific to making large powerful clubs.Also specific to larger weapons/shields,they would have a faster dps with such.

Halfling:Tinker types,gadgets and collecting.

Humans:dabble a bit in everything but master of none.Specific to politics and planning.So would offer up bonuses by being party leader and get the best prices in trading with npc's.

Just a few ideas,i don't know anything about those other classes but the Dark Myr one sounds like it is headed in the ShadowKnight direction.A sort of master of the dark arts,some dark magic and dark imbues as well dark potions.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    edited February 2017
    Um... wait.

These classes don't match the class list on their main website.

Am I missing something? Pantheon website has no bard, paladin (crusader instead) or necro.

I am happy to see these classes, I am not complaining. Only confused.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    The Rogue option seems to standout to me with the Gnome as odd. Not that I disagree with Gnome Rogue's, but it's the only non-magic class available to the Gnome. Wonder if the Rogue class might have more magic options to them than what we traditionally would think?
  • zephiriuszephirius Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I seldom post but thought I would throw in my $0.02

After looking at the class/race restriction chart above, and thinking back to games like Everquest and other similar RPGs--both offline and online--I like what I see. One thing I have learned over the years of gaming is that every individual, as noted by Kxelem, brings his/her own expectations based on prior gaming experiences and personal perspective.

The Ogre Druid is a good example of this. In years past I would baulk at the idea of such a combination, but after playing Pillars of Eternity, I am more receptive to it. The traditional high fantasy ogre lives in wilderness-like environments so it makes sense to have ties to nature. It's true some authors, movie makers, game developers, etc portray ogres as curmudgeons, but in a brand new world like Pantheon is, it is crucial to be open-minded. In this case, I am much more open minded to an ogre druid than I would be an ogre rogue, simply due to their size. Again, that's my line of thinking.

Having said all of that, there is always subjective rationalization, but I am inclined to believe VR does not operate in that mode, at least intentionally. Therefore, I believe optimizing sensible cohesion across the board, from lore to gameplay, is VR's objective.

As a former EQ1 player, I am definitely keeping an eager eye on the development of this game. Great job so far, VR!
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Wizardry said:

I won't be checking out FB because i would burn FB out of existence if i had a choice.

In general though,i notice aside from FFXI and why i loved FFXi so much,pet classes tend to be always the same and just bad.

What devs tend to do with pet classes is make the combined total the same as any other specific class,which kind of makes pet classes boring then.Hopefully they get it right.

Why don't you go play your beloved Ffxi, jezz can't you make a post without mentioning that game.

I for one like what I'm seeing, it's harkens back to EQ and Vanguard.

About time imo.

edited February 2017

WellzyC said:

Um... wait.

These classes don't match the class list on their main website.

Am I missing something? Pantheon website has no bard, paladin (crusader instead) or necro.

I am happy to see these classes, I am not complaining. Only confused.

This is the new and improved list Welzy, Bard and Necro are still planned to be post launch but the revised version of the other race / class is pretty much what they are aiming at for launch from my understanding.

Wizardry said:

Why don't you go play your beloved Ffxi, jezz can't you make a post without mentioning that game.

I for one like what I'm seeing, it's harkens back to EQ and Vanguard.

About time imo.

I actually see a lot of creativity as well as braveness to go against the grain. When you step back and give it a long look, the dev team as actually put a lot of thought into this class / race combo list. I am excited to give it a go myself. Think outside the box ! :)

The Rogue option seems to standout to me with the Gnome as odd. Not that I disagree with Gnome Rogue's, but it's the only non-magic class available to the Gnome. Wonder if the Rogue class might have more magic options to them than what we traditionally would think?

Gnomes Gone Rogue?

I invite everyone to review Ceythos’ OP. I’ll add to his comment that Gnomen arcane skills can be applied to physical stealth and hiding their form or disguising it. When you consider that they don’t have a fleshly body to hide in the same way an Elf might, it becomes a more natural possibility that some Gnomes -- particularly those who are adventurous and wily -- to see their unique anatomy and stature as an advantage. An asset.

Here again we asked the question of what is a unique but authentic way to have this race interact with the world. A small-framed, ethereal-bodied, diligent, adventurous and mystical being seemed to us to fit with the Rogue if we stepped outside of the obvious lines of their caster nature. Can you imagine a Gnome assassin darkly flashing between the shadows of a room? I can, and it keeps me up at night.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited February 2017
    The less race/class combo's they have to deal with at launch the better.  The more complexity at launch means the more problems the game will have.
  • Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326
    I admit to being a bit disappointed with dwarves. This line on their race page made me think they'd be a bit more arcane oriented than just enchanter, "Believing peace is a product of strength, the Dwarves seek not an empire, but to increase their mastery in smithing, the arcane as well as battle."
    Oh well.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    :( there goes my combo Archal Summoner , oh well lets wait to see racials

Torval said:

It makes no sense that gnomes can't be fighter types. Is every gnome guard and militia force a mage? What do they do to supplement the magic. It will be interesting to see how they build that particular society.

Gnome Rogue ?
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

Wizardry said:

I too, don't see a lot creativity in your post.

FFXI? Again?!

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
    edited February 2017

Torval said:

It makes no sense that gnomes can't be fighter types. Is every gnome guard and militia force a mage? What do they do to supplement the magic. It will be interesting to see how they build that particular society.

Think about it like this, Gnome isn't a race that relies on brute force. Well, they don't need to, cause they are already smarter than most of other races. Why should they train themselves to be a warrior (for example) when they're not physically capable either? Why not spend their efforts to fields that they're truly capable of?

Above is just an example where the lore will fits the Gnome race's theme.

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    @ Wizardry

I think they have made quite a few upset choices in the class/race chart. Im not really sure what you are talking about. Unless you mean the classes seem too standard or traditional?

Well in that regard there will be a few twists to some of the classes. Im sure as a FF fan you are probably familiar with Geomancer? Pantheon's Druid will have some spells that sound just like it. But for more unique classes like say Corsair or Bluemage, VR has said they will save those type of classes for an expansion.

@ Torval

According to VR

Gnomes only have spell casters and rogues available?

This is reflective of their culture. They are nearly singularly focused in their pursuit of the arcane and hidden secrets. In lieu of training in martial skills they’ve put effort in creating or summoning golems, homunculi, and other forms of false life to protect their grand works.

• ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123

Torval said:

I hate gnomes.

I would also take magic away from humans.

Otherwise, good list. Looking forward to playing Pantheon.

Humans have access to far too many classes.

If you played EQ, VG, etc, while humans had access to more classes than any other race, their stats are all significantly lower than any other race. They were the weakest, with their strength relying in class versatility, and, if I recall, advantages in tradeskills along with not being hated by most races. So what happened is humans were kind of rare to see, and underpowered (arguably). I personally love the ogre druid; ties in with nature and, while brutish, ogres did make for warlords/tacticians, so they are in no disparity of Wisdom, which is a Druid's staple.
  • OshoOsho Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I trust the VR team in this case. They know their own lore and which race fits the most to certain knowledge and skill development.
    Its makes the taste of the classes even more unique if they're associated with specific races or vise versa certain races with specific classes.

A limitation to boost the overall gameplay immersion.
  • ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Wow just read the full article. They are even making race-specific abilities for classes themselves (e.g. Dark Myr went through a very rough adjustment period on Terminus during their fall from grace, which caused them a lot of stress/pain and speicfically "hate" of other races, so for their bard class, they gain access to "darker" songs, which will debuff enemies etc, as opposed to only buffing etc from other playable bard races). I expect a lot of minor chord progressions from them :)
  • AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299

Torval said:

Torval said:

Think about it like this, Gnome isn't a race that relies on brute force. Well, they don't need to, cause they are already smarter than most of other races. Why should they train themselves to be a warrior (for example) when they're not physically capable either? Why not spend their efforts to fields that they're truly capable of?

That could be fine if they can find a way to explain how they deal with martial opponents. Or they could be an enslaved or displaced race due to that. But any established nation would need to be able to fend off invasion from outside forces.

If every other race can be a fighter but you can't defend against that with martial forces then there will need to be an explanation that works. Maybe VR surprise us with something rather clever in that regards.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is odd.

I may not understand your point. But it seemed pretty clear to me from the lore. Martial opponents would be handled by Golems and Humunculi. Yes they are magical constructs but under the direction of the Gnomes to do martial combat. Now maybe you just dont like the idea? And thats cool but its not like there is nothing protecting them.

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I have never been on favor of racially locking a class, or gender locking a class for that matter. If I want to be an ogre thief, I should be able to.
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

That could be fine if they can find a way to explain how they deal with martial opponents. Or they could be an enslaved or displaced race due to that. But any established nation would need to be able to fend off invasion from outside forces.

If every other race can be a fighter but you can't defend against that with martial forces then there will need to be an explanation that works. Maybe VR surprise us with something rather clever in that regards.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is odd.
    How about Gnomes diplomacy with other races? They can use this in the lore so even though Gnomes are physically inferior, they can have their own nation because they're so good in diplomacy.

About invasion, well, we (especially me) still don't what kind of forces are those and what kind of preventive ways that the Gnomes have.

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    The Official forums post I made actually goes into more details, so please click the link to read more:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5228/pantheon-class-and-race-combinations